A & B Roofing

Founded 1980 • With Angi since August 2005

1595 Highland Rd

Twinsburg, OH 44087

Additional phone numbers - (440) 248-0386, (330) 656-1641 & (216) 789-7663. Additional contact names - William Buehl & Carol Buehl. Family owned & operated. Additional DBA - A & B Roofing & Construction....

06/12/2019

Kathryn D.

The roof is on, GREAT JOB. The crew that did the job was really a great bunch of guys. All were hard workers, very helpful and wonderfully polite. We are proud of A&B Roofing for hiring these fine people. The A & B Family are professional people who do what they say and are proud of their work. We recommend A & B Roofing and Construction to anyone looking for quality work and a company you can count on. They installed our gutters too, excellent!

Description of Work
New Roof, gutters and power wash

Category gutter repair, roofing, pressure washing

06/06/2019

sharon C.

The work crew was exceptional. They did a great job including being neat, efficient and professional. The office staff were polite, answered all my questions and responded to all my needs. It is rare today to get the high level of integrity and service that A&B Roofing provided. I highly recommend this company, and will happily give them referrals.

Description of Work
Complete Roof replacement

05/21/2019

Nicole B.

Had a great experience with AJ and the crew. The estimation process was easy and straightforward with a quote within 24hrs. The job went rather quickly for needing my house and garage sided and the roof repair was done in a day. They were kind and courteous with good clean up.

Description of Work
Roof and siding

Category roofing, siding

08/06/2018

Gregory A.

I contacted A and B Roofing to provide an estimate for repairing three areas of woodpecker damage on the facia/soffit of our century home. The owner Bill came out on 5/1/18 to quote the job, and I received a prompt email estimate the next day on 5/2/18 which was $1140 to do the work. I contacted the office (the office staff ladies are really great) approving the estimate price and asked to have the repair done. They said they would put me on the work schedule. A two-man team from A and B finally came out to start the work more than two months later on 7/17/18 but only after multiple calls and paying a visit to their offices. The workers cut an approx. 1-foot section of the damaged area out of the roof and left with the piece (see attached pic), presumably to get the replacement piece milled. I received a call from the owner Bill late that afternoon telling me that he could not do the job for the price he quoted me because the milling company had given him an incorrect price to create the custom knives needed to create the replacement molding (he said they quoted him $400 initially but were now quoting him $900). I told him I was sorry, but that was not my problem and that we had already agreed on a price in the estimate before he cut a section out of my roof. Now I have a hole in my roof that needs to be repaired but in order to do that I'm now being told I need to pay a whole lot more than the price we agreed to, and in business we tend to call that a 'bait and switch'. He proceeded to tell me that he was "not in the business of losing money" so there was nothing he could do about it. A businessman myself, I continued to press him and I asked if he was really willing to give up a customer because of this and his response to me was "Oh, I'm not worried about that, I have plenty of other customers". He became increasingly aggressive on the call, saying things like "You expect me to come out and do a job and lose money just because that was the price we quoted you? If I wasn't losing money I might do it for PR, but not when it means losing a couple hundred dollars. What if I just wrote you a check for $200, is that what you want? I've been doing this for 30 years and I wouldn't be in business if I took jobs that lost money." Once I realized he was not going to honor the price he quoted, I asked him when I could get the missing piece back and replaced and he said he would check with his workers and would let me know. I never received a call back from the owner that day (or ever), so I called the office after hours hoping there was an emergency on-call line or after-hours operator (there were neither). I left a VM asking that someone call me back and let me know when I could expect the piece of missing roof to be returned/replaced because I did not want bats, squirrels, raccoons, or other animals taking up residence in my attic now that there was a gaping hole there. I did not receive a call back that night or the next morning, so I had to call the office once again and the office staff told me they would need to check with the workers to see when they would be over. They finally showed up that afternoon and returned the missing piece to me and closed the hole up with a piece of plywood at my request since I now had to take the piece somewhere to get someone else to mill the wood and also find someone to install it. I never had any issues working with A and B Roofing in the past, but because of this incident and the unprofessional manner in which the owner spoke to me, the things he said, and his refusal to honor a legal contract, I will never have A and B work on any of my properties. The owner's actions and words made it very clear to me what was (and more importantly, what was not) most important to him as a businessman.

