Rosen Interiors

Founded 1949 • With Angi since February 2005

5 Spring Run

Media, PA 19063

A WW11 veteran,Robert Rosen started his business in 1947.Now in its second generation Rosen Interiors has been a family business for over 67 years and remains a staple of the Home Decorating Industry in the Delaware Valley. We go to great lengths to source our materials and labor here in the USA

10/21/2020

Gail H.

reupholstering chair and foot stool

Description of Work
They proved totally unreliable. I got a prompt call when looking for a quote with a promise to stop by in my home the same day. No show. I called. “ So sorry. I am tired. Can you send pictures?” I sent pictures. No word. I texted the next day. “So sorry. Will send pictures of samples this afternoon”. It is now more than a week later and no pics and no word. I found someone else.

Category upholstery

We were mortified to receive this review, as members will see we have always strived to respond promptly to a consult (Free) I responded to the initial request by phone the same day only to inform her later that day that I was exhausted and would reschedule. Subsequent to this our family here and abroad was beset with serious health issues and in the aftermath forgot the client .For this I am sincerely sorry. What I find alarming is the knee jerk reaction to hop onto forms of social media to castigate a small business without perhaps considering that there was a good reason for the lapse in service."Just saying"as is the proverbial .response today.

12/18/2018

Joan H.

John was fabulous. Extremely knowledgeable and professional. He paid close attention to each window situation, The installation was done efficiently, but with close attention to detail. I would absolutely use him again for any of the services he provides. Also just a great guy!

Description of Work
Shades for the windows in our new Condo

Category interior designers

Welcome to Philly and thank you for the business. The shades perfectly complement the modern style of the building.

08/09/2018

Jesse and Lisa N.

We worked with John, which was a pleasure. John was professional and friendly. He provided us with various options and helped guide us toward what we wanted for our window. We couldn’t be happier!

Description of Work
We wanted blinds for a large window in our family room.

Thank you indeed.

08/06/2018

Ann M.

Top notch. John Laye was a pleasure to do business with. Pricing was great, workmanship outstanding, pick up and delivery of my chairs was a plus, as well as him bringing fabric right to my home. He made this a painless experience. Work was completed in the promised timeframe and I would highly recommend doing business with him.

Description of Work
Reupholstered kitchen and dining room chairs

Category upholstery, window treatments

Thank you,good furniture can last forever although the fabrics not so.

06/14/2018

Joseph S.

John is very friendly and professional. Both the shade and the sofa look great. The detail work on the sofa is excellent - it looks better then new. We are extremely pleased with the finished products as well as with working with John. It was a pleasure.

Description of Work
We had a sleeper sofa reupholstered and a shade installed for our patio doors.

Category upholstery, window treatments

All praise to my upholstery chap,stripes make it that much harder. Thank you.

05/03/2018

Elizabeth S.

They did a beautiful job, arrange to come and arrived on time, reasonably priced, a lot of great guidance in fabric choice and plenty of choices were available. Job was done beautifully and professionally. A pleasure to work with all around.

Description of Work
Reupholstered Andre cushioned dining room chairs

Category upholstery, alterations

Unique chairs,quite beautiful a work of art in fact. Thank you.

04/09/2018

MARGARET N.

Working with John was a pleasure. He was able to help us select the right fabric for our furniture, and kept us informed about the work's progress. The finished products are gorgeous, and we will definitely contact Rosen Interiors for any future upholstery needs!

Description of Work
Furniture Reupholstery: Sofa, Chairs, Bench

Category upholstery

Although the sofa took longer than usual the end result was stunning if you can say that about a sofa,ha. Thank you for all work. John.

03/19/2018

Soumyadeep D.

