HOMEMASTERS Portland SW

Founded 2001 • With Angi since September 2008

4.3

7225 SW Bonita Rd

Tigard, OR 97224

Local company who is dedicated to service. We have teamed with 1st Security bank for financing and look forward to helping homeowners care for their biggest investment, their home.

09/12/2022

Elizabeth E.

My roof needed to be replaced and I had four contractors come look at my house. Not only was Matt the only one who did not insist on talking to my husband, he was professional and gave the lowest bid. If you are a woman looking for repairs or a new roof, this is the best company in Portland! We are very happy with the roof and now that it has better ventilation my house is much cooler! They also got the roof done within two weeks of signing the contract while we were out of town on vacation, so bonus points for being fast and convenient!

Description of Work
Roof replacement

06/30/2020

JANET C.

Workers were courteous however there were various issues. First there was a mistake in the bid and I was informed as they were tearing off my old roof that the price was actually going to be $1500 more. After the work was done I discovered that two roof vents were omitted. A crew was sent out to repair this mistake but the install was incorrect and another crew had to be sent out a week later to correct their work. I never did get the follow up work done because the company’s handyman coordinator (who is apparently a general manager) kept saying he would contact me, giving me specific dates, but never followed up. I will find someone else.

Description of Work
New roof and miscellaneous follow up work

Category bathtub refinishing, roofing

09/15/2019

Kevin & Angela F.

Process was easy from estimate to installation. Work was done as promised and when they realized we also ordered gutter screens they had to come back to install them. They came back same day. Only complaint was they left the debrit from our old gutters all over our walk way, flower beds and yard.

Description of Work
Gutter replacement

09/08/2017

Corey W.

I had a neighbors tree that fell over and wiped out my neighbors house and one of the branches side swiped the side of my roof and damaged the gutters. And they came out and reattached the gutter and made it to that the water wasn't pouring off my 2nd story. So it was a roof repair or gutter repair actually.It was an emergency repair. I am sure it wasn't cheap, I can guarentee it wasn't cheap. It was expensive.For what it was, it wasn't their fault. They are booked up weeks in advance and I needed something done so I had to pay the overtime rate and everything else. I have actually used them quite a bit in the last 3 to 5 years. I like them I think that are a relatively good company. I think they do excellent work in everything I've had them do, the only thing is that they tend to be expensive but I keep swinging back around because they are the people who show up when they say they are gonna show up and do the job they say their gonna do. And the guys are always super nice and super professional. I wanna give them and A, but cost wise they are expensive but obviously they can do it; because they are always super busy. Even though I complain about it, I keep doing in because I know I'm not gonna have a problem later with the work. I'll give them and A the only thing is that they are expensive in general. If you make an appointment they always show up, sometimes if it is an emergency it's hard. Where you need something immediately it'shard to get them but again that's not their fault. When they say they are gonna be there they show up.

Description of Work
Gutter Repair.

07/05/2017

Carl W.

Great - the roof was done in 4 days, gutters took longer due to special needs.

Description of Work
Complete re-roof and new gutters

Category gutter repair, roofing

We're so glad you are happy with your new roof and gutters. We appreciate your business. Should any of your neighbor look a little envious of the new look, please feel free to give them our info.

03/03/2017

Karen M.

It went very well. They did a quality job and were very nice workers. After removal of the old roofing material, it was apparent that some of the plywood needed replacing. The workers kept us informed as issues or questions came up. They did a very good job. The nicest part of this work is that the shingles are guaranteed for 30 years and the labor is guaranteed for 20 years. Warranty is transferable. Would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
We needed to have our roof replaced.

Category gutter cleaning, roofing, roof cleaning

We're so happy to hear that you are happy with your new roof. We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to help you again in the future.

12/27/2016

Paula H.

It went well. We will call them again.

Description of Work
Roof cleaning

Category gutter cleaning, roof cleaning

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are so glad you were happy with your service. Please let us know when you're ready for your next cleaning and we'll be happy to assist again.

