Artistic D-Zine Construction Inc.

Founded 2006 • With Angi since April 2009

Artistic D-Zine is a local family business, owned and operated by Damiel and his son Demren Harnden. Serving the Oregon City and surrounding areas, they specialize in home remodels and repairs, and do all work themselves. Services include kitchens, bathrooms, demolition, insulation, framing (metal

drywall (63)handyman (15)interior painting (13)woodworking (11)home remodeling (10)decks & porches (9)window replacement (8)tile installation (8)plastering (7)flooring (7)basement remodeling (5)siding companies (5)

05/08/2022

Karen R.

Horrible. This contractor walked off the job halfway through it. He moved a wall in my home that was NOT part of the remodel, which caused a weakening support of my attic and roof. He damaged a heater grill. He complained nonstop during the job about the following: how hard the job was, how hot he was, how many bags of debris he had to take to the dump, how many sawzall blades he went through, how he should have listened to his wife, how his back hurt, how stressed he was because his brother-in-law wasn't there to help him the day after he fired him. He was disrespectful and he threatened me. He changed the tile I had ordered with Contractor's Mart without consulting me. He decided the shower door that I ordered was "too short" and returned it, and told me to order a bigger one. The shower door I ordered was the same height as the one he removed. He took a two-week vacation to Hawaii halfway through it, followed by another week in Alabama. When he returned, he simply picked up a few of his things and left. I did complain to the Contractor's Board. The day of the mediation, Damiel pulled his van up to my place 10 minutes before it was scheduled. He sat in it for about 5 minutes, then took off. I discovered later that he called the board to "postpone" the mediation. At this point I am taking this to court, because that is the only way to get money returned that he effectively stole from me.

Description of Work
shower remodel

Work Completed On 02/28/2022

04/15/2022

Jerry R.

We called D for a second job in Nov. 2021 when a water leak in the crawl space caused damage to subfloor, beams, and ductwork in two bedrooms and a bathroom. Using pumps, fans and dehumidifier D worked tirelessly to clean crawl space and rebuild the areas damaged. Knowing we would need new floors, bath tub, tile, and paint we worked with his wife Michelle to design the remodel. With her help we picked out flooring, tile, and paint colors to be used. She was fantastic at helping us make decisions and even shopped for a bathroom mirror which fit perfectly. Although this job took months to complete D kept us informed at each step of the process and he understood the importance of doing the job right. Our floors look great with no room to room transitions. The quality of his work showed his attention to detail, but what most impressed us was his honesty in the cost of the project and working with the insurance company. D fought for us in communicating with the insurance company, saving us thousands of dollars to make sure our claim was treated fairly. We would highly recommend D for any remodeling work in the future.

Description of Work
Water pipe leak and remodel

Category ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor, picture framing, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 11/05/2021

Review for Artistic D-Zine Construction Inc.  - 19379 Meyers Rd, Oregon City, OR - 39700156

03/26/2022

Jerry R.

D is AWESOME! We hired D back in March 2021 after a roof leak caused water damage to a bathroom wall. The leak also caused mold from the moisture in the attic. After cleaning the attic of mold and removing damaged insulation D also tore out and repaired damaged walls. We were so pleased with the work D completed and would not hesitate to hire him again, which we did…..

Description of Work
Roof leak & bathroom repairs

Category drywall, insulation, remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 03/26/2022

03/17/2022

Clayton A.

D- Zine knocked it out of the park. This was my first major remodel job as a homeowner and after getting a few bids from others I felt that D did the best to really see how my space could be transformed. When he did the initial bid he was doing it with an apprentice who was polite and it was awesome to see D showing him the little details that he saw needed done. Some of the things were very obvious to him, but I didn't even notice until he pointed them out. I live in a home built in 1900 that has had too many remodels done by shoddy builders. After he took a look at the space he got back to me in about a week with a general estimate that was very fair. He communicated with me that there were a few jobs ahead of mine and that he would be taking some time off that was planned as well. After a couple of weeks I reached out to him and he gave me a good timeline and communicated dates to me well. He was also very accommodating to work around the schedule of my partner who works from home and needed the house to be free of noise. The wall that was removed was structural to the support and he knocked it down with ease, scraped the rest of the living room dry wall, rewired the electric, did the window trim, mudded the ceiling and walls, and applied trim to the new support, all while being very clean and working by himself. It was a 5 day project that went over the weekend. He is seriously a one man army. Most contractors I talked to would have had a handful of guys working this job. D made it a point to communicate with me everything that was going on, which I really appreciated. Overall, D is a big guy with the personality to match. Honest, hardworking, and really really cares about the job that he does. If your house is a multi-million dollar home or a 300k starter house, you will be in good hands. I would absolutely hire D-Zine again if needed.