John from Rosen Interiors contacted us on the same day we left him a msg on Angie’s list. He later provided an accurate estimate, visited us at the site to check the actual installation site and offered us recommendable suggestions that will flow well with the rest of the furnitures. Initially we were comparing the market rates, but he never lost his patience and made regular followups. We provided him the style of rug we were using in the room and he did a very good home work and came back with very similar patterns and contrasting color options. We didn’t expect the fabric selection will be over in such a short conversation. Kudos to his aptitude and great sense of interior design. We would definitely recommend Rosen Interiors to all our friends in Delaware and in around my neighborhood to check out options provided by him for any drapery or window treatment solutions.

Description of Work
We needed a drapery for our living room with matching cushions and spent a lot of time trying to find the right person to do it. We started with Home Depot, who couldn’t unfortunately provide us any solution. Searching through our entire area I found Rosen Interiors over Angie’s list. We were so glad we did it, the work was done in the most professional manner and much ahead of schedule. Installation took a little over 3 hrs as the size of the room was big enough and the work was done so meticulously.

Category interior designers, window treatments

The fabric was almost made for the room so pleased at the result. Thank you so much for the work. John.

03/10/2018

Kathleen P.

Pieces were picked up at my apartment and delivered back to me when the work was completed. Furniture that once looked ready for the garbage, now looks beautiful. A little pricey but we'll with it. A job well done.

Description of Work
Antique love seat and chair upholstered requiring new springs, stuffing, and a lot of tufting

Category upholstery

Yes it was not an inexpensive project but the final result was beautiful. Thank you. John.

03/09/2018

Deborah C.

John responded promptly to an email query and scheduled an appointment to review our needs and take measurements. he asked me to send photos of the room, carpet and window to narrow down some fabric options. he arrived on time and brought beautiful materials for my consideration. I had requested you use fabric I owned to create a coordinating cornice. John was well-versed on methods to create room darkening while designing an elegant treatment. Installation was difficult but he and his assistant problem-solved in order to assure secure mounting. John is an interesting and talented person. We are delighted with the work and have asked for additional ideas.

Description of Work
Design and Fabrication of window treatments

Category interior designers, window treatments

You are kindness itself, thank you. John.

02/02/2018

James C.

Enter John Laye, an engaging British fellow who brings a keen eye for color and fabric, an abundance of patience to determine just what you're seeking, and a ton of samples to experiment and play with, all in your home. No pressure. No franchise baloney. We settled on the window treatments and fabric for the sofa and cornices. Measurements were made, and a quote was emailed to me that night. When the sofa was picked up several days later, the measurements were taken again for accuracy. Everything was installed today. As with the first visit, there was no rush. Subcontractors didn't suddenly appear. John brought the same level of careful attention and professionalism to each part of the installation that he did when we first sat down. The 20+ year old sofa looks like it's brand new. The cornices are a perfect fit and compliment the sofa. The blinds and long cellular shade open up the rooms, while offering protection from the sun and privacy when we want it. Should be be looking for someone who can bring your old furniture back to life and make your windows sparkle, give John a call.

Description of Work
We moved into a new house last June and wanted to add privacy to the living and dining room windows, as well as block the summer sun from three high windows on the east side of the house. Oh, and we also wanted to reupholster a sofa that had a solid metal frame but worn and faded fabric. Where to find someone who could do all this, and also design and make cornices for very tall windows that would enhance the new fabric on the reupholstered sofa? After seeing the glowing reviews of Rosen Interiors both here and elsewhere, I gave them a call.

Category interior designers, upholstery, window treatments

Somewhat overwhelmed by your review,thank you so much, it was a great success indeed. John.

01/15/2018

John R.

After reading reviews I contacted John Laye from Rosen Interiors to see about re-upholstery for a Roche-Bobois sectional I bought at RB in Philadelphia 32yrs ago. The fabric was worn of course but the structure was in great shape. John came over on time, and brought some samples. We picked one and he took the sectional away. He finished the job on time and the results were fantastic. My wife and I are really pleased with what looks like a brand new sectional. Also you can tell by looking at the areas that are unseen to see the very high quality of workmanship. We have some more projects coming up and we will most certainly use Rosen Interiors.

