E & M APPLIANCE REPAIR

7441 N LOMBARD ST

Portland, OR 97203

11/09/2014

SARAH & ROGER F.

Our dishwasher leaked. We called E and M, whom we have used numerous times. We like to support North Portland businesses. There are many good appliance repair services on Angie's List and we would have called one of them had we known that E and M was not going to do the work. That's really the only reason for this review. I haven't had a chance to call them yet (I was out of town and husband took care of this) to ask why they think it's OK to send someone else without telling us. The service was OK. $80 for a one-inch piece of spaghetti noodle lodged between the door seal and the door. Seems like a lot of money, but reasonable considering it was a service call.

Description of Work
Without our knowledge or permission, they contracted out our repair request to a non-Angie's List provider, All Hours Appliance Service, (PO Box in Oregon City).

04/05/2013

BARBARA C.

i called E and M in the morning at 9am. their repairman Rick called back within the hour. he was flexible about the time he would arrive, arrived on time , identified the problem quickly and repaired it in in 45 minutes.

Description of Work
repaired a 2002 kenmore dryer. the spin cycle had frozen . the washer was full of water.

12/19/2012

Terry M.

went very well - tech provided examples how to keep my refrigerator clean.

Description of Work
Fixed refrigerator and did an excellent job - great response time and customer service

09/25/2012

Peter M.

They were nice. They guy came out and found out what was wrong, ordered the parts, and came back out and fixed it. I would rate them overall an A. They were great and we would use them again. They were helpful, friendly and professional.

Description of Work
We used E & M Appliance to repair our dryer after a flood. We also ended up buying a new dryer from this company

08/23/2012

Chris H.

Very well. I phoned them on Friday morning, and they scheduled me for Monday afternoon. The guy arrived on time, and was finished in about 45 minutes.

Description of Work
Replaced element in my gas oven. It took about 40 minutes (including diagnosis).

Category small appliance repair

02/28/2012

Darryl S.

10 years ago they completely checked out my 50 year old GE stove and got everything working again. Today went equally well. We've been using Eand M appliance repair for years. They are honest and trustworthy. Their prices are reasonable. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Washer wouldn't drain or spin. Turned out to be just the switch on lid, which he promptly replaced. Since he was here I had him check out the back burner on the stove. Just a loose wire.

09/18/2009

VICKI M.

It was a small part that had to be replaced. The part had something to do with temperature regulation, as the refrigerator was warming up. I was being referred by my friend to use their services. I first called them up and then made an appointment to have someone come to fix the problem. They came as per the scheduled time and repaired the refrigerator. They also accepted the payment and left. I didn’t compare their price with any other company. If I have any more appliances to be repaired, then I would call them, primarily based on the reference made by my friend.

Description of Work
I used the services of E and M Appliance Repair to have my refrigerator repaired about a year ago.

03/09/2009

Jennifer D.

E and M came out after my lovely daughter had left a bobby pin in a pair of pants and it had made it's way to the motor where is jammed up the impeller that pumps the water out. He came out and was working on taking it apart and putting it back together in less than a half an hour. I was very impressed with him. He was a very neat guy who was willing to talk with me and explain things. He runs a great little family business. I was very pleased with his service.

Description of Work
I have used E & M Appliance Repair to do some repairs on my washing machine.

10/11/2008

DAVID M.

Called Eand M after discovering the fridge and freezer weren't keeping food cold. Called another repair shop and made the mistake of mentioning we had another fridge in the basement...they said 4 business days was the soonest they could get anyone out. Eand M had Rick out the next day. Friendly, professional, and when running a bit late called to inform us. Second time we've called both... second time going with Eand M and second time very please with level of service.

Description of Work
Diagnosed and repaired Jenn Air Fridge. Replaced a relay and overload ($52 in materials). And tested to make sure it fixed the issue before leaving.

08/15/2008

ALAN J.

They didn't show up at the time they said they were going to. I called their service tech and the service tech said he had a problem and had to take his daughter somewhere. He said he would be out in an hour or two. My wife had to wait five hours. He never showed up but they sent someone else out. The other guy did do a good job but he demanded a check on the spot. His words were quote, "We don't work for free ma'am" He didn't even right an invoice, he wrote the price on a post it note. I have had good experiences with that company and I would use them again, this was just a terrible experience.