Description of Work
Wall demolition, dry wall texture, and finish work.

Category drywall, electrician, plastering, remodeling

Work Completed On 03/10/2022

03/10/2022

K R.

This was the worst contractor I have ever hired. He walked off the job in the middle of it after I had paid him most of what he wanted for the job. He complained constantly: how hard the job was, how many bags of debris he had to remove, how anxious he felt, that the walls were not straight, that he was too hot, etc. On day 3 he fired his assistant, who was working really hard. The next day he complained about how "stressed out" he was that he didn't have his assistant's help. He damaged my heater grill, he went on vacation for 3 weeks, he threatened me, and after he returned from his vacation, he brought the shower door to my house, picked up his things and left. He seemed incapable of listening. He also dismissed, discounted, and denied my concerns when I tried to express them. He moved a wall 1.5" that I definitely did not want moved, as it made a closet on the opposite side of it smaller. The closet was already too small before he did this. He couldn't figure out how to connect the light over the shower so the switch would work properly, but he was unwilling to hire an electrician to do it. He left the following items unfinished: shower door not installed, damaged flooring around shower that he was supposed to patch, hole in ceiling where light should have been installed, non-functioning switch, register over hvac duct not installed, another layer of grout that should have been applied, but wasn't, and baseboard and trim that he removed, not replaced. This guy was loud and disrespectful, frequently talking over me so that he did not hear what I said. I am filing a complaint with the CCB.

Description of Work
Shower remodel

Work Completed On 02/28/2022

12/16/2021

Holly B.

I have been super impressed! Artistic Dzine has done great work and is super creative especially in an old house. He heard what I wanted and brought great ideas for how to keep our bathroom simple and be classy and unique. With my project there has been no problem he hasn't figured out and he's gone above and beyond. He is prompt, super pleasant to work with, very kind and respectful with me and his team. He does fabulous work! Additional:Michelle, collaborating with D, was fantastic in guiding us through choosing fixtures, tiles, flooring, a new tub and toilet for our remodel. She listened to what we thought we liked and brought options and suggested some ideas we hadn't considered. Because of her guidance through this process, we're even more thrilled with the results. She made something super stressful so much more manageable.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

Work Completed On 12/15/2021

12/30/2020

Cecilia B.

I was very impressed and inspired by my meeting. He had lots of great ideas and pictures of past projects. His imagination to see what a space was capable of becoming, his attention to detail as demonstrated by his portfolio, and commitment to high quality work was very exciting and refreshing. Unfortunately, we were not able to go with Artistic D-Zine for this project due to a crazy tight timeline and budget constraints. However, I can say that we really hope that we will be able to work with this team in the future. The experience was very positive, professional, and fun.

Description of Work
Expand the living space under the deck

Work Completed On 12/21/2020

12/23/2020

Leior V.

D was Awesome! before even giving a quote for the work D did more due diligence than any of the other of many contractors we contacted. He looked through the crawlspace and even (with permission) carefully took apart some existing siding to discover that the wall behind it was solid concrete. He helped us think of problems that might arise during the project and how to deal with them in advance so that there would be fewer surprises. D has an eye for detail and put in extra work at no charge to fix up some things that weren't in the original bid in order for the finished work to be perfect. D worked hard and got things done quickly and professionally. I definitely recommend him and expect to have him do more work on my house in the future.

