Conestoga Buildings

Founded 1989 • With Angi since May 2005

4.4

202 Orlan Rd

New Holland, PA 17557

Conestoga Buildings has been in the building business since 1989. Beginning as a family-owned lumberyard nestled in the Pennsylvania heartland, the company sold pole building materials packages exclusively to the professional building trade. As the demand for quality pole buildings grew, the company soon decided the time was right to provide a complete design and build service solution for customers in the pole buildings market—and Conestoga Buildings was established. Today, Conestoga Buildings provide a total package of design, engineering and construction of quality pole buildings. From unique commercial structures, agricultural and equine facilities to residential structures that blend aesthetics and purpose, Conestoga Buildings offer unique, distinctive solutions in pole building design and construction. Conestoga Buildings headquarters is located in New Holland, PA....

09/01/2021

George F.

It was excellent experience, very professional and work was done on time.

Description of Work
He framed out the 2nd floor addition.

03/24/2016

Patty H.

Description of Work
If you are out of state do not use. Enough said!!!

01/07/2015

Kelly N.

I have waited more than 6 months to write this because I thought I needed time and perspective, but I am still very unhappy about my dealings with this company. August 2012 we paid a deposit and hired CB to build the garage for us. We were told that once they started, it should only be a week to 10 days to get the building done from start to finish. We had some work to do with the local power company to move an electrical pole and bury the lines before CB could get in and do any work. In the meantime, CB was getting the plans through the county for permits and approval. We let CB know our end of the work was done in late November but we didn't hear from CB for 5 weeks, so we reached out to them in January. Granted, the winter weather was bad and we knew it, so we weren't expecting to be taken care of immediately, we just wanted to know where we were on their calendar. However, another month goes by and still nothing from CB. We contacted the sales guy who finally gave us a project manager's name; Chris Gonzalez. We reached out to Chris and were told we would probably get started in February. My husband got a call from Chris in the evening February 25, 2014 saying the footers would be dug the next morning. I stayed home to meet the guys and pointed out where the new power lines were buried. They told me that they had been told the place in particular to dig and it would be fine. Of course, I was not shocked when the power went out because they had not called Miss Utility in advance to have the utilities marked. When the power company came out about 30 minutes later, the CB employees told them that WE were the ones who were supposed to call it in to Miss Utility!! I explained to the power company supervisor (who was super mad) exactly what kind of notice we had from CB that they were coming and that if there was any fine, to send it to CB. Later the Operations Manager did mention they had to pay for their mistake. Another set of people came to do the framing and the shell and those guys were great. They worked hard, knew what they were doing and even worked late into the cold, dark February evening with their truck lights being their only light because they knew snow was coming the next day. I have absolutely no complaints about them and even sent an email to Chris mentioning how great they were, thinking positive reinforcement would be a good thing. Next, in the middle of March, I learned that neither CB nor their electrical subcontractor had arranged with the power company to have an electric meter and service run from the new hub to the garage. I had to contact the power company, open a work order, go pick up the meter base, arrange for the power company's electrical designer to come to the house and meet the electrician so they could talk about where the meter and power lines would go. Another delay. March 31 and I let Chris know the garage doors were still not installed, the electrical wasn't done, we had no lighting or garage door openers or concrete and I hadn't seen Miss Utility out to mark new lines. Some of this information was news to Chris and he arranged for the garage doors to be installed a couple days later and the lines were then marked as well. To say Chris is not a good communicator is an understatement. I learned that when you send an email to Chris with multiple questions, you would only get answers to one or two things at a time. By this point we had reached out to Chris' boss (Kevin), who was totally useless and NEVER returned calls or seemed to do anything. We called to try and get Kevin's boss and were given to Andy, the Operations Manager. Andy was a very nice guy who always responded and, we felt, actually listened and tried to get things done, but he wasn't involved in every step so we still had issues and had to bring him in on things. We then needed someone to dig a trench for the new electrical and were again in limbo for THREE WEEKS while waiting for an answer from CB as to who would be doing the work. When my husband reached out to Chris, we were told he "was under the impression that this was taken care of" and we learned that CB did not include installing the electrical lines from the hub to the garage and WE needed to hire someone to do it. I am sorry but who has electrical line just running in the yard? Doesn't everyone need to get the power hooked up to the building? Why wouldn't it be in the pricing? I didn't even think to ask about this when signing the contract because I didn't know I needed to. In mid-April I had to take several hours and go to the County to get an additional permit because CB's electrical contractor only works online and the County needed someone to do something in person. So that was completed by me, again with no notice and just an email from Chris forwarding an email from the electrician and no one explaining to me, a lay person, what I was doing. Fortunately the people at the County were understanding and helped me. April 23rd we asked about concrete being poured and were told it would be the next week. May 5th the electrical inspection failed and roof trusses weren't done correctly. Also, the concrete subcontractor CB hired didn't show up again all day. May 8th we were told the concrete guy would be there on May 12 but he was coming from about 2 hours away. May 15th the concrete guy shows up at 2:30pm with the beginnings of a stone base and leaves promptly at 5pm after taking many cigarette breaks. May 16th, the concrete guy again shows up at 2pm, this time with a helper. Turns out that CB had called to fire him and he wouldn't take their calls. They got the stone base done before they left at 7pm and it looked good to our very untrained eye. He also dented the new building and we learned that CB was sending another concrete contractor on May 17. May 20 and a new crew finally came and had to add more stone because the previous concrete guy didn't lay the correct stone base and did some shady things to make it look like it was right. This new crew was great, professional and quick. June 2 and the final inspection failed again and CB needed to replace the dented parts of the building shell. FINALLY!! Mid-June and we were done with CB Structures! We are in Virginia and I think CB is incapable of operating this far from their home base in Pennsylvania. No one from CB ever came to the actual job site in all of the 15 weeks we were under construction, even with our issues. I feel like we were the general contractor on this because we were keeping CB advised of progress, inspections, work being done or not being done, we were going to the County and the power company. I would have given CB Structures an "F" in every category, but the building is nice and we do get compliments on it. It is too bad because if they had done a good job, I could and would recommend them to everyone. if you look at my reviews I do spread praise where it is due.

