JONATHAN ALLEN LANDSCAPE COMPANY

Founded 1990 • With Angi since November 2002

736 WINMAR PL W

Westerville, OH 43081

2 EMPLOYEES. OCCASIONALLY USES SUBS. COST IS DETERMINED BY THE JOB. NO TRAVEL CHARGES NO SERVICE FEES....

07/13/2021

Steve H.

Timely work, daily cleanup, pricing fair.

Description of Work
Remove old plantings and replace

Category landscaping, lawn service

01/07/2021

Lisa H.

Jonathan was extremely professional. I told him what I had in mind and he gave me some options on each of my projects. Jonathan explained what he was going to do and completed each project within a short time frame. The River Rock beds, landscaping and Natural Stone wall rebuild look great. Also, my family is really enjoying the amazing looking Firepit he built. I will use Jonathan again for my future projects.

Description of Work
Natural Stone wall rebuild, River Rock beds, Landscaping, Planting and building a round Firepit

Category landscaping, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

12/15/2015

Kenneth F.

It went very well. Jonathan explained his project proposal well, and set it up as a two-phase approach if I needed to do part now and part later (we did both phases). He was upfront about the need to work my project in conjunction with other in-progress work, but still completed the work in the general time frame he estimated.. Jonathan kept us in the loop as the project moved along, so we knew what to expect. He made a slight modification to the wall - did a good job of talking through it to make sure we got what we wanted. We had a couple of minor add-ons to the project. They were very reasonably priced, no big surprises. I have seen Jonathan's work in the neighborhood since moving here a couple of years ago, and know his customers are happy with his work, so I did not look for competing bids. The job looks great! One neighbor has already commented on the "dramatic change to our home's curb appeal." Nice guy with great ideas and quality of work! I'd recommend Jonathan Allen to anyone considering landscape work.

Description of Work
Built a low decorative wall. Landscaped the enclosed area with a mix of decorative trees and plants. Added topsoil and seeded part of the yard.

Category landscaping, tree service

03/03/2014

Robert G.

Very pleased with Johnathan's service. Assisted with the selection of stone, installed over a period of a week. Very pleased and would highly recommend Johnathan. I hope to use his services to install stone patio this spring/summer

Description of Work
Built a retaining wall along the length of my driveway - hauled away old wall

Category landscaping, hardscaping

01/13/2014

Charlene G.

It went quite well. I have used Jonathan Landscaping before he always does a great job. He has great ideas, and is very knowledgable On the best approach to implement. He leaves the work area very neat at the end of each day and completely clears the area at completion of the job.

Description of Work
Laid a paver patio around my deck. He designed it to align with the lines of the deck. The patio and deck compliment each other. He also landscaped my front flower beds in the summer

07/26/2013

VALERIE O.

Jonathan Allen Landscaping first caught my eye with the work he did on the median for the Forest Park entrance. I'd always admired it. In preparation for my birthday celebration at my home, I belated thought about my front yard, I wanted to improve the curb appeal of my home. Jonathan Allen is a professional landscape artist. However, my current budget would not allow for his impressive design. I'm very appreciative for the scaled-down version that fit my budget much better. Also, he was very generous to me by finishing the work on an extremely tight deadline. I have received many compliments for the work Jonathan did in my front yard. Now, my curb appeal fits in better with my neighborhood. I have very little knowledge of plant care and need maintenance information. So, I'm very grateful for Jonathan Allen's advice and expertise. I look forward to using Jonathan Allen Landscape to complete his design for my home.

Description of Work
Created landscape design in my front yard. Made plans for landscaping work in my back yard.

Category landscaping, lawn service

07/26/2013

Matika G.

Initially things looked to be great, however when I went to complete the wall later that month I discovered several things. The wall is not square, and at least 2 other people advised Mr. Allen of that. He says it looks "90% right" to him. Mr. Allen, stated the wall was 90% correct and I should not complain because I only had to pay $2000. He then stated, "Geez...I only made $800 in profit on this job". Mr. Allen also refused to correct the problem with making the wall squared, and refused to put the caps on top of the wall to hide the imperfections (which is the only way of completing) without me paying $350. He has also stated this wall was "custom built" for him to finish, and he never told me that from the beginning. He has refused to correct the problem. He wants me to pay $350 extra to fix the mistakes or "Hide" the imperfections. The only way to actually straighten the wall is to take it down and re-do it entirely. Mr. Allen, after 2 hours of arguing in front of a third party began to tell me that "I was only a secretary" and had no right to question his work. Mr. Allen was very disrespectful to myself and the other party that was there to only help explain the problem.