Description of Work
Our 32yr old 3pc Roche Bobois sectional needed to be re-upholstered. The heavy frame was still in excellent condition. Contacted John Laye from Rosen to come over and look at it.

Category upholstery, window treatments

Well thank you [Member Name Removed],although it was old it had good bones and as they are a very special company it proved to be well worth doing. Its been fun working with you. [Member Name Removed].

11/22/2017

Valerie M.

Responded very quickly and provided a free estimate and consultation. Provided several recommendations to save costs and fabric suggestions. I waited several weeks for completion but it was definitely worth the wait. The slip covers fit very well and make the furniture look brand new and the room amazing. I am totally pleased and happy with the results.

Description of Work
Wanted custom slip covers for a sofa, love seat and chaise lounge.

Category upholstery

Thank you [Member Name Removed],it was one of the biggest slipcover orders in terms of size this past year and very pleased at the outcome . John.

10/31/2017

Jim F.

Rosen did an excellent job reupholstering a chair for us. Much like another review I read on Angie's List this chair of ours is not an antique or heirloom by any means but it does have sentimental value as it belonged to my wife's grandfather. Rosen came out to the house, evaluated the chair, offered a fair price then took the chair with him for work. it turned out great! He reupholstered the seat cushion and removed the outdated drape. So, chair went from just something that would sit in a corner and not be used to something we'll use every day! We will definitely consider Rosen for all similar work in the future.

Description of Work
Rosen re-upholstered a chair for us.

Category window treatments

Lovely piece,thank you for the work.

10/15/2017

Kathleen D.

John was the first person that provided us with an estimate. While we kind of had an idea of what we wanted, John was quite helpful in guiding us through the possibilities, providing his opinion as well as the advantages and disadvantages of the various options. He did not use any hard sales tactics, which we very much appreciated. He let his product and service speak for itself. After meeting John, we were very comfortable with him and knew that the other companies would have a high bar to meet in comparison to him. We looked at four companies, and his bid was the second lowest. The price was very reasonable. There was a $50 difference between his firm and the lowest-priced company, which did not represent a deal breaker to us at all. We chose John for a variety of reasons: we found him to be very knowledgeable, charming, personable, and professional. He was extremely responsive in terms of communication both through e-mail and phone calls throughout the process. He was straight forward and very easy to deal with. John is quite punctual and arrived a few minutes early on the day of installation. He brought Will along on to do the installation. Will was very diligent and took a very meticulous approach, which we very much appreciated. The installation took a few hours, though we are quite satisfied with the quality of both the faux wood blinds for the windows, and the top down bottom up honeycomb shades for the French doors, and how they look in our home! We highly and enthusiastically recommend John and Rosen Interiors. We would not hesitate to use him in the future for any services that he could provide to meet any of our future needs!

Description of Work
We contacted four companies to provide estimates on replacing the silhouette window treatments for 5 windows and honeycomb blinds for a set of French doors that we have had in our home for almost 20 years.

Category window treatments

Thank you indeed for the work and most laudable review. Go well. John.

10/12/2017

Gary C.

This chair was a step from fire wood and/or the dump. It was purchased n philly at a row house sale for pennies, collected mold, cobwebs and who knows what else. Passed around from friend to friend and finally thrown back to me. Had much sentimental value and I didn’t know what to do. Took 3 bids on internet. Chose Rosen, wasn’t the cheapest but John convinced me it would b worth it. I think he knew that I knew nothing about furniture. His personality is unique, can’t say in what way good or bad, wouldn’t mind having a beer with...anyway was concerned when chair took longer than stated, he did tell me why, the wait was worth it. Will c if this app lets me attach pics.

Description of Work
Needed an antique chair completely redone.

Category upholstery

Thank you for the work,it is now one very classy chair. Go well John.

09/07/2017

Amy A.

