Hurd Home Services

With Angi since October 2011

5596 Hickory St

Mentor, OH 44060

FOR A QUOTE CALL 216-215-3185 Home About Us Services Photo Gallery Contact Us Hurd Home Services Designed by Hurd Home Services © 2012 using Homestead website templates. Create a website today. Contact Us About Hurd Home Services Hurd Home Services is family-owned and operated in Euclid, OH. Since our company started we’ve treated every customer like they were a part of our family. Other companies may offer similar services, but our services are exemplary, and come with a personal artistic touch. Our goal is to treat every job whether large or small with equal professionalism, systematic workmanship and respect for both customers served and materials used while maintaining a safe and hazard-free environment. We are Insured, State Certified / Registered and EPA Lead Safe Certified Both Individual and Firm....

03/22/2020

Cynthia L.

they wouldn't even come out to give me an estimate.

Description of Work
drywall repair from water damage and painting

Category drywall, interior painters

We respectfully declined this person's project and it obviously upset them. As a business we reserve the right to decline any project request at anytime for any reason. Especially during a Worldwide Covid-19 Epidemic. Also this is very questionable to me how Angie's List allows a company to be graded on punctuality, professionalism, responsiveness and overall by someone they never worked for. For the record another "non customer review" was only allowed to grade on responsiveness and overall but for some reason this one was allowed to grade in multiple areas... inconsistency is apparently the norm at Angie's List now.

01/01/2020

Eve S.

Excellent! Our family room looked like it was from the 1970's. Joe and Matt did a fabulous job getting rid of fake beams, making all the walls smooth (some were smooth, some textured), getting rid of bamboo wallpaper, getting rid of the chair rail and painting our fireplace so it doesn't look like such a monstrosity. Our room is now light and bright! We HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!

Description of Work
Family room remodel

Category drywall, remodeling, interior painters

Thank you for the excellent review. Enjoy your new space.

12/08/2019

Guy D.

Contractor indicated they do not do vaulted ceilings. Waste of my time to use Angies list as the other contractor recommended would not do it either.

Description of Work
Drywall a vaulted ceiling in my garage.

11/12/2019

Laurel B.

Very well...they came when they said they would, cleaned up afterwards, and were attentive to details. He actually took less time than originally expected. The price was very reasonable.

Description of Work
Repair ceiling and wall which required replacing drywall, dado rail, crown moulding and baseboard, repairing and replacing ceiling , and plater finishing around the wall and ceiling repairs.

Category drywall, woodworking, interior painters

Thank you for your review and patience during the projects. Happy holidays. Hurd Home Services LLC

07/16/2019

Judith S.

Joe showed up on time not only for our initial meeting, but for every day he had to do the work. Very neat, cleaned up when we was done and very professional. It took exactly the amount of time he said it would and I paid exactly what I was quoted. He explained what might be causing the problem and what to look for if it happens again. I would highly recommend him.

Description of Work
We needed our ceiling patched due to rain damage

Category drywall

Thank you for the opportunity to work for you and the excellent review!

06/10/2019

Frederick E.

Called Hurd Home Services to make an appointment for an estimate. Joe Hernandez responded quickly, came out, and provided the estimate. The work was scheduled. Joe arrived at the appointed time and proceeded to perform the required services as a true professional. The quality of the work was excellent as Joe is very skilled and is detail oriented. He keeps you informed step by step throughout the job process. Clean up was much better than expected. This was a job very well done.

Description of Work
Needed to have drywall repairs and painting done in a dining room.

Category drywall, interior painters

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure meeting and working for you. Have a wonderful summer.

05/16/2019

Patricia D.

I suffered a roof leak and had damage to my ceiling in my family room. Joe replaced the ceiling drywall, mudded the ceiling and then repainted the entire ceiling. Joe was always on time, very professional and very neat. The quality of his work was excellent and the price was fair. I recommend him highly and I will hire him in the future without hesitation.

Description of Work
Ceiling Repair and Painting

Category drywall, interior painters

Thank you for the excellent review! It was a pleasure working with you and your husband. Feel free to contact me if you have any other projects that need attention.

