Tom Leach Roofing

Founded 1982 • With Angi since May 2006

4120 SE International Way, Ste A102

Portland, OR 97222

We specialize on Old Portland & Historical homes. We work on all kinds of residential homes in the Portland area. We have been in business since 1982. Affordable. Quality. Guaranteed.

06/23/2021

Steven H.

Juan and crew replaced our entire roof in four days. They were prompt, friendly, and in particular the daily cleanup was great. They gave special attention to flashing around the chimney and skylights. All my questions were answered. I think this company is excellent and price was competitive.

Description of Work
New asphalt shingle roof.

Category chimney sweep, roofing

02/27/2020

Steven H.

This is a good company. They responded right away when we had a leak causing some interior damage, and put tarps over the affected area. They ordered two skylights, which turned out to be a perfect match, and replaced them about two weeks later. Crew of three were competent, cleanup was excellent.

Description of Work
Roof leak required replacement of two skylights and associated flashing.

12/26/2019

Gary O.

The skylight which was replaced was about 45 years old and was leaking air all the time, and water when it rained. The skylight was large (`48" X 53") and very heavy (took three crew members to handle it). It was installed on a sloped second floor roof. The crew was very creative in handling both the old and new units and in getting the new one installed. The contract was for installation and associated roofing work only - no interior finish work. It was necessary for the crew to remove some interior sheetrock to allow for proper installation; this was done in a manner that didn't create too much of a mess, and allowed for pretty straightforward repair and finishing. The job took several hours on a single day. There was a scheduling delay of a couple of weeks due to a delay in shipping from the manufacturer. But communication about this was good. The job was expensive, but in line with another bid we had received. We've used Tom Leach for other roofing jobs. We chose them for this work because of our past positive experiences with them (especially NO problems with leaking of roofs they worked on).

Description of Work
Replacement of large roof window (skylight)

11/29/2019

Virginia H.

Tom Leach roofing did a superlative job. They were punctual in the morning and cleaned up beautifully every night. They kept us informed of progress, and adjusted to adding the garage at the last minute. The house is old Tudor style, so there are lots of 'valley's and some steep sections of the roof. We were VERY happy with their work, and would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
We had our roof replaced --house and garage. The re-roofing included removing 4 skylights and replacing another four.

11/08/2019

Colin R.

Our family has had Tom Leach roof two houses. The first one was my parents' house in the early 2000s; the most recent one was my home in October of 2019. Our experience was that the estimator listened to us, and added our special requests (remove old skylights, stainless steel valleys to match our new chimney flashing) without complaint; and the crew is diligent and personable, they cleaned up the grounds well, and they listened to suggestions. My wife baked them a cake on the last day. Our roof looks great; unfortunately, it makes our old paint look terrible. Guess we will tackle that next year.

Description of Work
Roofing of a House

06/08/2019

Patrick F.

We were very pleased with the work done by Tom Leach Roofing. They started the job on schedule and worked long full days to get it done. The crew was professional, thorough, communicated well to keep us informed, and worked smoothly and efficiently as a team. They were creative in accessing a difficult to reach roof and in creating a great system to remove all the old material directly into their truck. We were impressed with how quietly they worked and with how clean they left the grounds at the end of each day. We would highly recommend them!

Description of Work
Roof replacement

03/31/2019

Rebecca R.

Our house is 100 yrs old, so performing any major repairs/maintenance can be a little scary. You never know what will be discovered when things are deconstructed. Our project included not only a complete reroofing, but some additional vents for an incorrectly vented bathroom fan and an upcoming kitchen remodel. We felt like we were in good hands with Aaron and his team throughout the whole project, from estimate to completion. Aaron was pleasant and easy to work with and made the effort to follow up after our initial visit and again after the work was completed. We were always able to get in touch with him in a timely manner. Juan and the team who actually did the work were polite, clean and very hard working. There was no trace left behind from the work and they showed up promptly and worked consistently throughout the day. Juan was good at communicating with us throughout the job and took pictures of any areas we needed to discuss. We are very happy with the new roof so far.

Description of Work
Replacement of entire home and garage roof.

03/29/2019

Aaron K.

Tom Leach replaced the roof of our multi-pitched house and garage (including a tear-off and plywood installation on the garage). They also replaced an old skylight that required some carpentry work due to an odd housing for the old skylight. I've also worked with them in the past for smaller repairs, where they always kept me honestly appraised of the roof's condition and lifespan. While their bid was slightly higher than the higher-volume company I got a quote from, I ultimately decided that their integrity, treatment of their workers, and track record were worth it, and I didn't regret it at all. They communicated clearly, took great care in their work (including protecting plants around the house), were always on time, cleaned up thoroughly, and did a beautiful job. When some old, cracked shingles started to come apart with flashing removal (which was inevitable), they showed me the issue and put in some extra work to patch and seal as much as they reasonably could do. I'll be sticking with them for future maintenance. Highly recommended!

