Appliance City

Founded 1962 • With Angi since October 2005

4046 NE Cully Blvd

Portland, OR 97213

Mike Usselman is the "Third Generation Owner" of Appliance City. As explained by The Hollywood Star News(July 2011), "It's all in the family at Appliance City. Three generations of Usselmans have owned & operated this unique store, located at 4046 NE Cully Blvd (www.appliancecity.info). We're

08/26/2022

Tasha Y.

Business owner Mike and employees have integrity and great customer service. Our fridge/freezer stopped holding temperature so we needed a fridge fast. They showed us some units they could get to us quick that were budget friendly. When I mentioned haul away on our current fridge the owner Mike recommended we troubleshoot our unit and if that didn’t work then recommended to have his tech look at it before purchasing a new one. It ended up being something we could troubleshoot. He could have sold us a fridge rather than listen to us and diagnose in the fixable issue. He was honest and helpful. When we are ready to replace any appliances we plan to start here. I am so impressed with them!

Description of Work
Replace refrigerator

05/13/2022

Rob & Julie H.

Contacted Appliance City and spoke with Allison regarding having a Frigidaire refrigerator looked at since it was making a loud buzzing sound. She advised it might be Monday since it was late Friday morning already but she would speak with the repairman. The repairman Ty called back and said he could be out in only a few hours and was there right when he said he would be and fixed the issue quickly and competently. Great service by all involved and the price was very reasonable for such great service. Highly recommend Appliance City!

Description of Work
Refrigerator Repair

01/29/2021

LARRY S.

They were quick to respond to queries, and to service my washing machine.

Description of Work
washing machine repair

08/22/2019

Marc F.

Courteous, professional and reasonably priced.

Description of Work
Washer and refrigerator repair work

02/08/2018

Chris J.

Mike did some quick research and called me back promptly to discuss the options and advise against doing a repair. I was very appreciative of this service that cost me nothing.

Description of Work
Called to enquirer about a repair to my electric dryer. They would do the service repair but were honest about the cost to repair vs buy a new dryer, based on the symptoms I was describing over the phone.

Category small appliance repair

08/29/2017

Ross B.

They were great to work with. Definitely do that again.

Description of Work
Purchased a freezer.

08/15/2017

meghan C.

I am so impressed and grateful for this wonderful company and the amazing men who work there. Mike the owner went out of his way to take care of my needs and his crew were so polite and helpful. I was so upset with my predicament, and they really worked hard to solve my problem. This is the perfect example of what a business should be -- the customer service, the products, the efficiency, the integrity -- I could go on and on about them!!!and on top of everything, they are reasonable! Wow! I will call them again in a heartbeat. I will plan on calling them when it's time to replace my washer.

Description of Work
My dryer stopped working and I had 4 loads of laundry to dry before having an Airbnb guest arrive in two days.i was absolutely desperate and every place I called first couldn't even take my,case before 3 days out.

09/12/2016

Linda T.

Great service. Robert was professional, friendly, and really good at his job. The 12 y.o. Dishwasher stopped doing it's job because we'd gunked it up. Problem was diagnosed and fixed and left a happy customer.

Description of Work
Kitchenaid Dishwasher

06/29/2016

LYNDSEY V.

Jason helped me measure and decide on the best fridge for us. He was knowledgeable, courteous and extremely helpful going way over and above in my opinion. I can't recommend appliance city AND Jason enough! I will definitely use them again!!

Description of Work
Sold me a new used refrigerator

10/31/2015

JOSHUA B.

We've used these folks a few times over the years. If you prefer old-fashioned laundry style, with top-load, large washers with agitators and big drums, and dryers that do whatever you want them to do? Well, I'm sure you've already discovered what a waste of time it is, going to big chain stores trying to find something you really want that doesn't cost a zillion dollars. Appliance City knows that we are out here, the customers who want something that's effective and easy to repair, that allow the user (that's me, the mom at home) to decide how the laundry should be treated, rather than some delicate computerized sensors inside the machines making poor decisions. They take old machines, repair and recondition them when feasible, scrap them when necessary. Then they sell 'em. They have great followup and customer service (one time, our dryer installation didn't work properly). Their sales and service people are honest, blunt, and fair. Their delivery guys are personable, flexible, and can communicate. They're great.

Description of Work
Washer & dryer sales, reconditioning, installation, & removal.

08/05/2015

judith W.

After finding the knob he thought would fit, Terry mailed it to me priority mail with the understanding that if it did fit I would pay him $10 for the part and $5 for shipping, which I was happy to do. Unfortunately, the package was not shipped to my correct address and was returned to Rose City. Because of illness, the package was delayed again. I received it today, it fit and I called Terry to confirm the $15 charge, but he said he was not going to charge me anything for the knob. Terry gave me excellent customer service--beyond my expectations. Because of his tenacity, my cook top has an extended life. I recommend Terry at Rose City highly, if you are having problems finding parts for old appliances. Thank you, Terry!

Description of Work
Terry Schmidt at Rose City Appliance Parts found a fan exhaust knob for my 1993 cooktop that had been discontinued. I called 6 parts businesses and no one helped me like Terry. He was the 7th person I talked with and my last resource. Although he could not find the exact part for my cook top, he searched drawers and boxes to find a knob that might fit--and it did!