Description of Work
remodel of basement

Category drywall, flooring contractor, picture framing, insulation, remodeling, replacement windows, interior painters, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 12/22/2020

Thank you so much for the glowing review. Your family was so sweet, especially those 3 adorable little girls of yours. I was happy to help and provide them with there own rooms specially made for them. Thank you for letting me add some of my own creative parts to the job to really complete the look. I appreciate the trust you showed in me to get it done right for you. I'll look forward to moving through the house in the future, completing each area and giving you all the home your anxiously waiting for. And last of all, I really appreciate the gift of the AMAZING rare scotch and chocolates!!!!!😁👍

11/19/2020

Greg B.

D was awesome. I received a call immediately to set up a time to get an estimate. He came same day to give the estimate. He fit the job in his schedule quickly. D is a super nice guy and did a very professional job installing plywood flooring throughout our attic space. He's a hard worker and made sure we were happy. I would highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Installed plywood flooring throughout attic space.

Category flooring contractor

Work Completed On 11/18/2020

Thanks guys for the kind review. It was a pleasure working with you. If you have any needs down the road I'd be happy to help. Take care and stay healthy

08/13/2020

Talia M.

D did an amazing job on our deck. We received a few estimates and he had the best price by far. He is very friendly and honest and does impeccable work. He finished our deck in a few days as promised even with some delays that came up as we went along. I would highly recommend D for any construction project.

Description of Work
Deck repair/Re-build

Work Completed On 08/12/2020

Review for Artistic D-Zine Construction Inc.  - 19379 Meyers Rd, Oregon City, OR - 38796793

07/28/2020

Beth M.

D is amazing! When he came out to give a quote, he thoroughly explained everything. No one else did. He kept me informed of everything going on. I am thrilled with the work he did. My back stairs are the best feature of the house! For all future projects I will be calling D and recommending him to everyone.

Description of Work
Front porch levelled and new stairs from the house to the backyard.

Work Completed On 07/20/2020

Thank you for the review. You were great to work with. I am happy to help. Glad I could get done for ya.

04/04/2020

Laura L.

Excellent work!! They helped us with design ideas and choices. Showed various options to help with the design remodel. They documented in estimate all work and called out specific items that may need to be addressed after flooring and trim work were removed. They continuously kept us informed during the job of any issues as well as suggestions for solutions. Our 25 year old house looks beautiful and brand new! Great job with cleanup after remodel. Professional friendly attitudes throughout the project. Would definitely use again! They received the mother-in-law seal of approval as well which is very hard to get!!

Description of Work
Flooring, drywall, paint, trim, window framing, repair sub flooring, furniture manipulation, design help, removal of old flooring(carpet, wood, linoleum,

Category drywall, flooring contractor, hardwood floor, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 04/02/2020

Review for Artistic D-Zine Construction Inc.  - 19379 Meyers Rd, Oregon City, OR - 38479578

Thank you so much for the opportunity to help and for the review. The house looks great and we are happy to help on the next one. You guys were a joy to work with. Than you for all of your efforts to maintain social distances.

12/06/2019

Keith L.

D is a hard and thorough worker with a good eye; he's also a great guy. (Bit of a talker : ) His price was comparable to others, but he broke things down the way I asked, and pointed out problem spots, so I was confident that we wouldn't have surprises and scope creep for the price. He had a personnel mishap through no fault of his own which pushed the work and timing back a bit, but he really hustled to fulfill his commitment to us. While some of the seaming isn't as perfect as we (and he) would like it to be, I know how grueling our job ended up being and the pressure he was under, and I never doubted that he'd take care of us. Would definitely hire him back...D we need to make our basement bathroom sing on a dime! Let me know when you have an opening. : )

Description of Work
Ceiling & wall drywall

Category drywall

Work Completed On 11/18/2019

Hello. Thank you for the feedback. I would be happy to come back and touch up any areas that need a little help. As we both know smooth finish ceilings are very hard to do and sometimes after painting areas can show themselves. So I will have no problem coming back soon to remedy that. You know that I want to do the best work so I'll take care of that. I would also be happy to look at what we can do with the bathroom while I'm there. Thank you both for your patients while I was there. I really appreciate you guys and will look forward to working with you again soon.

