Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc.

Founded 1986 • With Angi since June 2004

640 Painter Street

Media, PA 19063

In Business in Media PA for 30 years. We upgrade manufacturers recommendations for replacement springs and parts. We carry Clopay Goldbar Warranty. Owner oversees every job. The only Garage Door Company in Media. Installation and repair of garage doors in steel and wood, We service residential and some commercial doors. We are dedicated to customer service....

12/17/2021

Peter S.

Installers were terrific and doors are great. Office staff great to deal with. They recommended Artisan Doors, which beautifully replicate old doors. Approved by local historic commission, needed as house is historically listed.

Description of Work
New garage doors to replace old swing doors

07/02/2018

Shannon D.

All steps of service were clear and detailed. They provided a great package and smooth install.

Description of Work
Garage door and opener

10/23/2017

Janice D.

It's fixed. I've been relying on Suburban Overhead Doors for over a decade. Service is consistently excellent.

Description of Work
Recalibrate garage door opener. Door was closing, then bouncing back up.

11/14/2016

Carrie S.

They came out quickly, efficiently fixed a wiring problem, and didn't try to upsell me at all on replacing a 24 year old motor ("still has some life left"). From initial call to problem solved in about an hour! Awesome.

Description of Work
Couldn't get door shut. Turned out to be a wiring problem in sensor.

04/16/2016

Katherine M.

I called about 3 Friday afternoon--receptionist called me back to say that the repairman could come out Saturday after noon. He was very prompt--gave me useful instructions on how to read the guide lights and realigned them properly. Also lubricated the spring and put a longer screw into the attachment of the left hand channel so it didn't vibrate. He's come out once before--Feb 2014--and both times I got good, prompt service as well as useful information.

Description of Work
Door was not closing properly--start-stop-reverse. Called late Friday afternoon--came out Saturday ~1 pm. Re-aligned the electric-eyes and secured one of the channels.

Category doors

10/06/2015

Elizabeth S.

Phone call made to set up an appointment for an in-person estimate for a garage door and motor replacement. A woman, identified herself as the "Office Manager, took personal and demographic information as if an estimate visit was going to be schedule. Instead, without any explanation, she began asking numerous questions about the door, etc...ostensibly to "help me". I suspected that she was trying to avoid setting up an in-person estimate and instead was trying to get enough information to then formulate a price quote, encouraging the potential customer to make decisions apriori on door styles, etc. In other words, determine if it was going to "be worth" coming out in person for an estimate. She stated I should look at the company Website to select door styles, etc... What was particularly interesting is that she kept insisting if was for the "customer's" benefit, despite the lack of logic to that argument. It was extremely premature for this level of discussion and certainly not to the benefit of a potential customer who consistently asked for a person with technical expertise to come out and evaluate the situation. It deviated significantly from the process of other door companies and was not at all transparent. I explained that I really needed an in-person estimate due to specific installation challenges which had nothing to do with style of door or other parts selection due to the technical nature of he challenge. Still, she refused to set up an estimate. It wasn't until I specifically asked if they actually do estimates without getting a customer's willingness to pay them that she indeed stated that their policy wasn't to come out for estimates unless they made some price quotes, i.e targeting customers in advance who they thought would spend a certain amount of money. When I asked whether or not an "Office Manager" had enough technical expertise to make price quotes without knowing the customer's level of expertise in describing the situation, she claimed that she had a lot of installation experience. Never stated that she was an owner. I repeatedly asked to speak to the owner. She refused and hung up. Service was never provided It seems like an honest and straightforward description of their estimate policy would lend significant credibility to their practices and save everyone time!

Description of Work
Requested appointment for garage door replacement estimate

10/05/2015

Lauren H.

We called them on a Friday and they came out on Monday. One person came out and quickly and professionally replaced the spring and lubricated the rest of the rollers. He was very friendly and the charge was exactly as estimated on the phone.

Description of Work
Replaced a broken spring.

09/30/2015

Gail E.

Called and came out the same day which was wonderful. Garage door had been making a rubbing sound and shaking a little at the end when closing.. Tom replaced some old rollers and did a lubrication of rest and door works great now.

Description of Work
Replaced some old rollers and lubrication.

Category garage doors, doors

07/24/2015

Patricia W.

This is the second time in three months that we have used Suburban Overhead to repair an old garage door that we didn't want to replace. In February we had new tracks installed (separate review) and then the door opener replaced. The owners are very responsive, very timely and do very good work. We would definitely use again, should the need arise and highly recommend.

Description of Work
Installed a new garage door opener.

Category garage doors

We LOVE satisfied customers, especially when they take a moment out of their busy day to review us. Thanks so much for your excellent review and for sharing us with the band of neighbors! Kathy Suburban Overhead Doors

05/21/2015

Jane S.

Tom was prompt, efficient, pleasant and professional. He analyzed the situation, replaced parts as needed, and tweaked the track and system overall to make it work even better! Thanks!