Category appliance repair, small appliance repair

07/22/2015

Jason M.

These guys we're awesome. They have great high end appliances at really good prices. I found them on craigslist and then went into see them. We went to about 6 different places first before making our decision. The owners name there is Mike. He's sharp and honest and gave us a great deal. He's gone above and beyond what we expected. We will purchase from them again. They are awesome

Description of Work
I purchased a range for the kitchen and they installed it.

03/26/2015

Greg A.

When I got the item home, I discovered the housing was damaged in the back on the bottom. Both rear feet were missing and the metal was crushed. Additionally the fan that runs the unit was not attached to the base. With the fan not attached the unit would not function. I called them and told them the situation and that I wanted to return the product for a refund as it was obviously not new, had not been tested and did not function. I was told by a very friendly person that "Mike the owner would need to decide what could be done." I was told "Mike the owner" would call me. "Mike the owner" NEVER called me. On my 3rd call back, I got the same guy who had helped me the first time who was surprised that "Mike the owner" had not called me and that nothing had been done yet. This gentleman then left the phone coming back to tell me he talked to "Mike the owner" who said that "even though the item was damaged and was clearly not "new" as advertised, he would not take the return but would fix the item". Not hearing from anyone again for a week, I called back and found out the tech head reattach the fan and tested it and the "item was ready for me to pick up AGAIN". The Wine Fridge now seems to work fine. However, I had to use a piece of wood under the back to get it level as the back feet are still missing and the housing is damaged. Be sure to really examine what you are purchasing from this vendor. Clearly my item was not what was advertised. When i discovered their misrepresentation, I was told "no returns". The decision maker from the company did not respond to my requests. I had to keep calling them. "Mike the owner" seems to be the only one who could make a decision. But "Mike the owner" was always "unavailable" to talk to me. I WOULD NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS VENDOR AGAIN AND WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM!

Description of Work
I purchased a "New out of Box" wine fridge. This fridge was described as "new, out of the box, never used, covered by factory warranty, fully tested"

09/29/2014

Patty M.

The set service man did what we asked for but He clearly did not want to work on the stove.

Description of Work
Hooked up a old gas stove.

05/16/2014

Nicholas S.

My wife and I had a fantastic experience with Appliance City. We came in specifically for a range/oven, although we knew that we were also going to need a new dishwasher in the near future. Mike took the time to show us his inventory and explained that the business has been in his family for decades. First, he showed us the pros and cons of the ranges in our price range. He showed us a large room in the back of the store where they keep spare parts and components for repairs. We mentioned we might need a dishwasher, so he showed us a couple of options and gave us a great price for both appliances that included delivery and installation, and they were able to do it the same day. We were pretty happy . Mike is clearly a and quot;people personand quot; and enjoys what he does. All the employees at Appliance City were really friendly. The store is pretty old and has been in the family for generations, so it was nice to have such a great experience at a locally owned business. Apparently they're going to start a website for buying spare parts, too, but I don't think they've started that yet. Next time I need a new appliance or repairs on an old one, I'll give Appliance City a call.

Description of Work
Appliance City sold us a range and a dishwasher and installed them both.

03/30/2014

BRIAN & EMILY M.

Excellent price and service delivery. Moved owners fridge to garage no additional charge. Also serviced and replace oven and dishwasher at owners expense. Always prompt and quick with on-site service.

Description of Work
Purchased a reconditioned french door refridgerator for the home we were renting.

03/28/2014

Bryan D.

One week after the birth of our firstborn, our stacked washer/dryer quit working. The guys at Appliance City provided a quotation for diagnostics and repair and also for a refurbished used unit. It made the most financial sense for us to just purchase the refurbished unit. The guys took me into the shop and showed me the parts they replace and how they test the used units. Their installation was great. And they hauled away our used unit. I will absolutely give Appliance City a call in the future when our condo needs a replacement.

03/04/2014

Linda J.

Our refrigerator went out unexpectedly, and I needed to make a decision whether to buy a new one (energy efficiency, and smaller size, to fit our kitchen better), buy a used one (less expensive, keeping the money in the community, and reducing the amount of items imported into the country), or get the current one fixed. After much research, and after talking to several people at repair shops and retail stores, I decided the best choice was to get a smaller used model, and eventually fix the older one to use for cheese and wine storage. Mike was wonderful, and was willing to stay a bit later than usual, so we could get across town to look at what he had available. The items he had were clean and in good condition. We purchased a small refrigerator from him, and arranged to deliver it the next morning. I already had appointments for the day, so they were great about working around my schedule. We had the new fridge installed less than 18 hours after we bought it. It is working well, and I am thinking about going back when our washer/dryer need to be replaced. I highly recommend them for their kindness and professionalism. They even suggested another repair shop closer to our house, if we decide to repair our old one.

Description of Work
Provided information and sold us a very nice used refrigerator

02/23/2014

PAMELA J.

Appointment was easy to set up and the technician arrived as promised. Very nice, knowledgeable and I will definitely call Appliance City for future issues.

