The Wall

Washington
Washington: Business and Professional

11120 NE Marx St

Portland, OR 97220

If you want more than just beauty built into your project, residents have relied on THE WALL® since 1985. We back up every new retaining wall with an exclusive 5-year limited warranty on all materials and workmanship. The Wall will replace or repair free any fault that might occur as a result of failure in materials and craftsmanship. Your new wall is designed for years of enjoyment. Our warranty is designed to protect your investment....

masonry (82)concrete repair (50)hardscaping (42)stone & gravel (18)excavating (11)Patios (10)concrete driveways (10)drain pipe installation (3)stamped concrete (2)lawn & landscaping (16)foundation repair (2)decks & porches (1)

01/04/2019

Susan T.

I had a big project done in Sept 2018 with a new retaining wall and driveway done. I can't say enough good things about the crew that did the work for me. Rick McCutcheon came out several times to review the details of the project and price before getting started, he was sensitive to my needs and my budget. He understood this was a big project and wanted to be sure I was comfortable with the plan, he was great. Dave Stratton was the foreman and was professional all the way & wonderful to work with. Brandon Yetter built a wall that was beautiful and artistic & he was so hard working and Darbonz was in charge of the driveway also extremely hard working and did a beautiful job--there were others on the team as well--everyone professional and considerate. Everyone was easily accessible and my calls were answered promptly. I loved working with all of them & would highly recommend them to do your concrete work, they take pride in what they do and are reasonable priced, a great team of professionals.

Description of Work
retaining wall and driveway

Category concrete repair,concrete driveways,masonry

Work Completed On 09/12/2018

10/02/2018

Tony H.

Excellent! Their helpful scheduler was friendly and efficient in getting an estimator to come out and meet with me. Rick showed up right on time and was extremely helpful in discussing some options. I was most impressed that he also explained that the current wall would be fine if left as is, and that he didn't mislead me or resort to some scare tactics like a few other companies did, just to get a job. Of the options that he recommended, the prices were right in line with today's market, and I am confident that the end result would be everything he said it would. I have seen their crew out working on other projects, and doing a fantastic job. This is how I learned of them. If I later decide to redo the wall, you can be certain they will be my first choice. They truly are exceptional!

Description of Work
I needed an opinion on a current retaining wall

Category masonry,hardscaping

Work Completed On 10/02/2018

08/11/2018

Ramon G.

9 helical piles were installed with one failure due to an underground obstruction. A hammered pile was substituted with success. Jake McCutcheon was in charge of the team and was very good in keeping me informed with all aspects of the project. A soil engineer was also present to monitor the driving of the piles as depth and resistance measurements are key to insure maximum load benefits.

Description of Work
had 9 pipe piles driven 15 feet into the ground to support a large elevated deck

Category decks

Work Completed On 08/08/2018

Review for The Wall - 11120 NE Marx St, Portland, OR - 37314074

07/28/2018

Karen T.

After being impressed by a concrete project in our neighborhood (a driveway and a bit more), we hired The Wall for a large project that entailed replacing several deteriorating areas in our own yard: a lower patio and adjacent retaining wall; our driveway; and a set of stairs connecting the driveway and patio. By and large, The Wall team and the work they did were top notch. We had a skilled, dedicated crew that stayed on our job from start to finish. There were no gaps in the timeline because they had to attend to other clients; our project moved very efficiently and significant progress was made each day. The team was thoughtful, considerate and very careful not to damage our plants or other belongings. The crew’s focus, expertise and collaboration with each other were a joy to watch. As with most projects there were small hiccups along the way but these were relatively few and promptly resolved. The most challenging aspect of our experience: in hindsight, there were design details regarding our stairs that probably could’ve/should’ve been more clearly defined and formally agreed upon (between us and The Wall) - prior to fabrication. And, not fatal but inconsistent with the beautiful work on most of the project: some of the concrete finishing or clean-up wasn’t on par with bulk of the job. Small inconsistently textured areas or little blips of concrete from one pour overlapping seams from a separate pour are two examples. All in all: pretty consistently great end results from a company we’d use again.

Description of Work
Replace deteriorating patio, retaining wall, stairs and driveway

Category concrete repair,concrete driveways,patios

Work Completed On 07/28/2018

06/21/2018

Robin J.