11/26/2016

Maryanne Z.

They did very good work. It took forever to get them out there. It kind of went on and on, but I stuck with them, and when they did come out they did a good job.

Description of Work
They fixed some damaged gutters.

11/02/2016

Carl L.

I purchased new gutters for the house, they took the down payment and said they would be by in a couple of weeks to install. After 3 wks I had to go down to there office to check on where they were because I could not get through to anyone by phone who could tell me anything. After going down to their office I find out I was not even on the schedule and they could not find my paperwork. After about 20mins. they found the paperwork that confirmed I had paid the down payment, they put me on the schedule for the following wk. they came to install the gutters in august, every thing seemed fine and I paid the price they requested. When the October rains came I had a downspout that leaked very badly. I called to ask them to come take a look at it and was told that if they send someone out and determine that it was not an installation problem that they would charge me $75 weather I had them fix it or not. I asked them what guarantee would I have that someone would not just come out and say it was not a warranty issue just to collect the $75. I was told that they would not do that they are very honest. Then they said again that if I wanted to someone to come out to look at it and it was not warranted work it would cost $75 for the visit and whatever cost they determine to fix the problem. When I told them that that is not the right way to stand behind your work they said that, it was my choice and hung up the phone on me. If you have to tell people that you are honest....... If I could give them lower than one star I would. You definitely do not want to hire this company.

Description of Work
Install new gutters

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair

08/31/2016

c C.

Possibly the worst home project experience I have had in 25 years. This bungled job took 14 months to completely resolve, not to my satisfaction, even though it involved a relatively trivial job. The initial work was performed in October. The heavy rains did not come until late December. In January I noticed that after the rain stopped, water dripped continuously from the corner of new gutter for days, damaging the area below. Homemasters sent someone to "seal" the corner. "Is that really a permanent solution?" I asked. He assured me it was. A couple of weeks later it was dripping again. Over the next several months I made at least 20 phone calls to them. During multiple visits by their personnel (they tried the "sealing" route again), the following factscame out: (1) When they originally installed the gutter, the fascia board was too rotten to hold screws... Why did they not inform me of this at the time, instead of slapping up a gutter covering a real problem? Incompetence, or just complete lack of professionalism? (2) ...so they just laid the gutter on the ledge from which the previous gutter had been hung. My home was built in 1898 and has settled. The corner of the ledge is now its lowest point, so water collected in the corner of the gutter and did not drain after a rain. 'Nothing we can do about a crooked house.' ******** -- the previous gutter was installed with adjustable hangers that made setting of the correct angle for drainage possible. They tried to avoid re-doing the job correctly by using the quickest, cheapest fix possible (allow the water to accumulate, just "seal" the corner so it wouldn't drip out). Possibly, this was not a swindle: the personnel they sent out to do the job may truly have just been totally incompetent, and lacking proper training/ supervision. I started calling daily. They sent somebody with some experience who took a look and understood the gutters needed hangers. As long as they were going to be pulling them off to correct the problem, I asked that the rotten fascia board be replaced. Correcting the installation of the gutters was their problem, but I was willing to pay for the board. I was surprised when I received a bid for $550 ($50 more than the original gutter installation!) to provide a new board, paint it with paint supplied by me, and install it. I was told it was because the job would entail two crews (handyman and gutter), and that they would be tied up much of the day due to painting the board and allowing it to dry before installation. Just wanting to get this resolved, I agreed. On the scheduled day, no handyman crew arrived. The gutter crew left, saying they could not do their part until the handyman had done the fascia board. My wife contacted me at work, and I called Homemasters, rather irate by now, and was promised the work would be completed that day, as scheduled. When I got home, I found: (1) The gutter crew was sent back to do the job on their own (no handymen ever came). (2) They had no paint brushes. It appears they put the board up first, then attached the gutter to it, then sloppily coated the exposed lower edge (only) of the board using a plastic bag to apply the paint. The paint can was still full. (3) And they attached the gutter to the fascia board - they did not use hangers as agreed. (4) Including the re-installation of the gutter, they were gone in under 2 hours. I did not see how this was worth $550 (since getting the gutter to drain correctly was their problem). But the gutter was no longer on the ledge, at an angle that seemed to allow proper drainage, and I did not want to see them again. When the bill arrived I just sent it back with a description of my grievances, asking that it be adjusted accordingly. For 5 months I heard nothing. Then an accountant called me asking when I was going to pay the bill. I explained that I had sent a letter, was waiting for answer to it, and when I received it I would pay. I was contacted several more times by phone and email before they could successfully communicate among themselves and understand the situation. I finally received the bill again. There was no response to my grievances, but they lowered the asking amount by $50. Nowhere near enough. Given Homemasters' incompetence, lack of professionalism, and shoddy work (on a simple job!), I would highly recommend you look elsewhere for the services they offer, especially if you own an older house.

