Brainard's Woodworking For Your Home

Founded 1982 • With Angi since August 2004

Proudly serving the Northern Columbus area with 35 years of experience. I am the owner and operator and received the 2015 Super Service Award. There are no travel charges, no service fees, and the cost is determined by the job. We specialize in Custom building furniture, like book cases, custom

A Service Provider's profile imageCustom FurnintureCustom Furninture

woodworking (231)cabinet makers (40)general contractors (15)door installation (17)furniture refinishing (7)house painting (6)decks & porches (6)interior painting (5)countertop installation (4)cabinet refacing (3)deck cleaning (3)window replacement (3)

06/13/2022

William R.

Derek is a true old world craftsman. His work is detailed and impeccable. No detail escapes his attention. He is easy to work with and keeps you up to date as work progresses I recommend Brainard’s Woodworking for your Home without reservation

Description of Work
Interior woodwork

Category custom cabinets, closet systems, woodworking

Work Completed On 06/13/2022

09/09/2021

Olga G.

Derik is highly reliable, high quality and professional, with attention to detail.

Description of Work
Install front port handrail and under-mount kitchen sink

Category appliance repair, decks, home remodeling

Work Completed On 09/09/2021

02/19/2021

Rose A.

Great! It was a challenging little project but Derek delivered a quality job.

Description of Work
Wainscoting and chair rail in powder room

Category appliance repair, woodworking

Work Completed On 02/19/2021

12/31/2020

Carlos C.

This was the second time we hired Brainard for custom furniture. Again, Derek was careful, efficient, and professional. Finding the railings that matched the other railings in the house was not easy, but Derek managed to find them. He also was careful in matching the color with the other railings. The result could note better. The new railings fit perfectly.

Description of Work
I needed railings in three different stairs in house

Category custom furniture

Work Completed On 10/01/2020

Review for Brainard's Woodworking For Your Home - 5730 Worthington Rd, Westerville, OH - 39117223

12/21/2020

Kyle R.

Derek was outstanding! First, he communicated extremely well during the entire process. When obtaining a quote and performing the work, he would let me know well ahead when he would be out to our house. His price was right on point with what we were thinking a project like this would cost. The workmanship of the built-in bookcases was top quality. He uses sturdy materials and the overall finish turned out great. Our ceiling has crown molding, so he was even able to cut out the existing crown molding and bring it to the front of the bookcases to match the rest of the ceiling. Overall, we were very impressed with Derek and will use again for future woodworking projects.

Description of Work
Built-in Bookcases

Category custom furniture, woodworking

Work Completed On 12/16/2020

Review for Brainard's Woodworking For Your Home - 5730 Worthington Rd, Westerville, OH - 39096803

12/03/2020

Wayne K.

I talked to someone at Brainard's about my repair needs . He said that they don't do that particular kind of repair, but referred me to someone that does that type of work. I have had my recliner repaired by them and am quite satisfied.

Description of Work
swivel recliner repair

Category furniture repair, antiques

Work Completed On 12/03/2020

11/03/2020

Patricia I.

Derek was a true professional! This was a small job, but he treated it as if it were a big job. He called on time, arrived on time, and he did a beautiful job!

Description of Work
Partial handrail on the basement stairs.

Category woodworking, antiques

Work Completed On 10/29/2020

10/15/2020

Carlos C.

Derek did an excellent job. He made sure he knew what we wanted. He swiftly started to work on the first bookshelf. He finished in a few days and then started the second shelf. And, in the end, he built exactly what we wanted. Custom furniture is not cheap, but Derek does not overprice. Among the different estimates we got, Derek was amongst the most affordable. Moreover, he is a very nice guy and very professional. If you have pets, I am sure they will like him as well. In the end, our cats would come to the door to greet him, and stayed around him while he was working.

Description of Work
Remodel an existing built-in bookshelf and build and install a new one. Paint the both in white color.

Category custom cabinets, custom furniture, antiques

Work Completed On 09/20/2020

Review for Brainard's Woodworking For Your Home - 5730 Worthington Rd, Westerville, OH - 38950272

10/12/2020

Nathan B.

Derek went above and beyond in fixing my rotted wood issue on my front porch, and even sealed up a few areas of concern on my garage wood frame. The rotted board underneath my porch door was causing dirt and water to leak into the basement, and was a huge cause of concern for basement water damage. Derek came out for an estimate the same day I called, and even fixed the problem outside his normal hours the day after the estimate. He fixed the problem on a Saturday morning since a heavy rain was scheduled to come in the next day. Derek cares greatly about helping out his customers and doing the highest quality work. I would definitely hire him again.

Description of Work
Replaced rotted wood board under front door frame on porch, sealed outer wood on door frame, and painted wood door frame on porch.

Category contractors, decks, woodworking, house painters

Work Completed On 09/12/2020

09/30/2020

Annie S.

