Matt’s Home Improvements

Founded 1993 • With Angi since May 2006

Owner operated. Occasionally uses subs. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charge. No after hours charge. Additional DBA - Matt's Home Improvements have been. Servicing Cuyahoga County and surrounding areas since 1993. We provide whole house renovations, repairs & room additions. No Job is too big, or too small. We look forward to earning your business.

3.8

Leslie O.
05/06/2017
Matt was hired by me to complete a list of work to rehab a house in the Cleveland area. He disappeared at one stage telling me about a family emergency that we now know to be a lie. He then disappeared again failing to finish the job. He has been successfully sued with a judgement of $80K against him (included costs etc. etc.). Of course he has nothing in his name including bank accounts. Stay away from him!
Description of Work
Building work for a flip
Category
handyman service, remodeling, garage builders, home builders, woodworking
Gene G.
09/14/2015
The drywall is popping from nearly all the joints due to improper installation, the molding is peeling off after being glued on in 2 foot sections, and the tile floors are cracked and coming out due to improper subflooring (not level or installed correctly), grouting, uneven spacing and general poor installation. The tile he put in my upstairs bathroom shower is not level, was installed without spacers (the spacing is uneven as well), and the grout was not done correctly or sealed, so it molded and fell apart within months, literally falling out of the wall. The bathroom shower stall he installed in my basement leaks everywhere, and he cut my main floor joist in half to fit a pipe rather than relocating the pipe, something I haven't been able to afford to repair yet, which has made my house unsafe and the floor above the cut joist squeaky. The shower stall he installed had to be removed as it was leaking from the walls and pipes. Every electrical outlet he touched was messed up - half of them didn't have a working ground, and some were very loose. I had to pay a real electrician to re-wire every single one. It took him months longer than planned to complete the project as well. The quality of his work depends entirely on which sub contractor he hires to do your job on a day by day basis; sometimes he would send a worker home and attempt to (poorly) finish the job himself, like with my electrical outlets and drywall taping / finishing. He asked me for electrical tape a few times while working on lighting fixtures and outlets, then when I told him I didn't have any, he said it was ok as he didn't need it anyway. Everything he touched in my house fell apart within 6-12 months. His people utilized without my permission and broke several of my tools including a yellow floor light and some other various tools. His workers often left messes, and when all was said and done, the house was disgusting and caked with construction dust in every room and in the vents and furnace (as they left the AC on and let the vents circulate while drywalling, also costing me about $500 in furnace cleaning repairs immediately, and another $500 for vent cleaning I haven't been able to afford yet). His workers were not careful with my wood floors and damaged them with scratching by moving around dirt and construction material directly on the wood floors (not cleaning up and not taking off shoes or cleaning shoes or wearing shoe covers).
Description of Work
Drywalled basement walls and ceiling, added shower stall in basement, refinished 1st floor bathroom with tile in shower and floor and new drywall, re-did electrical outlets throughout house, tiled kitchen floor, installed new lighting fixtures throughout house.
Category
contractors, ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, lighting, masonry, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, basement remodeling
arthur S.
09/08/2015
and bring them back to operating condition. I may it clear I would pay him for a service call. He scheduled a date and time that I agreed to. He didn't show, he didn't call, he didn't write.
Description of Work
Matt installed heating cables on the roof approx. 3 years ago under an Angie's List promotion. They worked for 2 years but this past winter portions became detached, and the back of the house portion didn't work at all, causing water damage. I contacted Matt to reattach the cables
Category
masonry, roofing, water damage restoration

