Barker Heating & Air Conditioning

Founded 1918 • With Angi since July 2006

637 Watervliet Ave

Dayton, OH 45420

With more than 98 years in the heating and cooling business, Barker Heating And Air Conditioning is dedicated to providing the best possible service for you and your family. You can count on us to provide you with a system and solution that fits your family's unique needs and since we've installed

06/17/2017

Susan B.

I called, told the person I talked to that my air conditioner had died and asked for a service call, even though it was late in the work day. They dispatched a serviceman who was very knowledgeable about air conditioners and who quickly diagnosed what was wrong with mine, Turned out that the motor had simply burned out. The gentleman had brought a new motor (which was good because it turned out that my motor had died, after years of use) and everything else he needed to replace the motor and do some other things that helped ensure the system would recover. And, of course, it did. The price for the visit and the work included a bump given that it was after-hours, which was fine with me. I went from wondering if I could get my air conditioner fixed by, say, Monday to realizing that it was going to be fixed . . . and so it was. Given everything he had to do to get the system working (the burned out motor was only part of the problem, but he took care of everything), I thought the price was very reasonable.

Description of Work
It was a very hot and muggy Friday in Dayton, Ohio, with more to follow when my central air conditioner unit stopped working late in the day, which was a serious concern to me. Aside from disliking hot and humid weather, I am allergic to many of the pollens and other pollutants that are found in Dayton's air, because the town sits in a valley and it takes a lot of wind to move the pollutants. I have wound up in the hospital with pneumonia several times because I did not take that seriously. It was after hours when I called, but they still dispatched a technician.

11/25/2015

Christopher N.

The Barker technician arrived on time, quickly diagnosed the problem with our furnace, and was able to fix it with tools and supplies he had in his truck. He also was happy to answer all my questions, and I am a very inquisitive person.

Description of Work
Fixed our furnace.

09/12/2015

M H.

They did not show up as scheduled. They stood me up. They went on vacation and never called me! This was not the exact date.as shown from above.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

I think you have the wrong company as we have never stood up our customers. Sincerely, Malia M. Ferguson President and Owner

09/11/2015

Barbara M.

Matt came and reviewed project. He went back to office to price materials, and gave me a call back with price. I said ok. We set a date for repair. They came promptly and made repair. Everything was quick and professionally done. Very pleased!

Description of Work
Replaced old condensation pump on furnace with new, and replaced old rusted duct box and elbow duct.

09/04/2015

Jim D.

Service technician arrived on time. He (Ray) inspected A/C and resolved several issues. He was knowledgeable and professional. He did not try to sell us a replacement system or parts we didn't need. Very satisfied. We will use Barker Heating & Air again when needed.

Description of Work
Yearly service and maintenance of Bryant air conditioning system. Our 15 year old system wasn't cooling but now cools very well. Great work! Thanks! Highly recommended!

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so very much for your kind words regarding my business and my employee. Also, thank you for your business. Sincerely, Malia M. Ferguson, President

08/18/2015

Pamela B.

I've had my furnace inspected since we moved into this home 3 years ago. For the first time, someone was able to tell me exactly how our unit works, (heat pump, electric/furnace, gas). Not only that, everything was explained to me in terms that were extremely easy to understand. Now we are actually saving money and keeping our home warmer. This company is an authorized Bryant Service Provider and provided me with wonder service and was extremely efficient..

Description of Work
Winter furnace inspection.

02/20/2015

Daniel G.

Explained the problem and fixed it.

Description of Work
Fixed furnace which wouldn't start.

08/28/2014

Trisha G.

I had four companies come out to give us estimates- all of them were good companies and responded promptly, but there was no question I was going with Barker. Steve was thorough from the start and you could just tell he wanted things done right and perfectly. We have an old house and there were a lot of quirks and odd issues that came up during the installation. What they thought would take two days ended up taking four days- not because of incompetence but because they wanted to get it right when they encountered unplanned issues. There were four employees from Barker that came to the house and every single one of them was professional and courteous. Conversation between the employees was never negative or rude; they all treated one another and us with respect. I would hire this company again and again and will refer them to friends any chance I get. Can't say enough about them. They are just completing the install now and I have no question that if issues come up in the future they will be responsive and well worth the cost.

Description of Work
Replaced our entire HVAC system including the majority of our ductwork, added ductwork to an existing bathroom

02/14/2014

PETER C.

I would rate them highly. They're a pretty good company. The initial person I contacted was very helpful and knowledgeable. He made good recommendations as far as the unit I needed. He didn't oversell me, that's for sure. Another thing that impressed me was that after the work was done, the person came by to check on the installation. They were very professional. The price was compatible.

Description of Work
Barker Heating & Air Conditioning installed a heater for us.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

[member name removed], Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We appreciate your business and your trust in our company. Thank you, Malia Ferguson, President

01/22/2014

Donzel Y.