Description of Work
I asked them to replace a short L-shaped section of gutter in an extremely accessible place.

01/27/2016

Daniel C.

When you get an estimate for work from Homemasters, you?ll be tempted to go with them. They will likely be cheaper than the other estimates you received. You might even have one of their slick, glossy coupons that makes the price seem even better. Resist this temptation. Why? Because Homemasters does shoddy work that they refuse to stand behind. I wish I had. I didn?t,and I ended up regretting it. I asked them to stop the leaks in my roof. They told me how much it would cost. I paid them to do so. It seemed cut and dry, but my assumptions were way off base. For example, I expected them to use shingles. Initially, the roofer assigned to my job told me that it might take longer than a day so he could find shingles that matched the ones on my roof. He still managed to get the work done that day. I was happy with the speed and expected they did a good job. A few days later, water was pouring into my living room again. Why? Because Homemasters does shoddy work that they refuse to stand behind. I called Homemasters to alert them to the issue. Before addressing my concern they wanted to do some research. They didn?t come to my house to inspect the work of their employees. Their research was finding an excuse. In this case, they called back to tell me that ?leaks can migrate, and they don?t guarantee them.? Also, the particulars of my roof were such that the leaks were particularly likely to migrate. That?s important information to have. Unfortunately, it was the first time I had heard it. Had Homemasters shared this information with me when they came out the first time, I could have weighed those risks against the other estimates I received. The other estimates I had in hand didn?t mention it, but they were planning to use new shingles. Homemasters either withheld that information at the time of service or were negligent in remembering to share it with me. Both are inexcusable. I patiently pleaded for Homemasters to come out and complete the job they had been paid to do once already. They offered to come take a look but only if I paid an emergency trip fee. That would have been the third trip fee. They charged me two for two visits about an hour apart the last time, something I reluctantly went along with. When I told them that I didn?t think that paying for another visit was fair, they offered to waive the emergency fee and only charge me their regular service fee. They even offered to apply roof repairs toward a brand new roof. I don?t want to downplay this last point. That?s a meaningful concession but it?s also one where I am locked in to spend thousands of dollars with them to recoup the costs I already paid for once. I turned them down. At this point there was no way I was going to spend more money with them. Why? You guessed it: Because Homemasters does shoddy work they refuse to stand behind. I?ll never let them be responsible for a whole roof and neither should you. When a new roofing company came out, they were aghast at the quality of the work Homemasters performed. Apparently, Homemasters caulked the roof instead of replacing the shingles. This explained why they got the work done so fast. I guess I should have known. I don?t like giving negative reviews. I assume some people have good days and some have bad days. It?s one thing if you have someone in your employ that is new and learning and makes mistakes. I even expect a company to occasionally have someone on staff who is incompetent that is on their way out. That?s part of every company. But you have to stand behind your values and fix the mistakes of these people. I can?t encourage Angie?s List customers strongly enough to avoid Homemasters. I hope this review and my subsequent report to the Better Business Bureau will help you avoid the mistake I made.