We apologize for missing our appointment but we were extremely busy at the time and your information someohow got missplaced. We are offering you a discount at this time for that inconvenience. If our services are still needed at this time please contact me at (216) 376-4778 to schedule an appointment. Thank you, Matt
Thomas B.
04/25/2015
I never contacted the contractor. Forgot I purchased the deal. It expired. Such is life.
Description of Work
nothing. I purchased a deal and never used it. Angie's List keeps pestering me to leave a review.
Hope B.
03/31/2015
It was perfect. Jesse is a great painter, hard worker, meticulous, responsible. Highly recommend.
Description of Work
Painting all molding, trim , and walls.
masonry, interior painters
Martha C.
03/20/2015
was afraid it would go over the 4 hours, didn't use.
Description of Work
Ceramic tile floor in bathroom
ceramic tile
HEIDI D.
03/06/2015
This was a special promotion for 4 hours of masonry repair for $99. When the worker arrived and saw the work we needed done, he stated it wasn't a repair, but a new construction, and it would cost an additional $60. He had us make the check out to a different name than the original business. I got the impression he was a subcontractor, and he seemed kind of shady, but we just wanted the work completed. We needed 3 bricks replaced/reset on our stoop, including one that held the stair railing. He said it would be a pain to replace the stair railing and he thought our stoop stairs only needed a rail on one side anyway. Anyway, we had to go find the bricks to match, and then he worked for maybe an hour to re-mortar and set the bricks. Within three months, the bricks were loose and falling off the stoop again. I feel like the whole experience was a rip-off.
Description of Work
Replaced three loose bricks on our stoop.
Kevin M.
01/27/2015
Super nice and friendly. On time. Job didn’t seem to be done. The work that he did was a little less than perfect.
Description of Work
4 hours of masonry repair.
LYNN O.
12/06/2014
He showed up without paint brushes to paint the room. I gave him a paint brush that I had to help him. My biggest concern with painting was getting paint on our new wood floors. To help, I covered up the floors so we wouldn't have to worry and he could just come in and paint. He got paint on the ceilings and still somehow got it on the floors. I had to call him multiple times for him to return to do the second room. He was supposed to come out the day after he did the first room to finish up, but he did not. When he finally came to do the second room, he hurried through and also got paint all over the room again. I had to repaint the room and clean it.
Description of Work
Interior Painting
interior painters
Stanley M.
10/16/2014
The company did contact me and left a voice mail for me to follow-up. Unfortunately, as I stated in my original email, I had to be out of town for an extended period of time and I no longer need the service. I actually need to get some major masonry work done in the Spring of 2015 and will definitely give Matt's Home Improvement a call so that they can give me a quote if they are interested in the job.
Kent C.
10/09/2014
He did a good job but it took a long time to have him come out. I never met him, he did the work when I was not there. The house was to inspected and it was apparently done properly. He did the work and in time for the inspection. He did what he said he was going to do.
Description of Work
He did masonry work.
Scott R.
10/05/2014
After finding the $99 deal for hour or two of Masonry repair, we were very excited. We reached out and arranged the date of service. Initially the worked look great and we were very happy. But this past summer we once again have mortar falling out and in need of repair.
Description of Work
The mortar around the bricks in our front steps was falling out and in need of repair.
Ronald H M.
09/30/2014
They never gave me any indications they could perform the work, so I decided to cancel this deal.
Description of Work
I purchased a big deal with Matt’s Home Improvements.
WILLIAM J O.
09/15/2014
Never showed up to do the work......but he did take my $100
Description of Work
I have made numerous appts to have my masonry work completed .....Matt would call canceling the appointment and ask to reschedule.....I would agree to a new date but he would call to cancel or NO SHOW . This has gone on for months
masonry

