PETER'S AUTO WORKS

Founded 1981 • With Angi since June 2006

15787 SW 72ND AVE

Portland, OR 97224

Peter's specializes in Volvo automobile repair and service. For over 30 years, we've taken pride in providing the quality of technical and personal service that you would expect from the best Volvo dealerships. Meanwhile, as an independent garage servicing Volvos exclusively, we've also grown to know and understand Volvo owners ...and the way they feel about their cars... on a more individual basis than most dealerships can take the time to do. We recognize that Volvos are special cars, and their owners are special too. We're committed to providing the personal and professional car care that you and your Volvo deserve....

09/14/2017

RUTH S.

I have been using them for about 27 years and they are phenomenal. They are trustworthy, knowledgeable, and caring.

Description of Work
They tried detecting a noise that my vehicle was making and also changed the oil.

08/29/2016

mark H.

Description of Work
not cheap but excellent work

04/22/2016

Steven G.

Description of Work
Evaluated a car that we wanted to purchase. They were quite responsive and even called to save us money!

12/18/2014

Franklin W.

Description of Work
Performed various maintenance that was needed because dealer we bought car from did not have service records.

08/15/2014

Vicky / Bob B.

It is always excellent. He is fairly priced and very professional. I cannot say anything bad about them.

Description of Work
Oil Change and check up

05/02/2014

Elisabeth A.

My 2007 Volvo has been making an odd sound for about the last 80,000 miles. The Volvo dealer where I purchased the car was uninterested in the problem while the car was on warranty (Fisher) but once it was off warranty suggested I do thousands of dollars of work to determine the source of the noise. At that point it had been making the noise for 30,000 miles and I decided I wouldn't be any further ahead to spend a lot of money with such an open ended service plan. I quit using Fisher and went to a local garage for oil changes and minor work. The local auto service provider was also mystified by the knock but the car kept running and I kept bringing it in every 5000 miles for oil and a check up. At 120000 miles I decided to see if someone could tell me whether to fix the car or trade in before something significant happened. Peter's was recommended to me by my boss who's used them for their Volvo for over a decade and over 300,000 miles. They were very helpful, even giving me a ride to a place I needed to be during the time the car was being checked. When I returned the Service Manager was on the phone for an extensive conversation with someone at Volvo. He explained that they would be unable to diagnose the problem without extensive work and i might be better off to trade it in than spend thousands trying to fix it at this point since I've been driving it for seven years and not having to spend much money on maintenance. Also they told me that although I'd been careful to use synthetic oil, there were some brands that worked better for Volvos. Too bad Fisher never bothered to mention that! Needless to say I am not a fan of Fisher's Service department! Although they spent well over an hour of the technician's time and about 30 minutes by the Service Manager the charge was less than $29! I was amazed at the reasonable charge and very much appreciated their honesty. Although they would have made money by trying to fix the car, they suggested this might not be the best approach for a car this old with this many miles. They also referred me to a source of other Volvo's (not Fisher) if I wanted to buy another one. If I do get another Volvo, I will certainly have Peter's Auto Works take care of it.

Description of Work
Checked car to determine source of "knocking" sound at certain RPM

09/24/2013

Mark R.

The quality of the work was very high, but I got the impression they were trying to find every possible thing that might need work in order to maximize their income. I would have appreciated them clearly defining what was required for a safe vehicle vs. what would be nice to have for a pristine used vehicle

Description of Work
Service on aging Volvo wagon

09/13/2013

Marci G.

I called Peter's to ask for an air conditioner shop recommendation that could recharge my unit and they told me that they could do it there. I was only five minutes away from the shop and asked if I could bring it in. They said yes, they could fit it in between the other jobs they were working on. I told them that I only had an hour to spend there and they said that would be enough time. I drove the car there and they immediately started to work on it, checked the systems and adding freon. I was on my way in less than an hour. Great service, great staff! I should add that I have been of customer of Peter's for the past three years and all of the work that they have done on my 1996 Volvo 850R has been excellent. I highly recommend them and will continue to take my car there for repairs and maintenance.

Description of Work
Recharged my air conditioning unit.

Category auto repair

Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us feedback! We truly appreciate your business and continued patronage over the years and we look forward to our next opportunity to provide the care your Volvo deserves!

03/04/2013

Madeline O.

