CATS ONLY VETERINARY HOSPITAL

Founded 1987 • With Angi since November 2005

1533 Dekalb St

Norristown, PA 19401

Welcome to Cats Only Veterinary Hospital located in Norristown, PA. We are a full service veterinary hospital specifically for cats. We offer a number of services including comprehensive physical examinations, vaccinations, preventative health care, laser surgery, Class IV Laser Therapy, digital x-rays, dental health care, digital dental x-rays, in-house laboratory testing, in-house pharmacy, and luxurious boarding in 3 story cat condos. Visit our website to find out why we were voted 2018 Best Veterinarian in Montgomery County....

01/27/2015

Derwin H.

It was my first visit and everything went well. The assistants were very good. You can really tell they love cats. They have a special certification to be able to care for the cats and I was told to only go to a vet with this type of certification. They are supposed to be more health contentious and careful. We did not get to see the vet much. I had no problem scheduling the appointment. Their pricing is pretty high.

Description of Work
I last visited to take the cat in for a checkup.

05/28/2014

Helen R.

They’re a little pricey (but not necessarily more expensive than the others in our area) but they’re very thorough. They're very good with the pets and I'd recommend them for anyone needing a cat specialist.

Description of Work
I’ve seen him for our cats for quite some time. I most recently saw them for a routine checkup on our older cats.

05/21/2014

NANCY M.

It went well the cat was well cared for and all of the services were performed that I was charged for. My kid-cat was in good shape when he came home.

Description of Work
Boarded my Maine C*** cat for 9 days including a bath, hygienic shave, nail clipping and a supply of Revolution.

02/05/2014

JAMES F.

He is doing well. We had really good support from Metropolitan and the doctor. We could call him up anytime we had questions, and we could get any answers within 24 hours. The hospital is open 24 hours, and so you can run in any time you have to. The doctor is good, he is personable, he is holistic kind, and does not over prescribe. He is a competent doctor, and he knows his limitations, he knows when he doesn't know something, so he is good with those kind of things. He is a little expensive but not too bad. When we first went to him, he had a hole in the wall, now he has a very up to date office, and he does x-rays in his office, and he is very up scale, but he is worth it.

Description of Work
I used Cats Only Veterinary Hospital and my doctor is Dr. Osk. We have a sick kitty, who just finished chemo in September.

09/30/2013

Phil E.

He's a great veterinarian. He's knowledgeable and takes good care of my cats. I'd highly recommend his services.

Description of Work
My cat had a blood test, and goes in for special medication and food.

08/06/2013

Helen R.

They are very thorough, kind, caring, and gentle with our pets. Dr. Ask is highly skilled, and knows what he is doing. We’ve been going to them since 1991, we’ve been very happy with their service and would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
I took one of our cats in for routine shots and blood work.

08/03/2013

Meredith M.

Since moving to Southeast PA in February of 2013, my husband and I have been taking our Persian cats to Dr. Ask. I liked the ability to go to an vet's office without dogs (we do not have dogs in our home) and to have a vet with experience in cat-specific issues. My sweet boy, Samson, had been suffering from chronic renal failure for approximately a year and a half when we moved. We had several visits to Dr. Ask for urinalysis, blood work, exams, etc. I was pleasantly surprised that the cost of blood work here was much less than what I was paying previously in CA. Dr. Ask was very kind and loving towards both of my Persians and very honest about Samson's prognosis. We also had to leave town for several days and decided to bring our cats to the boarding facility. We had them bathe, brush, and clip the nails of the cats. Our instructions were followed exactly and we felt great about leaving our cats in the hands of medical professionals. Unfortunately, Samson's kidneys got worse and seemed to shut down completely in mid-April, at which point we made the choice to put him to sleep. We were able to bring his twin sister, Delilah, with us to the appointment and Samson was put to sleep in the comfortable office (after looking out the window on the small window seat). It was one of the hardest things I've done, but the staff was compassionate. The entire staff is friendly and helpful. And the office is an adorable older Victorian building that's had the first floor converted to the medical facility. I will continue to board Delilah here and bring her to Dr. Ask for all of her veterinary needs!