12/02/2019

Theresa T.

The owner is just too busy and is not able to set an appointment due to many issues going on in his business. I waited one afternoon last week after he asked me to text him so he could come over to bid on my work. After 3 hours he called to say he would not be able to come over. I finally told him if he was too busy to set up a reliable appointment to bid the job then I was not comfortable hiring him for any work.

Description of Work
Electrical, hanging pictures, sliding glass door repair

Category handyman service

Work Completed On 11/27/2019

I'm sorry you feel like that and felt like you had to give me this sort of review. It's not easy to get to everyone on their timing when a person is busy, I'll agree. And I am usually very busy. Most people are more understanding of that. Then their patience is rewarded when they meet me and see the value my hard work and 28 years of experience brings them.

09/09/2019

stephanie P.

Damiel was absolutely amazing. He did not just 'do' everything we asked for, and fit us into his in-demand schedule on late notice- he went above and beyond in the performance of his work, as well as the execution. He thought through every possible incarnation of how we would use what we asked for, and made modifications to make the additions not just the functional we were looking frr, but a joy to look at, and use in ways we wouldn't expect to need them. Examples include a framing of a dog door in such a way that it's usefulness would allow for cat and dog use. Also, in adding a fenced wall with a gate, he considered how the gate attaches to the garage in an unnoticeable way and hooks open when we need to move furniture or large items into our out of the driveway. Also all the work he did was non-invasive and added not just function, but pleasure in its thoughtfulness. Thanks Damiel! I'd highly recommend him.

Description of Work
We needed fencing of the backyard completed, some small repairs to a grate, and a dog door installed.

Category fencing, handyman service, dog fence

Work Completed On 06/25/2019

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really do always try to do my best and provide a lasting product that I would be proud of in my own home. Thank you so much for seeing that . I was a pleasure to work with you and I will be looking forward to our next interaction.

08/18/2019

Scott C.

Met with D (Damiel) after receiving several bids for the work. We discussed the job and D took measurements and photos of existing trim for matching. Work began and, to be expected, we ran in to a couple snags which added time and complexity to the job. D and I did some joint problem solving and came up with some creative, and in the end, satisfying solutions to the problems. To get the job done, D had excellent help from his son Demren (also known as 'D', but NOT 'Little D'), who did a spectacular job taping and mudding the interior bedroom wall (no sanding required!), and also from Lee who did a great job on the interior finish window trim. D and his crew were all engaging and expressive and a pleasure to work with. These guys get it done and I would certainly work with them again.

Description of Work
Redo front porch pillars with stone cladding, add two accent windows to upstairs master bedroom

Category contractors, drywall, egress windows, plastering, remodeling, woodworking

Work Completed On 08/15/2019

Review for Artistic D-Zine Construction Inc.  - 19379 Meyers Rd, Oregon City, OR - 38052361

Thank you for this review. We most definitely faced some challenges and changes but this final product was very satisfying to see. Thank you for the opportunity to work with you, and we will see ya soon. D

07/19/2019

Debora W.

Damiel replaced all the soffits and edge boards on my 1960s Ranch. It turned out to be a much more complicated job than envisioned because the soffits hid supporting structures--linking the house and soffit—that were poorly attached or NOT attached at all! Damiel attached, trimmed, and added supports to ensure the soffit boards were installed perfectly. His meticulous work ensures that my soon to-be-installed gutters have a straight, perfect surface for attachment. The cost of the entire project was very fair. What I most appreciate about Damiel is the quality of his work, but I also appreciate the good ideas he had to “polish” the job. I pride myself on my taste and seldom ask for opinions; however, he had great ideas that I approved on how to light the front porch AND a trim detail for the porch ceiling to hide the lines where the plywood sheets joined—subtle as they were. Damiel was adamant about delivering an excellent job and did not cut corners. He worked until 9p the final night to do a cladding of my new support posts—the last, cosmetic touch. A last minute decision. Not urgent. Could have delayed for weeks or months when he would be back in the area, but he stayed late because he did not want to leave until the project was finished perfectly. I could not be more pleased with the outcome of the job. It was great luck to find Damiel among all the potential contactors. I hope Damiel is available when I’m ready to remodel my main bathroom or have another remodeling project. It will be much less stressful working with someone who has his dedication to quality.