Description of Work
I hired Jonathan Allen Company to install a 16ft by 25ft retaining wall that would later have a patio placed upon it. Mr. Allen installed a retaining wall that, when I went to put the caps on top, realized that was not squared to the house. Therefore without it being squared to the house, I was unable to lay caps in a level line as needed. Mr. Allen also left a large amount of glue that is noticeable on the outside of the retaining wall in many of the viewable areas. When it was pointed out to his attention, he stated that all I needed to do was use a putty knife to get it out, and had he been hired to complete the remaining pieces of the patio, he would have done it. At this time, the wall seems to "bowing" in and out in several areas, along the with brick that seem to be crumbling on the edges and corners.

Category hardscaping

The issue is not the wall block is that the member was unable to install the caps on top of the wall from lack of experience, it takes years of experience to qualified you as a wall builder and paver installer. I did not think it was necessary to rebuild I told the member, after she threaten to sue me if I didn't rebuild the wall, so I begin to take a picture of proof of work, she jump in front of my camera and kick me off her property.

05/10/2013

Diane S.

Put in underground piping that brings water ou to alley area ~ works great. Reseeding completed.I spoke to Jonathan about mulching area around stepping stones and am waiting for that to be completed ~ may have pavers placd in future. I have used Jonathan for over 10 years.

Description of Work
Flooding in back yard with rains

09/27/2012

DONNA C.

The project as a whole went well. The final outcome was what I requested and expected. The walls are attractive and well built. We did have a difference of opinion about the appropriate depth to bury the drain pipes. After checking with the company that sold him the pipe, he buried it a bit deeper as I requested. Jonathan always cleaned the area up before leaving after each day of work which I appreciated. The project did take a bit longer than I expected since he was working on projects for other people while he was doing mine. Sometimes he worked partial days. I never knew exactly when he'd be there. It was not a big problem for me as I was not in a particular hurry to have the job done. The only real problem I had with Jonathan was an issue of communication. He gave me a detailed estimate according to the work I wanted done and then tried to convince me that I needed him to do additional work at more cost. He was very persuasive to the point of being pushy. That made me uncomfortable. Also, he hauled a small amount of old stones away for me without making it clear to me how much that would cost. At the end of the project he tacked on an amount that I felt was a bit high. I resolved that by giving him an amount somewhat less. He graciously accepted that amount. I do recommend that future clients be sure to get prior estimates for all work so that the amount to be paid is very clear from the beginning.

Description of Work
Jonathan built two low retaining walls, one along either end of my 20' X 10' patio. He also burried perforated PVC pipes on the outer sides of the walls to catch surface water and drain it away from the patio. In addition, he filled in top soil behind the retaining walls in preparation for plantings.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

10/29/2010

KEVIN & JENNY M.

They were very good. They were responsive when they came out and gave me a quote as well as when they came out and did the work. They did a pretty good job. I don't remember exactly how much I paid but I didn't think their price was any higher than other service providers. Their price was competitive. I have not been able to afford for landscaping work in the past few years and if I could, I would definitely use their services again.

Description of Work
I have used the services of Landscape Design by Jonathan Allen four years ago for edging the flower beds and mulching.

Category landscaping, lawn service, tree service

05/24/2010

BRYANT H.

He does work for the common part of our neighborhood. He is professional and always does a good job. It looks really nice.

Description of Work
I use Landscape Design By Jonathan Allen for landscape design.

05/19/2010

MICHAEL & ARLENE A.