Description of Work
Repair to woodpecker damage on facia/soffit of century home

Unfortunately in the construction business there are unforeseen circumstances. We did NOT have a signed proposal or a deposit and we did NOT want to proceed with the work without having a conversation about the price change from the lumber company. We graciously offered Mr. [Member Name Removed] $200 for his inconvenience/PR and we patched the hole the very next day. Mr. [Member Name Removed] requested to keep the piece of wood so he could find someone to have it milled. Mr. [Member Name Removed] was unwilling to pay the price increase from the lumber yard.

08/21/2017

Jamey A.

Not good. Mike from A&B wanted to see insurance estimates presumably so he could quote higher price. No other roofer cared to know what insurance was paying. He made statements about insurance companies auditing roofers to prevent fraud which my adjuster discounted. He also made other statements that simply were not true per my insurance adjuster. As a police officer I have to act on more than just gut feelings. My gut told me to question his honesty and when I did my adjuster confirmed my feelings. Simple as that. I had a half dozen or more estimates and went with a more reputable company.

Description of Work
Roof and gutters.

Receiving all F's is pretty harsh considering we never performed any type of work on your home. We have had our family business for over 35 years and we take comments like yours very seriously. As with many situations, there are two sides to every story!! It is obvious that you are unfamiliar with the insurance process. Our salesman worked diligently with your adjuster after your previous contractor only received a fraction of the roof allowance. On your behalf, Mike successfully negotiated to get your entire roof paid for through insurance! You then decided you wanted to haggle pricing with us. The monies that you received from insurance are intended for the contractor - not for homeowner profit. Again, the monies are for the scope of work to be performed - no more/no less, plus your deductible. Installing a roof for the actual insurance allowance is standard in the industry. You sir, as a police officer, took the monies we worked hard for you to receive and choose to hire someone else. The fact you bragged that you sought and received six more estimates truly reveals your intentions. We are very familiar with storm chasers and unethical roofers in the industry and we are proud of our stellar reputation. An F rating is unfair and unjust from someone who didn't hire us.

07/23/2017

Phillip H.

12 years later, 3 other professionals explained how they did not apply correct spacing of shingles; resulted and inferior shingle (paid extra for quality of a 30 year warranty). Results had to have complete new shingles put on and 4 large areas of plywood replaced where had rotted from water damage.

Description of Work
New shingles on entire roof.

We appreciate all comments. However, we have no record of our company doing this roof and question the timeliness and legitimacy of this review. We contacted the homeowner and he stated we did it over 20 years ago and had another company replace it 6 years ago. We have no record of this homeowner contacting our office and unfortunately we are unable to address issues we are unaware of. We communicated this to Mr. [Member Name Removed] on 8/22/17 after reading this statement.

10/30/2016

kim C.

The roof looks great. Very professional job and yard clean up. Top of the line customer service, kudos to Lisa and Billy. Answered all questions and called back promptly. Company takes pride in their work and it shows. We would definitely recommend this company.

Description of Work
Remove and replace all shingles (new roof). Install chimney chase pan.

Category roofing, chimney repair

03/09/2016

Marc H.

Called them on Monday morning and was told they were busy and if they couldn't get out that day, they would be out the next day (Tuesday). Nobody came or called me. Mike contacted me on Thursday to apologize and said he would try to come out if there was a break in the weather. I never heard back from him. I sent him a text message the following week and called the office but never heard back, they just left me hanging.

Description of Work
Nothing

01/18/2016

Joe G.

A&B Roofing was very professional throughout the entire process and was a pleasure to work with. My wife and I got around a dozen quotes to do our roof and siding and A&B not only had the best price, but also has the experience, knowledge, customer service, and quality to go along with it. We ran into a few issues during the siding and soffit installation which A&B took care of at a very reasonable cost. These guys are trustworthy and I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking at a similar project.

