We accept remote payment

Ground Zero Storm Shelters

Founded 2001 • With Angi since November 2009

4600 Independence Rd

Perry, OK 73077

Four generations of our family have been involved in our storm shelter business. From start to finish—the design, the fabrication, the warranty work, installation and sales. We have installed tornado shelters in the following states: Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Iowa, Illinois, North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, South Carolina and Virginia. Additional phones numbers - (405) 880-1351, (580) 336-1351. Additional DBA - Ground Zero Shelters, Co. Additional fax - (580) 336-1356....

08/20/2018

Eddie L.

It never happened they call me to set appointment never show up never call back

Description of Work
Hurricane shutters

Category garage builders,hurricane shutters

Mr. [Member Name Removed], I'm sorry but I don't think you have the right business. We do not do hurricane shutters in any state. We are an Oklahoma based business and we build Tornado Shelters and install them. I'm sorry but I believe you have made a mistake. Could you please remove your comment? Thank you, Melanie Johnson Ground Zero Shelters, Co 918-399-3069

08/12/2018

Jeff L.

They let us know that they did not do Hurricane shutters.

Description of Work
No work was done.

07/21/2018

Stephen C.

They were not interested in doing the job.

Description of Work
Ground up build

Category garage builders

[Member Name Removed], I sent you a response letting you know we do not do construction or roofing. We are tornado shelter manufacturing company. I'm sorry you felt that that response served to give us an "F" rating. Thank you, Melanie Johnson Ground Zero Shelters, Co [phone number removed]

05/02/2018

DAVID D.

Perfect. I enjoyed getting to sit in the storm shelters at their showroom to help with size selection. After signing up for the install, they connect you to an online portal to manage the contract and to update building permit number, etc. Installation was prompt and clean.

Description of Work
Install storm shelter in garage floor

Category garage builders

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you. Sincerely, Melanie Johnson Ground Zero Shelters, Co 918-399-3069

05/16/2017

Linda W.

Great! Would recommend to a friend .

Description of Work
Installed above ground storm shelter in garage.

05/10/2017

Tony & Cindy F.

Our "only" negative comment about Ground Zero Shelters is that they do not come to a persons residence to give the sales pitch and demonstration. You must go to their showroom or see their product at a home show. This being said, we were extremely happy with the sales experience, reminders and installation of our shelter. They called about 10 days prior to the installation for a reminder, their installers called the day before and the morning of the installation to remind us that they would be at our home at the designated time. They showed up as promised and were completed with the installation in less than 1 1/2 hours time! Thank you Ground Zero!

Description of Work
Purchased and had installed an above ground "safe room"/storm shelter in the spring of 2017. My spouse and I both work for an agency that provides disaster recovery services. We both worked the May, 2013 Moore Oklahoma Tornado Disaster for an extended period of time. This is where we observed multiple above ground shelters that survived the devastation. Contemplating having a shelter installed for the past few years, we finally decided on the "Ground Zero" 4' x 8' above ground storm shelter, which was recently installed! Thank you Ground Zero!!!

03/27/2017

Karla K.

Great product. I'm safe, finally :) yea!!

Description of Work
Garage Storm shelter

Category garage builders,hurricane shutters

11/16/2016

Brian Z.

The original shelter installation went fine, the contractors were on-time and did a quality job. Our issue came with the customer support after installation. About a year after installation we started to notice multiple areas around the shelter accumulating rust. We asked for help and it took almost a YEAR (and multiple attempts) to get someone out to our house. The following is a brief overview the day that the 'painter' showed up. I received a phone call from JC (maybe AC?) about 8am stating that he was on his way to our house. I told him please don't come before 9am because we had other obligations to full fill that morning, which he agreed to do. He arrived at 8:30am. His untimely arrival greatly upset us because it disrupted our whole day. (Side Note: JC also did not come prepared to perform any maintenance on the shelter. He did not have a flashlight, mask, goggles, paint primer, painters cloths, or any stenciling protectors. It was apparent that he was not intending to help us address any of our issues with the shelter.) He informed me that the rust on the shelter was typical and went on the explain that steel oxidizes and ALL of the shelters have this happen (sounds like a quality control issue). We also had a yellow stain on the bottom of our shelter, which we inquired about, but is response was "I don't know". I told him that these types of defects shouldn't be 'typical' after only a year and there were some parts of the shelter that were bare (no paint) from the day of installation (mainly the sliding door handles). Then he said something that blew me away, "He was not legally authorized to work on our shelter." Why send someone out that had no intention or authorization to help address our issues? We argued for a while but after sensing that it was mostly useless I asked what he could do.. he said he could leave some spray paint that I could address the issues myself. He left a can of paint at our house right in front of the garage door, which my wife I had to remove before she could pull the car into the garage (another little thing that just made our day). That evening I addressed the issues with the shelter myself.