Jonathan Allen is funny, upbeat, outgoing, punctual, energetic, strong and neat. He came highly recommended. We ended up with a lovely, straight, well mulched hedge. Unfortunately, the last taxus is planted right up against a fence. He put a lovely curve into the line of the renovated planting bed, and did a nice job of transplanting my two viburnum shrubs there. But the soil doesn't drain well because he left the heavy clay soil, adding a thin layer of Soil Plus topsoil and mulch. During the interview, Jonathan asked to see the estimate given by the large, established landscape company. He assured me he would do everything on their list — planting the hedge, edging, mulching, moving shrubs and renovating the rear planting bed. He agreed to use taxus plants from the landscape company's wholesale nursery. In addition, he would plant three flats of annuals and edge a larger area, and he would do it for $2050 instead of $2378. I was at work much of the time Jonathan worked at my house. Demolition of the existing shrubs and weedy areas went very well. I felt confident about the job and enjoyed working with him. Then Jonathan said he'd been to the landscaper's nursery and their taxus "looked yellow." He said he was visiting different nurseries to find me better shrubs. There were many conversations along these lines. I insisted he get them from the nursery originally promised. After the renovated planting bed was completed, I dug into it to move some of the annuals and was furious to find heavy clay soil. I take responsibility for poor communication here. "I'll give you a raised bed," Jonathan had said in the interview, but he meant the new bed would be taller. Also, his contract specified 1 yard of new topsoil, and had I asked how much soil that was, I would have realized it wasn't nearly enough to remake the bed. I was also at fault for not noticing that Jonathan didn't put removing the existing soil in the contract, as in the other estimate. Before he left, Jonathan checked the flow coming from the soaker hoses and told us to leave the water on for four hours. This resulted in a huge muddy mess.

Description of Work
Planting a taxus hedge (23 plants), edging, mulching, moving shrubs and renovating a rear planting bed.

11/14/2008

KATHRYN P.

I had no complaints about his services. I thought his prices were very reasonable for the work that he did.

Description of Work
He did some landscaping for me, walkway, patio and a driveway. Took out some trees and beds for me.

Category landscaping, tree service, hardscaping

01/17/2008

DEBRA W.

For the past six years Jonathan has turned my yard around from a rag-tag mess to a beautifully landscaped property. He returns twice a year to maintain and update. I'm very, very pleased with this company and with Jonathan.

Description of Work
I have used Jonathan as a landscaper for six years now and have always found his work to be exceptional, his attitude very positive and his demeanor very congenial. He has always done what he said he would do with great skill and dispatch. As a footnote, I have to say that he cleans up after his work better than any landscaper or contractor I have ever used.

09/06/2007

DEEPA P.

We wanted the landing flushed against the sliding door & he even made a pencil marking to show before the work began where we agreed to put it. Now he's refusing to do it that way & has told us it's not going to go there. He also said the project would be finished on one Friday & now he's stated it's going to be after two weeks from that Friday. One day he came out with a friend, and Jonathan (the owner) worked around five hours but his friend only worked about couple of hours, with both of them bickering over some issue most of the time. Then he told us he needed a 50% deposit right away, but since he was unwilling to correctly lay the steps for us, we only gave him $400. We don't want to work with him anymore & are willing to give him another $200 for the 8 hours of labor & materials for 1 row of step he's provided, as long as we are able to get out of the estimate we signed. He is changing (from agreed) to a step design that is dangerous & unacceptable to anyone.

Description of Work
The job agreed upon was to remove our old pavers, re-dig & re-lay the patio using the existing pavers. He was also going to remove the original steps we received from the builder & build new steps for us made out of bricks. The job would also include installing a landing flushed against the sliding patio & two or three 6 inch steps. *Comments: So far, he is very unprofessional. Before the work began & on the estimate we signed, he said he would build us 6 inch steps, but the step coming up from the patio is 9 inches in height (which is a dangerous height). He is also not agreeing on where the landing should be either. He is also saying that the landing will not cover the area where the door opens to, which is extremely dangerous when we are stepping on to the landing from inside the home.

Category hardscaping

Un-reasonable. I walked off the job site with my head down - never in 10 years of business have I been treated by a home owner like this in my life. I was willing to fix the problem; homeowner would not listen to me. I'm starting a new landscape job from Angie's List. Very sorry, Angie's List. You cannot please everybody. Thank you for being so good to me. Jonathan Allen, President.

06/11/2007

JILL A.

I had the plan-Jonathan had the vision! The job went very well. Jonathan quoted me about a week to complete the job and was finished two days early. He kept me in the loop on the progress & wanted my input on various other aspects of the job. I appreciated that kind of communication. Before, I never used my backyard because it was so overgrown and yucky! Now, I am back there everyday, toiling around, and enjoying the beautiful scenery!

