Mergen Company

Founded 1973 • With Angi since July 2008

442 PIKE RD # A

Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006

For nearly four decades we have been proud to assist families in creating more comfortable, beautiful and functional spaces in homes across the communities of Bucks and Montgomery County. Our hundreds of satisfied customers are a testament not only to our work, but the enduring relationships that

09/15/2017

Meghan F.

They were GREAT! They were punctual, great at communicating, and did the best clean up job I've ever seen. The workers are very polite and friendly (the word "wholesome" comes to mind). The contract was very clear with reasonable deposit dates and Peter was extremely accommodating in working with which parts of the contract I adjusted and was prompt in getting me a copy of the revised written contract with the exact changes spelled out. An extremely professional company with a very smooth operation and a lot of integrity. If I could afford to have them redo my whole house I absolutely would. They do BEAUTIFUL work and arent satisfied themselves until it is perfect.

Description of Work
Removed old wood trim in downstairs hall, living room, and bathroom, replaced with pine including rebuilding wrap-around pillars and the side casing on the 2 sets of stairs and then stained and polyurethaned the wood, plus repainted ceiling and most of walls for touch up. The stained doors had the new hardware reattached and they were rehung with adjustment where needed. The coat closet shelf was also replaced with stained pine. They even fixed the gap in the stone floor where the old trim had not been fitted properly - they regrouted with matched grout. Also fixed and smoothed the messed up edges of the wall and ceiling where door trim meets and a previous provider had left deep grooves/ridges.

09/11/2017

Michael G.

They did an excellent job. The work moved along in a careful and methodical fashion. The owner of the company met with us to discuss the particulars of the project and to insure that everything was clear between us before the work commenced. Once the start date was agreed on, the work moved forward in a smooth and professional manner. They cleaned up at the end of everyday and were very attentive to details. They were very concerned with customer satisfaction.

Description of Work
Built the framing for an unusual shaped deck on the back of the house.

08/31/2017

ERIC C.

We could not have asked for a better experience. The men who work for Mergen Company were a pleasure to have around. They are consistent in cleaning up at the end of each work day. The quality of their work was well worth paying for in our experience. We expect to hire them to do our remaining 1950s windows next year. Peter Mergen was great about explaining exactly what our choices were and was flexible about our growing understanding of what we wanted. We enjoyed working with him as the company owner and lead person on establishing the contract of what was to be done.

Description of Work
Seven 1950s windows needed to be replaced including a large picture window plus two flanking casements. We wanted good quality Anderson interior stainable windows.

Category replacement windows, woodworking

It was a pleasure to work in your home. Thank you for the opportunity and the kind words.

08/07/2017

Christopher H.

the job took longer than expected, but turned out great.

Description of Work
replaced the basement steps that were 80 years old. also installed a railing for the basement steps.

Category remodeling, woodworking

[Member Name Removed], Thanks for taking the time to post this review and for allowing us to work in your home. Best regards, Peter Mergen

03/19/2017

Steve B.

I found MergenCo through Angie's List where it was rated one of the top three home contractors. The references I called gave outstanding recommendations. One of the other contractors never returned my call and the other declined the project. Peter was very understanding about our previous terrible experience with a contractor. The core team included Kris (supervisor), Brian and Bill. They installed the windows and doors and are highly skilled and neat. The times they estimated were accurate. They took measures to keep down the dust and even vacumed every day before they left. We were very comfortable with having them unsupervised in our house. The contract included a description of the project, an estimated start date, a schedule of payments. We provided a separate specifications document. The contract also included restrictions on parking, bathrooms and water. Each payment was linked to the beginning of a project task and we were invoiced separately for each. They outsourced installation of the patio and siding. They have worked with these subs previously and took total responsibility for their work. This was something that I insisted on. The landscape contractor helped us decide on the materials and installation. Kevin was also knowledgeable and professional. He even alerted us to township regulations that affected our decisions. We are very happy with the results. It's like having a new house. We highly recommend them and would not hesitate to hire them again.

Description of Work
Our project included replacing the patio, siding, doors and windows. We knew what windows we wanted. Peter visited multiple times and helped us select the other things including door/window hardware, patio/door lighting and rain gutters. We also knew that we wanted vinyl siding. Peter helped us decide on the color, size and style. The patio work included removal of the old material and installation of new EP Henry pavers, retaining wall and lighting.

