H L Bowman

Founded 1946 • With Angi since December 2007

HL Bowman has been in the same location for 38 years and owned by the same family for over 65 years. HL Bowman is a non commission based company. HL Bowman employees will never upsell you a product you don't need. Dennis and Bryan Enders and his family have deep roots in the Harrisburg community. After 65 years Dennis and family stay committed to giving the community the best possible service and product to fit their needs. HL Bowman has won Angie's List super service award every year....

24/7 Service Offered24/7 Service Offered

A Service Provider's profile image

+9 more images

plumbers (281)HVAC Companies (90)drain cleaning (33)water heaters (32)sewer cleaning (10)appliance repair (10)home remodeling (6)well & water pump repair (5)water softeners (3)insulation (1)trash removal (1)electrician (1)

09/07/2021

Lucas S.

They met expectations with the estimate process. Pricing was on the higher end.

Description of Work
Looking for prices on installing new multi room mini-split AC/Heating.

Work Completed On 09/07/2021

10/16/2020

sean R.

Cory made the progress easy and was very knowledgeable

Description of Work
Furnace installation

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 10/16/2020

Review for H L Bowman - 2259 Woodlawn St, Harrisburg, PA - 38953702

07/14/2020

Shemeika C.

He came out, assessed, explained to me what was going on, the issue, went to truck got what he needed and bam, it was fixed! Thanks appreciated it lots!!

Description of Work
Had a bathtube faucet leak

Category appliance repair, plumbing

Work Completed On 07/01/2020

06/22/2020

Wes G.

It went very smoothly. There was one minor hiccup that wasn't discovered until after 9pm on the evening of the installation, but we called the 24-hour service line and within 20 minutes, there was a tech back at our house to fix the issue. I would contract H L Bowman to do work for us again in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
Furnace and A/C system replacement

Work Completed On 06/05/2020

06/18/2020

Jason R.

They serviced my air conditioner as well as replaced a few parts. They were very professional and up-front. They explained everything beforehand of what to expect before, during, and after the job was complete. The owner even sent me an email from his personal email to follow-up after completed.

Description of Work
Serviced AC and replaced parts.

Work Completed On 06/05/2020

05/27/2020

Barbara F.

Service technician was efficient and prompt

Description of Work
Leaky hot water faucet and replaced fixture in powder room wash bowl

Category appliance repair, plumbing

Work Completed On 05/27/2020

03/01/2020

f M.

They never got back to me or return my call

Description of Work
Plumbing for washing machine

Work Completed On 03/01/2020

We do not see a call from you. We are very sorry but are happy to fix this in anyway possible. Give us a call and ask for our service manager Joe. Would be happy to help you. 717-561-1206 Thanks!

03/01/2020

Carole Lee V.

Suddenly, my basement drain was backing up! A friend tried to unclog it, but to know avail. He thought it might have something to do with the sewer line that ran to the street! Right away, I started seeing dollars signs. So, I went on Angie's list and saw the reviews for HL Bowman. Because they were so highly recommended, I went to their website. Immediately, there was a person named Tiera to chat with. I explained my situation and she asked me a few questions. She told me she would have some one call me. I asked if it would be today because there was sitting water in my basement and I was afraid to even flush a toilet! She said it would definitely be today! Within two minutes of concluding the chat, my phone rang. A very courteous person assured me that he could get someone out there today! It was about 8:30 am and he told me that he could have someone by this afternoon and they would call me before they arrived. Around noon, a young man named Clayton called and said he was on his way. When he arrived, he went to basement and checked out the situation. When he came up he said that he thought the clog was in the pipe along the wall going out to the sewer. He brought in a machine and spent approximately and hour and a half trying to open the clog. He then told me that he had called another person from the company to bring a larger machine. Then, Corey showed up with a huge machine and Clayton left to go to another job. Corey was down there for about another hour and half. The machine was much louder than the first one. I was really worried about the cost and the fact that it was taking so long to open. I pictured having to have my lawn torn up and imagining what that would entail, not to mention the cost. Suddenly, he appeared and I tried to prepare for the worst. He looked at me with a smile on his face and said, "it's open". I was so surprised, I am sure he saw the relief on my face. 'He explained that he had to go out 75 feet to the street, and the that the clog was because of tree roots which he grinded through. I knew this machine was probably more expensive to use than the smaller one. So I braced my self and I asked him what the total charge would be! When he told me, I was shocked as that even included the $70 service fee which included up to 45 minutes to diagnose the problem and give me an estimate. But, because Corey had to bring a bigger machine and stay longer than Clayton had estimated, I was sure it was going to be astronomical. Corey said he would figure it out! When he told me the price I could hardly believe my ears. It was half of what I had anticipated! I was thinking about $1,000- $1200! I can't begin to explain how relieved I was.. I would like to say both Clayton and Corey could not have been nicer. Very mannerly, friendly, and polite. When Corey left, everthing was cleaned up! No sewage anywhere. And another thing that I thought was extraordinary, was how unafraid they were of my two pittbulls. They petted them and Corey even told them to stay when they tried to follow him out the door. LOL! And they, listened! I have found my company should I need any future help. It's good to know that there is someone out there who is professional, knowledgeable, and who charges fair prices. It wasn't cheap, but I believe it could have been a lot higher. Family members also thought the price was good. It started out as a bad day, but I had a smile on my face when Corey left!

Description of Work
Clogged drain in basement

Category drain cleaning

Work Completed On 01/28/2020

02/18/2020

Charlene B.

This was the second time we used H L Bowman for our plumbing needs and we have been impressed both times. Their plumbers are prompt, courteous, and friendly, in addition to being great at their craft. For this visit, I had a leak under a kitchen sink and did not realize that I needed to have the entire faucet replaced. The plumber recommended the closest plumbing supply store and waited while I selected the one I wanted. He efficiently did the replacement. Very happy with H L Bowman and would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Kitchen faucet needed to be replaced

Work Completed On 02/13/2020

12/18/2019

Ken B.

