Slinks Masonry Inc

Founded 1999 • With Angi since April 2009

276 Murdocksvile Rd

Clinton, PA 15026

We are a fully insured, licensed, masonry business. We do both residential and commercial work. We also specialize in carpentry, kitchen,bath, game room remodeling, & roofing. Also serve other portions of Ohio. Please ask for details.

01/13/2015

Linda R.

Category concrete repair, masonry, hardscaping

09/07/2013

David H.

Very professional, responsible, communicative. Got it done quickly because there was a giant hole in my house. Fairy pricey, but my insurance paid for their quality work.

Description of Work
Rebuilt 5x5 area of stone foundation damaged when a car tried to drive through it.

Category concrete repair, masonry, foundation repair

08/05/2013

Jeffrey H.

There were positives and negatives in my experience with Slink's Masonry. Scheduling was a problem. When I first contacted Gary in May of last year, he was very up front that he was currently busy, but thought that he could look at the project in about six weeks or so. I was willing to wait, but after that, it was one slip after another, first just getting an estimate and then starting the work. The project was not underway until the beginning of October. The project was estimated at six weeks but ran closer to eight including some worked weekends, finishing up in late November on the cusp of bad weather. The other issue was project planning. Regardless of who's doing the work, I would simply not do another project like this without a more thorough project plan in the contract, including fairly detailed sketches with measurements. There was no contract beyond signing the estimate, which had a more general description of the work. This impacted most on the front steps, where both the riser height (8") and width (31") of the steps from the driveway to the landing don't match the riser heights (5 1/2") and widths (36") of the steps from the landing to the front porch. I don't know why the riser heights were done differently - they were all the same in the wood steps he was replacing, but after the molds were built (still prior to pouring the concrete), Gary gave me heavy resistance to changing it. The widths are off because he didn't take into account the depth of the stone veneer on the retaining walls to either side of the lower steps which extends into the step. Project planning was also an issue where the stone interfaced with other materials. The vinyl siding I had put in didn't terminate the way Gary wanted it - and while Gary will say the siding installer should have known better (quite possibly true), coordination would have been easier on my end if this was specifically spelled out in the contract. This was fixed by the siding installer at my expense. The Garage doors were replaced prior to Gary's work with new trim/weatherstripping installed, because he was going to stone up right up to the trim. When the wood beneath the trim had to be removed, the trim was destroyed and had to replaced, again at my expense. There was a tree blocking his access to the chimney which was taken down, which should also have been in the contract. He was unwilling to remove the stump. The height of the patio was higher than we discussed, so I had to have 10 cubic yards of dirt brought in to bring the level of the backyard up to meet it. Starting this Spring, the driveway (asphalt) has buckled all along the length of the retaining wall, because the driveway was hollowed out underneath when they dug the footer. I will have to have this tended to before this Winter. I think at least some of these issues/expenses could have been mitigated with better planning and a more detailed contract. Despite all of that, there were positives too. Gary is very meticulous and conscientious working with the stone itself. I'm very happy with the fit of the cultured stone install on the house and the flagstone on the back patio - it looks beautiful. I believe that what he has built is very solid construction that should hold up over the long haul. When he was building the retaining wall, the level was out on each block as he tapped it level. There's rebar in the concrete of both the back patio and front porch anchored into the house. He discovered into the project that there was not adequate support in the existing wood framed chimney to hold the weight of the stone, which I appreciate him bringing to my attention so it could be addressed. Gary will take input and is generally easy to work with, so long as you discuss things in advance before he's into the task. Just initiate communication early and often to make sure you're on the same page.

Description of Work
Half the exterior of the house including the chimney was covered in cultured stone. The omni stone rear patio was replaced with flagstone over concrete. The wood front steps were replaced with concrete and the railroad tie retaining walls were replaced with block covered with the same cultured stone as the house.

07/09/2013

John C.

I met Gary and his partner in late April 2013 to discuss the addition to the rear of my home. Two weeks later we agreed upon a price, and I would obtain the permits and Pa. One Call. Gary encouraged me to have the exterior in brick to match my existing structure. Early May I obtained the building permit identifying Slinks as the contractor and placed the Pa One Call. Gary became evasive on when he would start and would never provide any type of date. June 7, 2013 I requested a Best Date and Worst Date for the start. He responded he and his partner felt there was not enough Profit in the quote and for me to find another contractor. I moved on with another contractor. I have been able to get an additional 12 X 22' Brick patio and 3' X 34' retaining wall and the Brick exterior on the addition for the same price. I believe our project was one too many for this contractor to complete because of over scheduling.

Description of Work
I received a quote for a 12x18 under roof brick addition to the rear of my home

Category masonry

Slink's Masonry, Inc had a couple of jobs that were scheduled prior to this job. One of the jobs that we were working on prior to this job, had many changes and additional work added. Once Slink's Masonry. Inc. starts a job, we complete it from start to finish. As we were on the previous job, (Member name removed) was anxious to start his job, understandably so. He continued to e mail me asking for a start date. Due the the changes and unforeseen issues and weather, that occurred on the current job, it was hard for me to give him an exact date. After touching bases a few times, he said he had another contractor that was eager to start. I responded to him and said to go ahead and use the other contractor, so we would not delay his project any longer.

