McDermott Plumbing

Founded 2009 • With Angi since April 2012

Mission Statement “Quality Plumbing & Backflow at a Fair Price” is both our motto and mission statement. Here at McDermott Plumbing & Backflow we strive to achieve this goal each and every day by providing both our repeat and new customers superior plumbing and backflow services at a price they

plumbers (349)drain cleaning (61)water heaters (39)home remodeling (13)well & water pump repair (12)sewer cleaning (9)basement waterproofing (9)bathtub refinishing (6)gas leak repair (4)drain pipe installation (4)water softeners (4)septic tank service (1)

01/26/2022

Jeff W.

Sometimes you live and learn and sometimes you live and get burned and that was our experience with McDermott Plumbing. The leak began before Xmas and Mr. McDermott himself showed up to do the job. We were charged $99 for the service call. He thought the issue was that the toilet needed to be reseated. That was another $249, so we're out $300 for this. Two days later the dripping starts again and I call McDermott Plumbing again. Because of sickness, they can't get out until 01/19/22. Fine--but I get a nagging feeling that I need to make sure I'm not paying another $99 for a problem that wasn't fixed the first time. I call back and get an answering service and I leave a message. No call back on the 18th, so I call and get McDermott himself. He says he's not going to charge me for a service call. What he IS going to charge me is $129 for "an inspection fee" but he'll take that off of any repair work that costs over $400. Deciding "fool me once/fool me twice" wasn't a game I wanted to play, I canceled the appointment and called a handyman instead. When he came out to check the leak, he also checked the seating of the toilet and found all McPherson had done was add more sealant ON TOP of the existing sealant! It was a goopy, nasty-looking MESS (here's where I wish Angi allowed pictures to be included in these reviews). The handyman went to the hardware store for a new, extra-thick wax ring, something he said the other guy should have done in the first place. This was a nightmarish experience from the beginning. I try to trust professionals will do professional work, but that's not what happened with McPherson Plumbing. I regret having called them and under no circumstances would I ever use their "services" again. If there were a way to give a half-star or none at all for this rotten experience, I would do it.

Description of Work
Water leak dripping in the kitchen from the bathroom above it.

Work Completed On 01/04/2022

Review for McDermott Plumbing - 2804 N High St, Columbus, OH - 39609706

06/25/2021

Jeremy H.

Very well. Mike McDermott analyzed the unusual drain design and was able to clear it quickly. Two other plumbers had been unsuccessful over a period of more than a year.

Description of Work
Clear a stubborn basement bathtub drain clog

Category bathtub refinishing, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 06/24/2021

03/22/2021

Amy L.

The experience went well. I called them. An appt was made for a week later between 2 and 6PM. The plumber showed up and fixed the problem. No drama.

Description of Work
Toilet repair

Category bathtub refinishing, plumbing

Work Completed On 03/18/2021

11/22/2020

Thomas H.

McDermott Plumbing was FANTASTIC!!! Affordable, quality, and friendly service!!!

Description of Work
Fixing a shower head, possible leak, and drain clean

Work Completed On 11/21/2020

11/21/2020

DIANA M.

Easy and successful once scheduled. Called and left new customer message via answering service on a Friday. No call back on Friday. Called again on Sat. AM and got owner/Mike; they had been very busy. Scheduled for Monday; 4 hr window; emailed me confirmation. Mike called about halfway through window for 30 minutes head up. Arrived around 45 min. later. Took about 1 hr. Mike plus a couple helpers to retrieve tools/clean up. They were professional -- masked, looked neat and answered my questions well. Tricky slab plumbing system to snake; Mike made sure he wasn't snaking into kitchen pipe. Smart cleaning system; nice smelling cleaner. Seemed cleaner after they left than before. They missed only a couple very minor spots. Emailed me paid invoice. Service call fee + job fee reasonable given COVID. Nice Angies list discount on job fee. I'd use them again.

Description of Work
Unclog bathroom sink

Category basement waterproofing, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 11/21/2020

10/31/2020

Jeff C.

McDermott Plumbing never contacted me to arrange to give me an estimate. Vic the plumber made an appointment for an estimate but never showed up! Discount Drains did the work for a reasonable price and did good work.

Description of Work
Replace cast iron drain pipes.

Category drain pipe

Work Completed On 10/31/2020

10/17/2020

Joe P.

Great. Was very efficient and professional. Showed up right on time. Very fair price for the services performed. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Two toilets repaired. Outdoor faucet replaced.

Category plumbing, basement waterproofing

Work Completed On 10/13/2020

09/07/2020

Don G.