Description of Work
Built a detached 20x30 garage

Category garage doors, garage builders

Thank you for the feedback. Although this review is difficult for me to read, I am glad that you finally took the time to express the problems with the construction of your Garage. As I read your comments, I would say that it seems we failed to communicate clearly and timely on many occasions. I took the time to review your project and speak with some of our people involved. First of all, we should have been clear on the scheduling. Winter start dates are often unpredictable but we should have kept you fully informed. Apparently there was a problem in our arranging Miss Utility before start of construction, that was a mistake on our part compounded by the crew digging without this site being marked. Regarding the electrical hook-up, it is our practice to wire our structures as contracted and to stub out a conduit to be routed by the owner's electrician to the chosen electrical source. I reviewed our contract and saw that while that was stated, it was stated in a way that could be confusing to you, our customer. That was poor communication on our part, we should have been very clear on the scope of electrical work. You also expressed a bad experience with our subcontractor that did the concrete work and that he also dented the building. Because of these problems, we no longer use that contractor and apologize for the delay and inconvenience caused by getting someone else to do the work. We have built hundreds of buildings in VA over the past few years. Many of our subcontractors are from VA and we now have an office in Marshall, VA to better serve your state. We hope to please every customer every time, but in your case, we fell down. It is especially upsetting that we were not readily accessible to your call of concern. These are things we continuously strive to improve. Your feedback reinforces the importance of communicating clearly and often on project status and on correcting issues quickly. Again, I apologize for the problems you had, thanks for letting us know. After these problems, I believe your garage did turn out well and we hope you get good use of it for many years to come. Dave Templeton President, Conestoga Buildings 717-354-2613

06/06/2014

Tammy T.

Their representative was very polite, kind, on time, professional, knowledgeable, and open to all our ideas . It just turned out that our project/site just was not a fit for what they do. We need to build a garage into a bank and there are several challenges. We're going to need more than just a flat pad and a pole building. I appreciated that he did not push us to do like all the other contractors that came out which was tell us to build a retaining wall first and then build garage inside the retaining wall. He gave us ideas and pretty much confirmed that we need to go a different way that we are going to follow through with since they were not able to help us out although he really did by offering us his well-informed suggestions. If our site and project was a fit, we would have had no problems working with them, especially Moses, as they have a great reputation and awesome buildings.