Description of Work
Complete roof tear off and replacement, siding, soffit, and gutters.

Category gutter repair, roofing, siding

11/24/2015

Gregory H.

Good quality job. Reasonably priced. Would recommend them. Only 2 minor issues: 1.) They inadvertently took 2 blue tarps of mine that were covering the roof before shingles were installed, but they credited me for them off the price. 2.) The original quote they provided underestimated the # shingles required for the job, so they ultimately billed me more than they quoted. This was due to an extra addition we were putting on the house, which did not exist when they quoted. However, I had offered them copies of the architectural drawings so that they could quote more accurately, but they said these were not needed, so it surprised me somewhat when the bill came in.

Description of Work
New roof with tear-off of original

11/16/2015

Richard V.

A&B provided a prompt and very reasonable estimate, and a variety of options for roof shingle colors and quality. They also referred me to recent homes so I could see what an entire roof of a potential color choice would look like. This was invaluable, as it allowed me to change my mind on color before I got something I was going to be unhappy with. Finally, they did a complete and high quality full tear-off and roof replacement on my 3000 sq. ft. home. Cleanup afterwards was excellent, with very few little residual elements from the tearoff and installation left behind. A bundle of shingles for future repairs was also left for me.

Description of Work
Estimation, proposal, execution of tear-off and new roof installation.

10/02/2014

Eric H.

Bob and his brother were both clearly experts at what they did. They were more than willing to provide ideas for minimizing the amount of work that needed to be done ( and thus my expense). The only issue I cannot address is timeliness. Bob gave me a planned start date pending the weather so he could finish the other jobs. In between we had several days of hard rain so the schedule did get bounced but I don't think that was their fault. The work was done is just a couple of days and everything is holding through the heavy rains we have had since. The work site was kept neat, they cleaned the area after they were done, and the crew kept at it until the work was done. All in all I am very pleased.

Description of Work
Membrane roof had been improperly affixed to the roof and water was able to curl around and get under the roof rotting the insulation and wood underneath. A&B removed and replaced the affected areas including all underlayment and welded the two membranes together. Snow was being trapped between the screen door and storm door out to the roof patio. As it melted the water had no where to go and was finding its way into the house. They cut down the door slightly to give the water an escape route and rebuilt the door threshold to let the water flow away from the house.

07/08/2014

Mark T.

Arnie is GREAT!!! (And his crew.) He and his crew did a great job correcting the mistakes made by our previous roofer. I wish I had used Aand B the previous time so I could have had it done right!!

Description of Work
They installed kickout (a.k.a., diverter flashing) in three locations, installed metal valleys in two locations where our previous roofer failed to install them all the way down the valley, and replace step flashing that our previous roofer failed to replace (can you say "rain was leaking through the nail holes in the flashing from where the original shingles were nailed"!). In otherwords, A&B Roofing corrected a number of errors made by our previous roofer - who had come highly recommended!

05/16/2014

Joe S.

Billy and his office were a joy to deal with, Their price was approximately two thirds of another well known, highly recommended long standing roofer in the area. Billy was the only one to offer a firm price when other bidders would only give fuzzy and quot;contingentand quot; quotes. Aand B was also recommended by two other local building professionals I respect. Superior materials were used, the crew was polite and capable. Service was quick and neat as a pin when the job was done. A quote was provided the same day I called and job was completed within a week or so, only delayed by very rainy weather. I am inclined to hire Aand B again in a few years when the rest of my roof is due for replacement.

Description of Work
Complete tear-off. Replaced decking and installed new shingle, cap, ice guard and drip-edge on sun room roof

05/11/2014

sharon C.

It was amazing how well they repaired my roof. They put new nails in my gutters, and unclogged the downspouts. They proceeded to thoroughly clean up the mess. They were neat repairmen well spoken, and polite. I felt they went beyond what I asked to have done, and the price was good.

Description of Work
I had missing & loose shingles, a loose and clogged gutter, and branches on my roof.

