RUSSELL CHIMNEY SERVICE INC

Founded 1937 • With Angi since September 2005

9208 NE GLISAN ST

Portland, OR 97220

Additional contact: Dan Hunker.

04/27/2020

David W.

I was very pleased with the work and they were the lowest bidder. My initial bid from another company recommended replacing the entire chimney down to the roof. Russell did the entire repair without that, saving 1/2 of the repair cost.

Description of Work
Tuck and pointing and repair of the chimney cap

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

Thank you, [Member Name Removed]. It is always good to hear when we meet or exceed customer's expectations. Thank you also for your persistence when the email didn't go through. It has been a pleasure working with you.

10/22/2019

Richard O.

Very well. It did not need cleaning. Checked to make sure all was in working order. Liked the fact that if it didn't need cleaning they would say so and be honest. They were. Would hire them again.

Description of Work
Check wood burning fireplace for cleaning, etc.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Thank you. I will pass this on to our Associates who met with you. Your satisfaction is of utmost importance to us, and we are pleased to know we met your expectations.

06/23/2018

shawn H.

Job was well done, very happy with the work. However, any job can stand better communication. Tuck pointing apparently requires power-grinding and is very messy. This was not conveyed up front that anything sensitive nearby should be moved or protected and my new car (which I agree I should have moved had I read the work order again the night before ) was within 30' and got fine ash debris on it even though they covered it. I was a little upset, but ultimately everything was fine. I'd recommend these folks simply for their honesty. When they bid the job they were straightforward, did not push unnecessary extra work. Most other bidders pushed for additional work I did not ask for or truly did not need. Being an architect I knew the scope necessary. They did what I asked and even re-shuffled their schedule to get the work done before our vacation. Even though we had the one hiccup I would highly recommend them. Next time I would make sure to talk thru the project w/ the on-site foreman the day before to understand all things involved.

Description of Work
Tuck point joints, replace counterflashing, add rain cap, repair firebox.

01/17/2018

Carolyn G.

The repair went well. The cleaning out was a little messy, but the men attempted to clean up the soot.

Description of Work
Cleaning out and repairing furnace chimney

12/14/2017

Sarah S.

Chimney cleaning went great. Professional and friendly cleaners. While on the roof, they also measured for the chimney cap and said they'd get back to me with a price. They couldn't take my card on the spot and asked that I call in to pay. It took me 3 or 4 calls to get someone to answer to take my card, despite several messages left at various times of day over two or three weeks. As for the chimney cap, after 7 or 8 phone more followups by me, no returned calls, no quote, no luck. The few times I did get someone on the phone, the office person would say she'd call back the next day with the information, but here I am. So now, in the middle of fireplace season, I have to call someone else out to measure it again. I would have gladly used them for the install if they'd ever called me back, but they are extremely disorganized and I would not recommend working with them.

Description of Work
Chimney Cleaning and Measure/Install Chimney Cap

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, fireplaces

11/28/2017

dar P.

As far as I could tell the work was completed in a satisfactory manner. There was long wait for services which might be due to my timing.

Description of Work
Chimney needed rebuilding and sealing.

Category chimney repair, fireplaces

11/01/2017

Daniel A.

well, and he cleaned up meticulously afterward

Description of Work
chimneys cleaned

10/23/2017

Shirley S.

Perfect. They were punctual, professional and did a great job. They also left everything spotless.

Description of Work
Two fireplaces and chimney needed to be cleaned.

09/01/2017

Beverly C.

They were fine. For quality, I don’t know. I didn’t go up and look. I got four bids, they were the least expensive and they were referred to me by my neighbor. They were fine with responsiveness. I have no complaints. I would recommend them.

Description of Work
Chimney repair.

06/27/2017

Rick L.

I'd give them an A. They did an excellent job. They were timely and they came when they said they would. I'd give them A across the board. It's a locally owned, family owned company. They did an excellent job. I think it took a couple of hours to complete the service.

Description of Work
They sealed the chimney.

05/25/2017

Todd G.