Description of Work
Treatment of cat for chronic renal failure, overnight boarding.

07/19/2013

Kenneth K.

My cat had ongoing eating and health problems. His condition was deteriorating. Dr. Ask was contacted on 7-12-13 and stated that there would probably be no improvement and left the decision up to me. On 7-15-13 the cat was rapidly failing. I arranged for Dr. Ask to make a housecall for the purpose of euthanizing the cat. Upon arrival to euthanize a beloved pet he had treated since his practice's inception the only words to me concerned signing the invoice. Nothing more. He administered a sedative. About 2 minutes later he gave the injection to stop the heart. The cat let out a horrific scream that lasted 10-15 seconds as Dr. Ask casually said to him "I know you don't like me." I will hear this scream as long as I live. He bit through his tongue as he died. I was too shocked to speak. When questioned the next day Dr. Ask stated that such outcomes were not unusual. I had with great reluctance accepted the fact that his life had come to an end. I will never be able to accept the fact that he died in agony with a horrible scream of pain. Draw your own conclusions.

Description of Work
Euthanization of a cat

Category veterinarian,pet cremation

We are truly sorry for the loss of Sam and we will help you during this grieving period as best we can. Initially we were not going to respond to your post so that you could heal and grieve about your loss in a manner that suited you. However, your words and actions online tell us that you are not taking this well and we would recommend that you speak to someone. We do not feel posting negative reviews about our hospital and updating them on a daily basis will be therapeutic nor afford you any positive results. You need to find a more positive outlet for your feelings. You are not thinking clearly during this emotional time. We know this by the things you are writing about us. You claim "the only words to me concerned signing the invoice. Nothing more." When we arrived at your house, we discussed how Sam was doing, what medications he was on, took Sam's weight and confirmed he lost additional weight, discussed response to the medications, etc. Previously, we had discussed that Monday was the day you were going to make the decision if Sam had made no improvements. We had also spoke on the phone earlier in the day where you had confirmed your desire to euthanize that day. In fact, we have been communicating almost daily via phone, sometimes 2-3 times a day, during his final weeks. We had you sign 2 forms, an authorization form allowing us to perform euthanasia and an estimate informing you of the charges. With each step in the process, we asked if you were ready to proceed. This was asked before the sedative and before the final injection. We proceeded with each step when you were comfortable. The implication that we swooped into your home, euthanized you cat and rushed out could be nothing farther from the truth. You claim "He administered a sedative. About 2 minutes later he gave the injection to stop the heart. The cat let out a horrific scream which lasted for 10-15 seconds." What you describe is a neurologic response. Some patients will appear to gasp for breaths, make sounds, etc. We discussed this at that time and two days later when you came to the hospital. This also occurred when I put my Gizmo down 2.5 years ago. Upon the final injection, she lifted her head and growled at me. That was not easy for me as I am sure Sam's reaction was not easy for you. Just know that it was not Sam making the noise. Sam had passed by then and it was strictly a neurologic response that probably resulted from a combination of a disease, medications and the sedative we gave. "I had with great reluctance accepted that his life was at an end." This is OK but you are facing this reality alone and without any assistance. "I will never be able to accept that he died in agony with a horrible scream of pain." Sam did not die in agony. Sam did not scream out because of pain. We will probably never be able to convince you of this but this was not the case. We decided to euthanize him so he did not have to die in agony. With a diagnosis of cancer, continued weight loss as a failure to respond to treatment, this was Sam's best option to prevent suffering. The only reason we are responding to your posts is we feel we must intervene in your chosen grieving process. This is not healthy. We assume you are continually running the events from that day in your head during this emotional time. We do not mind the initial negative review as each individual grieves differently. However, you are updating this review daily, you are changing and distorting the facts and your recollection of the events are not correct and are evolving as you update your posts. There are many pet loss support organizations that can help you though this time (see below). Again, we are very sorry for your loss. Please take our recommendation and seek some additional help. ASPCA Pet Loss Hotline (877) GRIEF-10 Cornell Pet Loss Support Hotline (607) 253-3932 (Second post) My cat had ongoing eating and health problems. His condition was deteriorating. I contacted Dr. Ask on 7-12-13. He said there would probably be no improvement and left the decision up to me. On 7-15-13 the cat was rapidly failing. I arranged for Dr. Ask to make a housecall to euthanize the cat. Upon arrival to euthanize a beloved pet he had treated since his practice's inception the only words to me concerned signing the invoice. Nothing more. He administered a sedative. About 2 minutes later he gave the injection to stop the heart. The cat let out a horrific scream which lasted for 10-15 seconds as Dr. Ask casually said to him "I know you don't like me." He bit through his tongue as he died. I will hear this scream for the rest of my life. I was too shocked to speak. When questioned the next day Dr. Ask said that such outcomes were not unusual. I had with great reluctance accepted that his life was at an end. I will never be able to accept that he died in agony with a horrible scream of pain. Draw your own conclusions.