Category gutter repair, roofing

04/16/2014

Kathleen W.

Went well they were quick,efficient, and responsive. Not the cheapest but for what we got it was well worth it.

Description of Work
Replaced the roof and gutters, also did siding for the whole house. We love it

Category gutter repair, roofing, siding

04/15/2014

SANDRA P.

SERVICE MAN ARNIE ARRIVED AS SCHEDULED. TO DO THE INSTALL OF EXHAUST,ARNIE HAD TO ENTER MY ATTIC. REMOVED SHOES! WAS EFFICIENT AND CLEANED UP ATTIC AREA. HE THEN PRECEDED TO MARKED AREA ON OUTSIDE OF ROOF, CUT OUT AREA FOR FAN VENT. I ALWAYS CLOSELY WATCH ANY TYPE OF WORK I HIRE AROUND THE HOUSE. ARNIE WAS CLEARLY KNOWLEDGEABLE AND EXPLAINED WHAT HE WAS DOING TO SEAL THE VENT FROM ANY TYPE OF LEAKS. I APPRECIATED THAT, I AM PARANOID ABOUT LEAKS! :) WHILE ON MY ROOF HE NOTICED I HAD A LIFTED SHINGLE ON MY SHED, HE ACTUALLY OFFERED TO FIX IT AT NO COST!! I WAS VERY PLEASED. i ASKED HIM WHAT HE THOUGHT OF MY HOUSE ROOF, HE SAID IT IS DOING IT'S JOB. AGING, WILL EVENTUALLY NEED A NEW ROOF.. I WILL CALL Aand B WHEN I AM READY FOR A NEW ROOF.

Description of Work
INSTALLED EXHAUST FAN ON ROOF. AND REPAIRED SHED ROOF TILE AT NO EXTRA EXPENSE.

10/16/2012

Eric S.

(There is an updated to this review if you keep reading) We used this company about 2 years ago and were VERY pleased with their services so we attempted to call them right when we discovered the leak. This was last week on Wednesday. I did call after business hours, but wanted to make sure to leave a message so we could hear back and schedule them ASAP. Thursday, a woman from the office, Lisa?, called me back around 12:30 and said that the guys who do the jobs make their calls in the morning and that somebody would call me Friday morning about coming out. I waited all day Friday, got side tracked in the afternoon and it wasn't until 7pm that I realized they never called me. I left a message and was very polite, but did stress the fact that our bedroom wall is ruined in the corner and it's starting to leak onto the downstairs dining room ceiling, where we just paid to have it painted and that we really need to have somebody out here soon, that we were very pleased with their company in the past, but if nobody contacted us back that we were going to have to come onto Angie's List and find a new roofer. Monday morning around 10am I called - got the same woman who assured me that one of the guys would call me to put me on their schedule for an estimate/repair, that she doesn't make their schedules. I stressed that that was okay, I just at least wanted somebody to call me back, especially because she kept saying somebody would call and quot;todayand quot; or and quot;in the morning.and quot; Here we are, Tuesday at 11am - no phone call and I found 3 new roofers to call today for estimates. ****UPDATE****They have since called me back and just to give them the benefit of the doubt, I let them come out (after having already contacted other roofers). They were not professional and I was amazed at the cost! They were the highest of all 3 and also wanted to do MORE work than was necessary. They also were and quot;guesstimatingand quot; the measurements to be 12'.....well, if it's only 10' were we going to be charged for 12' since that's what they wrote down on our quote? They barely spent any time on the roof and when the manager told the other guy to go back up and measure to make sure, he never did. When they wrote out the quote I called him out on it and said, and quot;well, are you sure it's 12'? You didn't go back up and measure.and quot; He just said, and quot;well, it's about 12', give or take.and quot; The other thing that was over the top for me is the first time I ever received a call back from them right away was the morning following the afternoon that they were here - wondering if we wanted to move forward with the work! (a voice mail was left for me) I didn't call them back and mistakingly picked up the phone the very next day when they called yet again. Not realizing it was them, I had to listen to her ask me if I received my estimate and I told her that he handed it right to me. She could tell by my tone that I was less than impressed and said and quot;oh, I didn't know you were there when they came, I just wanted to make sure you got it.and quot; Funny, her voice mail the previous day stated that they wanted to know if I wanted to move forward and schedule them to come do the work. NOT impressed with them, whatsoever.