Description of Work
Overhauled system that wasn't working (likely due to lightning strike nearby). Replaced board, photosensors, and keypad. Adjusted and oiled track. Tweaked system overall.

Category garage doors

Thanks so much, [Member name removed], for taking the time to review us with such a high rating. We appreciate your business and .value your opinion. Kathy Suburban Overhead Doors

05/18/2015

Mike M.

It was beyond our expectation! We had quotes that we needed a new garage door. Tom somehow was able to fix the damage and put our garage door back in even better condition than it was before the damage! He came the same day that we called and was able to fit us in at the end of the day! He was very professional and fast! I would highly recommend Surburban Overhead Doors! Thank you so much!

Description of Work
Tom fixed the garage door that came off track. The track was badly bent and was even pulled partially off the wall.

Category garage doors

Thanks, [Member name removed], for the great review and for recommending one of your neighbors.We appreciate your business and rating our company with all A's!!.

02/26/2015

S G D.

I spoke with Joan who informed that unfortuntely they do not work in northeast Philadelphia. When I asked her if she knew another reliable company in the area and she said no. However, when I told her about the issue I was having she said that it sounded like an issue with a spring. She was very pleasant and professional. It's nice to see a company take the time to help someone out even if they can't do the job for that person. I recommend them highly just based upon this interaction.

Description of Work
I contacted them for an estimate on a garage door repair.

Category garage doors

Thank you! We really appreciate the positive feedback and you taking the time to write it. We strive to be the best in our field.I hope you got your repair done by a reputable company in your area. Best regards, Kathy Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc

02/03/2015

Patricia W.

We called for service at 8 a.m. The owner, whose name we didn't get, called us back, asked some questions and gave us a preliminary estimate of approximately $300. He said he could come to the house that day between 11 am and 1 pm. He arrived at 12:15 p.m. was very polite and professional and explained everything that was wrong with the door (or I wouldn't have all of that information above) and how he planned to repair it. He also provided a checklist of all of the work completed. He advised us that the electronic opener was still in decent condition and didn't need to be replaced at this time. Because of the great service and high quality of work performed which took about an hour, we will be calling him back when the opener fails. Would hightly recommend.

Description of Work
The automatic garage door was out of alignment, off track and an extension spring had broken. Provider replaced extension springs, lifting cables, rollers and 4 pulley wheels. Basically, with the exception of a new door and an electric opener, the provider replaced everything you need to open and close an electric garage door.

Category garage doors, doors

12/01/2014

Mary Christine S.

The two women I spoke to at the office were very friendly and responsive. Tom showed up as scheduled, fixed the problem with the garage door and left a detailed invoice describing the maintence he performed. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone.

Description of Work
The garage door was not opening when the temperature went below freezing. Tom made a number of adjustments and it works fine now.

09/21/2014

Owen L.

Suburban Doors was great. They had to order the panel (it was old) and kept me informed. When it came, they put it right in. Nice job.

Description of Work
The entire bottom panel of the garage door had rotted out (it was old) - they replaced the bottom panel (essentially 1/4 of the entire door)

08/11/2014

Lauren S.

I was extremely impressed with all interactions with Suburban Overhead Doors. I called this morning around 9am and spoke with Joan. She called me back and confirmed Tom would be able to come to my house today. I asked her to call me when he was on his way - she did, and he arrived exactly when she said he would - very punctual. He was very knowledgeable and polite and completed the job efficiently and thoroughly. I would definitely use them again and highly recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Refastened and realigned photo cell sensors on 2 garage doors. Replaced weather seal on one (double) garage door and lubricated/realigned the door.

07/24/2014

Sarah J.

Experience was excellent. Joan was very accommodating in scheduling the work and Tom arrived right on time and had the work done quickly. Both very pleasant to deal with. Garage has stayed dry through heavy rains since the work was done. Would definitely recommend these folks and use them again.

Description of Work
Replaced weather seal at bottom of garage door and lubricated the springs.

04/25/2014

JON V.

I called and spoke with a very responsive woman, Joan, who scheduled Tom's visit. He arrived early in the morning as promised because I told Joan that we needed to leave at around 9:30. I let him in the garage remotely, and by the time I got down and outside to meet him he had already fixed the damage where the door's drive unit had separated from the header of the door. He also reinforced the other door's unit and lubricated the doors. Although the doors had been installed by another company ( a subcontractor of our builder) Tom was professional, and not critical, and assured us that the other firm had done a good job. Excellent service!!

Description of Work
Repaired overhead drive rail that had separated from the header over the garage door. Also reinforced second unit in garage and lubricated both doors.

04/15/2014

Matthew F.

Great to work with from phone calls to instillation. I would (and already have) recommended them to other people.

Description of Work
Replace two garage doors.

04/14/2014

Joseph D.