Description of Work
Replace soffits

Category siding

Work Completed On 07/09/2019

Hello, and I truly thank you for such a kind and complimentary review. I appreciate you listening to my ideas and taking the advice. I t really made a difference in the final look. I'll be looking forward to working with you again when your ready.

06/14/2019

Michelle B.

Great, D had to do a little research to match current windows on my house. They look great. I appreciate that he is into the details.

Description of Work
Install dog door

Category drywall, remodeling

Work Completed On 06/14/2019

02/22/2019

Jennifer H.

We had D remodel our master bathroom and we couldn't be happier. It took awhile for us to connect and get things going, but I was not in a rush and I knew he had another job he was working on. I really only wanted the master bathroom done, but he suggested that we run the same flooring throughout the master bedroom as well to tie the rooms together. And it looks great. He completed the bedroom first so we didn't have to sleep in another room too long. I relied on him for his great design suggestions. The project included new flooring, baseboards, shower (tile work, new door, raised shower head), tile around bath, countertop and backsplash, new lighting, mirror, and painted and raised the vanity. His wife also helped us choose the tile, colors and the mirror to pull everything together. D's craftsmanship, attention to details (he got rid of all the squeaks in the floor), work ethic and good attitude made our first remodel such a good experience. The project took about 3.5 weeks to complete. We would definitely call on D again. Oh, we did! He will be redoing the kid's bathroom soon.

Description of Work
Master Bathroom Remodel

Category ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 01/09/2019

Review for Artistic D-Zine Construction Inc.  - 19379 Meyers Rd, Oregon City, OR - 37728304

07/24/2018

Gina L.

We needed a rebuild of our old medium-sized deck. Damiel of Artistic D-Zine came out the next day to assess what was already there and presented an estimate along with a terrific design. He let us know that the foundation was fully intact which saved a lot of money. There were unforseen issues but all was handled skillfully. He also made changes that made the new deck much more structurally sound. Despite the high heat that week, he and his crew worked non-stop. He was transparent during the process, if changes were needed and always gave cost saving options. It was apparent that "D" has master building knowledge, advanced cutting skills and, of course, terrific artistic design. What's nice, too, is that he and his crew are pleasant, honest and professional. The finished product is a gift that keeps on giving. My husband wants to live on the deck and thinks that it's the nicest part of our house. We really appreciate all D and crew accomplished for us!

Description of Work
Composite Deck Rebuild

Work Completed On 07/24/2018

06/04/2018

Bryan G.

I hired Artistic D-Zine to refinish our back deck & they were awesome. Demren sanded & stained the deck, including all of the detail around the railing. Damiel replaced the post tops for us as well. They were punctual, efficient, professional & performed excellent work. I would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
Refinished Deck

Work Completed On 05/04/2018

Review for Artistic D-Zine Construction Inc.  - 19379 Meyers Rd, Oregon City, OR - 37128684

05/02/2018

Bryan G.

We have used Artistic D-Zine a few times now and continue to be blown away with the results. The last project consisted of a variety of minor repairs and Damiel & Demren were punctual, thorough, professional and efficient. I haven't come across a need that has been out of their wheelhouse, is there anything these guys can’t do? The other quality that separates from another skilled contractor is the creativity & passion that D brings to a job. We asked for ideas to improve an area of our family room, and D not only helped with the concept, but he designed a custom mantle, picked the colors and built beautiful custom shelves. Damiel & Demron take ownership of the job they are doing, as if it were for their own house, and the results show. We are very thankful to have found Artistic D-Zine and cannot recommend them strongly enough.

Description of Work
Custom Fireplace Mantle & Shelves + misc minor repairs

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, plastering, fireplaces, woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 04/30/2018

Review for Artistic D-Zine Construction Inc.  - 19379 Meyers Rd, Oregon City, OR - 37029692