Description of Work
He explained everything as he diagnosed that my refrigerator was not worth repairing.

03/12/2013

Florence B.

It went extremely well. I am about to go back for another appliance!

Description of Work
When my washer quit, I called Appliance City for repairs. I was told that due to the age of my machine (30 years) and the cost of repair, it would be more cost effective to get a newer, rebuilt machine. When I arrived at the store, I was directed to several available models and surprisingly reasonable prices. I found a wonderful washer which was still being refurbished. After finishing the refurbishing, they brought it to my home promptly, installed it and took the old washer away! The new washer is excellent! Later a tenant called to say that the refrigerator had quit and her frozen food was eginning to thaw. I told her to meet me at Appliance City. She was able to find a refurbished refrigerator with a pull out bottom freezer for about a third the price of a new one. They took the replacement, installed it and took away the old refrigerator. She was really impressed with their helpfulness and courtesy. She loves the new refrigerator!

11/27/2012

Marti B.

Please see information above.

Description of Work
My old dryer was just that, really old. The replacement was one series number away from the washer I have! The serviceman who delivered the new/reconditioned dryer worked unbelievably hard to take the old one out, hook up the new one and if that weren't enough, he checked the outside vent, which was partially clogged. This was a great service for our family for a very reasonable price.

08/26/2012

J C.

There were some problems with the fridge and they were very responsive. Also they were available to answer questions about the stove over the phone when i had them.

Description of Work
I bought a dishwasher and fridge from them and had them repair a vintage gas stove. They were very fair and helpful when problems arose. I would definitely use them again.

01/11/2012

ZAC I.

Called, dropped by, they had a small but adequate selection of dryers, seemed knowledgeable about them. Friendly owner. Lots of repair personnel, who specialize in different types of appliances. All were friendly. The storefront was more like a shop, with no heating. The owner showed me what they had in stock and we talked for a good while about my needs and about washers and dryers in general. They happened to be running a delivery to my area. The dryer was being loaded on a truck as I left the store and was delivered and installed less than 2 hours later. Normal delivery window is 1 day. Dryer was for a rental unit. One of the tenants texted me a few hours later to say the dryer was wonderful. They have a 100 day guarantee.

Description of Work
Sold me a refursbished dryer: White Kenmore Extra Large Capacity, Reconditioned Delivered and installed dryer and removed old dryer for the total price listed above.

Category appliance sales

Thanks for the positive report! Sorry that our selection of dryers was lean when you visited, but glad that it was adequate. There are usually approx 200 appliances here at any given time, however occasionally we can get a little lean on a specific item. We look forward to anything we can help you with in the future and greatly appreciate your business . . . APPLIANCE CITY (Family Owned & Operated since 1962!!!) 4046 NE Cully Blvd Portland, OR 97213 503-281-8811 store Hours of Operation: M-F 8:30-5:00pm Sat 9:00-4:00pm Sun (TBD, By Appt - call shop to inquire)

07/28/2011

Damion S.

They are awesome. We used them in the past. They buy and resell old appliances and they do home repair on appliances.

Description of Work
We used Appliance City to fix our dishwasher because it wasn't working.

06/02/2011

Julianne R.

Oven stopped working, and I was worried I might have to buy a new one. They said they'd send someone out to take a look that day (although they also gave me the non-service-call-fee option to bring the unit in to their shop-- an option I chose not to exercise), and they'd give me an estimate on the spot, at which point I would have the choice of either having it repaired, or rolling the cost of the service call into the purchase of a new appliance from them if the cost to repair was too high. As it turned out, it was a simple fix which they were able to make that very afternoon. Overall, they were prompt, efficient, reasonably priced, friendly, and highly competent. I would use them again in a heartbeat, and have already recommended them to friends.

Description of Work
Gas oven repair: diagnosed and repaired / replaced dead igniter.

PDX Appliance

Call Today 503-853-5784 My name is Ryan Sickles. Throughout my life I have been exposed to the appliance industry. My father has been working in the field for 50 years now and has personally trained me since I was young. I remember cleaning parts from torn up dryers that he was refurbishing since before I was 12. I entered the field when I was 19 beginning my apprenticeship. Being in and out of the field for the last 10 years, taking breaks to further my education in surrounding industries such as construction. I began PDX in 2016 while still under the umbrella of my fathers company as I familiarized my self further with rapidly changing industry. Through my lifetime of being in the appliance industry I have been able to secure a foundation of solid understanding with the old mechanical elements in appliances and also supplement that foundation with an in depth comprehension of the new age (mainly electronic) required understanding that is needed for appliance repair in this day and age.

Knapp's Service & Appliance Repair LLC

Knapp's Service & Appliance Repair LLC is your best bet for quality appliance repairs in Portland. We offer appliance repair for fridges, dishwashers, washing machines, and more. We're licensed and insured for home appliance repair, and we have 14 years of experience in our industry. You can trust us for expert workmanship and professional customer service.

Dell's Refrigeration and Appliance Clinic

We have the experience and dedication to get the job done right! Specializing in Appliance Repair services; We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won't leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Call or click for your FREE estimate today!

2022 Super Service Award