It went very well. John came out and discussed the colors of our room (the living room has an end wall painted in a complimentary color. John helped us choose just the right colors and fabrics. The end result is that the two rooms are transformed and have a gravitas they did not have before. The views through the windows are beautiful because of the contrasting greens of the exterior and the colors of the draperies and rooms. I love to sit in the living room with a book and look up for the view. We also ordered a matching table runner and when it came back, the measurement was wrong. But it works when we remove the leaf from the table and he made us a gift of the first runner. The second one was perfectly measured and cut, and fit the table with a leaf.

Description of Work
We wanted new draperies for our living room and adjoining dining room. We wanted someone to provide us with guidance as to color and fabric selection.

Category interior designers, alterations, window treatments

It was a challenge at first with the contrasting wall colors but then it was fortunate that we had the right fabrics.This always gives me pause when I think we have to many selections. Thank you for the work. John.

07/09/2017

Sherri T.

PERFECTION comes to mind when I try to describe our experience with John Laye of Rosen Interiors! John is the quintessential professional designer: he promptly returned calls; arrived on schedule, pleased us with his warm and witty personality, and, best of all, guided us in the direction that ultimately gave us the results he intuitively sensed we desired. His prices are very competitive; he’s a perfectionist and the final results reflect that. John is part of the installation team and knows exactly how to make fabrics lay perfectly; he’ll put a straight pin here and there, and steam the curtain as each fabric will allow. John is an absolute joy to work with! Each of his phone calls brightened my day thanks to his wit! And the final results of the job completely improved the appearance of an otherwise dull room, thanks to his innovative ideas and eye for color. We highly recommend John Laye of Rosen Interiors.

Description of Work
Window treatments.

Category window treatments

Stop it I'm blushing.Ha. Great working with you,thank you. John.

06/29/2017

Beth G.

Very well. John was very responsive throughout the process, and the quality of the work was excellent.

Description of Work
I needed to have six dining room chairs recovered.

Category upholstery

Good solid furniture deserves the look we achieved. Thank you. John.

06/05/2017

Judy D.

I was in need of a custom slipcover for my extremely large and ugly sofa and found John of Rosen Interiors. He had great reviews and he did not disappoint. He and his staff were able to make my slipcover and 2 replacement cushion in just a few weeks and my ugly sofa was made beautiful by Christmas as he promised. John was a pleasure to work with and I will definitely be using his services again in the future!

Description of Work
Slipcover and replacement cushions

Category upholstery, alterations

Thank you [Member Name Removed].That was an extremely large sofa indeed more a sectional.So thank you and remember to wash in cold water and do not dry in machine and put back on slightly damp! John.

04/19/2017

DANIEL K.

Mr Laye came and measured when he said he would. He emailed estimate in less than 24 hours. He ordered material and installed in less than 20 days. He and installer come on time, cleaned up, and did a fine job. NO HIDDEN COSTS.

Description of Work
Replace blinds on 5 windows with 2 1/2 inch blinds...

Category window treatments

These particular blinds do a great job of providing a decorative touch and practical application in terms of light control and privacy. Thank you so much for the work. John.

03/27/2017

Matthew F.

Everything went extremely well. John was great. Meticulous, informative/knowledgeable, friendly. They are not cheap, but his work is the highest quality. I am about 18 mos late on this review. Sorry John. Can't say enough good things. I would hire him again in a minute.

Description of Work
Custom draperies in my family room with custom cornice and blinds. Laos re-re- upholsterer a chair.

Category interior designers, upholstery, window treatments

It was a pleasure working with you and pleased how it all came together and of course thank you for the bike loan,Spike has his own now in the UK.

03/16/2017

Joyce M.

Fabric of high quality, gorgeous design, and perfect for the chairs. John suggested the fabric - best choice, no need to look further. He was prompt for selection visit/pickup and also delivery, just as promised. The craftsmanship is superb - rare to find these days. John is a pleasure to do business with. I will happily refer friends and neighbors without hesitation. Price reflects quality of work.