Description of Work
Installed flapper vents "Repaired" roof leaks

Category gutter cleaning, handyman service, plumbing, roofing

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It is our goal to give each and everyone of our customer amazing customer service, and it seems like we missed the mark here. I know that we had reached a resolution through the BBB, but I wanted to make sure to address this here as well. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. Your input will be used as part of our new training program to help improve our customer experience.

12/06/2015

Derek B.

Since this work was done in 2013, it's hard to remember exactly. As far as the work, I remember Homemasters being professional and easy to communicate with. I wish the downspout installation would have been charged at cheaper rate than the rest of the gutters, since the downspouts are much easier, but it was only a minor issue, and that led me to give them a B grade rather than an A grade. As far as quality the gutters are still up 2 years later with no issues.

Description of Work
Installed new gutters and downspouts.

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair

09/14/2015

susan B.

Did the job. Cleaned up. Everything fine. Purchased the big deal for $119.

Description of Work
cleaned gutters on all 4 sides of house

Category gutter cleaning

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It's always good to hear that our team was able to successfully help you, a valued customer, with your project. Thanks again, Gary

09/11/2015

Tony R.

Provider was supposed to install self-cleaning gutters.? Came out, took measurements.? Also tried to sell a new roof, but not one that we wanted!! Never heard back from them.? I would never do busines with thiscompany.

Description of Work
Basically took our money and was never heard from again.

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair, roofing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It's our goal to continually improve our customer service in all areas. Reviews are the best way to find out areas to improve. We will use this review for future training. Thanks again, Gary

09/09/2015

Kathleen C.

They came and sprayed some powdery stuff in about 10 minutes but it worked. Whenever I called, they came out within a few days. We would probably use them in the future.

Description of Work
I purchased a big deal for Homemasters. It was for moss.

Category roof cleaning

09/08/2015

Tresa B.

The came on time, I asked them if they also do moss removal, they informed me that they dd. The cleaned out th gutters and put moss killer on my roof, in a couple months the moss was gone on my roof. They are fantastic, highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Cleaned out the gutters and for additional they also do moss removal from roofs

Category gutter cleaning, roof cleaning

06/29/2015

Karl K.

On time - you could almost set your clock by these guys! They went right to work and removed the old materials. Small material was put into a plastic garbage can and the shingles and old plywood was put in the driveway. It was eventually put into the back of a van and hauled away. They were here several hours. I hadn't scheduled a gutter but one call made that happen since I was unable to use the gutter I had originally.It didn't fit with the material that was put back on the roof. The gutter was done the following day and it looks great! I'd recommend this company and these workers - I'd re-use them again for my next job!!

Description of Work
Removed shingles, plywood and the rest of the roof materials from a carpot. Then they replaced the same using a membrane instead of shingles. New gutter installed as well

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair, roofing

05/25/2015

JON I.

This review is a bit dated but Angie's Lists keeps on bugging me to write a review and I can't seem to turn that off, so here's a review! I called Homemasters to set up an appointment. They were backed up a bit so it took a couple of weeks to schedule a visit. I did not need to be home and did not witness the work, but they did unclog one of the downspouts as it wasn't overflowing during heavy rains anymore. I was satisfied with the work and called them again and had them clean on 11/11/2014 and was also satisfied with their work, and they quoted me the same price again.

Description of Work
Cleaned out gutters and downspouts.

Category gutter cleaning, plumbing

05/24/2015

Chris B.

Workers were good, office staff including Brian, Doug and especially the owner, Richard Lindstrom, were obnoxious. Because they were late starting the project, completely unorganized and only working part days there was a pending schedule conflict with the painting contractor. When Homemasters was informed they would not be able to work while the painting contractor was working, I was threatened by Richard and Doug with anything they could think of including law suits. Richard asserted he and his crew would arrive the morning of the start of painting whether I liked it or not at which point I scheduled the Sherriff to be here to greet them. Fortunately they worked things out directly with the painting contractor and I cancelled the Sherriff's visit. These people need to go back to grade school to learn that bullying tactics are unacceptable.