Description of Work
Tornado shelter install and follow on mainteance

07/23/2016

Julie F.

The comopany came on time and worked quickly. The main problem with installation was the condition of my driveway. They ask if the cement truck could back up in the driveway. Being not very experienced with this, I told them ok. This left my driveway with severe cracks. Now three years later, the shelter is rusting on the inside. I can only imagine what the part in the ground looks like. I called and ask for warranty service. They said that the rust was due to leaking. This shelter is in the garage! There has never been any water in the garage. They said that this is maintence that I should have done according to maintence guide that I received at installation . I did not receive a maintenance guide at instillation. The only things covered in the warranty is floating up and the latch/rollers. The maintenance guide was then e-mailed to me. It said to spray paint the rust with Rustoleom paint. My advice would be to use a company that uses galvanized metal or polyurethane for the shelter.

Description of Work
Storm shelter installed

01/25/2016

Brian B.

Ground Zero did a top-notch job from start to finish! It is rare these days to be inspired to write a positive review, so let me dive in with the details: 1. Sales - I visited their showroom in South OKC. Alicia was very friendly and knowledgeable about the shelters. I'm an engineer by trade and had many geeky engineering questions; Alicia was able to answer every question I had about the construction and design. She walked me through how the entire process is handled, and even described OKC's building permit process. Was so impressed that I made the purchase on-the-spot. The price I indicated ($2300) was a sales price for the "smaller" shelter, so your price may vary. 2. Permits/Pre-Install: Ground Zero provided pre-filled forms for the building permit. If you live in OKC you can go online and apply, then fax the forms. They (the City) will call you back for your CC number and give you the permit number (which you provide back to Ground Zero. Ground Zero people followed up with me four days before install to ensure that everything was on-track. 3. Installation: Here is where Ground Zero hit it out of the park. I have to admit I was nervous about the install, as I've had more than a few installations that were total nightmares. My installers - Raul (Installer) and Xavier (Helper) were on time, ready to start immediately, and were very polite and professional. Since I had a Pre-Tensioned Slab we had to call Suncoast to cut /re-anchor the cables latticed underneath the slab, this caused Raul and Xavier some minor delay and re-marking, but both of them worked seamlessly with Suncoast with the modifications and everything quickly was back on track. Raul quickly had the slab cut and dirt removed within 1.5 hours, he was able to finesse the mini-excavator like a pro, probably could use it to pick up toothpicks if he wanted. Xavier was constantly moving and took care of the 1000 other smaller tasks, Raul and Xavier worked together like clockwork and rarely needed to talk. When they were done they cleaned EVERYTHING, not a spot of mud anywhere inside or on the driveway, Raul used the pressure washer for a good 30 minutes just on the driveway. While Raul hauled the dirt away, Xavier finished the troweling on the cement backfill leaving it with a nice raised feathering that looks very professional. NEVER in four hours on site did I see either gentleman take a break to loaf, they were constantly moving and working non-stop. I'm very pleased with the professionalism of the Ground Zero Team from Start to Finish, and pleased with the final product. No, I'm not a "shill" nor do I work for Ground Zero. I am just one consumer that is tired of writing bad reviews for bad service, and pleased for once to be able to write an outstanding Review!

Description of Work
Installed an in-ground garage Tornado Shelter

Category garage builders,Uncategorized

[Member Name Removed], Thank you so much for such a positive in depth review. We love to hear these positive things about our employees. I will pass the great review on to our GM and the owner of the company. Thank you again, Melanie Johnson Ground Zero Shelters, Co