05/07/2019

Bonnie G.

great. looks remarkable, contractor was efficient, punctual informative and very user friendly

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

Category interior painters

Thank you for your excellent review! I hope you enjoy your new space for years to come. It's always a pleasure working with you.

01/29/2019

Randall J.

Great....not only returned to smooth surface after water damage, but reinforced due to prior work not securing the drywall sections to the support beams.

Description of Work
Interior Ceiling Repair

Category drywall

Thank you for the excellent review!

01/13/2019

Elisa B.

I was very pleased with Joe and his work. The price for the labor was fair. Joe was very punctual and finished the project in a timely manner, so I was able to access the kitchen without much inconvenience. He was friendly and hard-working. In addition to that, he kept the workspace clean. I would recommend him to friends and family and certainly rehire him.

Description of Work
kitchen painting job

Category interior painters

Thank you for the review. It was a pleasure to work on the project for you.

09/09/2018

Cyndi R.

Joe and Tommy were excellent! They were on time every day and worked diligently until the project was completed. The work was done on time and within the estimated budget. My basement looks like a room out of a magazine! Joe kept me informed every step of the way and was very responsive to my questions or concerns. I am very happy with the every aspect of the project and would gladly hire them again for future projects

Description of Work
basement remodel, green board walls-remove existing paneling, update lighting, install vinyl floor and paint/baseboards

Category drywall, flooring contractor, lighting, remodeling, interior painters, basement remodeling

Thank you for the excellent review! We hope your family enjoys the new space.

08/17/2018

Dorothy C.

They were perfect! I live alone and they never came into the home except to pick up the check. They worked on the house for 3 weeks from 7am to about 2 pm. They were kind enough to give me a complete invoice of everything of what needed to be done. I had contacted several other companies and none of them would give me as detailed a report. They were very neat, and were complete gentleman. They gave me a lot of respect.

Description of Work
They replaced the warped wood siding on the back of my house, they then pressure washed the house, primed everything, and did two coats of paint. They also replaced and repaired the gutters and downspouts and painted the garage door and window frames. They also attached a new shutter.

Category contractors, gutter repair, siding, house painters

Thank you for the excellent review! It was a pleasure to work on your projects for you.

07/03/2018

Darrell W.

I didn't grade them on a curve. Hurd is the best contractor I have ever dealt with. I dread using contracts are they are incredibly unreliable. Hurd was exactly prompt with executing a proposed timeline of the projects. They were never late. Joe helped give suggestions on color schemes. Joe did extra work, which he didn't expect payment. Very conscientious. Can't say enough.

Description of Work
Fixed ceilings that were dropping plaster and remodel of bathroom with replacing tub and tub tiles

Category contractors, ceramic tile, drywall, lighting, woodworking, interior painters, cabinet refacing

Thank you for the opportunity to transform your home, we hope you will enjoy it for years to come!

03/27/2018

Kathy M.

Throughout the planning for and during the project Joe was very professional. He listened to what I wanted to do in the house and offered suggestions on how to accomplish what I wanted done. When unexpected issues would arise, as they do when restoring 100 year old homes, Joe would explain the issue, how he would address it and ask me what I wanted to do. For example, when refinishing the hardwood floor two areas were found where the sub-floor had rotten wood and needed to be replaced. Joe removed the hard wood, numbering each section he removed, repaired the sub-floor, replaced wood that wasn't damaged and used new where needed. Once the floor was done you can not tell the sections that were replaced from the original. Joe was also very considerate of me throughout the project. I lived in the house during the the restoration and never felt like I was in a construction site. Joe would enclose the area he was working on in plastic to limit the amount of dust throughout the rest of the house. At the end of the day he always cleaned up the area, consolidated tools and materials and vacuumed. I greatly appreciated Joe's work ethic, he was punctual, told me what he planned to accomplish each day and what he planned for the week. The project moved along according to his plan. I will definitely use Hurd Home Services for future projects in my home.

