ASSET ONE

Founded 1996 • With Angi since May 2007

Somebody to call when you need help with projects around your home or business.

handyman (32)woodworking (8)plumbers (6)home remodeling (5)door installation (4)flooring (4)drywall (4)interior painting (3)pressure washing (2)screen repair (2)lighting (2)glass repair (2)

01/14/2021

SCOTT W.

Best experience EVER! Bernie got here right on time, brought all necessary tools, even brought his own padded blanket to lay on the floor while working on fan. He was here about 45 minutes and found it was a vibration caused by not having the blower motor physically "fixed" to the metal base. Sliding the motor forward under the fire box and adding a couple pieces of two-sided velcro fixed everything! We also talked about possibly adding a second switch to control the fan instead of it being regulated by the fireplace. But after thinking about it we decided it wasn't a good idea to bypass the regulator. Anyway, after all his time, he gathered up his tools and was ready to leave. I asked how much I owed him and he said. "Nothing, because I learned a little today." He literally wouldn't let me give him anything! What a great guy! We got the fireplace fixed, everyone will be happy, and it didn't cast me a thing. We have a new handyman for all our future needs. And we'll refer him to all others.

Description of Work
Fix blower fan in gas fireplace

Category ceramic tile, handyman service

Work Completed On 01/14/2021

09/11/2020

Elizabeth C.

Excellent service and great response. We would definitely hire again!!

Description of Work
Repair switch for ceiling fan.

Category handyman service, lighting, woodworking

Work Completed On 09/08/2020

08/28/2020

Sarah H.

We were excited to hire this company based on good reviews, then waited around all evening as he had stated he would be there and never called, messaged or showed. If he couldn’t make it that’s not a problem but at least let someone know next time.

Description of Work
Multiple jobs

Category handyman service, woodworking

Work Completed On 08/27/2020

My apologies. She is correct. I made a mistake by accidently missing the appointment. Again, I am sorry.

08/19/2020

Dan W.

Absolutely amazing job. First off the old Fence which they removed wasn’t even straight I gain additional foot an my property line. The wood poplar three board fence they put up follows the property line and the elevation absolutely beautifully you can tell they took time to satisfy me the customer. Even though during COVID-19 material was hard to come by they kept me updated as to the status of my job even though it took longer than I hoped it wasn’t because of their lack of effort it was because of the Lack of material due to everyone in quarantine. I would highly recommend Pickens Fence without Reservation reservation.

Description of Work
Remove an old split rail with a 3 board French. Also put an aluminum fence across the front. Also put a 40 foot privacy fence 8 foot high

Category woodworking

Work Completed On 06/23/2020

Review for ASSET ONE - 125 LINDEN AVE, Newark, OH - 38808919

Thank you for the great looking review but it should be put under fence company reviews. Looks like they did a wonderful job for you.

06/14/2020

Terry L.

Bernie went above and beyond what was expected of him.he did a fantastic job.i would highly recommend him to everyone.he is the nicest guy you will ever meet. Thank you Bernie

Description of Work
Drywall boxed in gas and water meters painted

Category drywall, handyman service, woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 06/14/2020

01/27/2018

deborah H.

Everything was done not only as I had expected but it far exceeded my expectations. He's very honest, has a wonderful laugh and it's just an all-around good guy.

Description of Work
A huge list of stuff requiring a variety of skills all of which Bernie had the talent. This is probably the nicest person I've ever hired for work. He proved to be completely trustworthy and tolerant of my goofy dogs. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Bernie and his skills.

Category drywall, handyman service, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 01/10/2018

11/22/2017

Deborah F.

Repaired within an hour. Made preventative repairs also without being asked. Called 2 other companies who have not yet responded. Asset One returned call within a day.

Description of Work
Closet repair - wood supporting clothes rod and shelf collapsed.

Category handyman service, woodworking

Work Completed On 11/19/2017

11/01/2017

Cicely M.

