Ed Reinstein Fine Woodworking

Founded 1977 • With Angi since December 2012

1230 SE 32nd Pl

Portland, OR 97214

Custom Furniture making/cabinet making, custom furniture repair and refinishing without upholstery. Built-ins Chests in the wall, closets, window seats, kitchen nooks, bookcases, libraries, bars and more. Fireplace Mantels, surrounds, hearths and wall to wall cabinetry hearth mantel solutions. I

08/15/2021

JEFF J.

Decades ago, I bought a second-hand writing desk that had a water-damaged, solid-wood top. It had a couple of major splits and was cupped and discolored. It has some minor historical significance so I finally decided to get it repaired. Ed did a fantastic job--better than I had hoped. He was able to remove the splits and flatten the top while maintaining as much of the thickness of the top as possible. He masterfully refinished the top to match the color of the rest of the desk and gave it a wood-floor finish for durability. I got several bids on this project and Ed's was actually the lowest, so I couldn't be happier. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Repair water-damaged surface of a writing desk

03/15/2020

robin A.

He completed once but he did not think it was the quality he wanted so he took the time and effort to totally redo. Very nice

Description of Work
refinish antique bedroom set.

11/22/2019

Kathleen T.

Chair can now be used, and he oiled and waxed the old wood, making it more beautiful than I've seen it look in 30 years!

Description of Work
Antique chair that needed to be glued back at all the joints.

08/20/2019

scott E.

Had a super good experience with this project. Great communication. Ed is an artist and a terrific person to work with. He knows wood working and the skill sets show. I recommend him highly

Description of Work
Repaired shorter table that hold a 100 + pound marble table top. Central base was split and the hollow column need to be strengthened. After repair whole table cleaned up and finished.

04/30/2019

CAROL F.

It went perfect. We had a conversation on the phone describing the work I needed done, and he explained his busy schedule, but agreed to take a look. He completed the work very quickly and the end product is exceptionally good. I couldn't be more pleased. If you need a Fine Woodworking person, give him a call!

Description of Work
Repaired six dining room chairs

04/30/2019

Patricia D.

Ed provided very prompt service and flawless, skilled work.

Description of Work
The leg supports on the dining chairs were separating from the legs.

12/03/2018

Rebecca O.

Honestly if you did not know we did this project you would never notice. The detail and color are so good. We hired Ed after reading reviews and looking at photos of his work. He is so skilled and detail-oriented. A pleasure. And I have enjoyed getting to know Ed.

Description of Work
Removing a cabinet. Rebuilding a new one to match hickory aged 20 years.

Category custom cabinets, furniture repair

11/18/2018

FLORENCE B.

Ed not only did a beautiful craftsman job in the remodel, his creative solution to a warped top resulted in a huge improvement over the original design of the piece.

Description of Work
Remodeled a credenza that was poorly built and damaged.

10/25/2018

Herb W.

We had six walnut dining room chairs that were loose or broken. Ed repaired them all, did a beautiful job, and completed the job on time and for the quoted price.

Description of Work
Repair six walnut dining room chairs

10/22/2018

Dan L.

Ed was wonderful. I articulated my wishes and he made them come true! I wanted a piece that would look like it had built with the house - a 1929 Tudor. The details are wonderful: from the wood panelling behind the TV to over the archway into the dining room. He chose perfect hardware. I dreamed of a library ladder - and Ed made it happen. We are so pleased with the results.

Description of Work
Ed built a huge, gorgeous bookcase/entertainment center on our entire 15-foot living room wall

Category custom cabinets, custom furniture, woodworking

10/08/2018

Ravi R.

This contractor did not contact me or return my calls. ANother contractor (Ryan Poulton) did and responded very promptly.

Description of Work
Repair furniture damaged in shipping

07/26/2018

George B.

Ed responded right away and finished the job faster than I thought he would.

Description of Work
Had dining table and chairs re-glued and reinforced so they are sturdy again.

05/17/2018

Philip S.

The Balusters were custom made by a Firm in Vermont that Ed found and vetted . Ed built the railings and installed the Balusters, and applied base and finish coat paint. His next job is to refinish an antique Sheraton Dining Table and repair several Chippendale dining chairs.

Description of Work
25 ft of custom balustrade

12/26/2017

Erica L.

Ed was great! He took my vision and gave me exactly if not more than what we wanted. He uses quality craftsmanship and he built a beautiful wall unit with shelving and drawers and media outlets for all wiring. He also built a matching beautiful bay window seat. He was very nice, funny, punctual and a bit eccentric, but that's part of his charm. We would definitely use him again and recommend him to anyone!

Description of Work
A full wall-unit built in and a bay window seat.

Category custom cabinets, custom furniture, woodworking

11/19/2017

Peter A.

Ed scheduled us in within two weeks, came and picked up the table, and had it back to us in just two days. The repair job was excellent, and we hope to use the table for many years to come. Thank you so much!

Description of Work
Our Asian dining room table had a badly cracked leg, and we wanted to get it repaired before hosting Thanksgiving dinner at our house.

10/21/2017

Peter E.

After calling multiple places, and looking for shelves or workable shelving materials in retail outlets - and being told it wasn't possible, because of the 'odd' measurements - Ed said he would see what he could do. He came over, made his measurements, ... and a few days later, I had my shelves - and, they look FABULOUS!!! Absolutely ecstatic!!! To make things even better, his price was MORE than reasonable!