The Wall's in-house crew built a patterned-block retaining wall (with drainage system) and steps in my backyard, and they did an excellent job. Challenges faced (steep driveway and limited work space and staging area) didn't deter. Throughout the project the crew carefully protected structures, such as a deck and fencing, and landscape plantings. When the job was done, they left the job site immaculate. I'm so glad I chose this company. They did beautiful, quality work. They were also very easy to work with and accommodating. Highly recommend!

Description of Work
retaining wall, drain system, steps

Category excavators,masonry,drain pipe,hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/14/2018

03/17/2018

Chris F.

Each step of the way they were ALL open to hearing our ideas and visions and we are very grateful for their experience and craftsmanship. A special thank you to Darbaz, (the cement wizard) for his ability to design and build the new steps and walkway to our front door. He listened to our ideas and made them better. The curb appeal is striking. The new walk and creative mini-wall gives us an entrance that has a graceful elegance and improved ease of access. The patios are properly reinforced and beautifully finished. The masonry retaining wall is gorgeous and because we extended it the length of the yard, we expanded the usable lawn/garden space in our front yard by about 150 square feet. When construction started on the retaining wall on the other side of our property we found that the roots of the 40 year old laurels necessitated the use of a different retaining system, which the crew explained and gave us options and pricing before doing any work. Also, we are glad we followed up on their recommendation to have John’s Waterproofing come and take a look under our house, when we were discussing the management of the runoff on the south side. John's inspection revealed considerable erosion in the crawlspace from years of water intrusion that was weakening our foundation and so we were able to get that corrected. Since the wall and patio work was finished in the winter, we are waiting until later in the spring to finish the landscaping. We plan to update with more "After" photos then.

Description of Work
What started as a request for an estimate to replace a retaining wall that had broken through, grew in size and scope to include: • Doubling the length of the original retaining wall, • Grading and installing a catch basin to help route runoff water from up the hill, • Redo the retaining wall on the opposite of the property, that had also broken through, • Redesigning and replacing the front walk and steps to our house to remove the tripping hazards, • Pouring 2 new patios using the concrete from the old patios in the new retaining walls, • Pouring a connecting walkway from a current walk to one of the patios

Category concrete repair,excavators,masonry,hardscaping,patios

Work Completed On 01/20/2018

Review for The Wall - 11120 NE Marx St, Portland, OR - 36909830

11/02/2017

Carol T.

Great. Kristin and Rick at The Wall got in touch with me immediately and met with me to go over materials and quotes. As soon as we received approval from our HOA they put us on the schedule and completed the project in just a few days. Jake was the project manager and he and his workers were professional and friendly. We love the finished product!

Description of Work
A 3 ft retaining wall and fill soil for our backyard.

Category excavators,landscaping,masonry,pavers, gravel,drain pipe,hardscaping

Work Completed On 09/18/2017

10/16/2017

Bill G.

They never returned any of my calls.

Description of Work
Retaining wall.

Work Completed On 10/16/2017

My apologies [Member Name Removed]. I have looked back through all my notes and have been unable to find any record of you leaving [Member Information Removed] message(s) on our voicemail. I was also unable to locate any correspondence through email or Angie's list. I have no idea how you slipped through the cracks. We pride ourselves and are quite often complimented on how quickly we get back to our customers. I hope you are able to find [Member Information Removed] contractor to fulfill your needs. Again, my sincerest apologies, Kristin

09/19/2017

Jianxun Z.

It went great! We hired many companies to have done various projects, but Chris and his crew are the best we've ever met. They did an amazing job! Chris is professional, knowledgable, easy to communicate. All the suggestions he gave us were just useful and practical. My husband and I are very pleased to have chosen The Wall, and we will definitely to hire them again.

Description of Work
Did a concrete patio.

Category concrete repair,patios

Work Completed On 08/24/2017

08/17/2017

Carla S.

My house is on a very steep hill. The original lower stair case leading to the house was crumbling and falling apart. Th upper stair case was cracked and angled sharply due to a small front porch. Accessing my house was very difficult and becoming dangerous to climb. The house had no road appeal due to the stairs and porch. Chris from The Wall, came up with a new design and dimensions for the lower stair case, the upper stair case, and a larger front porch. He also came up with a plan to build a pathway from a stair case landing around to the side/back of the house. The design and cement/finish work that was done was excellent. Chris took the time to figure out how to build new stairs and a porch so that my stairs and porch not only had appeal but also were of a a design that made accessing the house easy. Chris and his crew also made sure I had a way to access my house while the project was being done. The path was also done so that it had visual appeal with current and future plantings. Chris and his crew worked hard, were polite and friendly, and cleaned up after themselves. Chris and his workers were also very responsive to answer all questions, fix/adjust the dimension of the porch once it was poured, and complete some finishing touches that I requested.