Description of Work
Restoration of the first floor of my family's 100 year old home. The project included the living room, front hallway and dining room. The home is a Spanish Stucco style and has stuccoed walls throughout the house. There were many cracks in the plaster that needed to be re-plastered, then texturized to blend into the rest of the stuccoed wall. The hardwood floor in the living room was completely stripped, re-stained and polyurethaned. The room also had 9 original ceiling beams that needed to match the stain of the floor. These beams could not be be sanded due to their individually unique character. Joe had paint mixed that matched the floor stain and then dry brushed the beams. The fireplace hearth was re-tiled, the insert painted black, and the marble was cleaned, and polished. The woodwork and walls were painted. The front entry hallway had old fashioned thick wall paper that had been put up with glue. When it was removed there were patches where the glue was still on the wall even after a great deal of sanding. Joe repaired the cracks in the plaster and then re-textured the walls to blend with the stucco. The stairs were stripped, stained and polyurethaned. The wrought iron railing was very skillfully painted to compliment the stairs. The three very unique wood doors in the hallway were hand sanded and then polyurethaned, bringing them back to their original beauty. The ceiling was a thick popcorn material that was the consistency that crumbed like chalk when touched. Joe removed it and texturized the ceiling to compliment the stucco walls. All woodwork and walls were painted. The dining room also had cracks in the plaster that were repaired and texturized to bled into the stucco wall. The ceiling was cracked in too many places, Joe dry walled the ceiling and then texturized it to compliment the stucco walls. All woodwork and walls were painted.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor, plastering, interior painters

Thank you for the excellent review! It was a pleasure to work on your home, I hope you enjoy the restoration.

03/13/2018

Joanne W.

Everything completed on time with good quality

Description of Work
Fencing around my patio

Category contractors, decks, fencing

Thank you for your review and input, it was a pleasure working for you!

08/27/2017

Mary H.

Great company.. Do not hesitate to hire.. You will definitely be pleased

Description of Work
Almost all rooms were painted. Excellent workmanship!! Joe and his team were prompt courteous and professional.. I have hired contractors in the past so I was so pleasantly surprised each day when Joe and his team not only put everything back but swept the areas clean and sometimes even mopped when needed. Joe installed the tile on our kitchen backsplash and laminate flooring in two areas. He is a real perfectionist. He does each job as if he is doing in his own home.

Category ceramic tile, pressure washing, interior painters

Mr. and Mrs. [Member Name Removed] - Thank you for the compliments, it was a pleasure working on your projects.

06/27/2017

Catherine L.

They showed up on time and did the job. I asked them to was the inside of my porch, which they did for an extra $25. I wish I had read all of the reviews. They DO NOT USE CLEANING SOLUTION....ONLY WATER. I asked about having my driveway done and was quoted $150, which I did not have done. So, $169 for the house & $25 for the porch= $194. Last year I had a contractor power wash my house, porch and driveway (using cleaning solution...everything was "SPARKLING") for $250. Live and Learn... Read ALL the reviews....Lesson learned!

Description of Work
Powerwashing my house.

Category pressure washing, interior painters

We showed up 10 minutes early and on time, but were given a B for punctuality? Even going beyond the standard you can't please everyone. We walked through the project area to review what was to be accomplished with the customer and at no point was a cleaning solution mentioned or requested by the customer. A standard power wash is pressurized water to rinse off and clean surfaces, we don't use chemicals unless requested. Most people these days are concerned with chemicals of any kind, this is why we don't use them unless requested. The extra fee for the enclosed deck was applied and approved by the customer since that was not part of the specific package purchased and considered extra, this is also why the driveway was considered an extra. I have never seen a house that was "SPARKLING" in all the time I have been in the trades not even new construction, if this was possible with a pressure washer cleaning solution it would be advertised everywhere and a universal standard and 100% of people and contractors would use and know about it. I apologise that the customer felt we were sub-par but a power wash is not a miracle method for a house.

05/18/2017

Kim K.

Excellent. The workers were great - professional and respectful. They cleaned up after themselves and asked us several times to make sure that we were satisfied with their work.

Description of Work
Hurd Home Services came and did drywall repair. We used to have wallpaper in our home and we removed the wallpaper ourselves. In that process, some areas of the drywall had to be repaired. Hurd Home Services came and patched up areas.

Category drywall

Thank you for the great review! It was a pleasure working for you and we hope to work with you again.

05/18/2017

Kim K.

Great! Hurd Home Services were great - they did a great job painting all of the ceilings. They were courteous and professional. They did not leave behind any mess.

