Tom Payne Masonry Inc

Founded 1997 • With Angi since June 2010

4921 SE Glen Echo Ave

Portland, OR 97267

We are a small licensed/bonded/insured company started in 1997, locally owned and operated, with over 40 years of experience. We are new to Angie's List thanks to IT saavy daughter. We will probably not be your cheapest bid because 1) we use top quality materials and will not cut corners; 2) we

11/23/2021

Steven M.

I car careened head-on into a brick pillar that is part of my fence rendering it irreparable. To settle with the driver’s insurance, I was required three bids. Tom came out and looked at what was required to rebuild the pillar. While he was here, he took me through a binder showcasing his work. I found this very impressive. The other two companies asked that I send them photos and they returned a bid. Tom’s effort to come and talk with me was the key factor in selecting his service. In the process of rebuilding the fence, a second pillar was accidentally knocked over, and broke; for which Tom provide his services for. The quality of Tom’s works has made both pillars better than the originals. Tom also indicated the original pillars lacked a cement footing and were built up over the dirt. I would highly recommend Tom Payne Masonry for your masonry needs.

Description of Work
Replace 2 brick pillars that are part of a fence.

Category concrete repair, masonry

Thank you so much for the amazing review. Loved doing the work for you!

08/08/2019

Peter M.

We were researching companies who would/could replace our old brick mailbox with a new one and Tom Payne Masonry, was our pick. We wanted to be sure to get a craftsman with years of experience and Tom seemed to display that! When we called, Tom returned our call promptly... he came out and gave us an estimate within a day or so and while he was here, we talked about options and kinds of brick to use for the new brick mailbox. He wrote up a proposal, we accepted his proposal after the weekend and set up a date with him to come out and do the work. Tom and his assistant came out sooner than anticipated (thank you for that).They worked hard and did a fantastic job on our new mailbox. One can tell now, it was built by a true craftsman. Everything was cleaned up well too... after the job was done! Tom is friendly and professional, he does high quality work and we have no problem recommending him to others in our community. We will keep him on our list for future Masonry work, that's for sure!

Description of Work
Build a new Brick Mailbox 8-7-19

Category mailbox repair

Thanks [Member Name Removed].

06/01/2019

Aaron L.

It went very well. The work was done while we were absent and the work was executed well nonetheless. The team showed up on time, worked until the project was completed, cleaned up very well after themselves, and finished the job. We are very satisfied with the work accomplished and would hire this company again.

Description of Work
Tuckpointing Historic House

Thank you !

11/14/2018

Gregory M.

Tom made repairs to an aging brick sign. Tom completed the job as agreed and in the agreed time frame. The sign looks great.

Description of Work
Repaired a brick sign

11/12/2018

Robyn S.

Mr. Payne is great. Friendly, knowledgeable, and committed. Our school port cochere columns look great.

Description of Work
Brick column base

11/06/2018

Mary Ellen F.

They were great -- friendly, got the work done sooner than anticipated.

Description of Work
Repair of concrete and brick steps and walkways

Category concrete repair, masonry, mailbox repair

Thank you !

11/03/2018

Toby & Jan T.

Tom Payne did a fantastic job of a chimney at an investment property. Not only did Tom give us the lowest bid, he did a fantastic job.

Description of Work
Chimney re-build

Category masonry, chimney repair

Thanks :-)!

10/28/2018

Diane H.

I backed into my brick light post knocking half of it sideways. Tom answered my call came out gave me an estimate performed the work on an agreed date. Matching the brick was difficult because it was so old. Tom matched it as well as could be expected and I am very happy with the repair.

Description of Work
repair light post in driveway

Category masonry, mailbox repair

Thank you.

10/25/2018

Greg K.

In every regard, Tom's work was high quality. I highly recommend Tom Payne Masonry Inc without restrictions, the work Tom did on my home was extensive. Tom did an incredible job and was a pleasure to work with.

Description of Work
Home repair and renovation

Category masonry

Thank you [Member Name Removed].

10/25/2018

DYANNA D.

Tom was very nice and professional. He explained everything very thoroughly. The mailbox looks great.

Description of Work
To install a new mailbox in our brick receptical

Category masonry, mailbox repair

11/01/2017

steve B.

The jobsite was just two blocks down the street from Tom Payne's business location. Since Tom Payne had put in the existing brickwork previously, and had done two other large jobs for me, I called him to get a estimate to re-set my existing 3 bricks. He said that he had a normal minimum, but would do the job for less for me as a previous customer who was close by. The work was done a week and a half later, and I was presented with a bill for $334---FOR THREE BRICKS. $334!!!!! I would beware of Tom Payne's hefty minimum.