Description of Work
Replace Roof

02/27/2019

Elizabeth B.

Excellent, very glad I chose this company.

Description of Work
Fully new roof

02/16/2019

Cathy S.

I needed a full-roof tear off on my 1894 Victorian Cottage. I got estimates from three local roofers and selected Tom Leach Roofing after meeting with representatives and examining customer reviews of all three. I had total confidence in Aaron from the beginning, and Juan and his crew did a fantastic job throughout the process—down to the most minute detail (even washing the skylight window). A 5-day job, and at the end of each day cleanup was immaculate. My garden was perfectly protected, even my tiny new vine maple was unscathed. My roof looks absolutely beautiful, and I could not be more satisfied. I will definitely recommend Tom Leach Roofing to friends, family, and neighbors! Thank you for a job well done.

Description of Work
Roof tear off and new roof

08/25/2018

Lee M.

This was high quality professional work. It started when Aaron came to the house and said that the upper part of the roof was ok and the only part that needed replacing was the the lower part (due to some tree issues). Complete honesty and candor. His crew came right on time, did very professional work, and cleaned up well. The bill was exactly to the penny in line with the estimate. When Aaron came to inspect the work afterward, I asked him the question "how does anybody else stay in business with you guys around?" It's true. This has got to be the best roofing company in Portland.

Description of Work
Partial roof replacement

07/16/2018

SPIKE C.

From the first contact everyone from Tom Leach Roofing was on time and professional. While I was somewhat shocked by the estimate, it turned out it was much lower than others. The workers did a great job protecting the grounds and cleaning up each day, leaving the place cleaner than they found it. The house roof looks great and so does the garage roof.

Description of Work
Tear off reroofing House, clean garage roof

Category gutter cleaning, roofing, roof cleaning

04/24/2018

Robert A.

Excellent....crew showed up on day promised and were finished by days end...

Description of Work
New Gazebo roof

03/30/2018

MICHAEL S.

These guys are great - communication and coordination excellent. They performed the work with great care and spent a lot of time on the fine details to make it weatherproof and look good. I would not hesitate to hire them again.

Description of Work
Installation of two new skylights plus removal and patching of one old skylight.

03/06/2018

Kim A.

First time we used Tom Leach, work roof was fairly well done, although they did not match color of roofing titles. We asked them to bid on a flat garage roof afterwards. Bid was $4,000. Life happened and we didn't reroof our garage. A year later we asked for bid on same project bid was $11,000. Guy was ARROGANT and RUDE, RUDE, RUDE. He seemed mad because we didn't hire them the year before, but we did not hire anyone. The bid nearly 3 times higher than the first one seemed to be an ** bid. Found someone who completed the work fast, did extras without charging us on the main roof the TL had missed. He was nice and professional and only charged $3,500. In short, there are plenty of good roofers that are cheaper, do quality work and don't treat you like a dog.

Description of Work
Pitched rood sky lights (completed); received bid on flat roof did not use

Hi [Member Name Removed], I pulled out of our files the two quotes we did to see why there was such a difference and found that they were bid differently. The first one on 16 Sept. 16 did not include all new plywood or all new cap flashing which was why the cost was at $3766.00. The rot was noted as a Time and Material cost which is common when it looks like there is the potential for rot but the extent isn't known until the roof is removed. The bid done on 11 Sept 2017 was $11,066.00 which was really not for the same work but a more extensive job which was not what you wanted or what was bid previously. The experience you had when you contacted my estimator was not acceptable in any way and very unusual as you can see from our many raving reviews. After reading your review I will be personally meeting with him so this doesn't happen again. Sincerely, Aaron Orthmann President Tom Leach Roofing

01/18/2018

Dennis P.

Fabulous !! The job went just like all the reviews state, 5-stars !! Their quality standards are higher than mine; they did a better job than I would do for myself. We live in a 95 year old home, and they fixed things that were poorly constructed when it was built. Juan the forman on the job was extremely conscientious ... Wow !!! I will stop here with compliments ... You get the idea.

Description of Work
New roof, tear off old roof.

08/24/2017

Chris K.

Excellent, they were on time and communicated well.

Description of Work
Had a new roof put on the house, big job, complicated roof.

