Koontz Construction

Founded 2003 • With Angi since November 2008

2045 Marwell Blvd

Hudson, OH 44236

Koontz Construction is a masonry construction business. We do brick step repairs/rebuilds, chimney repairs/rebuilds, tuck-pointing, stone work and pavers. We do not sub out our masonry work. We are fully insured. We give free estimates....

10/16/2021

Louise and James S.

Wonderfully. I used Koontz for some other work a few years ago and was very pleased so I went with them again. They are very courteous, and responsive. Their work and attention to detail is what I expect, and their prices are fair. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Tuck pointing and exterior caulking

Category handyman service, masonry

07/18/2021

Paul T.

Steve and his assistants assessed issue of collapsing wall and first fixed underlying problem. The stones for the front wall of our house were carefully removed and necessary work conducted before replacing stone with new mortar. End result is beautiful. We also used Koontz to replace front stone steps with surrounding brick walls. Here too, they first took care and attention to fix the very important foundational problems. Koontz Construction provides quality service at a fair price and is focused on both form and function.

Description of Work
Drainwork, stone wall taken down and put up with proper support.

Category concrete repair, masonry, foundation repair

12/22/2020

S D.

Steve and his crew did exceptional work. They were recommended by a friend who’d had similar work done. They were professional and their work was impeccable. Would hire again for any masonry needs.

Description of Work
Chimney repair

Category concrete repair, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

10/17/2019

Ruth G.

This was the third major project Koontz did for us, and both the quality of their work and their customer service remain top-notch. Dale understood what we wanted, made great suggestions, always kept us informed, and came in very close to the original bid. He, Steve, Anthony, and the whole crew did beautiful work and were always as courteous as they were hard-working and professional. Very respectful of our property and did a thorough clean-up when they finished. Can’t recommend highly enough.

Description of Work
Chimney rebuild, lay new granite step

Category concrete repair, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, hardscaping

09/01/2019

Gary L.

Dale King understood our vision of the project from the very beginning. Dale and the crew performed the tear down and new construction meticulously. They were professional, courteous and honest. They kept us informed throughout the process. While they were here, we decided to have them remove/rebuild the chimney. It looks great! We have gotten numerous compliments on the high quality of the work from family, friends, neighbors, and other contractors. We highly recommend Koontz Construction and will use them again. In fact, they were back here last week to perform some lentil repair that they had noticed needed attention.

Description of Work
Demolish an existing concrete and brick front porch/steps/stoop and construct a new brick/sandstone stoop and steps.

06/14/2019

william B.

Job went off without a hitch. Koontz people were a pleasure to work with. Their work was done very professionally. They did all they could to make the job flow easily. I would have them back without question.

Description of Work
rebuild retaining walls for outside stairwell. Replaced damaged face brick to front of house

Category concrete repair, masonry, hardscaping

06/10/2019

Sharon M.

Excellent! For several years my chimney was leaking and many contractors claimed that they knew the problem and that they fixed it but it continued to leak. Dale and Steve from Koontz spent hours trying to determine the cause of the leaking, found it and fixed it. They were extremely knowledgeable, professional, and truly wanted to help me solve this problem. When weather delayed the actual repair process they were truly apologetic and worked very hard to get things done by a deadline. They always kept me informed and tried to keep the repair as economical as possible. They cleaned everything up every day and the results are perfect. The people at this company are extremely reliable and honest. I would hire them again in a minute.

Description of Work
Repair of a leaking chimney

Category concrete repair, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

03/10/2019

Mike M.

Koontz foreman (Dale) spoke with me a couple times on the phone for roughly 20-30 min each time going over what might need done. He said our chimney would likely need to be rebuilt from about the top 1/3 of the fireplace up. In the end we went with another company that was able to salvage our chimney for a few more years. Dale was great. Koontz will have big shoes to fill when he retires. It’s hard to find honest contractors and Dale is definitely trustworthy.

Description of Work
Full chimney rebuild

Category chimney repair

10/30/2018

CATHERINE S.

I looked for 20 years for someone to repair my bowing/disintegrating foundation/basement wall of my near century home. I found the right team at Koontz. Granted, I had to wait a bit, but it was worth it. They began by getting everything approved by the city and the Landmark Commission. They excavated and demoed the existing wall to footer depth, formed and poured a new footer, built a new wall, and added brick veneer. They also installed new windows, perorated drain tile and new window wells. The surprise came when they inspected existing the downspout pipe and found blockage, so they installed new downspout drain and tied in 3 additional downspouts. Every step of the way they tried to accommodate my persnickety requests, saving my plantings and my existing brick so I could repurpose. They even helped me fix my wheelbarrow. Everyone was delightful, courteous, and respectful.