Description of Work
Roof and Gutters

Category gutter cleaning, roofing

04/16/2015

Debbi S.

We used them through Angie’s List and they were terrible. They did not get the moss off the roof entirely at all. They splashed up many of our windows with their cleaning products. They didn’t clean it up. My husband couldn’t get it off. I had to try to get them come back out to clean their mess for months and they were unresponsive. I finally had somebody else come out, do the roof, and clean up their mess from the windows. I had to fight with them to get them to pay the other guy and to reimburse us for the other guy for the job that they didn’t do correctly and that they left the mess. They finally took care of that but I had to threaten them about the Business Bureau, which we don’t do that.

Description of Work
They cleaned the roof.

Category roof cleaning

04/10/2015

Summer R.

They came out, they were very fast, and didn't leave any mess.

Description of Work
Did a patch job on my roof.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It’s always good to hear that our team worked well to help one of our valued customers. Thanks again, Gary

04/07/2015

Ginger F.

I used this provider last year when my smoke detector lost it's mind. I have 12 foot ceilings and can not reach the smoke detector who's battery was dying. They came immediatly last year and fixed the problem as well as pointing out I had a ant infestation in the smoke detector and eliminated the immediate issue. I received the reminder from them this year to replace the batteries at my request, just after a major wind storm blew out my east side back yard fence. They called, asked for pictures so they knew what they would need to repair the fence and be prepared. They called to remind me once the day before and again two hours before they arrived to make sure I was ready for him. It was all done within and hour and half. If I had paid better attention to their notice I could have avoided the travel fee for less then 3 hours and got more done. They have multiple fees based on what is done at that time. I remember a few other things after he left but that will be for another time. I will have them back next year for the battery exchange and all the fix it's around the house and those things out of my reach. All three of the people I have met have been courteous and respectful.

Description of Work
Change batteries in high ceiling smoke detectors, change light bulbs in high ceiling kitchen, repair wind blown fence at the post.

Category electrician, fencing, gutter cleaning, handyman service, lighting, masonry

03/24/2015

Ricard W.

We have a lot of windows on two stories. Some of the windows were quite dirty. A husband and wife team arrived at the scheduled time. They cleaned all the windows inside and out, including the window tracks, sills and frames as needed. They washed all the screens. They did a very thorough job and the windows were very clean, no streaks, or residue. They were very professional as well. I would use their service again and would recommend them to anyone needed windows cleaned.

Description of Work
Cleaned all windows on house, garage and shed. Washed all window screens.

Category gutter cleaning, replacement windows

02/24/2015

Ken S.

Repair guy was prompt, polite and friendly. Unfortunately it appears he was not very experienced. We expected that they would replace the cracked grout with new grout. The method for that is to dig out the old grout and replace it. What he used was actually a caulk material. It said it was "grout" on the tube but it was a rubberized, sanded material that had much more in common with caulk than grout. So, maybe it would be ok.... but I was doubtful. I had marked all the areas to repair with blue painters tape. He caulked the cracks at the floor of the shower and around the recessed tile shelf. Unfortunately he missed the blue tape on the upper corners of the shower. After he left the areas he repaired did look better. Unfortunately, two days after he left the caulk at the corners of the shower floor was splitting and gaps opened up. We called and they were quite apologetic and sent the guy out again. He explained that the shower should have been allowed to dry out a few days since moisture caused the problem. It would have been helpful if they told us that before the repair. Anyway, he recaulked the floor and also the areas he missed. I must admit that now the repairs are holding up well and they look pretty good. I would have preferred real grout, installed in the traditional way, but this repair is working.

Description of Work
Company was hired to repair grout in tile shower.

Category ceramic tile

02/19/2015

Sean N.

Good customer service. Quick response time.

Description of Work
Minor roofing repair and roof cleaning.

Category roofing, roof cleaning