Suburban Garage Door was great to work with. I sent an email through their website and Joan immediately called me back to discuss the options available. Once I thought the prices and options were a good fit for me, Tom came out to measure shortly after. The order process was quick and Tom and the team were great! I mistakenly chose a white door when I needed an almond color and Joan quickly sent me over the new invoice to sign and email back before the original door was ordered. My old heavy wooden door was replaced within about a week and was done well. The door looks great! Took around the time that was allotted and was no hassle. I would definitely work with Tom and his team again for any garage door needs and have already suggested their work to several folks on my street who seem to be looking for new doors as well!

Description of Work
Replaced my garage door with a new door, rails, springs and trim

11/10/2013

Laurna I.

Professional, on time. Plan to use them again in my new home.

Description of Work
Replaced garage door opener. Added key pad.

08/11/2013

Beth R.

Overall experience was excellent. I called him on Sat morning. He was in area and came over within 30 min. Gave price for house call plus service. Price seemed a little high but I have nothing to compare it to. Work was done promptly and professionally. Bill included replacing cables and lubricate. Was a local family business not some 800 #. Would definitely use again.

Description of Work
Replaced lifting cables

12/20/2012

Gail E.

Entire service experience was wonderful. Garage door hinge and pulley failed and we immediately called Suburban Doors and spoke to Joan in the office. She was pleasant, courteous and responsive and told us she could get Tom Muir to our home on his way back from another job. To our delight, Tom arrived within an hour and was able to replace the failed hinges and pulleys and was on his way in less than an hour. He is very knowlegeable, pleasant and a true professional - a pleasure to do business with. Would highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Replacement of garage door hinges and pulleys.

10/16/2012

Robert J.

I had been trying for years to find an automatic opener for a very small garage. I found Suburban on Angie's List. Tom looked over the situation and took the time to discuss a couple options, resulting in a unique approach that works great! We are very pleased with the quality of craftsmanship, since this required customizing the railing to fit in a cramped space. There was no sales pressure to replace the existing door (which was only a year old)...unlike reps from other companies. After the installation my wife wanted another remote switch, which Tom dropped off the next day. I would recommend Suburban to anyone who wants quality work and service.

Description of Work
Installation of automatic garage door opener in very old garage with limited overhead space.

09/12/2012

Jean C.

We took care of most of the details through email, which I prefer as my career is shift work and I keep unusual hours. Joan in the office was responsive to all my inquiries, and Tom completed the job in less than three hours. The estimate was detailed and was the final cost to the penny.

Description of Work
Wonderful experience! We contracted with Suburban Overhead Door to take down and remove a 50-year old garage door and replace it with a new, energy efficient version.

Category garage doors

Choice Home Remodeling Inc.

Choice Home Remodeling, Inc. is your complete remodeling company! We are a customer service-focused company with an unwavering commitment to quality workmanship. For over two decades, homeowners in Lancaster, Berks, Chester, and surrounding counties have chosen us for their home improvement projects. In fact, we have been voted #1 for the Lancaster Newspaper Reader’s Choice Award for “Favorite Window Installer” several years in row. What began as a window and door installation business back in 1995 with just two trucks and two employees has grown into a full-service home improvement company with the addition of a cabinetry division that offers kitchen and bath design, and whole home remodeling services. Additional DBA - Choice Cabinetry.

Windows Plus

Windows Plus is a complete start to finish exterior contractor that specializes in the replacement of windows, doors, siding and roofing, as well as construction of decking and porch enclosures. We begin our process by listening to what you, our client wants to accomplish, whether it be more energy efficient windows, a new cedar or architectural roof, or a more inviting Entry Door. We back our products and workmanship with some of the strongest warranties in our business, most of them lifetime warranties. We have been in business for 39 years and are fully insured, licensed, and have a great reputation for superior workmanship. As we say at Windows Plus, “Your Home Is Our Business!”

Main Line Garage Door, LLC

Over 30 years of experience installing, repairing and servicing garage doors and automatic operators. Family owned and operated, veteran owned and operated with a focus on building relationships with our clients to provide them with the best products and service. Serving Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties as well as Philadelphia and northern Delaware.

ask for details

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc.

How is Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. overall rated?

Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. is currently rated 5 overall out of 5.

What days are Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. open?

Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. is open:

What payment options does Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. provide

Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. accepts the following forms of payment: Check

Does Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. offer free estimates?

Yes, Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. offers free project estimates.

Does Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. offer eco-friendly accreditations?

No, Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. does not offer eco-friendly accreditations.

Does Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. offer a senior discount?

No, Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. does not offer a senior discount.

Does Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. offer emergency services?

Yes, Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. offers emergency services.

Are warranties offered by Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc.?

Yes, Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. offers warranties.

What services does Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. offer?

Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. offers the following services: Garage Door Installation, Garage Door Repair, Carriage Style Garage Doors, Custom Garage Doors Garage door motor installation and repair. We do some capping of frames.

Are there any services Suburban Overhead Doors, Inc. does not offer?

ask for details