Description of Work
1. Remove, re-design, and replace two concrete exterior front staircases and enlarge a front porch. 2. Create a pathway with pavers and pea gravel from the front of the house to the back of the house.

Category concrete repair,excavators,pavers, gravel,hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/17/2017

08/14/2017

MARY N.

What it was, was in a section of my patio the pavers was starting to become waved. So, they took the pavers out, fixed underground and put the pavers back again. They put the pavers tight enough, they put a metal band around there that wasn't there before. I was out of town; I don't know exactly when they came. It was a little over $5,000. It was not cheap. Around that area, it was a bunch of gravel, and they took all the gravel out too. They did a very good job. My daughter was very happy with their service. They came in they did the job and they were out in three days. They actually came in ahead of time. They were supposed to come in today or yesterday. They did very good work; I'm very happy with the way it looks. My daughter's concern was the fact that they had to come out to see the property and they had to come in at seven o'clock in the morning because my daughter had to get to work. They had no problems with that, and they did it. After that, I don't think she rarely saw them, except when she came home. They were very responsive because I had a couple of questions a couple of times and they answered them as quickly as they could. They were very nice people.

Description of Work
They repaved. They also took gravel out too.

Work Completed On 07/20/2017

08/01/2017

Cullen K.

My results were sub-par, especially when you factor in the high cost. The Wall is not cheap, coming in higher than other retaining wall companies, which in theory means I was supposed to get an above average result. Unfortunately, they did not build the wall to the initial specification (they completed it without a top cap). To their credit, they came back and added a top cap to most of the wall. Unfortunately, the top cap was tacked on poorly - they didn't excavate much dirt, so the top cap was cantilevered over the existing thinner wall, meaning it was easy to break mortar and stones out of the top cap. They also did a poor job mortaring, with lots of extra mortar hanging over the edge, rather than being smoothly formed. They came out a third time to replace some broken/loose stones and to fix the poor mortar job, but they only spot fixed it, leaving me with an ugly backside of the retaining wall. So, if you decide to hire The Wall, realize you need to be very very explicit about what you want up front, using the right terminology (top cap in my case), rather than pointing at a picture in a pamphlet and saying "I want that". All in all, $6k for a smallish poorly built retaining wall using existing rock, without hauling off extra soil, is about $2k more than I should have paid. I've heard good things, maybe I just got a crappy team, I don't know, but just beware your mileage may vary.

Description of Work
I had The Wall come out and rebuild my existing non mortared stone retaining wall, using the existing stone. I was looking for a mortared, structurally sound wall that I could build a fence on top of.

Work Completed On 06/01/2017

Review for The Wall - 11120 NE Marx St, Portland, OR - 35945589

We are very sorry [Member Name Removed] that you aren't satisfied with your project, I know we had a few item's that needed to be taken care of and it was my understanding our crew addressed those issues. It would be my hope that you contact us if you have additional items that needed attention. Thank You, Rick McCutcheon Owner

07/31/2017

Jessica R.

From the moment of contact to sending in the final check...this team couldn't have been easier or more pleasing to work with. Very responsive, friendly and professional. Loved working with them!

Description of Work
Had to repair 50 ft of retaining wall with blocks in our backyard which was shared with two other neighbors.

Work Completed On 06/01/2017

07/01/2017

Dianna E.

Could have done cheaper elsewhere, but very satisfied with their services.

Description of Work
48" retaining wall & concrete patio

Work Completed On 07/01/2017

02/27/2017

Laura G.

I called The Wall based on their Angie's List rating. The rep arrived on time, was neat and courteous. He looked at the work I needed done and said he thought he could complete the repair in one day and the cost would be $1500. He said he would get me a written bid. (Haven't received this yet.) This seemed exorbitant to me, but I'm not a stone mason, and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, so I scheduled two additional bids with equally highly rated Angie's List businesses. They each quoted me less than $100 for the job and said the repair would take about three hours. I hired one of them. I am baffled by how extremely discrepant The Wall's estimate of the time required to perform the work, and concept of fair and customary charges were, when compared to the other two equally competent companies. I can't think of any variable which would explain it. Perhaps it was one of those situations where my repair job was only worth The Wall's while if they charged fifteen times the going rate?