Description of Work
Jonathan & crew removed a crumbling (and ugly) stone wall around a tree, lots of old landscaping timbers, and a wooden fence. They then built a beautiful new retaining wall, relaid an existing paver patio (it looked so good, that I thought Jonathan purchased new bricks!), updated a walkway, evened out the yard, added lots of mulch, shrubs, a dwarf Japanese maple, replanted some lovely blue Hostas I didn't want to lose, as well as a very old Clamatis. Amazing difference!

06/11/2007

JILL A.

05/09/2007

MICHAEL B.

Mr. Allen did not call back to give me my estimate.

Description of Work
Mr. Allen said he would get back to me on an estimate and never called back.

03/06/2007

NANCY M.

Jonathan was prompt in returning our call. I believe he came out the next day to give us an estimate. He was very personable and very knowledgeable. It looks great! We intend to use him again for the flowers when the time is right!

Description of Work
We told Jonathan what we wanted, and he made up a plan and estimate. The estimate was very fair. We had a brick "ears" installed at either end of our patio. He put in two Japanese Maple trees; one in each "ear". I told him it looks like Mickey Mouse ears. He put dirt and mulch in the garden area. We also had him install two paver steps going down to the back yard. He also gave us an estimate for flower planting. Can't wait for the flowers!

03/06/2007

NANCY M.

08/01/2006

JOANIE S.

Jonathan has done an excellent job, and I can not commend him highly enough. He finished the job in one day, I think he was reasonably priced based on the amount of work he did. He is polite, professional, and offered some suggestions. I am still working with Jonathan to complete the rest of the project. The next step is to put mulch around the trees, topsoil where needed, etc. We will do the project in stages, as my finances allow me. I would highly recommend Jonathan for a landscaping project. He gets a triple to quadruple A from me. Thank you.

Description of Work
I have a "30 foot no build zone" behind my fence in the backyard. I wanted to keep that area looking nice as well, even though it is on the other side of my fence, as it is still my property. I wanted to have the weeds cleared out, the trees trimmed, and prepare it for my own backyard habitat. My plan is to put a picnic table there, lots of bird feeders, etc. Plant some things that will attract wildlife.

07/20/2006

PAUL & ELLEN MARIE S.

When asked why their quotes showed more topsoil, he replied, "They lied". A day or two before the second work was completed, we had a phone conversation with Jonathan in which he lost his composure, became angry and rude when I tried to tell him we had a problem with the top soil. His voice was so loud that my husband could hear him across the room. The day he came to complete the second work, he never apologized. We are replanting our perennials and replacing his topsoil with Miracle Grow planting soil. The original topsoil is clay-like, develops clods and seems to resist plant root development. The replanted plants have improved. Jonathan seems to be defensive about any questions raised about his performance. He made the excuse for the phone incident as his defending the topsoil delivered as acceptable and that we are too picky. He got two jobs in our neighborhood because of us and he never even said "thank you." We would not hire his company again.

Description of Work
Created a raised flowerbed for perennials on three sides of our concrete patio; planted 8 arborvitae. We were not satisfied with the first work performed. The flowerbed lacked the depth required for perennials. Also there was a disagreement about the estimation of topsoil needed. Two other landscapers gave quotes for topsoil that were not in sync with Jonathan s quote.

07/20/2006

PAUL & ELLEN MARIE S.

06/28/2006

PAUL R.

When I saw so many highly favorable ratings on Angie's List, I saw no need to contact any other landscape company. Jonathan takes considerable pride in doing an excellent job, and in pleasing the person who hired him. He and his two assistants work fast and hard. The homeowner can be assured that he or she is getting good value for the money spent. We have had several compliments on their work already. We were very pleased with their work and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Removed the following: two small trees, 2 bushes, all old plants and flowers in existing landscape bed, enlarged and reshaped existing landscape bed, planted 3 small trees and 13 other plants of various kinds, added 5 yards of topsoil and 3 yards of hardwood mulch, added topsoil and mulch on both sides of house to divert water from from foundation, planted grass where tree had been removed previously.

06/21/2006

LOIS E.

Mr. Allen responded promptly to my request for an estimate. Shortly thereafter the work was scheduled and the job was completed. They did a great job and I would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
Mr. Allen and his crew excavated a portion of our brick patio to add river rock while saving three beautiful rose bushes and adding river rock to that area as well. Ivy had taken over a large portion of our patio which they removed. They also removed sod from an area by our garage, planted boxwood, as well as day lilies, and completely mulched this area.