03/14/2013

Michelle S.

I took our 6 month old kitty to get spayed. I was really worried about having the operation done and after researching I specifically wanted laser surgery. Dr. Ask performed the surgery. It was an excellent operation. No problems afterward and I wish I had taken a picture of her scar after the surgery. It was so neat and clean. You would never even know that she had surgery as it did not phase her in the least. Dr. Ask is the person to go to for this operation. The staff is exceptional as well.

Description of Work
Laser Spay Surgery for kitten.

12/29/2012

AGNES D.

I brought my cat," Cosmo" to Dr. Ask office because I felt little bumps on his skin. The assistant in the office was very nice. We waited for the Dr in a small room, Cosmo was nervous. He is a very docile sweet boy and he cuddled close to me as we waited. The doctor came in grabbed my poor cat and shook him when he put him down poor Cosmo didnt know what was happening. No kind words, never pet the cat...soothed him or talked to him. He looked at the cat's mouth and said "all his teeth must come out" I was speechless. The doctor said he has fleas, yet there were no fleas on the table, some white dander was there from the irritation of his skin. Cosmo is an indoor cat. I asked the doctor what was wrong with the cat's mouth he said his gums had receded and he must be drooling over everything. Well, the cat does not drool, he eats well and is playful and happy. I couldnt wait to get out of there.

Description of Work
He gave me some medicine for flea prevention.....said what I was using was no good.

Category veterinarian

We are sorry your experience at Cats Only was anything less than exceptional. Unfortunately, your comments are not completely accurate. You claimed "the doctor said he has fleas, yet there were no fleas on the table." You are correct in the fact that we did not see any fleas...we rarely do. Typically, the only evidence your cat has fleas are in the form of (1) flea dirt which presents as black debris when you rub the fur or (2) scabs/"bumps" in target areas (around the neck or above the tail base) which Cosmo had. Since cats are such fastidious groomers, we only see evidence of fleas, not the actual fleas. What you failed to mention was that you were already using an over-the-counter flea product. Your cat has fleas until proven otherwise since we detected "bumps" on the skin above the tail base (possibly representing a flea allergy) and you were currently using an over-the-counter flea product (that our experience tells us is not as effective as our products). You also claimed that "he looked at the cat's mouth and said "all his teeth must come out" I was speechless." Unfortunately, this is un-true. In fact, Cosmo has teeth already missing. We gave you an estimate for a dentistry with the possibility of 3 tooth extractions, not "all his teeth," as you claimed. We pointed out the 3 problem teeth to you, showed you what was wrong with the teeth, and told you why we think they should be extracted. Additionally, we never decide to extract a tooth until we have the patient under anesthesia and can adequately probe and evaluate each tooth. We are a bit confused as to why you would make this false claim against us when our recommendations were put on paper for you and explained to you in detail. Finally, you claimed "the doctor came in grabbed my poor cat and shook him when he put him down poor Cosmo didn’t know what was happening." This is a lie. As you stated, "he is a docile sweet boy." Your Cosmo is not aggressive and was nothing more than a pleasure to evaluate and treat. He was so good in our office, we were able to completely evaluate his mouth and give you an accurate dental estimate (some cats do not allow us to get close to their mouths). We are perplexed as to why you would say something to this effect which is far from the truth and very misleading. Being as we were able to evaluate your cat’s mouth thoroughly, we know that there was no need for additional restraint and your claim is false. The only services performed during the examination were we placed a flea product called Revolution on the skin on the back of the neck and administered an oral de-wormer. Sometimes, to administer the tablet we employ the scruff technique where one holds the skin on the back of the neck to administer the tablet. If this is what you are referring to, rest assured this was in no way what you described. Based on this response, we feel that you are not a good fit for our hospital. We cannot serve you or Cosmo's needs, especially if you are misrepresenting the truth and lying about your experience with us. The other comments about our hospital on Angie’s List are a true testament about who we are, what we do and the high quality medicine we provide. Please seek veterinary care from another hospital.