Description of Work
I needed shelves replaced in a custom made spice rack, after tenants had burned the original shelves, having a 'party...'

Category custom cabinets, furniture repair, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

10/16/2017

Benjamin R.

Ed was great, he did a great job on the chairs and the price was more than fair.

Description of Work
Had three chairs repaired.

10/10/2017

John P.

For each project, Ed did wonderful work. Our door is beautiful again (and we were worried that we'd have to replace it before Ed came along), and he walked us through the steps we can take to keep it beautiful. Our window sills look great. Our clock still looks like an antique (which is what we wanted), but it is now in good shape for the next century of use! Ed is a busy guy, because he does good work for a good price. We hope he'll do more work for us in the future. We feel lucky that he did this work for us, because his skills go way beyond the level of repairs and refinishing.

Description of Work
Ed has done three projects for us: refinishing our front door, refinishing a couple of sun- and cat-damaged window sills, and fixing the case of an antique wooden clock.

Category furniture repair, doors

10/05/2017

Paula A.

Ed was highly professional. He examined the table carefully before deciding the best course of action. He was able to restore the surface without fully refinishing it. I greatly appreciated his expertise and thoughtfulness in recommending a course other than complete refinishing. He completed the work quickly. The restored top is gorgeous, with a nicer surface than the original. Excellent work. It was a pleasure to work with Ed and I recommend him with enthusiasm and without reservation.

Description of Work
My dining room table top needed refinishing to remove a gummy and deteriorating surface.

08/21/2017

Merritt O.

We had several jobs for Ed. We live in an old home where nothing standard fits, so we had him build a custom gate at the top of our stairway to keep our baby safe. It fits the character of our home and is both functional and pretty to look at. Additionally, we needed an antique coffee table to be refinished after many years of wear and tear. Ed refinished it and made it like new again - it looks beautiful and has a gorgeous glow to it now. Our dining table is much the same. Ed does beautiful work and is both affordable and punctual. He also takes the time to make sure that each job is done perfectly and that everything looks and feels just the way it needs to.

Description of Work
Refinishing antique coffee table, resizing and refinishing a dining room table, custom-built gate for top of stairway

Category furniture repair, custom furniture, woodworking

08/19/2017

JONATHAN L.

Ed did an amazing job repairing and restoring my mid century modern credenza. It was damaged during a cross country move and I didn't expect much. Ed went the extra mile not only repairing where I can't tell that it was ever damaged but restoring and cleaning the wood so it looks like new.Way beyond my expectations. Excellent all around.

Description of Work
During a cross country move my mid century modern credenza had the legs broken off and a laminated copper top surface became de-laminated from the substrate. It was a mess thanks to the movers.

03/05/2017

George K.

Ed was busy with other work, but had the courtesy to squeeze me in. He was responsive to my needs, meticulous in his drawings and installation

Description of Work
A custom-built bookcase

11/22/2016

Nicholas D.

I had a hinge that had pulled loose from a wooden silver chest. I contacted Ed Reinstein in the hope that he could repair it. He confirmed that he could, gave me an approximate price and told me to call him when I was ready to bring it to him. The repair process was very quick (2 day turn around). The stripped screw holes were plugged and the hinge re-attached without any evidence that a repair was ever made - the box looks as good as it did before it was damaged. The actual coast was within the original quoted range. I am extremely happy with the work done and would highly recommend this team.

Description of Work
hinge repair for silver chest

10/27/2016

James V.

Ed was very responsive and helpful in working with us and providing an excellent re-finished item at a very reasonable price.

Description of Work
Ed re-finished a solid oak bathroom fixture for us.

09/20/2016

JOSEPH H.

Ed Reinstein did a great job. We are extremely pleased with the quality of Ed's work and how easy it was to work with him.

Description of Work
Apply clear coat to large dinning room table

Cunningham Custom Remodels

Cunningham Custom Remodels specializes in Kitchen & Bath remodels, Basement / ADU's and custom finish work. We're locally owned and owner-operated and our team is ready to give your space whatever updates it requires. We focus on quality workmanship and customer satisfaction so make sure you give us a call! We look forward to hearing from you soon!

2022 Super Service Award

Offers Coupon

Design Fab

We specialize in modern and creative architectural interiors for your home or business! Unique design, quality craftsmanship, and a great client experience is what we strive to achieve with every project we do. Custom made entertainment centers, feature walls, bathrooms, kitchens, shelving units, custom furnishings, anything you need or can dream is within our capability, Were great at working together with our clients on a design solution that fits both their needs as well as there personality and style. Contact us to set up a free initial in home design consultation and see for yourself why everybody loves us and our product!

Offers Coupon

Mt. Tabor Construction

Mt. Tabor Construction offers general contracting services including all phases of remodel projects-kitchen, bath, basement, attic, plus, electrical, plumbing, fencing, gates, decks, painting-interior/exterior, drywall and plaster, landscaping, as well as home repair/handyman services.

Kitchens and bathrooms remodeled, refacing, vanities, towel storage, seating, medicine cabinets, furniture, fireplace, built-ins, furniture repair and refinishing & veneering.