Description of Work
We needed all of our ceilings painted.

Category interior painters

Thank you for the excellent review!

04/23/2017

Sandra C.

Joe does really high quality work and we were very happy with the results. This job was done over a period of weeks, and Joe kept us updated every step of the way, made recommendations as we needed them, and was just over all great to work with. Probably my best endorsement for Hurd Home Services is that we have already scheduled Joe to come back and do more work in our home in late May.

Description of Work
We bought an older home and hired Hurd Home services to do painting, drywall and plaster repair, rebuild a master bedroom closet, frame in and build a door for a crawl space, and rip out layers of old flooring and lay ceramic tile in a bathroom.

Category ceramic tile, closet systems, drywall, remodeling, woodworking, interior painters

Thanks for the review. It was a pleasure to work for you. We hope you enjoy your time at your new house.

04/21/2017

Tasia H.

The rep was on time and courteous during the estimate. He stated that he didn't need to see the inside of the room, just the outside, in order to provide an estimate. He stayed for just a couple of minutes and talked about what posts he would use, what the inside finish might be, etc. Then two days later, I receive a note saying on that he "will not be bidding on your project." No other explanation. I RUSHED home in a downpour through heavy traffic to meet this guy, he pretends to have interest in the job, and then he emails with a form letter just to say never mind with no indication of why. What a WASTE OF TIME this company is. Update, 4/28/17: In response to the owner's comments on a previous review: We called the handyman, who did not answer his phone, ten minutes before the appointment to say that we were stuck in traffic and would be no more than five minutes after 6p. We arrived at 6:04p. Our small dog barked during the handyman's visit. The dog was locked in a third-floor room during the visit and at no time made contact with the handyman. The handyman was rude and, frankly, did not inspect the enclosed porch to determine the scope of the job. He never set foot inside the room and performed only the most cursory inspection of the exterior before saying he didn't need to see anything else. He never gave us a timeline for providing an estimate, and that's why we called: to obtain a timeline for providing an estimate (would it be a week, a month, longer?). In all, completely unprofessional service from a handyman who seemed unprepared for the scope of the job.

Description of Work
The representative came out to the house to provide an estimate on turning our 3-season room into a mudroom with a single window. Basically, the job was changing three walls from paneling and glass to regular walls with siding on the exterior.

Category remodeling, sunrooms

I apologise for turning down this potential customer but this is why. A. I was on time and had to wait for the potential customer because they were late and didn't plan accordingly. B. I didn't go into their house because they had dogs that sounded vicious when they finally arrived and we got started. C. I explained to the potential customer that it would take some time to process the information and send out a quote. Less than two days later I received a voicemail from the potential customer about their quote. D. In conclusion- a. she was late, b. the environment wasn't safe, c. she was pushy and impatient about the quote. We reserve the right to turn down business from anyone that seems very problematic. There were too many red flags for such a brief interaction leading to the decision to not pursue this opportunity any further.

04/14/2017

James L.

Joe and his crew were very professional and courteous. Scheduling was easy and he was very accommodating. I will be using their services every time we need our home cleaned.

Description of Work
Power washing vinyl siding on our home

Category pressure washing

03/17/2017

Kirby M.

Good results, professional approach including masking, draping and cleanup.

Description of Work
Plaster water damage repaired including plaster cove molding restoration.

Category drywall, plastering, interior painters

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you to the best of our ability and feel free to reach out to us for any future projects. It was a pleasure working for you.

01/22/2017

Dennis E.

After meeting with us, telling us that it was a job that he could get to fairly quickly, he responded with an email basically stating that our job wasn't worth his time or effort to even bid on. Honestly, I feel that unless you have a MAJOR job, this is probably not the company to use. When I asked for an explanation of why he wouldn't even place a bid, he did not respond. Luckily we did receive two competitive bids from other contractors and have a start date of next week

Description of Work
We tried to get a bid for two jobs we needed done shortly after moving into our new home: a bathroom added to our basement and new tile for a small shower off the master bedroom.