12/13/2012

todd charles B.

Overall the treatment of our pet was excellent and we will contuinue using them.

Description of Work
Our cat needed to have an operation due to health issues.

11/15/2012

JAMES F.

This cat is a big (cat 17 lbs Bengal) and the estimate was reasonably close to the final bill. The cat was dropped off in the morning and picked up in the afternoon. He was concerned about his behavior at the facility otherwise he would have probably stayed later but he felt that the cat would calm down if it was in familiar surroundings. we came back several times over the next couple of weeks with questions and suggestions about keeping him calm so he didn't hurt himself and Dr Ask was very helpful with these follow-up visits (he did not charge for them either) and with suggestions for medications that might help. Our cat is doing very well now and leaping up on things he was struggling to get to before (and now things he should not be leaping on).

Description of Work
We had adopted a stray who had a bulge on the side of his abdomen. The bulge was caused by a hernia in his abdomen wall. Dr. Ask explained everything about how it might have happened, what he would need to do, how much care would be needed, and an estimate of the cost and time involved. He performed the surgery and all the post-op follow-ups.

07/03/2012

NANCY M.

Brought my cat in the office was greeted and taken in a room to wait for the doctor. The doctor's assistant immediately came in the room weighed and put my information and concerns in the computer and then the doctor came in. He examined my cat, talked to me at length to alleviate some concerns and took lab test. Dr. ask went to his lab and checked the tests and returned with the result. I was very happy with the service I received and will go back again.

Description of Work
Dr Ask did a complete yearly examination on my 3 year old Maine C*** Cat and the cat was at complete ease with him. Dr. Ask is an absolutely professional person while being very personable. His fees are very, very reasonable and he is always available to talk to you about any and all concerns for your fury baby.

04/16/2012

Tom K.

I would give them an A overall. I will continue to use them in the future.

Description of Work
I took my cat here for a urinary blockage.

02/05/2012

Mary B.

All of our experiences with Cats Only have been positive. We bring our cats in for regular check-ups at least twice per year; and then as needed as issues arise.

Description of Work
We have been bringing our very senior cats to Cats Only for several years. We cannot say enough about Dr. Ask and his staff. They are efficient, punctual and professional; and they truly care about the cats and their health. They know our cats very well and we never feel like a number. The service and care is personal. The hours are convenient with evening and Saturday hours available. We always get a friendly reminder call for appointments and follow-ups. When we take our cats in for exams, it is an easy and smooth process. After Dr. Ask examines the cat, the staff will give you a low and high estimate of the services which is helpful. Cats Only also has a boarding service which is convenient and affordable. We know our cats our well taken care of when we go away. They also do grooming. Dr. Ask has made a tremendous investment in the facility and property, making several upgrades and renovations during his ownership. It is also a great environment for the cats....no loud scary barking dogs to stress them out. When one of our cats passed away, Dr. Ask and his staff were understanding and helpful. They sent us a sympathy card signed by all the staff. They really go above and beyond in all they do. We highly recommend Dr. Ask and Cats Only Veterinary hospital.

09/02/2011

GARY W.

We have decided to transfer the care of all of our cats fit to this facility. I believe this is an exceptionally good resource for the care of cats.

Description of Work
We have three cats. Our usual vet had recently "gone corporate" and with that the quality of care had declined. We were very fortunate to find Cat's Only Veterinary Hospital in Angie's list. Our eldest cat was having problems. It turned out that she had feline leukemia. She was evaluated by the staff there in a very thorough manner. Blood testing was done. Dr. Ask was extremely attentive and professional is discussing the situation with us. We could not have expected more. We were given a tour of the physical space in clinic. It was clean and modern and quite impressive.