They came out to the home and measured and stated they would give me an estimate. When I received the estimate in comparison to about 5 other contractors, it was about 2,000 difference. Their estimate was almost 5,500 Entirely too expensive.

Description of Work
I called this company to get a free estimate for a flooring job that I needed done. It was basically 600 square feet of wood linoleum to be installed and to replace it repair some broken subflooring.

Category hardwood floor

Good morning [Member Name Removed]. I'm sorry you had this experience. You are leaving a review for Asset One. Please confirm the name on the quote you have in hand says Asset One. Although I do have an extensive list of clients, I'm sorry to say you are not part of my list. I have not spoken to you nor have I been to your home. So please double check. Thank you. Bernie Spinks Asset One.

09/04/2017

Teresa C.

Very well. Price was awesome. Very polite and courteous. Cleanup was so well that when he was done, I could not even tell he had been there.

Description of Work
Take down and haul away a very heavy and large desk.

Work Completed On 08/23/2017

08/28/2017

Rachel I.

All went well; Bernie was able to do the work sooner than we had thought, and did a good job in a short amount of time.

Description of Work
Replacement of exterior storm/door, replacement of light fixture over dining room table.

Work Completed On 08/22/2017

08/24/2017

Timothy O.

Happy repeat customer here that has hired Bernie for a variety of projects. He has a broad skill set. All the work has been good. The most recent work was repairing an attic fan, but he done a lot of other kinds of work for me. That includes adjusting commodes, replacing a central humidifier, clearing and repairing HVAC ducting, fixing bathroom and kitchen cabinets, fixing door frames, sealing basement walls (water proofing), sealing basement windows, testing plumbing and sump pump, repairing and sealing bathroom floor and shower tile, repairing ceiling drywall. His first job with us was a monster of a project, cleaning and repairing a laundry chute carelessly damaged by Kuhns Contracting during an upstairs bathroom remodeling project. Bernie has earned my trust with his expertise and the quality of his work. This guy makes it a lot easier for me to live in an old house!

Description of Work
attic fan service

Category drywall, flooring contractor, handyman service, plumbing, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 08/24/2017

12/06/2016

Peggy H.

Extremely well. He was quick and did a very professional job.

Description of Work
Reattached our wooden garage steps

Work Completed On 12/05/2016

10/31/2016

Cindi P.

Perfect !!! He is a wonderful person and gets the job done...even as you add more jobs. He is honest and a good worker. He does almost anything you need done. Will hire again ......and again........and again!

Description of Work
hired him to replace current hot water heater....and to take down some kitchen cupboards......and tO install a garage door key pad and assorted other things as I saw they needed done.

Category handyman service, plumbing, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/27/2016

08/14/2015

Rachel I.

Work was done successfully, with no problems. Bernie was pleasant,on time, knowledgeable, and easy to work with.

Description of Work
Replaced shower door, repainted that bathroom. Replaced 2 bathroom medicine cabinets. Installed doorbell.

Category glass repair, handyman service, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 02/15/2015

06/07/2015

Mona B.

He work ethic and performance was outstanding. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!

Description of Work
Ever thing scheduled and other work that added which was a lot of odd jobs.

Work Completed On 05/18/2015

11/05/2014

James W.

His response time was good. he was very professional. Very easy to work with.

Description of Work
Replace a screen door for me and put some floor tiles in the bathrooms.

Category flooring contractor, handyman service, screen repair

Work Completed On 11/04/2014

11/14/2013

Erin L.

He fixed all our little disasters, a lot of detail work. We're quite happy. We are always happy with the work Bernie does for us. He's a great guy. We're lucky to have found him. I have a picture of how he solved the gap-around-the-stairs problem, if I can figure out how to add it. There were inches of ugly stuff showing until he fixed it.