Description of Work
Two lava rocks dropped out of my garden wall, in two different spots, following a period of major rain.

Category masonry,pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 02/22/2017

Review for The Wall - 11120 NE Marx St, Portland, OR - 34531099

01/18/2017

Sarah C.

Fantastic, Chris Calcagno was amazing and I would hire them in a second again because of him and his crew. Punctual, professional, and responsive at every turn. The work turn out AMAZING and I can't wait for spring time to show it off!

Description of Work
Had a large 900sq.ft patio poured in back with stamped concrete, poured walls and steps.

Category concrete repair,stamped concrete,patios

Work Completed On 11/17/2016

Review for The Wall - 11120 NE Marx St, Portland, OR - 34313609

07/21/2016

Jason C.

I thought that he was pretty detailed oriented and seemed like a nice guy. Kim was his name. I think he was the owner. We decided not to go with him just because their quote was too high. He seemed to be very knowledgeable. I had no doubts that if I had given him the job, it would have been done beautifully. If there was any negative feedback, it is just that his costs are quite high but then he is in demand. Quality was N/A because I didn't have him do any work. I would consider using him in future if his prices were better.

Description of Work
He came out and gave an estimate. We were looking to have a stone retaining wall put in and some concrete work done.

Category concrete repair,masonry

Work Completed On 06/13/2016

07/06/2016

Sivboung G.

They we're excellent. They came on time. Did beautiful job and the office staff was excellent, also.

Description of Work
rebuilt a retaining wall that collapsed.

Work Completed On 10/01/2015

05/03/2016

Sivboung G.

It went better that any contracting job I a have ever had. From the paper work at the office, the bidding to the work on the wall. They did a beautifull job in the time-period they said predicted.

Description of Work
They rebuilt a retaining wall in back yard, that was difficult to maneuver.

Work Completed On 11/06/2015

04/27/2016

Colin C.

Though we didn't consider The Wall's estimate for our unattached back yard patio to be unreasonable, my wife and I did ultimately choose another company that was less expensive, as we have other project around our house and yard that need to be done this year, so we needed to watch our budget. But I was very impressed with the helpfulness and professionalism of both Rick and Kristin. We were able to easily schedule an appointment for the estimate, to which Rick arrived on time. The estimate itself was done in a timely manner. And Rick and Kristin quickly responded to the few questions I had for clarification. And Kristin was very gracious when I informed her we'd be going with another company. I would not hesitate to recommend The Wall based on my experience.

Description of Work
Provided an estimate for an unattached patio at my residence, and answered follow-up questions.

Work Completed On 04/22/2016

04/25/2016

Andrea P.

They were amazing, simply amazing. The workmanship is incredible. However, the best part is how professional, open and accommodating they were to my requests to make the wall decoratively unique. They even professionally offered suggestions that enhanced the finished project. I had previously used their services for a project on my prior home and it was an equally wonderful experience.

Description of Work
They installed a decoratively details retaining wall built out of recycled concrete. They also installed a paver patio.

Work Completed On 03/08/2016

04/08/2016

Liane I.

My husband and I spent months looking for an answer to a crack that formed in our sloped yard and was told it could be an issue with our retaining wall. Our main priority is the safety of our children while they play in the yard so we were willing explore every option to remedy this. After calling and having several landscaping companies come out to evaluate the yard/crack- in which case they said we may need a new wall put in, 20k+ in cost), Rick came out and took a look at the yard/wall and told us that everything looked great and that the wall seemed like it was in good condition (no fix or new wall needed). His honest evaluation saved us a potential 20k as we were told previously that our wall (and subsequent yard crack) needed to be quickly addressed. Because of Rick's honesty and professionalism, I know we will definitely use The Wall in the future for any landscaping needs or in the future when we do need a new a retaining wall! Thanks Rick!

Description of Work
Rick from The Wall came to evaluate a potential retaining wall issue in our backyard due to a large crack forming (we live on a slope).

Work Completed On 04/08/2016

02/22/2016

Deanna S.

The gravel was something they let me choose to have done or not. It was no additional cost to me. When they put up the wall and behind the wall they left a little bit of room because I was having a fence put in. So, they did not put the gravel in at that time. It was optional, but I thought it was really nice that they followed-through. I liked everything about them, but they were very professional and positive. The work was just fantastic. I do not know how to express the great job that they did.

Description of Work
I used The Wall. They put up the retaining wall and since then, they have come back and added gravel that was needed.

Category pavers, gravel