Description of Work
We met with their wonderful representative, Moses, who was out to give us a quote on a 2-car garage.

01/09/2014

Clay F.

They did an absolutely first class job from design through construction. We are very happy with our new barn.

Description of Work
CB Structures constructed a new pole barn on our property.

08/07/2013

Robert G.

I got 3 estimates on building our garage. CB Structures was a few thousand dollars higher than the other two estimates, but I chose them because of the great reviews they had received on Angie's List. Because of the steepness of our hill, we had to use a foundation instead of pole barn structure. We also had to change plans and location once we found a septic pipe in the original site. All work was subcontracted and I generally liked the companies that CB Structures hired to do the work. The main problem was lack of coordination. There was no on-site supervisor since the supervisor for the project was stationed in Pennsylvania, hundreds of miles away. The supervisor was also very busy and conversations I had with him would sometimes not get communicated to the crew. So mistakes happened. The biggest mistake was that the masons did not build the wall according to specifications and put the door in the wrong place because they were working off an old plan. I could live with the changes, but there was no apology or admission of error. The salesman would become very defensive about any concerns expressed and would never take responsibility for mistakes. I had to hire their electrician myself since the forms he had to complete for CB Structures were too cumbersome. The carpenters apparently ran out of nails and finished the trim with staples instead. The trim started to fall off the building within two days of construction. I am hiring an outside person to nail it correctly. Two months after the barn was built, I got a bill for an additional $250. Neither the cashier nor the salesman could tell me where the charge came from or respond to my concerns. I finally figured out that they were charging me for the electrician that I had arranged myself. The original contract stated $2700 for electric, but the electrician only charged me $2450; so CB Structures decided that I owe them $250 even though I hired the electrician directly. It's too much of a hassle to take them to court, so I'll pay the $250. Overall, the building turned out well and was completed in a timely fashion, but I would never use CB Structures again and hope I've heard the last of them.

Description of Work
Built a residential garage

03/05/2013

Lisa S.

I had a very good experience with CB Structures Inc. I had a friend who had theirs done and I was placing prices on garages and they kept going up and up and someone suggested a pole barn and I thought it would look cheesy. They came out here, I have a very narrow lot and I wanted to block the traffic with it so they helped me place it, they helped me build it. I said this is what I wanted, can you do this, do that and they just switched thing around, guys came and it was like an old barn raising. They put a colored sheet on it so it looks pretty sharp, it is a great garage.

Description of Work
I used CB Structures Inc to put up a garage for me. They put up a pole barn for me and people keep stopping and asking me who did that. It is a storey and a half and they custom built it the way I wanted it.

09/17/2012

David M.

Overall the process when well. The installers did a very nice job and we are very happy with our new Pavilion. Thank you!

Description of Work
Built a 16 x 14 Pavilion with a standing seam metal roof.

08/13/2012

Candace B.

I didn't have any complaints. The individual I have been working with has been great.

Description of Work
I got a bid from CB Structures for building a barn.

08/06/2012

Christine S.

I saw their ad in the Penny Power called them on Sat July 28th to get a quote. Got transfer to Mike. He was at a show and we agreed on a call back time for Monday. Never called. I gave it a couple of days. Did the quote online still no phone call from the company. I called the main office again and got Jamie. He took my information again and still today the 6th no call back. We were willing to pay good money for a nice garage. Their lost.

Description of Work
Trying to get a garage quote.

Category garage builders

First, we would like to thank you for giving us constructive feedback. We are very sorry that we did not respond to your call in a timely manner. It is always our intent to respond to sales inquires as quickly as possible, and we appreciate this issue being brought to our attention. I have shared your review with our management team and it has prompted up to take another look at our process of handling sales inquires. While we understand there is nothing we can do to change what has already happened we want you to know we could have a salesperson in your area any day next week, or at a time that suits your schedule. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and letting us know how we can better serve our customers.

07/31/2012

Karen B.