Description of Work
Reupholstered 2 wing chairs

Category upholstery

The fabric was indeed a perfect complement to the room. Thank you for the work. John.

02/20/2017

Rebecca S.

It went very well. They were exactly what we wanted, they were finished in a reasonable amount of time, and John was very helpful in deciding on a fabric and color. We would certainly use them again.

Description of Work
Bedroom window treatments

Category window treatments

Very pleased with the outcome. Thank you. John.

01/03/2017

Jane B.

Update as of March 3, 2017: John contacted me and subsequently refunded my payment for the slipcover. An update as of February 20th. I attempted to contact John through Angies list and through his business email. It was very disheartening to learn he too thought the work was unacceptable given how dismissive he was of my concerns when he delivered the chair. I subsequently arranged for someone else to upholster the chair since the slipcover was not salvageable. I requested a refund several times, but received no response. This is an update to my earlier review. I normally don’t leave reviews at all, but John was eager for me to leave the first review and I feel it necessary that I provide information from my latest project. The earlier upholstery project workmanship was without fault. Unfortunately, the slipcover I had made was abysmal. To me slipcovers are by definition not tightly upholstered. I did not expect this to appear as if upholstered, but to be fair, I didn’t specifically say I wanted the slipcover to be “slouchy”. John was concerned with the weight of the fabric, but I recently had slipcovers made in California for a tete-a-tete, an ottoman, an overstuffed sofa and an armchair, all in equivalent weight Sunbrella fabrics. All were very well executed. The tete-a-tete did not have a skirt and the legs are exposed, just like the chair for which I had John make a slipcover. None of these slipcovers were attached to the frames in any way. When John delivered the chair I immediately noticed two oddly puckered areas at the bottom front legs where the slipcover had been pulled tightly around the bottom of the chair. John fussed with them a bit and said they were fine, but when he left I observed the Velcro had in fact pulled away from the chair and was not actually attaching the slipcover to the bottom of the chair. I was puzzled as to why there was Velcro at all since the slip cover should have just been pulled over the frame, extended below the bottom of the frame and finished with a hem. John told me he provided, at his own expense, the extra service of pulling the slipcover tight against the sides of the chair with the Velcro . Unfortunately, the slipcover barely extends past the sloped bottom of the chair, perhaps ¼”. This, of course, defeats the purpose of a slipcover, which is to be able to wash or dry clean it. There is 0% wiggle room for shrinkage, so I can't remove it for cleaning. In addition, instead of finishing the edge with a hem, it’s serged which makes it particularly unattractive at the two puckered areas because that serging is exposed. Meanwhile, despite the tight upholstered look at the bottom of the chair, the back and arms are loosely fit. While it would be difficult to fit the back tightly since it’s curved, the arms could have been. In fact one is tightly fit while the other was cut at least ½” too wide making it quite loose. And there is a very odd horizontal seam on the inside back which is visible above the cushion. If I try to tuck in the slipcover more to hide the seam, the top of the back is pulled too far forward. Finally, the cushion cover was cut wrong. I think, in fact, the entire slipcover wasn’t cut correctly, and the fabricator tried to make it work and didn’t succeed. While the prior upholstery work was high quality, I would not recommend Rosen Interiors for slipcovers nor will I not be using them again. While John is extremely personable, I was essentially told that the slipcover was fine and my concerns were dismissed. I've attached photos - sorry about the sideways photos - I can't seem to rotate them!

Description of Work
slipcover a chair

Category alterations

I was not surprised at the customers review .My on only surprise was a D .When in fact it deserved a F! I was mortified at the outcome and would be quite willing to do the work over again at no charge to the customer.My regular cutter of 15 years had a stroke and the chap who replaced him has performed to our regular standards until now.This is no excuse as I should have examined the work before rushing to deliver it. I have now engaged someone of great experience who I feel will meet the quality of workmanship we have produced in the past.Members will find from our past reviews that this is not what one has come to expect of Rosen Interiors. And I apolorgies unreservedly to the member.