I have been having my car serviced by Peter's since the late 1990's. This service they promptly scheduled my oil change to meet my schedule and called me regarding the temperature gage and fixed it as I directed. The car was ready when I needed it and the cost was as I expected.

Description of Work
Oil Change and two soon to be necessary services - temperature gage replacement and one other I don't remember.

Category auto repair

Thank you [member name removed] for letting us know how we are doing. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback.

01/07/2013

JEFF P.

We've used Peter's Auto Works for the better part of 15 years. We've routinely taken two Volvos and even a BMW for service at Peter's. They even helped us find a buyer for our old Volvo when we were ready to purchase a newer one. I don't recall ever being disappointed in the service or professionalism of the staff. Wonderful group of people and I would highly recommend them. I will be taking our BMW in for brake replacement shortly, without any hesitation.

Description of Work
Various repairs to two Volvos and a BMW we've owned.

Category auto repair

Thank you (member name removed) for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We greatly appreciate you and your business.

11/20/2012

Lois W. W.

Overall their services are great.

Description of Work
I sued their services for general maintenance.

Category auto repair

Thank you for the feed back we greatly appreciate it.

12/29/2011

Ingrid H.

I found them through different source. They seemed very knowledgeable about all those, which is a difficult car to find servicing for. You have to usually go to a Volvo dealer or Volvo specific mechanic to get a good service; you cannot just use a general mechanic for Volvo. I have tried other auto works also. They are quick and have good general service, but when they put in a new alternator, they are left in a bolt off. I would not recommend taking my car there. They have a loaner car that they lent me, that is nice. They are pretty fine with everything and try to communicate well, that’s good. I would use their services in the future.

Description of Work
I used the services of Peter’s Auto Works. I just recently dropped my car off but I have used them during the year. They did a bunch of different maintenance stuff. They did change the battery and general Volvo servicing.

Category auto repair

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to share them with everyone.

08/21/2011

JUAN M.

Great job, on time.

Description of Work
purchased a used volvo that had a few problems. They did all repairs on time. Actually picked up the car from beaverton where it was getting detailed and bought it back the next day. Nice job, on time. Had a check engine light come on a week later, they checked it out for free.

Category auto repair

Thank You For Your Comments. We want to thank you for taking the time to share your visit with us.

06/26/2011

becca A.

See abnove

Description of Work
I have used Peters Auto for years. Perer sold the business and it went to h*** in a hand basket. I took my car into them the summer of 2010. They diagnosed one thing and it was fixed. It was one thing after another...major repairs, having to be towed twice, misdiagnoses of problems, faulty work requiring them to keep my car for weeks off and on. I ended up paying 4000.00 for all the repairs. They even discounted some of the last repair because they knew they had misdiagnosed and repaired something that didn't need it. I would never go back to them again. Services included replacement of fuel pump, throttle, expansion tank, replacements of clamps, gaskets, brakes,radiator.

Category auto repair, radiator service

On June 9, 2010 the customer brought her car in for an oil change and noted the brake light was on. A vehicle inspection revealed that the front brakes were worn to nothing, or 'metal to metal' and that the radiator was leaking. Customer declined the radiator replacement but authorized front brake and rotor replacement. We did the brakes and the subsequent road test revealed a slight pulsation from the rear rotors though the pads themselves were at 50%. Customer returned to have the radiator replaced on 6/18/2010 and requested payments be allowed to satisfy the expense. As a long standing customer, the request was granted though it is not our normal practice. On 7/6/2010 the rear rotors were replaced as the pulsation had worsened and she had noted that the low coolant light was coming on. The coolant reservoir and lower reservoir hose were noted as leaking and were replaced at that time. The car was left overnight at this visit and moving the car the following morning, the technician noted an exhaust manifold leak which was reported and subsequently authorized and repaired. This type of leak is difficult to hear when the engine is warm, as the metal expands when hot and consequently 'seals" the leak temporarily. Conversely when cold the metal contracts thereby making a leak notable. On 7/19/2010, the car returned not running. We checked fault codes and found the car's throttle body had failed. This too was reported, authorized and repaired. Finally, the car returned again, not running on 8/02/2010. Diagnose revealed no fuel pressure and the fuel pump was replaced. At this time, having felt sympathy for the customer's ongoing problems with her car and having worked with her personally for nearly 10 years, I asked management if we could give her a discount due to the inordinate amount of repairs her car required over such a short period of time. They reluctantly agreed, noting though sympathetic, her car's troubles were not in any way the fault of the shop. Furthermore, we granted her payments terms again, out of sympathy and did not receive full payment until 5/11/2011. Details not withstanding, we are simply saddened that her perception is that we did something wrong, when to the contrary, we went above and beyond both personally and professionally.