Category ceramic tile, basement remodeling

Our company takes on all types of projects big and small but we can't take on every single project inquiry for various reasons. Our goal is to treat every job whether large or small with equal professionalism, systematic workmanship and respect for both customers served and materials used while maintaining a safe and hazard free environment. The situation was as follows: 1. Met with the customer and was asked to submit a quote for a 1/2 bath in the basement. While at the meeting for the basement 1/2 bath I was told repeatedly they wanted nothing fancy and to keep it at a low cost. I took my notes and measurements and explained the process and all was well understood. The next day I received a call stating they now wanted a tub and shower added to the quote for the basement. I explained that the original agreed upon location in the basement was not ideal for a bath tub / shower because it was next to a HVAC system and that the ceiling height was not adequate enough because of the HVAC ducts going through the area. I asked to revisit the site since the location was not ideal and the scope of work had changed. This request was denied and I was told to "just get a quote sent out!" This conversation and reaction to my request raised red flags and played a part in our decision to decide not to bid on this project. 2. Also in our original meeting quote date after we looked at the requested 1/2 bath project we went to the first floor where they asked what could be done to a spout fixture that they had another contractor "fix" ( by stuffing hydrulic cement up the spout and into the plumbing ) because of a "lack of water pressure" issue with the shower head. I explained that they should not have stuffed cement into their plumbing because it would create more issues and that in order to resolve the problem they would need to replace certain items and an access ( which was not there ) would need to be created in order to resolve this dilemma. They also told me that they were going to get a shower insert installed by "someone" and the dimensions were 36" by 36". This didn't make sense to me because the space for the shower was way too small to begin with. I showed them with my tape measure that 36 inches would put their shower insert into their existing doorway and through the existing shower wall into their toilet. I was NOT asked to give them a "new tile" quote, in fact I showed them that their existing tile needed to be re grouted in order to prevent leaking to the lower level basement. They then informed me that since the "spout repair with cement" they had leaking water issues in the basement ceiling. 3. On the day of discussing the project with associates the collective conclusion was to not submit a bid for this project. I sent an email to the customer thanking him for his interest in our company and our decision to not move forward with the project. He sent me a nasty email back, I responded to it apologizing to him for not getting the response he wanted and stating that we collectively weighed the pros and cons for this project and decided to decline on it. He then sent me another email wanting an explanation for our decision, I decided not to engage any longer because it is obvious that this person wanted confrontation and the last word. 4. I then had a meeting to discuss the situation with my Angie's List account manager and forwarded the emails to Angie's List for review and was told that my company did nothing unprofessional and that our record speaks for itself. There were several points that this person obviously lied about the facts and the emails and the Angie's list review he submitted didn't factually match up, that is why his original review was edited by Angie's List. On a side note one of our associates actually lives on the same street as the customer and has stated that weeks later there still has been no activity at the project address, making his statement of "luckily we have a start date of next week" void and just another red flag. We collectively feel that it was a good decision to not engage in any form of business with this person given all the facts. 5. Mission Statement : Our goal is to treat every job whether large or small with equal professionalism, systematic workmanship and respect for both customers served and materials used while maintaining a safe and hazard-free environment.

12/24/2016

Joyce G.

The project went extremely well. I told Joe what I wanted. I was a bit nervous at first letting him pick out all the materials. I did pick out the ceramic tile and flooring but left everything else to him. Everything was just perfect. Joe went out of his way to find the exact vanity and fixtures that I had described. Since the home is a weekend home for a child with autism, I had some specific concerns with safety and maintenance. Joe was very accommodating and remained focused on my specific needs throughout the project. Finally, the project was completed on time and on budget just in time for Christmas.

Description of Work
I needed a total remodel of a small bathroom. I was going for a clean neutral look. The tub area was problematic since I wanted to keep a small window over the tub and the tub was an odd size and difficult to find a replacement. Joe went over the tub options with me and we decided on refinishing the existing tub. I also kept the existing toilet. Everything else is new.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor, interior designers, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Thank you for the excellent review of this project and for the freedom to design and follow through with all aspects of your Bathroom Remodel. We take great pride in the fact that we can manifest a customers ideas and visions and make them an everyday reality. We will remain focused on each and every customers needs to the best of our abilities. We hope you and your family will enjoy your new remodel and thank you again for the opportunity to serve you.