Fred's Sound of Music Audio Video Inc

Founded 1948 • With Angi since September 2005

3760 SE Hawthorne Blvd

Portland, OR 97214

Additional DBAs - Hawthorne Audio Exchange, Speakers Etc, Audio Video by Design....

01/21/2015

NANCY C.

Description of Work
Set up and programmed a stereo system. Left me a nice little cheat sheet to use until I learn how to operate it!

10/21/2013

Carl Y.

They were courteous, professional and knowledgeable. They did what they said they would and finished earlier than expected at the cost we discussed. Good value. In addition, I was given several resources to locate hard-to-find pieces that were missing.

Description of Work
Restored two pieces of stereo equipment.

Category home theater design,computer repair

10/20/2013

Tim T.

Outstanding particularly in terms of quickly diagnosing problem and working with manufacturer to get appropriate speakers. They now sound like new.

Description of Work
Restored 20+ year old Thiel speakers

09/16/2013

SYLVIA A.

We had a broken amp and malfunctioning CD player. Thought they might be fixable. We checked Angie's List and got Fred's and one other recommendation. Called both, can't remember what happened w the other one, but the guy at Fred's said probably in our interest to replace both, rather than spend the money to try repairing them. Months later we went to Fred's to buy new equipmt, plus our speakers were over 40 years old! so we decided to replace them too. Bill White at Fred's was a jewel. Friendly, professional, helpful, willing to take enough time, and able to explain things clearly to people like us who were obviously clueless. Yet without being condescending. NO sales pressure whatsoever--none--completely, cleanly hands-off--even suggested we go for coffee and think about it on our own before deciding whether to buy. Once we bought the items, he assured us we could call him if any questions etc. We also could have had one of their people (for an additional fee) come out and set the equipmt up for us, but we ended up not needing that.

Description of Work
We bought a pair of speakers, an amp, and a CD player from them.

09/10/2013

Michael B.

These guys are just the best. From Bill White, the manager or service manager, to the technicians (Dave is outstanding), I can't imagine a better customer experince. They are skilled, fast, thorough, of high quality, and polite. They fixed broken components, istalled new items, fixed various unrelated things with a smile. Highly recommended!

Description of Work
Installed universal remote, fixed network, set up separate tv, installed digital amp and blue ray on surround sound base. Adjusted for perfect sound!

08/17/2013

Michael B.

These guys are just great. The attention, service attitude and technical knowledge are just remarkable. I have not used other companies for high end installation so I can't compare, but I cannot imagine better personal care and service than I have received from Fred's. They have built a loyal customer in me. From Dave the technician to personal calls from Bill the store manager, these guys are just great.

Description of Work
I bought a house with a six year old, complex, high end audio and video set-up. It did not work fully and was confusing. Dave from service came out and got us going, added Sonos for the music, and figured out this comlex house set-up, while suggesting possible upgrades for consideration.

05/24/2013

Andrea L.

This is the second time I've had Fred's complete work in my home. They are always quick to complete the job and take time to answer any questions I have about our system. Thank you!

Description of Work
Repaired networking issues

Category computer repair

05/07/2013

Andrea L.

Easy to work with. Answered my questions to help me better understand how my network's setup and resolved my issues.

Description of Work
Home network stopped working.

11/26/2012

Andrew M.

I took a turntable to be repaired and basically I walked in, dropped it off and it was really easy. They knew the problem right away. It just needed a new part. It was not expensive and it was a pretty quick turnaround so overall, it was a positive experience. The people who worked there were great.

Description of Work
We have used Fred's Sound of Music Audio Video Incorporated for stereo repair.

11/07/2011

PAULA C.

It went great! They told me I didn't need a new component and sent me home!

Description of Work
I brought in my old DVD player, which had quit on me, to be recycled, planning to buy a new one. The young salesman told me he was just going to check out the old one first. He dusted it off, connected it up, and lo and behold it worked. He wrapped it up and told me I didn't need a new one and if I had any more problems to call and they would try to help me with them. All this for nothing! I know darn well I would not have gotten this level of service at any of the big chains. I am totally impressed with this store and believe me when I really do need a new DVD player, this is where I'm going to buy it!

11/12/2007

JON H.

They came highly recommended and I would use them again.

Description of Work
They repaired a stereo receiver that was very old and valuable. No other companies could fix it. They immediately diagnosed the issue. They were extremely proficient in their repairs. They have very knowledgeable sales people.

10/16/2006

REVA B.

They checked in a couple of times before doing work that we might not have wanted. They seem very honest, knowledgeable and reasonably priced.

Description of Work
Repaired an old Dual turntable (is "old" and "turntable" redundant?).

09/30/2005

CAROL H.

EVERYONE ON THE TEAM FROM THE SALES STAFF TO THE INSTALLERS WERE VERY PROFESSIONAL. ALSO, FRED'S SOUND OF MUSIC HAS A 30 DAY PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE. AFTER OUR TV WAS INSTALLED WE FOUND IT ON SALE AT A LARGE CHAIN STORE, SO THEY GAVE US A REFUND FOR THE DIFFERENCE.

Description of Work
THE PRICE INCLUDED ALL COMPONENTS, WIRING AND INSTALLATION. ON ONE OCCASION THEY INSTALLED NEW OUTLETS FOR THE SPEAKERS. ON A SECOND DAY THEY INSTALLED THE TV, SPEAKERS AND STEREO COMPONENTS. ONCE EVERYTHING WAS INSTALLED THEY CALIBRATED THE TV AND STEREO FOR OPTIMAL VIEWING AND SOUND.

ADT

Offers by ADT on Angi
    Murphy Family Electric

Sean Murphy comes from a large family and learned the trade from his dad in Oregon at the age of 14. Since then him and his team help homeowners with their electrical needs, everything from recessed lights to electric vehicle chargers. Murphy Family Electric strives for providing the customer valuable skilled trades at a good value for the customer.

Offers by Murphy Family Electric on Angi
    Callahan Electric

Callahan Electric is a small shop that focuses on detail and price. We are less expensive from most shops because our overhead is low, and our attention to detail is why we have lots of repeat business and many referrals.

Home theater, stereo systems, security cameras, wiring, automation & network design.