ESP Painting

Founded 1998 • With Angi since August 2005

10208 SW Park Way

Portland, OR 97225

Why choose ESP Painting? Our mission is "To exceed customer expectations through our craftsmanship, knowledge and attention to detail." We are Portland-based painting contractors specializing in residential and commercial painting. Whether you need the walls of your office or the exterior of your

02/25/2020

MARIA D.

Painting went well for most part. Trim painting was really good (there is a lot of trim on my house); a few touch-ups were needed on the siding, and the painter wound up repainting a few boards again because it was easier. One small spot (4" long) on my siding delaminated somehow during painting, and I chose to leave as-is. There was a lot of paperwork up front. Previous painters, when I said I wanted the same colors, would match it, but I went to Miller Paint to confirm the exact numbers in their database because I had to sign off on it with ESP. That was a little stressful, and I even had the numbers! I think the post-job walk-thru with Jeff could be more thorough; I did a later walk-thru and listed my findings. The follow-up work was scheduled and completed.

Description of Work
Exterior Paint job

07/13/2018

Jonathan P.

We just had ESP paint the outside of our home and the experience couldn't have gone better. Jeff was great to work with and provided a detailed estimate that beat most of the other bids we had. We also needed some siding repaired and they were one of the few companies we talked to that included that in the estimate. Once we decided to go with ESP, everything went great! They got the siding repaired promptly and made sure we got our house painted pretty soon after that. We were really appreciative that they were flexible to make sure the paining worked for our schedule. Juan and his crew were awesome too! They were professional and extremely efficient. They really went above and beyond for us. Jeff even brought us some chocolate chip cookies at the final walkthrough! I know it's a small thing when you're paying thousands of dollars to have your home painted, but it's those small things that really show how dedicated they are to making sure we were happy. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking to have some painting done.

Description of Work
Exterior Painting

Category siding, pressure washing, house painters

06/30/2018

Justin W.

ESP painted our home, again, in June 2018 and we couldn't be happier about the lead-up, the actual painting and the outcome. Working with Jeff Sommers has always been convenient, efficient, and pleasant. Before starting, Jeff listened to our needs relating to specific areas to paint (and not paint!), neighbors, and concerns with preparing a home with both lead-based paint (and children). Fermin, the foreman/crew leader, was meticulous in his craft and responsive to my requests, as were the members of his crew. [They used lead-safe practices throughout the job.] During the scraping/caulking phase, they broke a small window pane. The crew contacted me immediately, and had it replaced within 48 hours. The job required painting our walls from the yards of two neighbors. This was done without any complaints or voiced concerns from them (and one later asked for ESP Painting's info. for his own house). Job-site clean-up was completed daily. Job was completed one day early. Over 11 years, ESP Painting has completed two interior and two exterior paint jobs for us (including a "repair" needed for another company's shoddy work). We're thankful that we can rely on ESP Painting for consistent, high-quality results, which are fairly-priced, and accomplished in an irritant-free manner by genuinely pleasant and detail-oriented staff.

Description of Work
Complete exterior painting of NE PDX bungalow

06/03/2018

DEVON S.

Excellent experience. Even though spring is busy for painters doing exterior work, Jeff fit us in and got the job done within 2 days. The crew worked hard and were professional. All surfaces were covered to avoid paint splatter. We are very happy with the results.

Description of Work
Interior painting of living room, dining room, hallways - walls and ceilings. Painting of woodwork.

12/13/2017

Alfred D.

The crew was excellent, they first spent most of the first day covering all floors and stairs and masked ever area so no paint would wind up on the hardwood floors. All small imperfections were repaired and sanded. They applied two coats of 5 different colors of paint, two semi gloss and two egg shell plus ceiling white. This is a very difficult area, 2 floors tall in about 40% of the area painted and very hard to reach. They made it look easy. The final result is excellent. The crew was friendly as was Jeff Sommers, the owner of the company. While not the cheapest company, you pay for quality and that is what they provide.

Description of Work
Paint Stair well, all trim, walls and ceiling.

07/11/2017

RICHARD G.

Generally well. Delay of project due to weather. Power washing would have been a disaster if we weren't home to stop the flooding. Communication could have been clearer around that. Most importantly, paint job looks beautiful. Meticulous attention to all painted areas

Description of Work
exterior house painting

06/27/2017

Ryan H.

Horrible... Total lack of professionalism.

Description of Work
Exterior painting

05/27/2017

MARTHA G.