If you like being ignored for prolonged amounts of time then it went great. On the other hand, if you do not like being ignored for prolonged amounts of time then it wasn't a pretty sight at all. You will search for a very long time before you successfully find a less responsive company than Russell Chimney. Fortunately, if you call Russell Chimney first, you'll have all the time in the world to conduct that search. Their return call is a call that will never come. I first emailed pictures of the chimney damage to Russell Chimney on May 2, 20017. A week passed with no word so I called again to make sure they got the pics and to learn what they thought. I was told Dan (Hunker) hadn't looked at the pictures yet but was also told by his wife, Cheryl, that he would - soon - he was just busy. That's fine; I get that and I wasn't in a huge rush. But there's a point of absurdity that eventually gets crossed as it did with these guys. Read on. After two weeks passed with no word, I called again. This time Cheryl told me that Dan wasn't there, he still hadn't looked at the 3 photographs I'd sent on May 2nd but, and I quote, "let me see if I can get a hold of him and have him call you right back." That was encouraging. It's now been another 10 days since that phone conversation and neither Dan Hunker nor his wife Cheryl have called "right back" and obviously no one else representing Russell Chimney has tried to contact me either. Enter the point of absurdity. Now different folks enter the point of absurdity at different times. If you're in a different boat than me and actually like to sit around for a month wondering whether the work will even get scheduled, let alone get done, then this the company for you. I am not in that boat. I am in the good ship Absurdity and have chosen to abandon ship before I get scurvy. The take-away is this: If you ARE interested in having your chimney work done - heck, even scheduled - before you're really old, senile and can no longer remember what a chimney does or why it even needed repair in the first place, then you're not suited to be a Russell Chimney customer.

Description of Work
I had a chimney pot (the terracotta piece that sticks out the top of the chimney) damaged by a flailing tree branch in a Portland windstorm last March-April (I don't know when the damage actually occurred, I just noticed it in April when I happened to look up at the top of the chimney). The chimney pot itself was not damaged but it needed to be righted and made secure. The repair estimate from my homeowner's policy adjuster was under my deductible so I called Russell Chimney on my own. I then grew old waiting for a response, gave up and called somebody else who I wish I'd called in the first place.

04/13/2017

Carol M.

very well; on time, excellent job, left the living room clean after the chimney sweep

Description of Work
annual chimney cleaning

04/13/2017

Carol M.

great job, courteous; no spots left in the room!

Description of Work
chimney cleaning

03/13/2017

sharon T.

Everything went well. We were happy with the results.

Description of Work
We needed the chimney cleaned and repaired.

02/27/2017

Cheryl C.

Super! Very honest and helpful we will hire next time.

Description of Work
He came over to fix my fireplace flew. He let me know it was not broken, just jammed. He fixed it for free!!

Category fireplaces

Thank you. I am glad we were able to help you.

02/08/2017

John M.

These are great people to work with! They did a great job quickly while keeping the house clean. When they thought they might be late, I received a call more than an hour ahead of time to let me know. I appreciated the heads-up and they arrived at the scheduled time. They gave me good information reagarding the use and maintenance of my wood stove.

Description of Work
Chimney cleaning and inspection.

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair

Thank you. It has been a pleasure providing service for you.

10/17/2016

Birgit H.

Awesome! Great, reliable, friendly company. Have been using them for years. No gimmicks, no hidden expenses, no bad work results ever. Never been disappointed!

Description of Work
Fireplace cleaning.

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

01/07/2016

Sarah L.

I hired them in June of 2015 to retuckpoint and cap the chimney. Work has not been preformed yet. I contacted them in October they promised to be out in a week. In November they told me the same thing. In December they gave me a start date/time but never showed up.

Description of Work
I hired this company to retuckpoint my chimney.

07/14/2015

deborah M.

While the temperatures hovered around 100 the crew worked on scaffolding grinding out and repairing my chimney mortar from top to bottom. The site was kept clean,they carefully covered my windows and cleaned up after the job completion. Cheryl in the office was a joy to work with, answering my innumerable questions. Very, very positive experience.

Description of Work
Chimney repair

Category chimney repair

Thank you for the glowing (no pun with the weather intended) review and taking the time to post it. It is nice to know we met or exceeded your expectations. It has been a pleasure serving you.

05/05/2015

Ann G.