He cleaned all the heating coils(? |The furnace was not staying lit. When this happens it's usually the heating sensor has a build up and needs to be cleaned. This gut had already tAken the jet down before checking the sensor. He cleaned all that then went to the fan area saying the motor is not running. He changed a part in there. I knew what was wrong with the firman but he was saying it could be this or this or this So he's done, sits on his clipboard and was writing things down while looking at the furvance That alone took 1/2hour. And he really did not that neded him to fit infringe of the furnace. It was just a right up if the bill So a $67 job from most companies cost me $164. Greedy and dishonest. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Description of Work
I used BARKER HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

[removed member name] I am very sorry for the service you feel you did not receive. I will reimburse you the 97$ dollars since you feel it was only worth 67$. My technician did follow protocol for your system and charged you the rates you were quoted on the phone. I am truly sorry for your inconvenience and time. Sincerely, Malia M. Ferguson, President

01/11/2014

Anthony D.

It went well. The serviceman was very nice and professional. About 2 weeks after they came I happened to look in our kitchen vent and it looked a bit dirty (cobwebs). None of the others looked that way. I thought I remembered seeing him clean it and maybe a spider could have moved in and spun a web that fast. I didn't call and report it, so they had no opportunity to do anything about it. That said, I'm not holding anything against them. I was otherwise very happy with the service.

Description of Work
They cleaned our ducts and returns.

12/05/2013

Lauren N.

Tech called on his way to my house. He arrived at the time he specified on the phone, however this was about 15 min later than the time I scheduled with the office. The 2 techs were professional and knowledgeable. They recounted the vents (I had one too many vents when I counted and they adjusted my price accordingly which was great). They explained what they would do and answered all my questions. Since this was a large job (I have 24 vents) I went back to work while they worked. I felt comfortable leaving them in my house, however we just bought the house and it was empty...so not really much risk. They called me when they were done and locked up after themselves (we have a lock box). Apparently the dryer vent was so clogged they had to disassemble the vent in the basement. When I went to check on the reassembly I could not even figure out where they took it apart. They were very clean, wearing booties in the house, and there was no trace of dirt when they left. Since we just bought this house my husband had removed some of the vents to paint. They were able to work around the fact that we had removed vents and sealed them off without leaving marks on our freshly painted walls. I was present when they were sealing off the vents, and I trust they actually cleaned our ducts while I was at work. :) But, overall this was a great experience. They told us about additional options but did not push us to spend extra money. I would recommend this company and would use them again for our next cleaning. Price was competitive with other reputable companies I called for quotes.

Description of Work
They cleaned all my duct work (24 vents!) and cleaned the dryer vent.

Category air duct cleaning, dryer vent cleaning

08/15/2013

Brenda F.

I called to get an estimate for a new furnace. Steven (Sales Engineer) came out. I was impressed with him. He looked everything over to make sure the new furnace would be compatible (with the thermostat, electrical panel, existing central air system). He was very knowledgeable and explained everything well. The estimate was fairly reasonable also. As yet, we are still deciding whether we will put in a new furnace. However, I did feel like I should write a favorable review regarding Steven.

Description of Work
Gave estimate.

08/10/2013

Sharlette R.

After being embarrassed by not knowing I should have cleaned off the accumulation of debris on the unit, built up since last winter, the technician cleaned the unit with the hose and checked the freon levels. He was polite and professional explaining what should be done in the future and he checked and reminded me to check all of the vents in the house.

Description of Work
Came out and cleaned the unit so that it could actually cool down the house. Checked the vents and thermostat.

06/21/2013

Carol T.

Owner and staff were unprofessional and rude. Customer service was non existent. I would never use them again or recommend them.

Description of Work
There was an usuaual issue that I attempted to resolve with the owner....unsuccessfully. Their approach from my perspective was unacceptable.

05/20/2013

Lee L.

Barker explained thoroughly what they recommended in installing the air cleaner and pointed out the flaws in the previous installation by a different provided, i.e., the ductwork did not fit properly and thus not all air was being filtered. The new ductwork was installed as they had described. We have used Barker for our heating and cooling needs for the past several years and have been very pleased with their service.

Description of Work
Installed new air cleaner and duct work connecting the air cleaner to the furnace.

05/15/2013

Patricia A B.

Brandon was very nice and very professional. Explained heating and air conditioning systems.. Got AC up and running which it hadn't been before. Just a matter of flipping a switch on the outside unit

Description of Work
Spring maintenance of air conditioning. Additional coolant added.

12/20/2012

Lori C.

The genteman who came out to our home to give us the estimate did a very thorough review of our home, taking his time to measure and take notes throughout the house. He wanted to make sure we had the systems that would work best for our needs. He came back for another appointment so my wife coud be part of the decision making. He took time to review the different options for systems based on the cost we had in mind and our home size, etc. He answered all our questions very thoroughly and was very helpful. It was a very positive experience. For the installation, they were at our home for 2 full days first cleaning our ducts, making replacement ductwork where needed, installing the furnace first, then installing the air conditioner. They were very professional, friendly aand cleaned up every work area they used in our home. Our system was very old, so some issues occured along the way, but they very quickly and professionally handled them at no additional expense to us. This was one of the best experiences we have had with a company working in our home. We would recommend this company to everyone!