We dealt with the owner, Michael McDermott. He normally answers the phone when you call (from his cell phone on a job or wherever). I thought he was a very small operation, but he has three or four trucks and 5 or 6 licensed plumbers. Mike happens to work the neighborhood where we live, so we dealt with him on the job. We had a faulty master bathroom faucet (bad cartridge) that was 17 years old and the under counter shutoff valves wouldn't completely close. The faucet brand is out of business and its cartridge was proprietary and a replacement could not be found (we both tried). So, we had to replace the valves and both faucets (couldn't have two different ones, of course). Mike could supply them from his wholesalers, but we bought them through Amazon since Mike told me they would probably be less expensive that way. I appreciated his honesty. The installation was efficient and everything now works fine. He also showed me how to repair/replace/remove the flow restriction parts should I ever care to do so. The labor charges were reasonable and the work excellent. I highly recommend McDermott Plumbing.

Description of Work
Install new faucets and replace shutoff valves.

Work Completed On 09/01/2020

07/17/2020

Carolyn C.

The problems were diagnosed & repaired quickly. Fellows were polite & friendly.

Description of Work
Bathtub faucet leaked & stopper needed replaced.

Category plumbing, basement waterproofing

Work Completed On 07/07/2020

04/09/2020

Ron H.

Excellant work, professional quality Recommend highly and claim now that he is my plumber!!

Description of Work
Outdoor faucet replaced

Work Completed On 04/09/2020

03/19/2020

RAYMOND M.

I called on a Tuesday morning and Michael, the plumber, came out that afternoon to assess the problem. He arrived the next day in the early afternoon and fixed the problem. Prompt and great service. So far, everything is working perfectly.

Description of Work
Repair a leak in my bathroom drain.

Work Completed On 03/19/2020

03/04/2020

Al C.

Found Cylinder in Faucet was bad. Replaced the Cylinder

Description of Work
Leaky Kitchen Faucet

Work Completed On 02/25/2020

02/25/2020

Leonard B.

Fantastic. Professional. Mr. McDermott even replaced our tub spout on the same trip when we pointed out a leak in the ceiling. He knew right what to do. Amazing. The only thing we expected was the water heater replacement, which also went splendidly.

Description of Work
Water heater replacement.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Work Completed On 02/25/2020

01/08/2020

Marcia M.

Excellent service - I will ALWAYS call McDermott Plumbing!!!

Description of Work
installation of new tankless water heater

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Work Completed On 12/04/2019

09/23/2019

Eric D.

McDermott Plumbing consulted with me by phone, and based on my description of the issue and age of the water heater, recommended replacement. McDermott was very responsive in getting here and installing a new unit by the next day after I contacted them. The owner, Michael, and the plumber who came on site were both informative and customer-service oriented.

Description of Work
Replacement of water heater.

Category water heater repair

Work Completed On 09/05/2019

05/22/2019

Vince P.

Showed up on time and completed work. It was done by spot in normal biz hours, not an emergency. There were no parts used for repair. The total bill was for Labor. From the time he showed up to the time I paid him was a total of 45 minutes- which comes to $600/hr.

Description of Work
Clear bathroom sink drain

Work Completed On 05/21/2019

03/19/2019

Steve J.

Great service. Fair price. Stand behind their work even when things didn’t go as planned. Highly recommend and look forward to working with them again.

Description of Work
Leaking toilet

10/11/2018

Brian L.

The original plumber referred me to another plumber who was a better fit for the issue. He fixed the issue.

Description of Work
Sweet line cleanout.

Work Completed On 09/27/2018

08/29/2018

Neil B.

Michael was excellent. He quickly diagnosed our water pressure issue ordered the necessary part and after scheduling a return visit, installed and verified the solution was working. While he was here he also replaced s toilet shutoff valve. He is a trustworthy person who offered advice and suggestions for some other non-urgent plumbing projects and never tried to pressure us into doing more work than we wanted. Michael will be my first and only call for any future plumbing work.

Description of Work
Poor water pressure in shower.

Work Completed On 08/16/2018

08/13/2018

SHELLY C.

Seemed very knowledgeable (more so than the last time that shower handle had broken). Hopefully this will all hold up better!

Description of Work
Handle to the shower had broken and toilet was running a leak

07/18/2018

Lawrence K.

This is one of those very few times where everything was as it should be. Michael McDermott excelled at every step of the process, from the estimate to the installation. His communication skills are excellent, he is congenial, and did the work I wanted in a professional manner. When he was finished with his work, he left my home intact- no debris to clean or furniture to move. I will definitely use him as my first choice for plumbing work.

Description of Work
new water line installation, replace disposall

Work Completed On 07/18/2018

07/11/2018

Mary M.

I called 3 companies rated A on Angie's list. Only McDermott Plumbing answered the phone. (The other 2 never even responded to the messages I left). Michael scheduled an appointment, showed up on time. Fixed the problem. Professional and Helpful. A few weeks later I encountered another issue. He was able to refer me to another professional to resolve it. This is the kind of company you want to develop a relationship with. I am so glad I found them.

Description of Work
Drains Cleaned

Category plumbing, drain cleaning