Description of Work
E & M Appliance Repair came out and fixed my washer.

06/12/2007

SARAH W.

The repair tech came to the house and quickly diagnosed and repaired our non-draining dishwasher. However, he's done this 4 or 5 times now. Each subsequent time he has not charged for the follow up. Still, the dishwasher does not drain on a consistent basis. He hasn't replaced any parts or told us that the dishwasher would be too expensive to repair if we had parts replaced, he just comes in and unscrews the casing and jiggles some stuff and the thing drains again. For a day or two. Then, we're back to square one. So, I'm frustrated that I still don't have a dishwasher that works, and I'm moving on to another contractor.

Description of Work
Diagnosed and repaired (sorta) our non-draining dishwasher.

06/10/2007

HARLAN S.

Found source of leak, missing clips on tub. However, didn't call back about finding replacement clips.

Description of Work
Checked for washing machine leaks.

02/02/2007

TONI G.

I contacted Don Rabie in early-December about my dryer. He said needed to order the belt and would contact me when it came in. I waited a few weeks, and never heard from him. I called him in late-December, and he said the belt hadn't arrived, but it should be in soon. I call him again mid-January...turns out he hadn't placed the order when I first called, but he assured me it would be in soon. At that point, I felt like I was being strung along, so I ordered the belt myself from www.repairclinic.com. It arrived in 3 days, and I set up a time with another company to install the belt. In the meantime, Don calls me to say the belt had arrived (7 weeks after I first spoke with him!). I told him I had given up on him. He seemed incredibly apologetic, so I figured if he wanted to redeem himself he could come out and install the belt, and I would be happy. He never showed up. If he had of just followed through I wouldn't be writing this review today. Shame on you, Don.

Description of Work
Repair of Asko dryer. Dryer belt was broken.

01/26/2007

DEBORAH S.

I think they are awesome. The follow up was great and he had to come out a second time when the part came in and didn't charge me again.

Description of Work
He worked on my refrigerator.

12/05/2006

ROBERTA F.

As described above. It went great. Don Rabie arrived promptly. In the process of diagnosing and fixing the problem, he produced a compressor to blow out the hose and some silicone for protection against a future problem. It was a simple job for him but was impossible for me to have figured out. Thanks Don!

Description of Work
SubZero refrigerator was leaking water into the main refrigerator. The problem was a clogged hose which was promptly diagnosed and repaired. He also cleaned the compressor while he was here.

11/14/2006

MARCIA W.

Everything done on time and efficiently. He explained what he was doing and inspected dryer pronouncing it in good health and cleaned up after self. Altogether a good experience.

Description of Work
Dryer started squealing Friday night (of course) I called at 10am Monday. Don said he could come at 1pm that day. I asked how much it would cost if the belt needed to be replaced he said $15-$20 for belt and that call minimum was $69 including a half hour of labor. He said he would call before he came. He called just before 1, arrived at 1:10. It wasn't the belt, but vent needed replacing. Parts (vent elbow and covered 'slinky'). $4.50 & $9.00, service call $69 and additional labor $10.

10/31/2006

CATHY O.

I called Eand M and they sent someone out the next day. Don Rabie showed up on time. He actually called me before he left for my house so I could meet him. He was courteous and professional when he arrived. He took my refrigerator apart and explained all the parts, and how they work in detail. He ran some tests, checked the lines and defrost and basically told me he could fix the problem temporarily, and recommended that I get a new refrigerator at some point. Compressors are expensive to fix and/or replace. He was honest and thorough in his assessment and recommendation. Everything is working great for now. I have time to look for a new refrigerator when this one craps out.

Description of Work
My refrigerator was not cooling consistently, and the freezer wasn't freezing. So they did a full inspection. They checked the freezer coil, gas lines and compressor, etc.

10/25/2006

Gene D.

Rick Kelly came out on Sept 28 and said the leak was coming from the rubber boot inside the front of the machine. That was replaced for a price of 191.00. Next day it started leaking in the same area. He came back out and said it must be something with the door itself would check some pricing and get back with me. Didn't hear from him in a couple of days so I called him back and he said he was still working on the door and would get back with me. I called back on Wed. Oct 11th he returned my call on Friday Oct.13th, said he was still working on it. Almost a month later and still leaking!!!!!!! We own a elder care facility and he knew of the importance this piece of equipment was to us.