From making the appointment on line to having all tools and equipment neatly and quickly removed at the end, the whole process went easily and smoothly. While the chimney and wood stove were being cleaned, the chimney inspector arrived and did his job. I really appreciated the good information we were given on our particular stove, and on using the stove effectively and efficiently. I learned a lot! I especially appreciated the honesty of the inspector and the cleaner about not needing to purchase a chimney liner, which we had been previously told we really needed. That would have been about $1220-$1300. I will definitely follow the advice given and will surely call this company again when it's time to clean the chimney.

Description of Work
Cleaned the wood stove chimney and inspected the stove and chimney. Checked condition of the chimney and liner. We asked if we needed to buy a chimney liner, and were given good information that we did not need to. We also asked to purchase and have installed a chimney cap, which we knew we wanted.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

Thank you, (removed member name). It was a pleasure working with you. Cheryl

02/23/2015

Kelly G.

The service was good. They were quick to schedule the cleaning. They were nice and it was easy to have them in the house. They did offer additional services but it was not a high pressure sale. They did a great job cleaning after they completed the job.

Description of Work
They cleaned the chimney.

12/30/2014

Michelle S.

They arrived on time and inspected the chimney cap as well as the chimney. It was decided to fix and use the old chimney cap as it was custom made. We appreciated their input on our chimney condition and the possible future chimney needs if we decide to ever sell the house.

Description of Work
Replace old chimney cap

11/24/2014

Ben S.

Russel Chimney was very easy to work with and cheaper than the other company I got a quote from. The first company that came out gave me a quote that was much higher because (I think) he didn't realize that one of the chimney's on my roof isn't in use anymore. Russel Chimney specifically asked me about that chimney and we went down in to the basement to make sure it wasn't in use. If I had gone with the first company I would have probably ended up paying for unnecessary work. Russel was also flexible in terms of scheduling the work inside the house when it was convenient for me and it was nice to be able to do a lot of the communication via email since that's easier for when I'm at work.

Description of Work
Chimney and fireplace repairs including a new damper.

Category chimney repair, fireplaces

06/17/2014

Marna L. M.

They were wonderful. They were reliable and responsive to the problems that we had. They explained things in detail and had a lot of integrity. My husband and I were both very pleased. I would recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
The capped two chimneys and repointed them as well.

06/17/2014

Lisa W.

They arrived right on time and they were careful to keep things tidy. The employee told me that next time I could go a little longer before having the chimney cleaned, which is good information for me and I know they're not taking advantage of me. We also used them when we moved into our house 6 years ago for some mortar repairs and a custom chimney cap. The chimney cap is very sturdy!

Description of Work
Cleaned fireplace and flue

Euro Masonry LLC

Euro Masonry LLC is a company backed by 10+ years experience. We offer competitive rates and have very excellent references with very satisfied customers. Free estimates. Our work is always high quality, clean, and done in a timely manner. Additional contact name - Kiana Karlovic. Award winning. Additional phone number - (503) 333-0133.

Rose City Concrete LLC

With over 30 years of experience the industry, we are the experts you need to take care of your home or business. We handle everything regarding your concrete needs. We will treat your home as we would treat our own. Give Rose City Concrete, LLC a call today, we look forward to working with you!

Yee's Construction LLC

Residential General Contractor and Residential concrete. I have several sub contractors I've worked alongside with for 10+ years. I have 10 years of experience in residential Concrete from setting up new home construction as well as tearing out existing concrete. Extensive knowledge in city codes. Setting up wheelchair corners as per city codes. Sidewalk repairs, patios, driveways, porches, garages, and basements. Concrete Pressure washing, acid washing, and sealing.

62064
    Oregon
    Construction Contractor's Board
    10/14/2017
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover

REPAIR OF MASONRY CHIMNEYS, TUCKPOINTING, COUNTER FLASHING, WATER SEALING, AND DAMPER INSTALLATION, INSTALLATION OF FLUE LINERS, INSTALLATION OF CHIMNEY RAIN AND WIND COVERS FOR ALL TYPES OF CHIMNEY STRUCTURES, CLEANING/SWEEPING OF FIREPLACE, WOODSTOVE, FURNACE CHIMNEYS.

NEW CONSTRUCTION, COMPLETE TEAR DOWN TO GROUND AND REBUILD, REPAIR OR INSTALLATION PIPE CHIMNEY SYSTEMS, INSTALLATION OF WOOD OR GAS BURNING STOVES.