07/11/2011

LINDA B.

Phoenix, my 18 year old cat, was in serious trouble. He had gone to another vet, who prescribed him an antibiotic for his teeth. The pills had an adverse effect on Phoenix and he began vomiting and could not keep any food down. I took him all the way out in Norristown because there was no way I was taking him back to that other vet. Dr. Ask's office is really nice and I immediately felt comfortable being there. When Dr. Ask came in, he was so gentle with Phoenix and gave him a comprehensive exam. I had my opinions about what was up with Phoenix and he had his. I really respected Dr. Ask for listening to my opinions. Most vets don't listen to what you have to say. He had to be hospitalized over a couple nights and i was allowed to visit him in the back whenever I wanted. He also taught me how to administer fluids for when I took him home. Long story short, we worked together in getting Phoenix better. He truly saved his life. One thing I have to say though is this....do your research. Many illnesses have the same symptoms. You should do the research before going to your vet appointment. The vet has his professional opinions, but it helps to say, "But what if it could be such and such". Dr. Ask listens. He is very empathetic to neurotic cat owners like me.

Description of Work
Phoenix had blood work done, a geriatric exam, fecal and urinary tests, hospital stay for a couple nights with fluids, x-rays, and a barium swallow.

07/08/2011

Janice E.

The exam went smoothly. The staff were great. My cat seemed quite calm considering how much he loves going to the Vet's. It is so nice going into the office not hearing the loud barking of dogs. This is a CAT'S only facility, less stress on kitty's nerves not hearing the barking. The Doctor is terrific. Kids around about all the hair my persians have. The exam can be challenging at times especially when I do not keep on top of the grroming. By the way, they do grooming at the cat hospital and do a beautiful job. What can I say but Cat's Only Vet. Hospital is the best!!!

Description of Work
I called the morning after my cat became ill the night before. They were able to get him in to see him. A thorough exam was done and the Doctor had a Senior Screening done being my call is up in years. When I see these services that are required, I feel confident knowing that my cat is in good hands being taken care of.

06/16/2011

Tammy E.

My senior cat had an episode of difficulty urinating and was incontinent of blood tinged urine. This lasted less than an hour and after that she was normal again. Of course this happens at 9pm. The next morning I called and got an appointment for the same day. I had found Cats Only on the internet and liked that my cat didn't have to be stared at by dogs in the waiting room since they only take cats. I agree with the other reviewer who said that they felt like they were in a human spa. This place is amazing. Beautifully decorated, calming music, lucky bamboo plants, soothing colors. I was nervous because I thought it was going to be very expensive but for all of the testing my cat had done it was extremely low. Waited less than 5 minutes in the waiting room. They were very kind and friendly and non-judgemental. Unfortunately, I had been less than diligent in my cats tooth care. He explained that because of her age if she developed an infection because of the tartar build up, etc that they would treat the infection with antibiotics but anesthesia was too risky. My cat is almost 20 years old. I am so glad that we found a wonderful vet to treat my cat's final days. (Hopefully years). They are about 45 minutes from where I live but so worth the trip. When they were done we got a tour of the facility. I have been to several vets over the years and was never given a tour before. By the end of the visit the doctor and staff felt like old friends. Now that I think about it I can't remember other vets telling me how much everything was going to cost prior to doing the work. I was given the chance to look over all of the tests and decide if this was something that I could afford without having to keep asking, and how much would that be? Every test was explained in detail. There were no surprises. I am extremely grateful for the kindness my cat and I were treated with. I also must add that I know my cat must have felt somewhat more comfortable here because she shed A LOT less than she normally does at vet visits.

Description of Work
New patient exam, fecal exam, urine culture and sensitivity, senior screen which includes several blood tests that evaluates the cat's kidneys, liver, electrolytes, complete blood count, thyroid, urine and pancreas.

05/31/2011

Natalie D.