Description of Work
We discovered a leak in our roof when all of a sudden the corner of our guest bedroom started to peel away. The entire corner of that room will need to be replaced and it has started to go downstairs into our dining room which we just paid to have painted about 2 months ago.

07/08/2012

Mary Jane J.

A and B Roofing did a very good job overall. They removed my old skylights and installed the new ones with a minimum of damage to the inside ceiling, were friendly and professional, and seemed to have cleaned up well on the outside. I have had no leaks or issues with the skylights since installation. There was only one concern that I had. As I was walking through the grass on that side of the house, I felt a pain in my foot. Fortunately, I stopped myself from putting my full weight down until I looked at my shoe. There was a roofing nail that penetrated the sole of my shoe. I was not upset with the roofers at that point, as I understand how a nail could be missed in the grass. However, as I stood there looking around, I found 41 other nails in the grass. I can excuse a couple, but 42 nails is way too many. If I could see them with a little effort, so could they. I notified their supervisor of this and hopefully they will be more careful in the future.

Description of Work
A & B Roofing replaced 2 skylights for me. I had fired a previous company because they were not doing the job in a timely manner, but A & B was prompt in assessing the job, sending me a proposal, and scheduling the work after I sent them a 10% down payment. They were lower bidders than another contractor who submitted a proposal and impressed me as more experienced with the installation of skylights.

Category skylights

06/28/2012

Lee G.

Did a great job keeping the materials out of our flower beds and yards, spent a fair amount of time after the job cleaning up. We found a couple issues with a gutter, a ripped screen, and a window well on our basement cover was cracked. We made one phone call and the very next day, these guys were out here fixing it, knocked on the door when finished and made sure it was fixed to my satisfaction. Since this was the first time I had gone through this, I had a lot of questions, they were very patient and took their time to answer my questions so I understood what they were doing. I would recommend them to a friend, which I have done, and I would use them again. Overall, we are very satisfied with the work and the service once the work was completed. It has now been several months since the work was done. As you can imagine, you never know if a roofer has done good work until after the first rain. We have had several very windy, severe rain storms early after the work was completed. We have also had some very windy nights with no rain. I went out and inspected the roof from the ground and any dormers which had a view of the shingles and I see absolutely no problems.

Description of Work
They did a total replacement of our roofing shingles, a complete tear off down to the wood.

03/03/2012

Leo P.

They were very friendly and easy to work with. I would use them again.

Description of Work
I had some roofing work done.

01/09/2012

Mark B.

Work was done quickly - too quickly. I expected them to follow the standard installation procedures described on Leaf Relief's website. Support brackets were not used and end pieces were not formed or bolted down. After I showed them pictures, they came and secured the guards with more screws.

Description of Work
installed gutter guards

Category gutter repair, roofing

01/09/2012

Mark B.

Roof done in one day. Had to return several times to support boards at the peak of the roof which had been cracked from weight of materials and/or workmen stepping on the edge of the sheeting (one worker broke threw one board).

Description of Work
Complete tear off and replace shingles. Replace skylight.

Category roofing, skylights

11/04/2011

Michael W.

The job went well. The gutters look good. The problem was the next summer one gutter leaked at one end and water damaged our house. I called and talked to Kelly at least 5 or 6 times. She promised that Tony would call me and talk about repairing the gutter. I never got a call back. I never complain about a problem, but I rate service on how the problem is addressed. Aand B Roofing failed miserably.

Description of Work
Replace all gutters and downspouts.

Category gutter repair

10/01/2011

DAVID L.

They were here at around 7 am in the morning and they were done in the afternoon. They did not stop and finished it in about 6 hours. They cleaned up after themselves. They were very hard workers and very polite.

Description of Work
They took off our old roof and put a new one on.