Description of Work
Replace 2 and 1/2 bricks which had been knocked out of an existing course of bricks. No damage to the bricks themselves.

Category masonry

[Member Name Removed] wanted three bricks re-laid and I told him in person when I went to look at the job that I had a four hour labor min. I explained what was involved, quoted a price, and a estimate of when I could get over there to fixed because I was completely booked that week. [Member Name Removed] said," lets do it" so I got there as soon as I could, did the work, and gave the invoice to his wife because [Member Name Removed] wasn't home. She paid me, but wasn't happy with the price. The price I charged was 1/2 of my 4 hour labor minimum which includes $$ for Uncle Sam. I didn't charge them profit, overhead costs, or materials.

09/18/2017

Jeffrey P.

Tom and his assistant did a good job. Left the site all cleaned up, no problems. The only quibble I have is that he gave me a pretty vague, mostly verbal quote. I was under the impression that in included a coat of masonry sealant; when he was finished power-washing, though, he said his recommendation was to never do that. If we'd had that discussion *before* doing the work I would have been a lot more comfortable.

Description of Work
Chimney exterior clean & seal

Barbara H.

I used Tom. It was very good. I was very impressed with him. He has been out here twice. I liked it so much I had him do more. He did good job and did it personally. He came right away, gave us an estimate and then did it. He cleaned up and it was beautiful.

Description of Work
He did brick work in front of the house.

Barbara H.

We have used him twice. We were very, very impressed with him.

Description of Work
He did brick work under a window for me.

Barbara H.

He was very good. I was impressed with him. It was beautiful.

Description of Work
Brick work in front of house.

11/09/2016

tom J.

It went extremely well. Whereas the 4 other contractors I called simply said they were months out and "take it or leave it" Tom started asking questions to understand all he could about my needs and devised a way to accommodate what was in fact a scheduling emergency for me since this phase of construction was about to hold up other phase contractors. I am truly grateful for this uncommon attention.

Description of Work
We were constructing a new warehouse building for one of our stores which required concrete block to be installed along the bottom 3' of the exterior wall.

10/24/2016

Christopher R.

We were quoted $40,000 for an approximately 40' long masonry wall.

Description of Work
We wanted a masonry wall installed along the front of our property.

Category masonry

The quote was for quite a bit more than a simple 40 foot wall. It was for 40 linear feet of cinder block, 6 feet high with rebar and grouted solid and then covered in a hard to find expensive used brick veneer and cap to match the brick on the house which are only located in a brick yard that does not deliver so it would have required several trips to procure enough bricks to veneer the wall. In addition to the wall, the estimate included 2 large gated entry pillars and 5 additional in wall pillars spaced throughout the length of the wall - all with concrete pyramid Caps. And like any large project it would have required a large excavation and concrete footings, plans, permits, and multiple inspections all of which have to be paid for and included in the quote. Lastly we made several attempts to contact Mr. [Member Name Removed] to discuss reducing the price (by cutting into our take home amount) but our messages were never returned.

01/08/2016

Philip G.

Tom responded quickly to our request for a quote. He visited our home and discussed our mailbox ideas and went over the plan thoroughly and made his recommendations. We have been making improvements to our newly purchased 1992 built home for six months and worked with many contractors.; we found Tom to be one of the best we had the pleasure of employing. He was responsive, price competitive, knowledgable, directed us to a brick supplier to choose our brick, and for a bonus has a good sense of humor. :-). Mailbox looks terrific!

Description of Work
Tom built us a beautiful brick mailbox

09/12/2015

Sharon B.

We are extremely pleased with Thomas Payne Masonry. The company is very responsive. They call or email when they say they will. They arrived when they said they would arrive, both to provide an estimate and perform the work. The work was exceptional and the price was exactly what they quoted. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this company and look forward to working with them again.

Description of Work
Thomas Payne provided tuck point and patching services for our garage.

10/17/2014

Frank M.

Another contractor had told me that the entire chimney would have to be replaced. But Tom Payne saw that it just needed a good tuck-pointing. He and one helper built a scaffold and worked without a break, hoping that the rain would hold off. Fortunately, it did. He showed up when he said he would and left the place neat afterwards. The chimney looks great now!

Description of Work
Ground out mortar joints and tuck pointed new mortar back into my 1970s era chimney that had loose mortar coming out. Also struck the joints and acid washed the bricks afterwards.

05/02/2014

REBECCA F.