Category decks, gutter repair, lighting, remodeling, replacement windows, doors

[Member Name Removed], Thank you for your kind and generous praise. We truly appreciate it. It was a pleasure working with you and [Member Name Removed] to give your exterior a beautiful make over. And thank you for referring one of your friends to us for similar work. Sincerely, Peter Mergen

06/06/2016

Pete S.

We were extremely happy with Peter Mergen's responsiveness, professionalism and analysis of the work required to remedy our garage attic situation. We noticed a large crack in our garage ceiling drywall and the attic-access drop-down stairs were leaning pretty badly. After checking-out the issue, I noticed that the location of the crack was just below an unsupported 21 foot long 2x6 beam which had kneewall trusses resting on it which provided support for the center of the roof. Apparently the weight & stress on the roof from a large January snowstorm had caused some structural integrity issues in that area. We had several other companies assess the situation and Peter was the only one who thought "outside the box" and gave us not just one but several proposals to correct the situation corresponding with several different cost-ranges. After some discussion, we chose one of the approaches and gave Peter the go-ahead. I didn't even contact my homeowners insurance company because Peter's estimate for the solution we chose was about what my insurance deductible would have been. My wife and I spent several days moving "stuff" from the area of the attic where Peter's crew would need to work in anticipation of their arrival. Peter and his crew of 3 arrived around 9AM on a Monday morning and were done by about 3PM. The nature of the work consisted of jacking up the garage ceiling along the sagging area to get it level again. Once the ceiling was again level, the strength of the existing cantilevered attic joists that provided support to the roof-load bearing long 2x6 beam and drop-down stair frame was essentially doubled by bolting eight 2x6 LVL joists to the existing joists. Some additional structure was also provided in the area of the drop-down stairs to provide additional support in that area. Once the attic work was completed, the jacks were removed and the job-site was cleaned up. Peter's crew was great to work with and actually left our garage cleaner when they left than it was before they came! Overall we're very pleased with The Mergen Company's work, would recommend him to others and will certainly consider him for additional future repairs/remodels we are considering having done.

Description of Work
Performed structural repairs on a above-garage attic where structural members were sagging due to excessive weight on the roof due to a major snowfall.

Category contractors, remodeling

Thank you for the kind words and for choosing Mergen Company. I'm happy that we could provide an inexpensive solution to a serious problem. All the best to you.

12/29/2015

Ami P.

The reason I'm writing this review (despite the fact that no services were performed) is because of Peter's complete professionalism. We had requested a proposal to have a lot of different contracting work done on our new house. My initial meeting with Peter was to go over the specific work needed. He was always very responsive and punctual. In that initial meeting, Peter spent 2 hours doing measurements and compiling specs needed for the various projects. This was all done at no charge. He then came to our house a few weeks later to discuss the proposal in detail and answer all of our questions. He was extremely professional throughout the process and I appreciate the fact that he did not pressure us to go with his company. Ultimately we chose another company because of a cost difference. Based on my correspondences with Peter, I would highly recommend him. He is extremely thorough and professional.

Description of Work
The company did not provide any services for us.

10/21/2015

DMITRY B.

Description of Work
I would highly recommend Mergen Co! They extended our closet for us and we could not be happier. Chris,Peter and the team were prompt, courtiers and very skilled in their art. I would highly recommend this company. My wife already has another project for these guys.

06/22/2015

Larry P.

Description of Work
New shower, work was excellent, pleasure to do business with.

02/11/2015

james R.

Description of Work
Addition to house. after getting estimates from multiple contractors, we were certain that we made the right decision to go with the merger company. We would not hesitate using Peter and his crew on future projects. |

01/27/2015

John S.