If you're in the market for custom woodworking, start here. Derek was excellent to work with. He was very responsive, receptive to our ideas, and willing to make suggestions where our vision wasn't clear. He is extremely detail-oriented and won't 'call it a day' unless and until the work is done correctly and meets his and your standards. The nook is solid and structurally sound, and the design flows perfectly with existing cabinetry. Everyone (professionals, family, friends) who enters our home comments how beautiful the nook is, and we wholeheartedly agree. Custom woodworking is a dying (if not lost) art, and Derek is one of the few remaining contractors in the area who has perfected it.

Description of Work
Custom built-in breakfast nook

Category custom furniture, woodworking

Work Completed On 09/30/2020

08/28/2020

Lenard M.

It went extremely well. He was prompt in returning our calls, and visiting our home, meticulous, cleaned up after himself, and I could say many good things about him.

Description of Work
He replaced a part of our door frame.

Category doors

Work Completed On 08/26/2020

08/08/2020

DEE AND TIM M.

Very well: Derek did very skillful work, was reliable, etc.

Description of Work
repair trim around house (doors, windows, etc.)

Category contractors, antiques

Work Completed On 08/08/2020

04/09/2020

katherine H.

It is just perfect and it changes the entire personality of the room. Derrick is wonderful to work with and has great suggestions.

Description of Work
New dining room built in china closets with window seat

Work Completed On 03/18/2020

03/24/2020

TAMI D.

Exceptional work. His attention to detail is impressive. High quality materials, no paste board or pressed materials. Spent a fair amount of time drawing prints and making sure we agreed with that plan. Delivered and installed product on time. Works very clean. Impressive shop. Recommend highly

Description of Work
Built custom built in desk, cabinet, and shelf

Work Completed On 02/26/2020

03/22/2020

Laurel L.

I cannot express enough how pleased we were with the work performed by Derek Brainard and his son. The bookcases Derek created were beautiful. Derek paid close attention to every detail, and the work was done in a quick manner. Derek was very careful in our home and very patient with our pets. It was a real pleasure working with both him and his son. I highly recommend Derek to anyone needing any woodworking project, and we hope to work with him again soon.

Description of Work
Manufacture and installation of custom bookcases

Work Completed On 03/16/2020

01/13/2020

Cameo E.

Great! Our bookcases and bench are absolutely beautiful. He even finished outlet plates to match! He was friendly, timely, communicative, and reasonably priced. We are thrilled with our new library! Thank you, Derek!

Description of Work
Custom built-in bookcases and window seat

Category custom cabinets, custom furniture, woodworking

Work Completed On 08/30/2019

01/03/2020

Brianne S.

Derek did an absolutely amazing job on two custom built-in jobs in our home (a home office and storage for our children's play area). He worked with us to stay within our budget without sacrificing quality or craftsmanship. He obviously takes great pride in his work, and it shows. He does not take any short-cuts, and the pieces were clearly built to last. He even thought about little details I hadn't -- like reinforcing the drawers in a built-in window seat in case my two children were to push down on them while they were open. I cannot say enough good things about Derek and the quality of his work. If I ever have any other woodworking projects, I would hire him again in a second!

Description of Work
Built-in home office (cabinets, desk & open shelving), and built-in window seat, shelving and cabinets in a children's play space

Category custom cabinets, woodworking

Work Completed On 01/02/2020

11/04/2019

Jan P.

Great! More than satisfied with Derrick’s work! Would definitely hire again!

Description of Work
Custom window seat in kitchen.

Work Completed On 03/24/2020

10/09/2019

Mitchel S.

Great very accommodating and friendly. would highly recommend.

Description of Work
Replaced my plastic threshold for my front door with a beautiful custom made oak piece.

Work Completed On 10/09/2019

09/25/2019

Alfred W.

Took my name and information but I did not call me back. Finally I called them. They did not have time to do the work. No apology given for not getting back with me to tell me this

Description of Work
Repair window frames

Category replacement windows, woodworking

Work Completed On 09/24/2019

09/06/2019

CATHY G.

Derek built a sturdy wood stoop that should last for very many years to come. He tore out my old rear stoop which was sinking into the ground and added footers so my new stoop has a stronger foundation than my previous stoop. Derek also built a new wood handrail on the front of my house. I would recommend hiring Derek for your carpentry needs.

Description of Work
Replaced rear stoop and added a handrail to the front of my house

Category contractors

Work Completed On 09/06/2019

07/19/2019

Emma S.

I would recommend him to all of my friends. He is trust worthy, reliable, he does a very beautiful work. He is a master carpenter and he is capable of wide variety of task. He fit me in to his schedule early in the morning.

Description of Work
He worked on an existing deck to attached railings for me and and made the deck stable.

Category decks, woodworking

Work Completed On 07/18/2019

07/10/2019

ANTHONY B.

We are very happy with Derek and the work that he did. He is very careful and methodical. He stained the wood to match our trim. When installing the handrail, he encountered some issues with the way our wall was constructed which required some dry wall repair and painting to cover the site of the repair. He came back to do this and the resulting repair is invisible so we are very happy. We would use him again for carpentry or woodworking projects.

Description of Work
Installed oak wall plaque with coat hooks and oak handrail