This staff is the best. They really handle cats well and the equipment is top of the line. The pricing is also very low. I never tested my cat for FIV or feline leukemia before because my former vet wanted 80$ for it. This place only charged $46 & they did a nail trim free of charge. Dr. Ask is a very kind and knowledgeable. I would recommend this place to anyone that has cats.

Description of Work
Annual exam for my 2 year old cat included; CYSTOCENTESIS, FVRCP PUREVAX 3 YEAR BOOSTER, RABIES PUREVAX 1 YEAR VACCINE, FECAL ANALYSIS, FELINE LEUKEMIA/FIV/HEARTWORM TEST, BLOOD DRAW, & CHEMISTRY PANEL/CBC/URINALYSIS. The last 2 items were to try to diagnose a heart murmur that Dr. Ask found in the exam.

02/08/2011

Patrick K.

They took me on short notice, which was good. They are cats only so you don't have to worry about dogs being there. They do boarding of cats if you need to leave them. They gave me a tour of the facility, which was kind of interesting. The price was a little steep. They saw me as soon as I walked in.

Description of Work
I used Cats Only Veterinary Hospital because one of my cats was definitely sick and they took me in the day before Thanksgiving to take a look at her.

Category veterinarian,kennels

02/01/2011

David M.

So far, our cats are healthy. One cat has health issues, which is being worked on. So far, things are going well. I don't have anything to complain about. They have always been helpful, even in emergencies. We're happy with everything. They could be cheaper, but the process is probably appropriate for what we have.

Description of Work
We use this hospital for veterinary care for our cats.

08/03/2010

Antoinette B.

My visits to Vets have not been good usually. This visit was an exception. My cat hates these vet visits. When you enter the decor relaxes you. The colors are calming , soft music is playing and you hear the waterfall running. I felt like I was in a spa for humans. Everyone was so friendly and caring. They answered all my questions. They also gave me suggestions for home care for my obese cat. Dr. Ask was fantastic. He was very comforting to my cat. He knew how to exam my irate cat. He examined my cat completely! I will use Cats Only for all my cat visits.

Description of Work
My cat was given his annual exam, rabies shot, revolution shot. His exam included : teeth, belly, feeling kidneys, listening to heart, taking his temperature checking his eyes and coat.

06/29/2009

HILARY B.

Dr Ask is by far the best cat vet I have been to in this area. Cutting edge laser surgery, quality of care and the type of customer service that you just don?t get any more. He and his staff really go above and beyond compared to some of the other local vets I have used. My cat had become very ill and I thought it was the end for him. I called Cat?s Only and the staff was very accommodating and they worked me into their already busy schedule. They kept him overnight and put him on an IV until the blood test came back. When the CBC results came back and were fairly normal, Dr Ask felt that something may have been missed. He called the lab and requested they manually review the blood and not use the machine. This time the results showed a rare blood parasite. Dr Ask was then able to properly treat my little boy and now he is thriving and shows no signs of ever being ill.

Description of Work
Extremely sick cat. Exam, tests, medication, hospitalization.

05/16/2009

KAREN W.

This is an old cat. He has kidney problems and allergies and is on medication. I took him to the vet about a month and a half ago after he had a seizure. He had blood work, x-rays taken and was put on medication. The service on 5-1-09 for approximately $350.00 was for a checkup and blood work to see if he was improving. Dr. Aske is very thorough and calls back quickly when he gets the test results. He gives an estimate before any work is done. Both my cats have been going to this veterinarian for a while. The cat's blood work on the checkup showed he is improving.

Description of Work
Checkup and blood work.

Veterinarians
    Animal Boarding Kennels
    Animal Burial/Cremation
    Animal Grooming
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Check

FULL SERVICE VETERINARY HOSPITAL FOR CATS. COMPREHENSIVE PHYSICAL EXAMINATIONS, VACCINATIONS, PREVENTATIVE HEALTH CARE, CO2 LASER SURGERY, CLASS IV LASER THERAPY, DIGITAL X-RAYS, DENTAL HEALTH CARE, IN-HOUSE LABORATORY TESTING, IN-HOUSE PHARMACY, BOARDING IN 3 STORY CAT CONDOS, AND GROOMING.

Ask for details.