Description of Work
We had our furnace and air conditioner replaced

11/30/2012

Ralph F.

We were very impressed with his professionalism and prompt attention to our needs.

Description of Work
We are considering replacing our 80% efficient gas forced-air furnace during repair of wood damage in the basement, and called Barker at the recommendation of a friend. Mr. Steve Spears visited the home that afternoon, evaluated the condition of the home and furnace/air-conditioning system, as well as the ductwork, and worked up a proposal for a replacement system. He brought the proposal to us last evening to discuss, and we are currently considering it. Mr. Spears is extremely knowledgable about heating and air-conditioning systems, and recommended a cost-effective replacement system which would not require extensive new ducting, even though more expensive systems could have been recommended.

10/29/2012

Tom S.

I really like Barker. I got three estimates on central air. They weren’t necessarily the cheapest. They are a female owned business and I like to support female small business owners. The estimate was pretty good. The service was also pretty good. I was pretty happy with the services. They were also recommended to me through a friend.

Description of Work
They installed the central air unit.

10/23/2012

Thomas E.

They came out within 2 days. Arrived on time, did a good job, and at a reasonable price.

Description of Work
The furnace was cleaned and inspected.

10/22/2012

Laurel C.

Two representatives from Barker came on the same day, one to clean our air ducts and another to perform our spring AC maintenance. Both were professional, courteous and appeared to be quite thorough. They both also provided information to us regarding our duct and AC systems, which we were not previously aware of. We were happy with the work.

Description of Work
Air Duct Cleaning, Spring Air Conditioner Check/Maintenance

10/09/2012

NECIA C.

I contacted them approx. 2 wks. before completion of services, requesting an approx. verbal quote for air duct cleaning. The young lady I spoke with was very polite and said with my $90 coupon, the services would be $269. On Oct. 8, 2012, I was notified by the Service Tech, Chris, letting me know that he was in route. My scheduled time was 9:00 a.m., he arrived approx. 10 mins. early. He was very conscious about covering my floor before bringing in equipment. It was noted that Chris is very neat and orderly individual. When I made my appt., I was told it would take approx. 3 to 4 hrs., but to my surprise, it only took him approx. 1.5 hrs. He did a very good job cleaning up after himself. Took out time to show me all the dirt collected from ducts and answered any questions that I had. He even pointed out to me a small problem with rust in all vents and I told him I was aware of it and the the problem had been corrected in the past. I would definitely use their services again in the near future.

Description of Work
Air Duct Cleaning

Category air duct cleaning

07/19/2012

Betty J.

They are very prompt. Their personnel are great. They are number 1 in my book for old furnace repair.

Description of Work
They repaired an old furnace for me.

07/19/2012

Patricia L.

Very well. Have used them for over 15 years. Intially contacted them because of great service provided to my parents over 30 years.

Description of Work
Annual air conditioning check. Will contact them again in Fall for furnace check.

Essential Air

We specialize in duct cleaning and sanitation, as well as dryer vent cleaning to leave your home or business with the best indoor air quality as possible! We are a small local business that thrives on customer satisfaction and thorough work! We are an owner-operated business.

Teasdale Fenton Cleaning & Property Restoration

Teasdale-Fenton is Cincinnati based, but people throughout Greater Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky and Dayton know our name and—judging by their feed back—really like us. It's amazing how far a little old-fashioned respect, honesty and hard work goes. We want you impressed with your results, satisfied with the price and happy to call us the next time you need cleaning or restoration. Also, keep us in mind if you have a fire, smoke or water damage emergency. Our 24-hour disaster response team is quick to arrive. Years of experience have made us the area's experts on that kind of large loss. Limited Liability Company (LLC). Owned by Mr. James L. Olmstead. In case of fire or water damage emergency, 24-hour disaster response team available. Award winning. We specialize in Carpet, steam, floor, upholstery, drapery, auto, tile & grout cleaning, pet stains, grout sealing, vinyl strip, air duct cleaning, mold removal, basement waterproofing, fire & smoke damage restoration. 10% off for military personnel and senior citizens!

Offers by Teasdale Fenton Cleaning & Property Restoration on Angi
    Atherton Plumbing

Plumbing, downspout cleaning & repairs, garbage disposals, main water line, water heaters, sump pumps, remodeling - kitchen & bathroom, sewers, gas line installation, drain cleaning, trenchless pipelining, HALO water treatment & filtration systems, Streamlabs water monitoring system. Commercial services include: hydrojetting & excavation,hydro vac, backflow testing and certification.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Financing Available

Duct work cleaning & design, heating & air conditioning, planned agreements, installation and replacement & indoor air quality.

Ask for details.