NW Seismic

Oregon Construction Contractors Board
05/01/2021

1230 NE 63rd Ave

Portland, OR 97213

We will sanitize the workspace and all areas touched

We are a family-owned business whose mission is to create a more seismically prepared Portland. In designing and implementing a retrofit plan tailored specifically to our client's homes, we hope to shorten the recovery time for Portland after the next Cascadia subduction earthquake. Our work is calculated to strengthen homes to a degree in which homeowners can shelter in place after a moderate-to-high seismic event....

earthquake retrofitting (99)foundation repair (34)drywall (4)gas leak repair (1)window replacement (1)plumbers (1)plastering (1)egress window (1)

04/02/2021

David G.

Excellent. Can't recommend NW Seismic enough! They were timely, clean, and kept me in the loop of what they were doing. The permitting process was seamless and they provided a set of pictures for my records. Great company from top to bottom.

Description of Work
I needed the house to be tied to the foundation and a gas shut-off valve in case of an earthquake.

Work Completed On 03/10/2021

12/15/2020

Paul C.

Tim and his crew were upfront and communicative throughout the entire process. They did a really good job of explaining what to expect and how it would go. The onsite project manager was great in his communication. Kept me up to date. And the crew was fantastic, especially the crew lead, who was very thorough in setting up plastic to protect the space, and did an amazing job. He clearly takes pride in his work, which I always appreciate. They were also consistent about following COVID-19 prevention measures, which is a top consideration for me these days. We had to have old wood paneling removed, and the crew was able to re-install it, which was not part of the original contract. They did a fantastic job, and I'm really happy with the result

Description of Work
We used NW Seismic to install an egress window in our basement, as well as replace our four other basement windows, which were old, starting to rot, only single pane glass, and had to be taped up to keep cold air from coming in during the winter (not to mention toxic smoke this past September).

Category egress windows,replacement windows

Work Completed On 11/23/2020

Review for NW Seismic - 1230 NE 63rd Ave, Portland, OR - 39085595

09/11/2020

Greg L.

I like working with people who are frank. "This is going to be really loud." And it was! But now we feel more comfortable that we had a top-notch company retrofit the house. They were very professional and when they left, the basement was cleaner than when they came.

Description of Work
Earthquake retrofitting

Work Completed On 09/11/2020

11/21/2019

Claude S.

Needless to say, this was a huge job (6+ weeks). Given how much can go wrong with something at this scale, it went remarkably well. We were able to use our house 100% the entire time. They worked from precise engineering drawings and specs using a top notch engineering firm, and also adapted to the inevitable unexpected. There were some minor change orders that upped the price a little, but all reasonable. They built the footers, rebar, blocking, and other reinforcement to a very high standard - well beyond what would otherwise pass as a foundation build. A few minor negatives, but nothing that would stop me from hiring them. Communication prior to the job start was not good. As for the quote, don't expect detailed line items and descriptions about what is and isn't included. But they are honest and straightforward, so in a sense, this can work just fine if you're comfortable without documentation and can roll with some on-the-fly decisions. Big jobs on old homes inevitably require this. Also, I don't know that I would have them do extensive finish work, especially if you need much of your basement interior restored after the work. The restoration of some electrical (ceiling lights, circuits) and basement sink was kind of sloppy. My sink is still out of level. But as for replacing a foundation and reinforcement, they really know what they are doing. The other items are minor.

Description of Work
complete foundation replacement - replaced basement windows and exterior door

Category foundation repair,earthquake retrofitting

Work Completed On 11/01/2019

05/17/2019

Judith L.

We are really grateful to have found this company at a disaster prep fair in Multnomah Village. Tim Cook is very knowledgeable, not loathe to explain what can and can't be known (perfect sign of a real pro!). Sarah Turner in the office is unfailingly pleasant, efficient and responsive. The gentlemen who did the work in the crawl space arrived exactly when they said they would and were meticulous workmen - including in preventing any mess and caring for our home. (Seriously - the hallway they traversed may have been cleaner after they left!) Joe, who installed a gas meter shut-off was terrific - on-time, thorough, careful. Lots of integrity in this company.

Description of Work
Seismic retrofitting of crawl space and shut-off valve installed on gas meter.

Work Completed On 04/15/2019

03/06/2019

Elisabeth F.

My sister had used NW Seismic for her retrofit some years ago. When I finally got around to looking for estimates, I really appreciated their online scheduling. Even better, when I finally had the money almost a year later, the prices had not changed. I was worried about scheduling, because the workers would need access to various parts of the house which would make it difficult to keep our dogs out of their way. However, someone came to my house to look at options and help me figure out something that would work. They got us on the calendar at our convenience. When the workers came, they were prompt and efficient; even the inspection went by in a blink. All my emails and questions were answered quickly and pleasantly. Overall I'm very happy with the work done, and how quickly and painlessly it was done.

Description of Work
Bolted 1 story 1300sqft house to foundation and slab for earthquake resistance

Work Completed On 03/05/2019

11/02/2018

Geoff P.

The estimator, Tim, showed up on time and was very professional. He explained in detail what work he would recommend and what was unnecessary (e.g. our 1998 addition did not require retrofitting). When the work began, Jose and Genaro showed up on time and worked diligently to complete the work. All of the hardware and the gas valve were installed the first day and the next day was dedicated to repairing drywall cuts in our basement. The project manager, Sarah, stopped by to check out the progress. The crew did a wonderful job and even repaired some other drywall damage and re-secured our water heater free of charge! And the work areas were spotless when they left. Highly recommended!

Description of Work
We wanted our 1940s house seismically retrofitted to better withstand an earthquake. We also wanted an automatic gas shutoff valve installed.

Work Completed On 10/08/2018

10/15/2018

John W.

A very professional contractor. All planning and work was clearly defined, and notices and follow-ups were timely and accurate. Fair pricing, no surprises. I can't think of a single negative.

Description of Work
seismic retrofitting of foundation and sheer wall

Work Completed On 09/26/2018

07/09/2018

Sally L.

The project went smoothly, and all the personnel we dealt with seemed like wonderful people. The quality of the work was excellent.

Description of Work
Seismic retrofitting on a finished basement, plus installation of a earthquake cut-off valve for the natural gas line.

Work Completed On 05/07/2018

05/20/2018

Amber B.

Our home was built in 1930 and has required a lot of attention over the years. This company, by far, was one of the easiest and most professional experiences we have had. They came out the day after I called for the estimate. Our estimate was exact (that never happens nor do I expect it anymore) and the team arrived at the exact time they said they would. The job was completed on time and they were very respectful of our home. The inspection occurred the next day. I expected more of a mess but they cleaned up well! I strongly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Seismic Retrofit and Gas Shutoff Valve placement

Work Completed On 05/14/2018

Review for NW Seismic - 1230 NE 63rd Ave, Portland, OR - 37083558

Seismic retrofitting (AKA earthquake retrofitting, house bolting, foundation strapping), foundation repair/replacement, water heater restraints, and earthquake-activated gas shut-off valves.

We do not skim coat poor quality concrete in order to improve its appearance.

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Financing Available, Check