The service tech was great, professional, knowledgeable and punctual. The system is running fine now. I was very satisfied the his performance then I signed up for an annual maintenance contract. for about $200.00. He said the contract would be emailed along with my receipt by email. I got the receipt but no contract. I sent an email asking for the contract and I have received nothing after over a week.

Description of Work
natural gas 2-stage heating system problem

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

Work Completed On 12/06/2019

12/17/2019

Paul E.

When the first visit with the technician resulted in a connection that would not work with the refrigerator (which was delivered AFTER the technician installed the line), we requested help and the same technician returned that same day and connected the water to the refrigerator AND installed the ice maker! We could not be more pleased and surprised with the responsiveness and helpfulness of the technician and the office management of H.L. Bowman.

Description of Work
Installation of a water line for new refrigerator ice maker

Work Completed On 12/10/2019

12/10/2019

Faith C.

no stars. no stars. no stars. no stars. avoid hl bowman like the plague. i have had to spend thousands of dollars to repair the damage done to my house because of their faulty application of Daikin split units in my house. latest development: hired Daflure to maintenance hl bowman's work because hl bowman will no longer service the work the did in my home. Daflure is a Daikin certified distributor. their technician said hl bowman botched the installation of the units, causing the problems i have had. here are my current choices: 1. entirely abandon the units installed by hl bowman and start fresh with new installations by Daikin certified, Daflure. 2. keep the poorly installed hl bowman units & pay Daflure to jury rig solutions to hl bowman's screw-ups. daflure technician also educated me to the fact that these units last only 10 to 12 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hl bowman never bothered to mention this. i thought i was buying something like a furnace...a nearly permanent fixture. evil is not to strong a word to apply to hl bowman. hatred is not too strong a word to apply to my feelings toward hl bowman. horrible company. deceitful company. incompetent company. rude company. opportunistic company. unprofessional company. unethical company.

Description of Work
Installation Followed by Correction of Faulty Installation

Work Completed On 12/10/2019

10/23/2019

Richard J.

Good. Avoided trading into the wall.

Description of Work
Replace shower faucet

Work Completed On 10/23/2019

09/23/2019

Yvonne T.

very well...very prompt and professional

Description of Work
we had new furance and airconditioning installed

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

Work Completed On 09/12/2019

09/19/2019

Betty B.

Excellent, professional work at a fair price.

Description of Work
Pipes replaced under kitchen sink...and clog removed.

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 09/06/2019

06/26/2019

Shanna D.

Things went great. I called to check out about getting them to come out to replace my outdoor faucet and they told me they could come out the same day. I wasn't expecting that but it was great. They came out, took a look at things and knew exactly what needed to be done. I already had an idea because my father had taken a look but it was more than he wanted to get into. So, the gentleman explained what he would need to do and also asked if I wanted to have a secondary part of it fixed (no shut-off valve, which should be installed for an external faucet) of which I said yes because I had already wanted to have that done. They were done within about an hour max. From the time I called to them coming out it was no more than 2-3 hours. Super friendly and professional. I was so impressed I came on here to write a review.

Description of Work
External Faucet Replaced

Work Completed On 06/26/2019

05/26/2019

Jim R.

They were very fast to respond to my call and were able to send someone within two hours. The replacement of the hot water heater went well. For the water pipes they use copper crimp fittings instead of soldering so it will be interesting to see how that holds up over the years. My only concern is how they ran the gas line. They use Gastite CSST which is fine, but the CSST is run so it goes downward then back up and then downward again before it enters black pipe that has a moisture trap. It seems to me that if there is any moisture it will end up in the CSST instead of the trap. In addition, there is a pretty good bend in the CSST right before it goes into the trap section. Also, Teflon tape was used on the all the joints instead of joint compound. I think I will get someone from a different company to come in and take a look at it.

Description of Work
Gas hot water heater replacement

Work Completed On 05/17/2019

Review for H L Bowman - 2259 Woodlawn St, Harrisburg, PA - 37894820

01/17/2019

Russell S.

Fantastic. In and out in within 2 hours. Cost $15,000 less than another Angie's List HVAC service person quoted me.

Description of Work
Gas Furnace

Work Completed On 01/17/2019

12/18/2018

Brett H.

They were on time. Finished on time. Were courteous and clean, even in less than dry conditions.

Description of Work
Replace heat pump

Work Completed On 12/13/2018

12/01/2018

Markus W.

H L Bowman is by far one of the best service companies that I have dealt with. I got a call that the technician was on the way to my house. George showed up and got right to work. Found my problem and explained to me the best way to fix my issue. They did not try to sell me on any pricier fixes. George showed me what he could offer and explained what would be my best option. He was knowledgeable, informative, and explained everything so that I would understand what was going on. I am definitely going to be using them for all my heating and air conditioning needs. Top notch company. Would recommend to anyone needing this kind of help.

Description of Work
I needed a new thermostat. Had major issues with the Nest thermostat that I had purchased.

Work Completed On 11/30/2018

11/21/2018

Riley W.

Went well, found that there was a loose wire something I missed but the attendant fixed it, a simple fix.

Description of Work
Fuel oil heater blower wouldn't work.

Work Completed On 11/21/2018

11/20/2018

Kenneth R.

The thermocouple on my gas-fired boiler needed to be replaced, and the pilot needed to be cleaned. The tech was helpful and forthcoming with information. Took about an hour, as my boiler does not have easy access. Would hire again!

Description of Work
Gas Boiler Pilot Light Repair

Work Completed On 11/20/2018