I saw the ESP truck across the street. My neighbors were very happy with the exterior job that ESP did. So I called Jeff and asked him to provide me with an estimate on painting my living room and hall. He came by right on schedule. We had to wait for a rainy day, as this time of the year, the painters are busy doing exterior work. But Jeff kept me posted and gave me plenty of notice as to the start date. The guys came on a Monday and finished up on Thursday. This is the best experience I have had with a painting company. The painters took meticulous care of my home. Their preparation of the rooms was detailed and thorough. I was going from a dark to light color, so in addition to priming the walls, the job required three coats of paint. My home looks like new and I couldn't be happier. They cleaned the place up and even helped me move some of the heavier furniture back in place. And when the job was complete and I realized I did not want the old window coverings up after all, they came back, patched the holes and painted the areas where the fixtures were. This was the best money I have ever spent on my home. I am so glad that I found them and will call them in the future.

Description of Work
My living room, dining room and front hall were painted

Category drywall, interior painters

05/22/2017

Dean A.

The job went great, just as expected. We put a small deposit down last Fall to hold the date for late Spring, they started on time and finished on time too! Jeff was great to work with and so was his office staff. Thanks everyone.

Description of Work
We needed to have our duplex repainted and got a referral from a friend.

04/25/2017

Nadia W.

Very well. They were excellent, organized, considerate and easy to be around. A supervisor stopped by to check on the work. One of the best experiences that I've had with a skilled tradesperson.

Description of Work
Touch up work around the house

04/12/2017

Robert C.

Jeff was professional and easy to work with. His team was fast and did quality work. I'd hire him again.

Description of Work
He painted condo

04/01/2017

Denise G.

We had a fantastic experience with ESP Painting. We called them after we fired our other painters. Manuel’s attention to detail was exceptional. For example, the other company had removed wall paper and then a dry wall company came in to texture the walls. The drywall company left gobs or drywall plaster behind the toilet. The other painting company just painted over it. I didn’t mention this to Manuel as there were too many other things that needed to be fixed. However, he scraped off all of the paint and drywall behind the toilet and repainted. We had a darker colored paint against whiter woodwork so the lines had to be exact. They did a great job. They came on time and worked long hours to accomplish the job in a timely manner. Manuel has been with the company for nearly 10 years so he has a lot of experience (and speaks good English). Thanks for doing such a great job!

Description of Work
ESP fixed the mess the other company made and painted the walls and woodwork in the majority of our house. They painted some built-in shelves in our family room and revarnished the cabinets in the bathroom.

03/25/2017

Karen H.

Attention to detail was great and we are pleased with the result!

Description of Work
Painting interior trim in an older PDX home.

03/20/2017

Lisa A.

No phone call back and totally ignored.

Description of Work
Received a bid for whole exterior house painting. This bid was $1400.00 higher the highest bid I had previously gotten from five other painters which ranged from $1700.00 to $2200.00. I called to discuss the price with the intent of possibly contracting for services. I was told that I would be called back the next day. Two weeks later and no phone call. I would have totally understood if an agreement on price could not have been reached but to just totally ignore me with not even a, "I'm sorry I am not able to paint your house at a lesser rate" is pretty unprofessional.

02/17/2017

LINDA S.

The whole experience was wonderful. Jeff was meticulous in making sure everything was right and backed up his word no matter what. He and the crew answered every question promptly and did exactly what they said they would do. Everyone was helpful and inventive in making sure our former black walls (they were black when we moved in) became the bright, sunny oasis that I envisioned no matter what problem arose. It was so nice working with honest, reliable professionals who take pride in their work and keep their word.

Description of Work
I needed the master bedroom to be painted.

11/12/2016

CONNIE B.

Everything went very well, from the initial estimate process to getting the work done in a timely and very professional manner. The painters did an excellent job---top quality all the way and the cabinets look like new again.

Description of Work
Refinished wooden kitchen cabinets and painted the ceiling in the kitchen & family room.

08/08/2016

Alyssa T.

ESP Painting just finished painting the exterior of our house, including our front door and garage doors. They also waterproofed the stone facades on our garage and front porch. We are extremely happy with the end result and with the overall experience. The team was thorough in their preparation of our house--taking the time to caulk every crevice, fix cracks and examine every inch of the exterior. They double-checked our paint colors, asked questions whenever needed, and when the project was finished, did a final walk-through to ensure that we were satisfied with the results. In addition, when one of the members of the painting team had to leave due to a family emergency, ESP provided another painting team the next day to ensure that our project was completed in a timely manner. Both the teams and the management were professional, friendly, and courteous at all times. And on top of it, their bid was competitive with other companies we contacted. We would absolutely recommend this company to other customers.

Description of Work
Painted the exterior of our 2400 sf ranch home.

08/08/2016

Neil P.

This was one of the best experiences I've had with ANY home contractor of any trade! The employees were extremely courteous, the owner is a fantastic communicator and the prices were competitive.