I called them on a Tuesday and told them what I was looking for. When I called them on Thursday, they hadn't done the quote yet. I was unhappy about that. When they sent it out, they didn't pay any attention to what I said. I said I wanted a metal roof and hardiplank siding and they gave me a quote for a shingle roof and aluminum siding. I wasn't impressed. Their price was average but it was still more than I wanted. They were nice on the phone but two days later they still didn't have my estimate. I might give them a second chance.

Description of Work
CB Structures gave us a quote to build a garage.

05/31/2012

natan H.

They did a very good job. They did what they said they would do, were right on time, and did good work. Their price was competitive and it was a very positive experience overall!

Description of Work
We had a tree that fell on our garage because of lightning, which they repaired.

Penny C.

The experience was great overall! The price was amazing, and they had the barn up in 4 days. They were very easy to work with. The technicians were on time, respectful, and worked hard. I don't have anything bad to say about the experience and I'd highly recommend them to anybody!

Description of Work
They built a pole barn for us.

Robert L.

Overall, the experience was really good. The architect went way above and beyond to give us something specific to our needs. They were really good about adding things when needed, and were flexible. The only issue was that they dropped the material off very early, so it sat in our yard for awhile, but they did a great job with the building. The building does look amazing. They didn't haul anything away, but that wasn't stated in the contract. They got the job done quickly, and we would definitely recommend them!

Description of Work
They built a post-frame building about two years ago.

Ronald K.

The experience was great overall. They were very professional, and everybody that they had building the garage did a great job at a reasonable price.

Description of Work
They built a garage about a year ago.

01/17/2012

Rebecca W.

Bob Schup was our sales representative and point of contact at CB Structures. He was on time for our initial appointment and arrived with a photo album showing various designs for garages that the company had erected for customers. He was helpful in explaining everything to us. He also gave us a referral for someone to do the site preparation. The crew who built the structure and installed the windows and doors was very professional and worked quickly. We were nervous about the timing since our job started the week of Thanksgiving and we were worried about the weather. We had no weather problems and CB was able to install the cement floor we wanted. The crew did a fantastic job! I would recommend this company to anyone looking for someone to build a garage or other storage structure. We had no issues from start to finish.

Description of Work
We contracted with CB Structures to build a two car garage. This included everything except the site preparation. We reviewed various sizes and options and selected an oversized, two-car pole building with a cupola, two windows, two overhead doors, and an entry door.

Category garage doors, garage builders, storage units

05/24/2011

Pamela V.

They gave an estimate and they came out with all the equipments and material, to commence the job. They did a very nice job and I will continue to use them in future.

Description of Work
I used the services of CB Structures Inc. for a garage and garage door, in October, 2008.

Category garage doors, garage builders

08/17/2005

THEY WERE CHEAPER THAN THE COMPETITION. LEARNED OF THIS COMPANY BY WORD OF MOUTH, AND THEY WERE WELL WORTH IT. THEY DID A GREAT JOB ON THE POLE BARN.

Description of Work
BUILT A LARGE POLE BARN.

05/13/2005

KIM O.

WORKERS WERE PROMPT WITH THE BUILDING PLAN AND ESTIMATES. COMPLETED POLE BARN BUILDING IN A TIMELY MANNER. COMPLETED ALL INSPECTIONS AS REQUIRED PER CODE.

Description of Work
16W X 24L X 8H RUN IN SHED FOR AGRICULTURAL USE. USING 2X6 TREATED SKIRTBOARD, COBBLE TRUSS PLATES FOR THE USE OF THE HORSES AND WITH KICK PLATES IN VACANT LOT.

03/05/2005

ALISON S.

CONESTOGA CAME OUT AND LOOKED AT THE SITE TO GIVE US AN ACCURATE ESTIMATE FOR THE BUILDING WE WANTED. WE CHOSE THE COLORS AND MATERIALS TO BE USED. THEY CAME OUT WHEN THEY SAID THEY WOULD AND STARTED CONSTRUCTION ON A WEDNESDAY. THEY WERE 100% COMPLETED BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE QUALITY IS TOP-NOTCH AND THE PRICE WAS MUCH MORE REASONABLE THAN OTHER QUOTES WE HAD GOTTEN.

Description of Work
CONSTRUCTED A 30 X 40 X 16'6' HIGH POLE BARN IN OUR BACK YARD.