Description of Work
I had a water leak beneath the door of our front load washing machine.

10/20/2006

REBECCA K.

The process of purchasing from Eand M was not as smooth as a repair. I shopped around although it is extremely difficult to compare models and prices. I then went over to Eand M ready to buy the new fridge. They were $50 cheaper than Sears and they had a $25 coupon for energy saver appliances. The order was placed, I paid and waited for them to call that it was in. I received a call a couple days later that the wrong model # was sent in so the wrong style arrived. OK, it happens. Then I found out that the model I wanted was on backorder. OK, it happens. Then I waited, and waited, and waited and finally had to keep calling them to find out the status of my order. I actually called GE to see if I could get more information than what I was receiving from the store. After about a week and a half of this, the store finally got with the program and kept me informed of the status, gave me a copy of the order for my model # and did call me as soon as they had news. I did finally receive my order.

Description of Work
Purchased new French door refrigerator and had delivered and installed.

Category appliance sales

10/20/2006

REBECCA K.

I purchased a house in June and the seller left her refrigerator in the house. After awhile it dawned on me that the refrigerator ran continuously and kept a single temperature - cold. I called around and Eand M were available the same day which was great so I had the repair guy out and he poked around, replaced something and told me to keep an eye on it and call him if it didn't improve. I waited a week and it didn't improve so I gave them a call, the repair guy came back out (after promising but not showing up or calling on Saturday)and took a look, tinkered around some more. He then said that it looked like the fridge was on its last legs and it could either last another 2 years or 2 months but he did tell me some indicators to watch for so I could catch the death early and get a new fridge instead of coming home one day to find everything melted. I like their service and promptness, would and have called them again.

Description of Work
Did basic checks, clean system, replace thermostat.

10/09/2006

RONALD H.

Excellent. I was concerned that the dryer was not repairable and I would pay a $50+ service fee to be told that. E and M accurately diagnosed the problem over the telephone and fixed it as promised. Also their service fee includes a 1/2 hr labor, none of the other shops did so.

Description of Work
Fixed dryer.

10/07/2006

DAVID M.

It was easy to schedule with Eand M...they had someone out in 2 business days (I was quoted 5-7 days from another company) and couldn't have gone that long without doing laundry. Don was very professional and efficient. I felt a little silly for not trying to fix it myself... and for what he found in the pumps catch and was glad for him taking time to show me how everything went together - he was in and out within 40 minutes. I was surprised by how inexpensive his service call was (less than the minimum quoted from the other company I called)... all in all... an excellent experience.

Description of Work
My front loading washing machine was making a horrible grinding noise when the pump cycle came on to drain the water. I was sure it was going to need a new pump or worse. Don came out, disassembled my machine and removed several nails, screws, hair clips from my daughters, and other misc. stoof from the pump. He had a replacement ready to go but after reassembling it, the washer was as good as new... and I learned how to empty the catch basin should I forget to empty my pockets before doing the wash.

10/04/2006

JAN S.

Nice guy...but he did not know how to fix the dishwasher. He said it needed a whole new control panel (the dishwasher was two years old). When he got the part, he could not figure out how to put it in. I ended up having to wait about two weeks to get GE out here only for them to reset the power and find there was not anything wrong with the unit. I am glad I did not have to pay for a new control panel...I felt like I was on 20/20 or something. Moral of the story...tell the company EXACTLY which dishwasher you have and make them reassure you that they have been TRAINED on that exact model ...especially the newer ones. I did finally get the company to give me my money back for the service call (although I have not received it yet). Stay tuned.

Description of Work
Checked the dishwasher.

09/06/2006

NORMA B.

They were very quick and were very personable. The price was not bad.

Description of Work
They repaired my dishwasher and washing machine.

08/30/2006

PAUL B.

Work was done in a professional and satisfactory way. Issue: Appointment was set for a Wednesday afternoon, when I was at the house. Service Tech was a ''no show'' and didn't call. I had to reschedule for the following Fri afternoon which necessitated taking an afternoon off at a very busy time for me. Work and price - fine. Scheduling - sucked.

Description of Work
Replaced broken cam (door hinge part)