06/18/2013

Dan W.

They were very professional and the did excellent work. They came every day just about, and really worked hard but seemed to enjoy the work. They have a high degree of skill in my opinion, took no short cuts and did a first class job. They really wanted to make sure we were satisfied with the results. We made some changes and I thought they were very fair on how they handles the pricing for those. I have some additional work I would like done in the future and I will call them first about doing it.

Description of Work
Gary and Chuck repaired some existing stone work, a front walk and a couple of steps. They also put in a flagstone patio that included a retaining wall. The size of the patio was about 15 X 15 and the retaining wall holding it was about 24" high.

Category masonry, hardscaping

05/01/2013

Kulapa S.

They did an amazing job even though it was difficult. It was beautiful. The price and workmanship was great. He was responsible and told me that he would finish his work on a said time. He did what he had to do.

Description of Work
I hired Slink's Masonry Inc to research and find brick places that still had the specific bricks I wanted. He also had done the mailbox for me too.

Category masonry, mailbox repair

02/15/2012

Mike M.

They were here on time and I will use them to do my work in the future.

Description of Work
I used Slink's Masonry to give me an estimate on masonry work of my hearth.

11/17/2011

Kitty O.

I called several companies for estimates for this job. Gary was by far the most responsive with immediate follow-up, good communication, easy to deal with and provided good workmanship (I think - I'll know more after a winter or two, but believe that if there were a problem he would remedy it). He was able to break the job down so that it would be affordable to do in stages and was able to get the first and second phase done before the weather change. I have already ask him to give me estimates on two other properties, and if affordable, will engage his services again.....good professional!

Description of Work
City rental row house in need of masonry work including pointing of an inside wall and chimney.

11/15/2011

Carrie G.

Gary came to our house and met with my 19 year old son and I for the estimate. He immediately began to say that everything needed replaced, not repaired, including sidewalks and many things I did not ask for and that were not even part of the foundation of the porch. He cursed repeatedly during the conversation and asked "How many losers have you had look at this?" When I questioned some of the things he wanted to do he got very defensive and instead of answering my questions kept asking me what I would do. It was obvious that he is used to giving estimates and expecting customers to just say yes. He is very unprofessional. I did not even get an estimate because of his behavior.

Description of Work
I asked for an estimate to repair cinder blocks that were shifting under my back porch.

Category masonry, foundation repair

It is unfortunate that the homeowner did not understand that it would cost more to brace a concrete pad (5 ft off the ground) that is sitting on deteriorating block. It would be very unsafe. I tried to explain to her that it would have been cheaper (less man hours) to remove the pad, then remove all block on porch foundation. I did ask her how many bids did she get on this job, which she had said 5. I never used the word "losers" or profanity in anyway. That is extremely unprofessional and I do not conduct business using profanity with homeowners. I take my professionalism very seriously, professional conduct, professional skill, etc. I try the best I can to work with the homeowners. I will not preform a job that doesn't meet code, is unsafe, or that will not be quality work. The homeowner did not want to hear what I had to say about removing the pad that was sitting on an unsound and unsafe condition. Therefore, I told her, "I am not interested in the job". As you can see in all of my other reports, the homeowners were very satisfied with myself, my company, and my work.

10/08/2011

Michele B.

Overall, great experience. Would hire them again in the future.

Description of Work
Gary,(company owner) gave us an estimate on several projects on the house we had just purchased. These included a foundation wall repair, chimney repair, and work on the older, concrete driveway. We hired his company and I am glad that we did. He and Tom rebuilt the wall under the garage in one day. Later the next week they repaired our fireplace and the cracked areas in our driveway. The work areas were left cleaned and any debris was removed. I would recommend the company and I would definitely hire them again! Good experience! It is nice to hire a company and meet people who take pride in their work.

Category concrete repair, masonry, fireplaces, foundation repair

08/30/2011

charles P.

see above

Description of Work
Gary spent a lot of time with me going over our chimney issues. He had an immediate grasp of the problems and solutions. I had to go with a lower estimate only because this is only one of four major projects we must tackle simultaneously.

05/31/2011

Donald M.

The service was provided on time, they were very professional and the workmanship was excellent and when they left everything was cleaned up.

Description of Work
Replaced damaged wing walls on our governors drive. They were 17 years old and one was knocked down by a car. They matched the brick and the pattern perfectly, they look exactly like they did when they were new. We would definitely use Slink's Masonry, Inc. again.

04/28/2009

conrad R.

Excellent, from start to finish. Very professional. He did all the preparatory work that was needed. After he started work on the wall, it became apparent that the footer was inadequate. He poured a new footer so that the wall would have a solid foundation, at no extra charge. The amount of time spent amazed me. Every brick was laid with tender loving care. The patio job was complicated. Access was difficult. The concrete had to be pumped. The job achieved its two purposes: first to have a nice patio, and second, to redirect the water drainage. For the first time ever, we had a dry basement. After both jobs, he cleaned up completely.

Description of Work
Gary did two jobs. He poured a concrete patio after removing the old one. He also replaced a brick wall that had fallen down. The patio cost $5,500 and the wall cost $2,400.

Category masonry, hardscaping