The Design Department Inc

Founded 1995 • With Angi since June 2008

P.O. Box 69

Lake Oswego, OR 97034

Pat Sauer, owner of The Design Department Inc., is a Professional Building Designer with 25 years experience specializing in all aspects of residential structures: single family, multi - family, kitchen and bath design, new construction and remodeling. Member of American Institute of Building Design. Owner-operated. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. May contact through phone or e-mail ....

architect (44)home builder (14)home remodeling (8)

09/22/2019

Pat came recommended by the builder we selected who had years of experience working with her over many projects. We really enjoyed working with her during the design and planning of our custom home. She is a great communicator and helped us through a very complicated process to achieve a result that was beyond our dreams. She is very detail oriented and completed her tasks very quickly. Her design ideas were great and she was very patient during the development of the project. I will not hesitate to use her services again and recommend her firm without reservation.

Description of Work
Complete plans for a custom beach house

Category home builders,architect

Work Completed On 09/01/2019

02/02/2019

We focus on planning well ahead for a large task, and this was no exception. We wanted to finish our crawlspace (currently just dirt) into an in-law suite, and also redesign a bedroom and bathroom into two bedrooms and a Jack-and-Jill bathroom. These plans will double our square footage, so they were quite significant. I found Pat here on Angie's List, and the reviews were accurate- she is awesome at what she does! I really can't emphasize that enough. After our first few meetings to determine scope and measurements, we had to have some surveying done, as well as a structural engineer to look over everything. I know that other reviews have mentioned that they wanted their own people to do these things, but I found Pat's 'team' of people to be A+ as well; both for price and knowledge/experience. Although we are still on the hunt for contractors (who isn't? lol) to complete different phases of work, our workable set of plans are ready to go, thanks to Pat and her amazing knowledge, skills, experience, and work ethic. Now whatever contractors we hire will be ready to go with these plans. Our complete timeline for the plans took about 1.5 years, but keep in mind that we plan well ahead, so we were in no real rush. Throughout the process, Pat was ready and willing to meet with us in person or available by phone as we requested and her schedule allowed. She also kept us updated adequately via email and phone. Pat is great, and if I need anything similar done in the future, I have absolutely zero reason to search for anyone else.

Description of Work
Working plans for a remodel and redesign of a crawlspace and bedroom

Work Completed On 11/07/2018

Thank you so much [Member Name Removed]! It was a GENUINE pleasure to work with you and [Member Name Removed] and I truly wish all of the best for you as you journey through your projects. I’ll be looking forward to your construction start and, as always, I’m a phone call or email away to answer any questions that may arise. Cheers, Pat

11/26/2018

Patricia met with us at the house to talk about what we were looking in this remodel. We discussed the scope and budget of the project and the style that we were hoping to achieve. While this was a major project we wanted to maintain a bit of the historic charm of the house. She was very professional, listening to our ideas and providing great feedback. She also provided some excellent references for general contractors and a structural engineer, which was very useful. She delivered a beautiful design, giving our family 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms and a den.

Description of Work
Our house is a small 1920's house that only had 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths. We were looking for an addition design that would give us 3 bedrooms, 2 or more bathrooms and allow us to better use some of the living space in the house (dining room, living room, etc.). The project involved a design to remove the roof and converted attic and add a complete second floor to accommodate bedrooms, bathrooms and a den.

Work Completed On 11/26/2018

11/16/2018

Pat was the most professional, thoughtful and helpful support I've had throughout this entire project. I would work with her in a heartbeat and definitely recommend to anyone working on site planning, mapping and city coordinating. She made the whole process manageable, and executed with thoughtful, clear and speedy outcomes.

Description of Work
site maps for primary residence and ADU

Work Completed On 10/29/2018

11/13/2018

Fantastic! Pat was referred to me from our General Contractor and we couldn't be happier with the work that she performed. She listened to us as clients, and then used what she heard to develop a stunning house that we are very happy with.

Description of Work
Design of new construction house

Work Completed On 11/09/2018

11/07/2018

She was wonderful to work with. Very responsive to my ideas and prompt with delivery. I would highly recommend her services.

Description of Work
Pat created architecture plans for an addition to our home.

Work Completed On 11/07/2018

It was a pleasure working with you and I am looking forward to seeing your new space! Cheers!

07/23/2018

I was amazed at her ability to wade through the descriptions and lists of needs I gave her and come up with the perfect design. She understood what I needed in this building and gave it to me. She also foresaw issues with permitting that I didn't know to ask about and fixed those problems before they started. She had calm and complete answers for all of my questions and I felt supported by a seasoned professional. I had such a positive experience with her that I've been recommending her to anyone who will listen.

Description of Work
Design of an ADU

Work Completed On 07/23/2018

10/20/2017

It went great! She came and looked at the old house which we were tearing down, but we hoped to be able to use part of the original foundation. She listened to my ideas and came up with a design for me. She was very helpful in making revisions to the design that would work for the house and also for me. My home turned out great and I love it. Thanks Pat!

Description of Work
Pat designed my home

Work Completed On 08/01/2016

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! It was such a pleasure helping you create your dwelling and you did a spectacular job with your finish selections, it's just lovely!

03/11/2017

We interviewed several architects always keeping our minds open to their ideas and methods. The truth is none were bad! But Pat seemed to be the most interested in interpreting our creative ideas into actionable plans, so we hired her. We were right. We felt much less like she worked for us and far more like she worked with us. We maintained creative input throughout, and she made the ideas, ours and hers, actionable. Between the two jobs there was certainly no shortage of details but Pat's knowledge of design, structure and Portland's building codes, kept the road to accomplishing this feat clear. She was always cooperative, available, creative and delightful. We loved her work, sincerely liked her as a person and would highly recommend her with confidence.

Description of Work
About a year after purchasing a second home in Portland, my wife and I decided it was time to improve it two ways: a dormer bathroom on the upper level and a one bedroom ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) in the basement, The intention was to do both jobs at once thereby keeping the house out of commission for less time overall. Before delving into the endless process of choosing all the finishes for the projects, we needed to find an architect.

Category remodeling,architect

Work Completed On 10/04/2016

01/29/2017

Pat was very good at dealing with my mother-in-law and wife, who are very visual and needed to see sketches. She came over several nights to understand what we wanted. The end result is a very nice 800 SF ADU that is very efficient in the floor plan and looks like a mini main house. We have received so many positive compliments from neighbors. Additionally, we had Pat walk the prints through the maze of the Portland permitting process. Our neighbors who also were building and ADU did not do this and it took them twice as long to get permits and they had to take off a lot of work. I highly recommend this service.

Description of Work
Design our ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) - detached 800 SF house for my mother-in-law on our property that had to match the existing house. Walk our permits through Portland permitting

Work Completed On 04/15/2016

Building design, planning, additions, remodels, new home construction, kitchen,bath design, construction drawings,blueprints

Landscape design.