Description of Work
Exterior House Painting

05/19/2016

Sondra B.

They were excellent. Their price was fine and the painting job was very good. We are very pleased and would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
They painted the outside of our house and refinished our deck.

Category decks, pressure washing, house painters

01/29/2016

Catherine N.

The ESP Paint team of two arrive on time and set to work. Within a short time everything was taped and protected and the painting began. They kept at it all day and managed to do the front entry, dining room and hallway. We were amazed and thrilled with how beautiful everything looked! I am a huge fan of ESP painting! They even left us a sweet goody "paint can" of some treats.

Description of Work
Painted our walls as far as they could in the time allowed.

01/04/2016

JOHN D.

Met with Jeff from ESP for a bid very early on in a remodeling process. Turned out we needed to do painting near the end of the project, so didn't end up calling back to schedule for several months, but Jeff was very responsive and was able to fit us in relatively quickly, even during busy season, and he honored the Angie's List deal featured on the site. He was able to let me know how much paint to get in each color and I was able to use his discount at the paint store. The morning of the job, Jeff called me to let me know that his lead painter's wife had a baby overnight and that he was working to reorganize the team to make sure we had qualified folks. He ended up needing to come later than planned, but was really good about communication and it wasn't a problem at all. Jeff hadn't been scheduled to show up for the job, but with the lead out, he came with another painter and made sure everything was in order. He even went out to purchase some extra supplies that the lead normally would have brought. The entire experience went really well. The crew was immaculate in their work - they moved and covered furniture, and put up plastic everywhere to ensure my wood floors were not damaged. They worked hard, taking only short breaks for lunch, and were pleasant to have around. They decided to use a spray method to paint the bathroom cabinet doors, so they set up a plastic bubble in my living room and kept the smell and mess contained to just that space. Final product looks fantastic! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend ESP.

Description of Work
Painted living room, office, cabinets in bathroom, and fireplace mantle

12/05/2015

Mark C.

EXCELLENT! The excellence started with Jeff, when he arrived to give us a price quote. He was on time, professional and also warm, thorough, and thoughtful. We've all known people with the glint of intelligence, competence, and integrity in their eyes; he's like that. The day of the job, Manuel and his co-worker arrived right on time. They were friendly, personable, polite, gracious, and helpful. And they are great painters! (Not to mention either acrobats or levitators.) They worked fast, carefully, and flawlessly. They finished faster than expected, and they volunteered to work on other painting projects in the house. In a couple of their hours they probably saved us another day or two of our work. They are not only exemplary painters; I think they are magicians. ESP Painting is about as close to perfection as I think a company can get. When we have more painting to be done, they'll be at the top of our short list. Thanks to their great work (did I mention EXCELLENT?), it's a list of one company.

Description of Work
Two painters for a day, to paint hard-to-reach interior parts of the house we recently purchased. Some areas presented serious vertical challenges. All areas were highly visible, and needed to be done well.

11/11/2015

Claudia W.

IWhen I first contacted ESP, Jeff Sommers came to the house, walked around both outside and inside, then sat down and gave me the proposal to do the job. He was the first to contact me as I had also contacted other paint contractors. After reviewing the proposal and getting other bids, I went with ESP because of the professionalism shown by Jeff. They were able to start the work a little early which was a nice surprise and they did the job within the timeframe and did a great job. I also wanted to have shutters put on the house and Jeff gave me valuable information about what kind and then offered to install them as part of the job! Due to a being out of town on a family matter, Jeff was so kind and worked with me regarding timing, and even receiving his payment. I highly recommend ESP Painting for their quality service, professionalism, and high work ethics.

Description of Work
Painted exterior of my house as well as doing some interior touch-up. Also hung my new shutters!

11/02/2015

Jack S.

Excellent attention to detail by avery hard working crew

Description of Work
Extensive prep work on many problem areas including large areas of bleed thru on 1950s home Prime and paint

10/13/2015

Mattie G.

Jeff's crew did a wonderful job painting the exterior of my 1920 Craftsman Bungalow just as I wanted, to restore it to its' former glory. The paint was peeling in places and bare wood was exposed and the detailing had been lost. It looks really great now and I couldn't be more pleased. The workers were respectful of my house and the garden and were friendly and approachable. They were punctual, professional, and hard-working. Jeff kept me apprised of changes to the work schedule because of rain and did exactly what he said he would. He was personable, knowledgeable and professional. He was prompt returning my phone calls and got the work done in a timely manner. He communicated with me when we had a slight miscommunication and was easy to work with. I highly recommend ESP Painting and glad I chose this company from all the bids I received. I am now a proud home owner again!

Description of Work
Jeff and his crew painted the exterior of my house.