MERGEN COMPANY REMOVED 2 EXISTING BAY WINDOWS & INSTALLED 2 NEW CUSTOMER PURCHASED BAY WINDOWS. PETER MERGEN WAS VERY ORGANIZED & PROFESIONAL. HE CAME TO MY HOME EXACTLY ON TIME. HE PRESENTED A DETAILED CONTRACT CONCERNING THE WORK TO BE DONE, AND EXPLAINED EVERY ASPECT OF IT. HIS EMPLOYEES SHOWED UP EXACTLY ON TIME EACH DAY DURING THE INSTALL. THEY WERE VERY DILIGENT AND PRECISE IN ALL AREAS OF THE WORK. THEY WERE VERY POLITE AND PERSONABLE & TOOK EXTRA CARE IN KEEPING MY HOME CLEAN AND IN ORDER. THEY POINTED OUT SOME ROTTED WOOD AND THE NEED FOR INSULATION IN ONE AREA. THEY PURCHASED THE NEEDED WOOD AND INSULATION TO BE SURE THE INSTALL WAS PROPERLY DONE. MOST CONTRACTORS WOULD HAVE SIMPLY PUT THE WINDOW IN TO GET DONE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, AND I WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOWN THE WAS A PROBLEM. MERGEN COMPANY DID NOT RUSH THE JOB AT ALL, AND MADE SURE EVERYTHING WAS DONE CORRECTLY. I HAVE DELT WITH MANY CONTRACTORS OVER THE PAST 45 YEARS, AND PETER MERGEN IS DEFINITELY ONE OF THE BEST. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE WHO WANTS A JOB WELL DONE.

Description of Work
install 2 bay windows - remove and dispose of 2 old existing bay windows

11/16/2014

Amy K.

I highly recommend Mergen and Company as honest, skilled, and professional contractors. We called Mergen and Company to repair the internal and extermal wall, stud, and sill damage caused by termites. Peter came promptly to inspect the wall and provided a realistic and fair range cost estimate. Once we agreed on a start date, his colleagues Ryan and Chris, arrived promptly and proceeded with the work with professionalism and courtesy. When the extent of the damage became apparent after Ryan removed the interior wall, the cost estimate was clarified, but still within the range Peter had originally provided. Chris and Ryan worked as a good team, removing the damaged studs and insulation, providing a thermal and water-proof lining on the gypsum wall, reinsulating, sistering the remaining studs with new wood, and installing a new sill that had been completely obliterated by the termites. They also removed pipes and cables that had become obsolete and properly reinstalled plumbing that they had had to remove in order to do the work properly. Ryan then installed the new sheet rock, and over a couple of days he and Chris cured it and painted it. Ryan and Chris took photos of every step of the project, as requested. The project took 9 days, with the work being completed meticulously and properly by these honest and skilled carpenters. The finished wall looks far better than the wall has ever looked in the 11 years that we have lived in the house. I would definitely use Mergen and Company again, and would recommend them to others in need of a good contractor.

Description of Work
Repaired interior and exterior laundry room walls that had been damaged by termites.

Category contractors, drywall, insulation, remodeling, woodworking, interior painters

09/08/2014

Beth Y.

Mergen Co is extremely detailed in their proposals and extremely punctual, professional and responsive in their work.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodels, deck construction, repair of bay window and wall.

Category decks, drywall, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling

08/22/2014

Jeremy T.

Excellent. Showroom quality finishing. Professional and courteous throughout the project. From the beginning, Peter was highly professional and managed our expectations consistently. The project was completed on-time and on-budget and according to the scope of the agreement. The staff on Peter's team and his sub contractors were all highly professional and reliable. More than one year after the project is completed we are still very pleased with the quality of the finishing and the new room. We plan on returning to Peter for future home renovation projects that include additions or interior remodeling and highly recommend Peter and his team.

Description of Work
Based on a referral from friends we asked Peter to build an enclosed porch for us.

Category decks, remodeling

07/18/2014

Jimmy C.

In recent years we decided to hire someone to renovate our home, for we wanted it to be in good shape for our retirement years. Our house needed new siding, roof and gutters. We wanted to change the look of our living room and renovate our kitchen. We wanted to turn a bedroom into a laundry room and a powder room into a third full bathroom. The fire place in the family room needed a transformation and our deck needed rebuilding. For this work we decided to hire the Mergen Company, for we had heard that they do beautiful work of high quality and really trustworthy. We had seen some examples of their work. They did renovations over a period of 1 ½ years while we lived in our house. We all got along very well. They are very considerate and thoughtful re keeping noise down. They controlled the spaces so that dust and debris did not spread. They cleaned up dust and debris every day. Mr. M is highly experienced and his crew are highly talented craftsmen. They accommodated numerous minor changes that we had as the work progressed. They communicated very well, so that we knew what and when to expect work to be done. The work was finished two years ago and everything works very well. We appreciate the high quality of the workmanship. Mr. Mergen is a very honest and fine person. He helped us decide on renovation plans and contributed his valuable insights and elegant taste. Note that we did not want to disclose the cost for privacy, so we entered $1 in the required cost field.