Description of Work
I'll paste the description from the estimate -- it was a while ago, so it's probably a better descriptor than my memory. We had some leftover work from when my dad tried to help us put in laminate floors. He had to leave before doing some of the trickiest bits, there were some bigger-than-anticipated gaps along the walls, and, especially, the nosing that was supposed to cover the edges around an open landing turned out not to quite fill the gap. He problem-solved for us and he gave us options for some of the simpler things -- how much it would cost for him to do it all vs us doing a little. We ended up opting to save money but doing touch-up painting ourselves as well as the painting of some trim he brought in to cover the gap by the stairs. Cut to fit flooring pieces, using extra flooring pieces, to fill unwanted gaps in the newly laid floor 2) Cut to fit then install new shoe moldings along the perimeter of the new flooring 3) Prepare the existing stairwell band board for new trim 4) Install existing bullnose trim at the new floor edge ending at the stairwell 5) Install new moldings trim along the under edge of the new bullnose around the stairwell opening (I've reviewed Asset One before, but not specifically for this job, and Angie's List keeps asking me to submit a review, so here it is.)

Category flooring contractor, handyman service, woodworking

Work Completed On 03/15/2013

Review for ASSET ONE - 125 LINDEN AVE, Newark, OH - 7220939

10/01/2013

Carl D.

Bernie was very good at getting the project completed even when it was more then what we expected. He completed the project in one day and I would have him do work again for us when needed.

Description of Work
Installed a vented fan in the bathroom and installed duct work to the outside to vent 2 fans.

Work Completed On 09/21/2013

09/11/2013

Erin L.

We're always very happy with what Bernie does for us. It looks at least as good as what my dad does, and nothing he's done has broken on us or caught fire or anything. I did have to put B for responsiveness because, while he is usually really, really quick and on top of things (especially over email) he was a bit busier this summer, and I can't lie about that. But a busy handyman is a popular handyman. We love two things about Bernie. 1) He knows about/can do/advise us on almost anything around our house. 2) He really tries to do right by us. Electricians, car guys, gutter-guard guys, insulation guys ... guys are always trying to take me and my husband for a ride because we are clearly clueless, but not Bernie. He's a decent, nice guy.

Description of Work
On this particular job, he replaced a broken glass door pane, fixed the door so it quit sticking, fixed the lock we had installed backwards(just to be nice), and solved a problem with a lighting fixture. I think that's about it. He has also replaced bathroom exhaust fans, done the fancy bits on some flooring, and some other things for us in the past.

Category flooring contractor, glass repair, handyman service, lighting, doors

Work Completed On 08/08/2013

06/15/2013

Michelle B.

Excellent! Kitchen sink wasn't draining because pipe was old and clogged. Replaced kitchen sink drain and pipe and sink drains beautifully! Excellent work, friendly, professional and very knowledgeable.

Description of Work
Replace kitchen sink drain and pipe.

Category handyman service, plumbing, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 04/15/2010

02/07/2013

JOHN B.

Bernie replied promptly to our request for an estimate for work to be performed. When my wife and I approved his estimate he began work immediately and finished the the job within one business day. He was very courteous and professional. We are extremely pleased with his work and would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

Description of Work
Minor plumbing work on toilets and faucets.

Category handyman service, plumbing

Work Completed On 02/01/2013

08/14/2011

Robert A.

The work was done quickly and with no problems. I have asked him for an estimate to power wash and stain our small deck.

Description of Work
1. Installed two new bathroom sinks, replacing old and corroded sinks, including providing the new sinks themselves. Work was done in about 3 hours. Very good-looking job. 2. Got the water line to our ice maker (in fridge) flowing and unit was making ice cubes. Over night it filled up the ice basket with cubes. We are very happy to see this unit finally working.

Category handyman service, deck cleaning, pressure washing, home remodeling

Work Completed On 08/13/2011

03/24/2011

EUGENE C.

This company was one of four that you told me about. I sent them an email, giving them a brief description of the work I needed done and requested they contact me to set up an estimate. They never called or emailed me back - obviously they weren't interested in my business. I will not be contacting them again

Description of Work
none