10/28/2008

JANE W.

The check engine light turned out to be due to two items, one costing a few hundred to fix, and the other $800. They recommended deferring on the $800 item, so we did. They also changed the oil. They honored the 30% coupon, so I thought the price was very reasonable, and as far as I can tell, the work they did was good.

Description of Work
Peter's Auto Works, which specializes in Volvo's, has long been a fixture on the Lake Oswego-Tigard-Tualatin scene. I knew Peter slightly, with his Scandinavian looks and distinctive white hair, when he was a Lake Oswego volunteer soccer coach. I own a 12-year old Volvo that rarely needs work, but we got a 30% off coupon from Peter's, so used them when the "check engine" light came on. It turns out that Peter has retired and the business is under new ownership, so I was interested in how well they would do.

Category auto repair

Sorry it took us so long to Thank You For Your Comments and valued thoughts. We just recently joined Angie's List and we are trying to acknowledge everyone who has Taking the time to comment.

12/14/2006

MICHAEL T.

Peter is a member of the community, and we always trusted his work. The shop is spotless, and the service friendly and efficient. These guys know their Volvos! My only complaint is that I think they tend to recommend complete replacements of parts when a less-expensive repair could have done the trick. For example, my exhaust system was making some noise. Peter's recommended replacing the header pipe at a cost of $482, as well as a new catalytic converter at $299. I found a muffler shop, Barker Muffler, through Angie's List. Barker removed shields and welded some exhaust pipe breaks for $70. That made me suspect that Peter's service is a bit ''gold-plated.'' However, don't get me wrong: Peter's provides trustworthy, reliable service. It just probably makes sense to get second opinions on some recommended repairs. Peter's always did provide options, and we always kept a running tally of repairs that could be made at a later date, when our budget would allow.

Description of Work
We took our Volvos to Peter's Auto Works for years. They did everything you could have done on a Volvo.

Category auto repair

Thank you for your comments. At the time of your service Peter was still the owner of Peters Auto Works, But we still run the business the same as he did by doing quality repairs at fair pricing. Sorry it took so long to acknowledge your comments. We just recently joined Angie's List and are responding to all comments. Peter retired on May 1st 2007.

06/29/2006

KATHERIN P.

The oil change was about $60. They had excellent service.

Description of Work
They did regular work on my Volvo.

Category auto repair

Thank you for your comments. At the time of your service Peter was still the owner of Peters Auto Works. But we still run the business the same as he did by doing quality repairs at fair pricing. Sorry it took so long to acknowledge your comments.We just recently joined Angie's List and are responding to all comments. Peter retired on May1st 2007.

Aatco Transmission & Transaxle

Tim's AATCO Transmission & Transaxle is a transmission repair shop in Beaverton, Oregon. Tim from AATCO would like to thank you for checking out our company. We've been serving the area for over 20 years and most of our client base is made of referrals and return customers. Our mechanics specialize in automatic and manual transmissions and transfer cases. We also repair or replace clutches, u-joints and drive axles. Our shop is spread out over about 8,500 sq. ft. with over 100 re-built transmissions in stock! We can also take care of your transfer case and differential maintenance. We service all makes and models of cars, trucks, RV's and 4x4s. We specialize in: Inspections and analysis, Calibrations, Drivability evaluations, Rebuilding, Reconditioning, Scheduled maintenance, Towing We are committed to providing you with excellent services, and we take our clients' opinion to heart when we perform our repairs. In fact, our customers have given great feedback to us, which has helped us develop our auto repair services over the years. We are members of the Better Business Bureau and the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association. Our technicians are ASE certified. Ask about our nationwide warranties. Call AATCO Transmission & Transaxle today for a phone quote or to discuss your auto repair needs!

GRIMMS SERVICE

Family owned and opperated business that believes in honest relationships with our customers.

Auto Service
    Auto Radiators
    Auto Inspections
    Auto Tires
    Auto Mufflers

We provide factory schedule maintenance services, brakes, belts, hoses,suspension work, tires, alignment, diagnostics, engine repair, or replacement if necessary, transmission replacement, we sublet out detail work or body work.

engine overhaul,transmission overhaul