Description of Work
See below

Category decks, gutter repair, remodeling, home remodeling

05/31/2014

Shannon P.

05/06/2014

Jane B.

They checked with us at every stage, to be sure they were doing what we wanted. It was hard work and noisy and messy, but they did everything to our satisfaction, and in a timely fashion. They cleaned up after themselves. We have never before dealt with a company who gave such clear and detailed proposals, and who also followed up, to make sure that we were happy with the job. As a side note, when we bought this house we came across a 1988 proposal of work by the same company, to be done in the same house, and the proposal was just as clear and detailed then, and, obviously, the previous owner had also hired Mergen Company.

Description of Work
Hacked openings through cupboards and exterior walls (concrete and stone) to create venting for our range hood, and for our clothes dryer.

05/05/2014

GREGORY M.

Peter has worked with me before , he runs a quality business and his customer base is very loyal to him. He recommends us for any type of basement waterproofing or waterproof materials for basement finishing.

Description of Work
Sub contracted our job

03/18/2014

james R.

01/30/2013

Deborah B.

Excellent work, very professional, thorough and high bquality

Description of Work
Bathroom remodeling.

Category drywall, remodeling, home remodeling

05/23/2011

Yvonne M.

I had a great experience working with Peter Mergen Builders & Remodelers Company, from the beginning to the end. They did good work considering the fact that they had to break a paddy hoe door through my kitchen and deal with all the disruption that could have been. They were trustworthy. They were honest about what I need to get done and what I didn't. Peter just knows his trade really well. His crew did an excellent job with the clean up. They were very professional. I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I hired Peter Mergen Builders & Remodelers Company about nine years ago. Peter opened up my back wall and put in a paddy hoe door and a new deck.

Category decks, remodeling, woodworking

06/11/2010

Franklin H.

They are doing a good job. I am happy with them.

Description of Work
I am using Peter Mergen Builders & Remodelers for remodeling by putting sheet rock and doing some restoration work in the bedroom.

Category drywall, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

10/15/2008

Michael N.

Did not use them but they were very courteous in their follow-up calls.

Description of Work
I requested a quote to repair drywall that was removed as a result of basement waterproofing.

Category drywall

07/19/2008

mykaila N.

Very well. There are always hitches when you start a project of this size, and this was no exception, but Mr. Mergen and his crew were very good about fixing any problem that arose and about helping us to make the right decision rather than the easiest decision. Mr. Mergen listens to what you want, presents it back to you to make sure that he understood what you wanted, stays in close contact with you throughout the process and is very attentive to the job and to the owners needs during the job. Our job was a big one and not an easy one due to the fact that we work from home so we are IN the house that they are trying to work on. His crews are courteous, responsible, and quiet when they need to be. They cover things that they are not working on, don't leave messes from day to day. He was friendly and honest with us about what could and could not be done, what would and wouldn't work, and what would or wouldn't look good. On the few occasions when there was actually a serious issue that came up, he was prompt in handling it and never once made us feel like we were in his way or asking stupid questions. Changes came up along the way and he was very nice about those and handled them very well. I can not say enough nice things about this man and his employees. He was a godsend!!! We will most certainly be using him again in the future.

Description of Work
Mr. Mergen and his crew have remodeled and refinished 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, a family room and 2 hallways for us (so far). The bathroom was gutted and completely rebuilt from the studs in the other rooms were varying degrees of remodel. They did built in bookshelves, replaced light fixtures, put in a huge new bay window, repointed a good deal of stone, replaced doors and door jams, did drywall work, painting, new trim, new ceilings. You name it and they have had a hand in it!

Category drywall, electrician, lighting, remodeling, woodworking, interior painters, doors

We enjoyed working with the [member name removed] on their projects. We wish them the best in their move to Texas.