Tom was very helpful in providing options for reconfiguring the fireplace so that our new insert would fit. Tarps were laid down when the work was done so the room was kept clean. He removed a row of arched bricks and replaced them with a row that would be square, along with appropriate support materials. He was able to get us in quickly due to another cancellation and was on time. We were provided an estimate prior to service and there were no changes when the project was complete. We would use Tom again for any masonry needs.

Description of Work
Removed a brick arch from fireplace and replaced with a new row of bricks in preparation for fireplace insert.

03/23/2014

Connie S.

We moved into our house and had installed a 100 year old beam as our fireplace mantle. It was never grouted around the mantle and we could see the wood base - I selected Tom from Angies list and gave him a call. He showed up right on time, and matched the existing grout - and finished the job neatly and quickly - we are very happy with the end result. We asked him to bid another project as well and hope to do additional work with him.

Description of Work
Fireplace mantle grout

10/26/2013

Ina C.

We had a tree fall and crack our flag stone patio. We called Tom Payne (thanks to finding his business on Angie's List). We was out of town but answered the call and said he would get back to us upon his return. Good to his word he called, showed up as promised and submitted a competitive bid. We chose him for the job and when a potential for a scheduling conflict arose, he called us AHEAD OF TIME. We were so impressed as that so seldom happens. In the end no conflict existed, he showed up as agreed and completed the repair. We are extremely satisfied.

Description of Work
Cracked flagstone patio

10/01/2013

RuthAnn .

Mr. Payne spent a fair amount to time with me, looking at two jobs. One of them he said was not a masonry job--that he could make things look nicer but that the cost of his coming for his minimum of 3 hours was pretty spendy for just making things look better and that it was not going to solve the problem. On the other job he wrote out a bid and had it to me within 48 hours via email. It was in the middle, price wise, of two other bids I got. He scheduled the job about a week out. He said he would be there at 7:30 a.m. and he was there 15 minutes early. He and his worker worked very hard and efficiently. He was gone by noon. The chimney is on the equivalent of a third floor with a fairly steep roof in an area that is hard to see. He set up good scaffolding, was extremely careful, working on a somewhat uneven and slightly slanted area. To the extent that I can see, the job is well done. The work site was left clean. I think I may have a tendency to ruffle the feathers of some contractors--and I felt I had to step back a bit to keep from doing that with this one. Just my perception, which may not be accurate. I would hire him again if I needed other work done.

Description of Work
fixed a 106 year old chimney so that it looks new--putting in new mortar between the bricks and cleaning up the moss and surrounding roof. I hope that this will take care of a water problem in my basement.

Category masonry, chimney repair

07/23/2013

Susan K.

We normally would not write a review about a provider we did not use. But we got a lot of bids on our chimney job and Tom Payne came in a close second. Mr. Payne gave us a reasonable and thorough bid. He was professional and courteous. There was one aspect of the job that he was unable to do, which is ultimately why we went with someone else--our timeline was short. But I'm confident anyone who goes with Mr. Payne would have a good experience.

Description of Work
Tom Payne came out and gave us an estimate on a chimney job.

Category concrete repair, masonry

Euro Masonry LLC

Euro Masonry LLC is a company backed by 10+ years experience. We offer competitive rates and have very excellent references with very satisfied customers. Free estimates. Our work is always high quality, clean, and done in a timely manner. Additional contact name - Kiana Karlovic. Award winning. Additional phone number - (503) 333-0133.

Ric's CV Painting & Repair LLC

Our professional team is committed to client satisfaction and quality workmanship. Our excellent reputation and long list of satisfied clients attest to our superior craftsmanship, attention to detail, clear communication, honesty and integrity. we work with our clients to achieve the best results for their homes. From an initial inspection, to color selection, to protecting your investment our team is here for you. Let's discuss your ideas! Your free consultation and estimate is just a phone call away."

2022 Super Service Award

4-Belt Concrete & Masonry, LLC

We are the experts when it comes to residential concrete and masonry. Our reputation for quality work, responsiveness, and competitive pricing has been the primary factor in our success. We are committed to client satisfaction in which we serve the client from the developmental stages of a project to final completion.

Master Craftsman, Brick, Block, Stone, Rock, Concrete, Retaining Walls, Chimneys, Indoor & Outdoor Fireplaces, Mailboxes, Patios, Driveways, Sidewalks, BBQ, Barbecues, Tuck Pointing, Masonry, Veneers, Pavers, Stairs, Tile, Outdoor Pizza Ovens

Chimney sweeping