If we don 't show at a customers appointment in a big deal the customer is refunded their payment thru Angies List and we are billed by Angies List for the refund. So in the event we were a no show the company did not receive payment and therefore we were not paid for work that was not provided
Kay G.
09/11/2014
We had to keep rescheduling and never got anything done. This was of no fault of Matt’s. He tried to schedule us for the work and came out to see what what was needed and determined more work was needed than originally thought. He was on-time for this appointment. Matt was excellent in his professionalism in assessing the job.
Description of Work
We purchased the Deal to repair cracked grout in the hallway and kitchen.
ceramic tile
Michael K.
07/29/2014
He scheduled an appointment with us but never showed up, and we never heard from him again.
Description of Work
I bought a Big Deal from them for 1 room of interior painting.
interior painters
Carrie S.
07/22/2014
They were good. The guys were on time and overall it was a good experience with them.
Description of Work
I purchased a big deal for $99 for 4 Areas of Carpet Cleaning & Stain Protection or Deodorizing.
carpet cleaners
Rachel M.
06/24/2014
We bought an Angies List deal for a handyman package. When we contacted Matt he gave us a date a few weeks out that he could do the work. I bought supplies and fixtures for him to put up. I blocked out the whole day and he arrived within a normal time frame. I showed him everything we had prepaid him to do. He walked around our house with me, then suddenly told me he was just here to "see" what work needed to be done that he would come back later. He had not mentioned that to me before. That visit was followed by a series of chasing him down and him canceling on us numerous times. Needless to say, he never came. He took the money and ran! Time passed quickly and I had forgotten about him until I came onto Angie's List to get some other contractors to finish the work he was supposed to do. Run from him. Run fast.
Description of Work
It was for a Handyman for a Day for $299
handyman service, masonry
Mimi M.
06/17/2014
The cleaning was sub-contracted out to someone else, done by someone other than 'Matt's'. Did an okay job.
Description of Work
Carpet cleaning on main floor, upstairs, and stairs.
carpet cleaners, masonry
Timothy M.
06/17/2014
They did our shower. This turned out fine. The bottom of the shower wasn’t cleaned up very well, but as far as the caulking around the edges, it was fine.
Description of Work
I purchased a big deal for $75 for 2 Man Hours of Kitchen & Bathroom Caulking and Grout Restoration.
handyman service
Richard B.
05/13/2014
They did a good job. I was not at home when the work was done but everything was fine. I think the price was a little high for the amount of time it took.
Description of Work
Matt’s Home Improvements repaired a brick work in our chimney.
KIM H.
05/08/2014
I contacted Matt and set up an appointment, he didn't show. I had to call him back, he didn't call to cancel or let me know that he was running late. He has no one to answer the phone and often his machine is full so you can't leave a message. I made four more appointments and he didn't come, he always had an excuse oh, I wrote an appointment on top of yours. He was aware that this was for a home inspection but he still never showed. Very poor organization and response.
remodeling
Terra T.
04/16/2014
It was great. He did fine. He did a nice job. He came in, he did the work. He was on time. The price was great.
Description of Work
I used the "Big Deal" that I purchased for the services of Matt’s Home Improvements. It was for 4 hours of drywall plaster repair. I had an old laundry chute that just needed to be covered up.
drywall, plastering
Gretchen T.
04/16/2014
Never returned my calls to set up the appointment.
Description of Work
Never return calls.
KIM H.
04/16/2014
He never came, but set many appointments and missed all of them. There was no follow up, and there were no calls; he should have called to reschedule the appointment or suggest a time that would have worked better for him. I had to track him down after each of the 5-6 appointments he missed, he never called me.
Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal through him for $99 for Four Hours of Masonry Repair.

A.G.I. Pro Services

Formally A "G.I." Window Cleaning. We Specialize in Window Cleaning, Gutter Cleaning, Gutter Guard installation, Soft Washing of Houses, Roof Treatments (removes black streaks over time), Pressure Washing, Deck Restoration, Driveway sealing, Dryer Vent Cleaning, Handyman Services, and Painting.

Beautiful Basements LTD

At Beautiful Built we have expanded from Beautiful Basements to now include Beautiful Bathrooms and Modern Garage Makeover. We are your basement, garage, and bathroom remodeling & finishing contractor. Our passion is turning your ideas into reality! With 85 combined years of experience as Finishing and Remodeling contractors in Akron, We are Ohio’s leading Basement, Garage, and Bathroom remodeling contractors.

2022 Super Service Award

Ace Custom Painting

21 years experience loyally serving the Northeast Ohio area. Full service painting contractor from interior, exterior painting, deck maintenance, and pressure washing. Phone calls receive immediate responses but unfortunately emails and Angie's List message have a slower turnaround. Please call Jesse to schedule 440-263-1216

Phone

7186 Meadow Brooke Way

Northfield, OH 44067

Other Information

Masonry, Handyman Services, Carpet Cleaning, Interior Painting, Ceramic Tile, Drywall,
General Remodeling