Description of Work
Replace foundation wall and downspout drainage

Category concrete repair, masonry, foundation repair

Thank you! We are so happy we could help. The guys definately enjoyed the baked goods you spoiled them with! -Jill

10/10/2018

Anne P.

We hired Koontz Construction to replace the front stoop of our 1920’s Cleveland Heights house. Our stoop was larger and more complex compared to those on most other homes in the Heights and the job was made even more complicated because we wanted to incorporate into the top some granite slabs that match granite I’ve installed on a side porch and the rear entrance to the house. Koontz did a beautiful job; they weren’t fazed by our unusual and very detailed requirements for how various elements of the stoop, like the mortar and the pattern of the brick, should look (in part to match the rest of the house) and they did much more work on constructing the foundation and interior structure of the stoop than I had expected. This included pouring a foundation under the entire structure, not just under the walls which I noticed another company doing a few houses down from us while Koontz was working on our project. The crew was courteous and professional throughout and the owner was meticulous in his craftsmanship and kept us well-informed of their work schedule. On top of all of this, their price was slightly lower than two competing bids I had solicited. As ‘icing on the cake’, while they were working on our stoop, I asked if they might also replace several sections of badly heaved (due to tree roots) front sidewalk. They agreed to add this to the scope of the project for an additional $1100, about half the price I was quoted last year for this same work. It was, of course, more cost-effective for Koontz Construction because they were already involved in concrete work at the house, but they did an excellent job on the sidewalk, too, elegantly curving it around a large tree to minimize damage and perfectly matching the finish to the remaining sidewalk slabs. I highly recommend Koontz Construction!

Description of Work
Front stoop rebuilt

Category concrete repair, masonry

Thank you so much for the recommendation!

06/26/2018

Louise and James S.

They are very nice, responsive and professional.

Description of Work
Estimate on Mailbox Repair

Category handyman service

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, we appreciate the compliments!

06/26/2018

Judy K.

Excellent! The job supervisor and two associates were on time, courteous, professional and anxious to please. A damaged flue was also discovered and repaired. I would highly recommend.

Description of Work
Chimney flashing needed to be replaced.

Category chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Thank you for the compliments and recommendation!

06/20/2018

Kathleen B.

Koontz construction actually got me added into thier heavy summer schedule as I needed this work done for my daughter’s upcoming wedding. The stairs were really bad. Tuckpointing had to be done and the stone needed to be sealed. My small front courtyard walls also needed some attention which I hadn’t really noticed st first. It was all taken care of in between rain storms 😩 which stalled the sealing of the brick but this didn’t effect the outcome which was excellent. Dale is a great guy to deal with and I highly recommend this company. On a side note (which I feel bad) they did a total tear down of my chimney last May and also repaired the stone on my side steps. Another excellent job, “that’s why I recommend this company so highly.”

Description of Work
Outside stone stairs and stone wall.

06/16/2018

Bosko M.

I highly recommend Koontz Construction. We had a number of companies come out to look at a pretty significant crack in our brick on the corner of our house, and Dale from Koontz Construction was the only one who took the time to discuss the possibilities of what could be causing it - and suggested doing some investigating of the issue by digging down on the side of the house to determine better if its a structural issue or not, which if not then just needs some minor re-sealing - instead of just assuming it was worst-case scenario and going with the most costly option. The whole process with them has been great - extremely responsive with emails/calls (didn't leave us hanging with no responses like many other companies), on-time for the day of the job, kept us informed throughout the process, and turns out it doesn't appear to be a structural issue - so after resealing the crack, advised what to look for to determine if it starts cracking/pulling away again, to then at that time look at rebuilding the brick corner on the house. He easily could have told us it was structural and charged us a large amount to rebuild, but he didn't and looked at the project as if it was his own house in what he suggested to do based on what he found. Can't say enough about how well this all went, and would hire them again in a heartbeat for other projects going forward.

Description of Work
Investigating crack in masonry on side of house

Category masonry

Thank you for your kind review, we are happy you are happy! Have a great summer!

06/05/2018

ALEXANDER G.

Looked over work, gave me estimate. Have not decided on contractor yet.

Description of Work
Repair concrete drive

Category concrete repair

06/05/2018

Michael B.

They were excellent. They let me pick out the brick, were on time, and worked hard. The new chimney looks great!

Description of Work
Rebuild chimney above the roof and install a new flashing.