06/03/2017

Chris W.

Very happy with Tom Leach Roofing. Their estimator was professional and thorough. Their estimate wasn't the lowest of the 5 bids we solicited but wasn't the highest either. They had a cancellation of another job and offered to do our job 4 weeks earlier than originally scheduled which was welcomed. The work crew was courteous and professional. When they discovered that our plywood was in worse condition than originally assumed and had to be replaced entirely they did a good job of showing us what the problem was and explaining the situation. Their workmanship was excellent. They throughly cleaned up the work site when they were done.

Description of Work
Tear off of existing roofing. Install new plywood, underlayment, metal flashing, roof vents and SBS modified asphalt roofing shingles. Removed brick chimney that was used with an oil furnace which is no longer needed.

05/03/2017

Jim W.

Aaron was great to work with. His pricing was competitive with other bids that we obtained and he did everything that was promised. His crew were very professional and well skilled. Our home has a very steep roof and it seemed to be no problem the crew. They finish the tear off and new roof in five days in spite rain. I would recommend Tom Leash Roofing to anyone looking for a quality job.

Description of Work
Roof replacement on my home.

03/20/2017

Amy W.

The process was pretty smooth from start to finish. Due to the rain my project had to be postponed, but they worked with me to still get it done in a timely matter that worked with the rest of my schedule. The crew was very easy to work with, and made sure I was getting the right shingles on my roof. My only complaint is that the nails used were oversized and this directly affected me as I had to remove the extra length for additional work being done on the underside of the roof.

Description of Work
I needed a chimney removed from roof level up and my roof patched.

11/09/2016

JOHN C.

Very professional. Got everything right. They predicted three days of work and finished in two with a large team of obviously experienced people. Office staff, onsite managers, and all workers were very conscientious. They know what they are doing and have no issue with the vagaries of working on a classic old house. They were easily one of the best contracting experiences I have had out of perhaps 15 or 20 significant contractor hires over the years.

Description of Work
A full tear-off and re-roof with premium shingles.

10/05/2016

BARBARA C.

He was very thorough and said that I had another 2-3 years which I thought was very nice because I wouldn't have known if I needed it replaced or not. He was the only one who said that I didn't need to replace it, which shows his honesty. All the other companies were giving me these huge quotes.

Description of Work
I asked him to assess the condition of my roof to see if I needed to replace my roof.

04/04/2016

Marc Z.

I contacted Tom Leach to get an estimate on roof repair work related to a leak I noticed in my roof. Of the 4 contractors I contacted, they were the only ones that responded. The receptionist I spoke with quickly scheduled an appointment with an estimator, who arrived on time 2 days later. The estimator was extremely friendly and professional and took approximately 10 minutes to assess the leak. He then informed me that the leak was caused by a gutter problem rather than a roofing problem, and that this type of repair work was beyond their scope. Although Tom Leach did not actually perform repair work for me, the estimator went to great lengths to show me exactly what was causing the problem, and explained exactly how I should go about repairing the problem with a gutter repair company. The customer service I experienced was exemplary, and I would not hesitate to use Tom Leach when roofing problems arise in the future.

Description of Work
Assessed a leak problem near a roof gutter.

Category gutter repair, roofing

01/16/2016

Leo D.

The crew was extremely fast without any apparent loss of quality to their service. The roof was torn off in one day and replaced the next. Aaron was very good at keeping in touch with me and ensuring I was please. He even walked around the roof with me when finished and pointed out some work I should have done on the chimney. He also provided a reference sheet of people they recommend for said work. The roof looks great and I'm confident it will hold up to the weather for years to come.

Description of Work
Tore off existing roof and replaced with new roof. Installed ten vents where there were none before. Installed new flashing around chimney and vents. Installed replacement vent for furnace.

Category roofing, chimney repair

01/12/2016

DAVID Y.

During the heavy rains before Christmas we noticed a leak apparently around one of the events in our roof. We called Tom Leach roofing who had installed our roof in 1998. A repair person came almost immediately and tried a temporary patch which did not work. Initially he told us he could not come back until the end of January and that the repair would not be under warranty. One phone call to the office quickly corrected that. The owner, who had helped install the original roof, said he would get someone out to repair the roof within a few days and that it would be covered under the roofs original "life of materials" warranty. That is indeed what happened. The warranties issued these days are for a much shorter duration, which was part of the confusion from the first visit. We have used Tom Leach for both warranty and paid roof repair work and find them to be extraordinarily reliable, responsive and customer-focused.

Description of Work
Fixed leak under warranty.