Category masonry, chimney repair

Thanks for the compliments! Enjoy the rest of your summer.

05/27/2018

Susan M.

I could not have hoped for a better experience. My wall looks better than I thought possible. They were a pleasure to work with. They actually did everything they said they would and were very courteous and professional which In my experience is very rare nowadays.

Description of Work
Repair garage wall. Grinding, tuck-pointing, caulking and resetting some loose caps.

Category masonry

Thank you for such kind words! We're flattered and glad we impressed you. Have a great summer!

03/28/2018

Jacqueline P.

Amazing work that was completed in a single day! Extremely thorough and outstanding clean up of what can be a very messy job!!! Highly recommend!!!

Description of Work
Tuckpointing

Category masonry

Thank you for the recommendation and compliment! Have a great summer!

10/23/2017

Gaye B.

I called several times over a period of 2 weeks and left a message. Finally someone called me back and I told him what we need done. He said he would come out to the house and give me an estimate. At least 2 weeks later, I received an email giving me an estimate. He never let me know he had come to our home and I have no idea which fireplace he looked at because we have 2. I sent him an email back telling him I was disappointed that he had not come to the door and talked to me and I asked him which fire place he estimated. I never got a response.

Description of Work
We needed brick repair on our fire place chimney outside.

07/06/2017

Steven A.

We had spalled bricks and water damage from the top ~12 levels of brick from the chimney on our 35 year old house, had called a few companies to assess and give estimates of the work. Dale from Koontz construction was very professional and gave a very thorough quote, although just a little higher than a competitor. Initially we had gone with the other company, however that did not end up working out (thankfully no work was done, and important lesson learned; mason work is certainly not an area to skimp on and always pick quality over a few $$$). We called Koontz back and they were happy to get our job done. Dale was a perfectionist in picking the brick match with us, showing us the options he thought were best both on the ground in our hands as well as up on the top of the chimney to see the color in different lights. The whole team was quick with the work, clean, and I loved that a few times when I went out to watch the progress they were using a level to check and recheck placement . They did a great job, cleaned up quickly, and we received professional invoice afterward. I would not hesitate to recommend Koontz for chimney rebuild any day.

Description of Work
Chimney rebuild (12 courses) due to water damage; new concrete crown, seal chimney

05/03/2017

Kathleen B.

They did a wonderful job on both my stairs and my chimney. My chimney was totally replaced and my stairs needed extensive repair. I think this is a tough job, especially going up on scaffolding to a 2 plus story roof. They were very nice and professional. The final product looks great, couldn't be happier. I will use them again in the near future for another project.

Description of Work
My brick entry-way stairs and my chimney.

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

04/28/2017

Tina C.

Great! They were prompt, courteous and very meticulous -- the front porch looks great!

Description of Work
I had a front porch that needed to be completely demolished and rebuilt

Category concrete repair, masonry

04/19/2017

Eric C.

I couldn't be more pleased. It didn't take Dale long to work us into their (busy) schedule. The work proceeded exactly as promised. We were kept informed of the work's progress from day to day. The final result is attractive and appears to be a durable solution to the pre-existing condition.

Description of Work
Tuckpointing and caulk sealing of joints in front entrance stairs and front porch. Construction of new steps to rear entrance using sandstone riser blocks.

04/17/2017

Tristana B.

Koontz came out quickly, installed scaffolding, and did a thorough analysis to determine the exact location of the leak. Winter then arrived, so no work could be done for a few months. As soon as there was a week of good weather, Koontz sent out a crew to do what turned out to be a significant repair and reconstruction of a portion of the chimney. All work was done in about four days, and the work was excellent.

Description of Work
Had some water damage in the family room and basement ceilings. Initially suspected a roof leak but, after some investigative work, determined that the leak was in the area of the chimney. Koontz confirmed that.

Category masonry, chimney repair

Thank you! Glad to help, water leaks can be tricky to figure out. It's satisfying to find the problem and solve it and know you are taken care of.

02/03/2017

Nicole E.

The men that came out to do the work were very friendly and helpful. They had ideas on the best way to do the work for the best price. They did not try to up sell extras to us. We actually we're quoted a price and since the job ended up going smoother than expected, they lowered the price. The brickwork was done well and even though the fireplace is 35+ years old they matched the brick perfectly. Excellent job. Will use for any other masonry projects in the future.

Description of Work
We needed some work done on our fireplace. We had a air vent installed to draw air in from outside, we had a damper put on the chimney, and some brickwork patched.

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces