McCullough's Tree Service

Founded 1977 • With Angi since November 2010

2335 West Dublin Granville Rd

Columbus, OH 43235

Founded in 1977, McCullough's Tree Service has nearly 30 years in the tree care business in central Ohio. During that time, we have earned a reputation as the area’s leading expert in tree care and as a company known for exemplary service, quality workmanship and longstanding client relationships. Owned and managed by Wess McCullough, an ISA certified arborist, McCullough’s Tree Service has grown and evolved over the years to serve a growing number of commercial and residential customers in Licking, Muskingum and surrounding Counties. Service quality and professionalism can also be measured by a company’s affiliations with associations that set the standard of excellence for their industry. McCullough’s is an active member of the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA) and the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA). Our certified arborists will inspect your landscape, diagnose any problems, make recommendations based upon years of experience. A tree service estimate is provided at no charge. McCullough’s arborists offer expertise in tree inventory analysis, risk assessment, tree management planning, risk mitigation and construction management. Arborists are educated in arboriculture, the art and science of planting, caring for and maintaining trees. At McCullough’s, our arborists are dedicated and passionate professional tree care consultants who receive continuous education, instruction, and certification in the latest arborist techniques equipment....

05/26/2018

CARL F.

This was the 2nd time I hired to remove some trees in my yard. Rich was polite and explained every in detail. They were able to come out the next week to remove the honeysuckle trees. Everything went smooth.

Description of Work
Had several Honeysuckle trees removed in my backyard.

04/04/2018

Debbie O.

Great company to work with. The guy pruning my trees listened to all of my concerns, we talked about specific limbs he would prune and he did an amazing job. I have had them prune my trees twice and would definitely hire again.

Description of Work
pruning of trees

10/05/2017

John P.

Rich and team did a great job on all counts. Area was clean and all work performed exactly as planned. I was referred to McCullough from my previous provide Moore and Son's (retired).

Description of Work
Trimmed 2 large locust, 1 ash, 1 scotch pine and removed large oak (50ft or more) and redbud.

04/21/2017

Suzanne D.

Rich was great to work with on the estimate & scheduling of work. Rich & the crew arrived in the morning right when they said they would. The team of Trace, Mike , and James were great to work with. They were very courteous and respectful of our property. Trace & Mike were very knowledgeable and passionate about trees. They worked very hard all day to get the job done. They cleaned up very thoroughly. I would definitely hire them again and recommend them to anyone. It was a very positive experience.

Description of Work
Had 13 large oak trees trimmed & dead wood removed plus 3 smaller trees trimmed away from house & canopies raised. I used the Columbus location in Linworth. Rich was great to work with on the estimate & scheduling of service. Price was very competitive to other estimates I received.

04/12/2017

DOROTHY U.

Very well. They did a very good job, and did an excellent job of cleaning up.

Description of Work
Needed 2 large trees trimmed.

02/21/2017

Craig S.

It was horrible since they never called back. I called them multiple times and left voicemail's, and all that stuff. That's just part of the business. I guess they would just call back whoever they think is going to be a decent job. I just needed one tree trimmed. I cannot stand providers that will not call you back. If it's too small and they don't want to do the job because they're not going to make enough money for the job. That's fine, just be honest with me and tell me what's going on, but don't not call me back. Raise the price to the point where there is so much pain for me to use the vendor, and that's fine, but at least call me back and tell me.

Description of Work
I never did use them. They never called me back.

12/07/2016

shelley H.

The team did a great job. They are knowledgeable, professional, polite and helpful. We used the Granville office for our work.

Description of Work
Tree limbs removed from large trees; cut up and remove wood and brush. Clean up areas.

08/08/2016

Elizabeth L.

Cutting down the tree and all of the clean-up was completed in a couple hours. They were very efficient and professional.

Description of Work
One large tree close to the house removed.

06/14/2016

ALISA & ARTIE I.

The crew was cordial, polite, and professional. They cleaned up after themselves.

Description of Work
Trimmed 6 individual tree/bushes and 1 hedge

04/28/2016

KATHLEEN M.

This is the second time we've had McCulloughs remove large trees. They do very good work, clean up well, and the prices are fair. Stephan (the arborist/manager at the Columbus/161 site) is extremely responsive to inquiries and quick in getting estimates and scheduling the crew. I wouldn't hesitate to hire McCulloughs again and strongly recommend them.

Description of Work
Removal of two tree and stump grinding.

09/15/2015

Karla S.

Revision: My prior rating was a D based on the comments below. Since my review was posted, they contacted me with a reasonable explanation of why their email estimate did not go through. They were prompt and professional in dealing with my negative review. Original: They were slow to respond to my two voicemails, but eventually came out to my house to look at the work. Upon leaving, I was told I would have an estimate via email very soon. Three weeks later, nothing.

Description of Work
They came to our house, looked at the work to be done and said I'd have an estimate via email ASAP.

06/20/2015

EDWINA C.

The work was handled quickly and efficiently at a reasonable price and the crew was pleasant. We were very pleased and would definitively use McCullough's again if we need major tree work.

Description of Work
Removed three thirty foot trees and ground down the stumps. Also did extensive trimming on a fourth tree and hauled off all the yard waste including trimming I had previously done myself on two smaller trees.

05/18/2015

Maile B.

They were able to get to us the next day, so I was very pleased with the responsiveness. The cost was higher than I expected for a single tree. I had them chip the brush, but leave all the wood in big sections, so I was thinking maybe closer to $1K - $1200, but anytime the term "emergency" comes into play the price will go up. My only beef, and it's a minor one, is that they tore up the yard pretty good. I thought maybe some plywood or blocks under the outriggers of the truck may have reduced damage, but all in all that's what happens when you drive equipment out onto a lawn, and that was the only way to get to this tree.

Description of Work
Removed a tree that was damaged and needed to be dropped.

01/13/2015

TOM B.

They are excellent. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

Description of Work
They trimmed and cabled our trees and sprayed for fungus. We have an ongoing contract with them.

Category tree service

Thank you! We love helping our clients!

12/23/2014

Michael R.

I wasn't home but they did a nice job. Cleaned up after the work was done. I will use again in the future.

Description of Work
Have several trees removed my house. I also had stumps removed.

12/19/2014

CHRISTOPHER W.

The tree survived the polar vorticies of the Winter (2014) to full-leaf in the ensuing Spring. It still lost leaves early again. Not sure what that was about. Nevertheless, we will wait to see how the tree fares in the Spring of 2015 to determine if more help is needed. The free estimate was nice, and I would call McCullough's again if the tree requires further evaluations.

Description of Work
An arborist from McCullogh's came to inspect leaf loss on small-leaf Linden tree in front of house. We thought the tree might be dying. After inspecting the tree, the aborist recommended that we remove English Ivy growing around the base of the tree approx. 2-4 feet. He also suspected unusually hot/dry summer of 2013 contributed to early leaf loss, and he opined that the tree was otherwise fine.

12/03/2014

Harris W.

They did a great job and were easy to work with. They thinned the trees out while leaving a pleasing shape and setting them up for the next several years. They cleaned everything up and couldn't have been nicer.

Description of Work
I had a couple of crab apple trees that hadn't been trimmed in several years. I was able to easily work out an estimate and set up an appointment, despite some scheduling issues on my end.

09/28/2014

CARL F.

Stephan's crew did an excellent job removing a large maple tree in my front yard. Their estimate was the cheapest after checking around. Stephan gave me a 24 hour notice of when his crew would arrive. The 2 man crew arrived around 8;30 am and tree was down to it's stump and all limbs shredded in just 45 minutes. Had them grind the stump and all the surface roots to ground level. They did an good job cleaning up after themselves. They did rake and left a pile of grinded wood mulch that I had to clean up and spread around. I will definitely consider hiring again when I plan to plant new trees next spring.

Description of Work
Removed large maple tree

Category landscaping, tree service

08/31/2014

CATHERINE P.

Everything from start to finish was great - and I am typically a tough critic. (I believe his name was), Stephan, was very timely in coming out for an estimate for tree removal. He did a nice job of recommending other services that would be of value. Some I agreed to, a few I did not; it was never sales pressure, just professionalism. Estimate itemized and e-mailed. The prices for the services seemed very reasonable. Once estimate agreed to - that was it. By next week end, work was done "beautifully" and thoroughly. I was very pleased. This team is professional, easily accessible by cell phone, and responsive - they made it very easy to get it done. And, while I will not go into detailing of the handling of the surprise ginormous wasp nest, it was equally impressive.

Description of Work
McCullough's removed two large dying trees, trimmed/pruned several others, and removed some wild shrubbery clutter.

06/24/2014

MARTHA K.

My 10 year old ash tree was infected with the emerald ash borer in 2012. I opted to have it treated by McCullough. There was no guarantee the treatment would save the tree. In fact after 2 years a large section of the tree did not leaf out. I called McCullough and over the course of 2 weeks, Stephen checked the tree several times and agreed the dead section would not recover. I wanted a new tree and was surprised when told it could be planted in the same place as the old. And if done at the same time - removing the old tree, grinding the stump, preping the ground and planting the new tree - the cost for the total job would be less. Stephen gave me the name of a book and a web site with good tree selections for the Columbus area. I narrowed the choice to 3 and Stephen suggested the Japanese Zelkova. Stephen checked inventory, gave me a price and we set a day for the work. Work was delayed one day by rain. Workmen and equipment started arriving about 15 minutes before the scheduled hour. The old ash was removed, The stump was ground out and my new tree planted. The guys worked safely and kept cleaning up debris as they progressed. Before leaving, they gave me care instructions and said they would be driving by now and then to check up on the tree.

Description of Work
Removed an infected ash tree and planted a new shade tree in its place.

Category tree service

Thank You! It was our pleasure to assist you with the replacement of your tree.

11/11/2013

KEVIN W.

Good work. Cleaned-up after themselves. Windy weekend followed and not one branch fell in the yard - Good Job! I feel prepared if we have an ICE storm.

Description of Work
Trimmed Trees per instructions. Trimmed a limb hanging over the house and around the chimney. Thinned out a 55 Foot maple tree.

10/21/2013

Elizabeth L.

They arrived exactly when they said they would and everything was cleaned up neatly when they were finished.

Description of Work
They cut down 9 trees and removed all the brush and ground the stumps. They also removed most of the trunks except for the ones that we asked them to leave for us to cut into firewood.

10/01/2013

Richard C.

I had been intending to contact an arborist to diagnose a declining Maple tree when a storm broke off a neighbor's large pine tree which fell into one of my large Maple trees. I contacted an A rated tree company that I've been happy with from past work to diagnose the declining Maple and take care of all the storm damage and debris. They identified the problem as a girdling root which was strangling the tree at the base. Although I told them that I wanted to save this mature shade tree if possible, they advised that we should just cut the tree down. Their estimate was also high compared to past estimates for comparable work. In looking for a service to provide a second opinion a friend recommended McCullough's Tree service. McCullough's responded quickly to my email and were out the next day to provide an estimate. They recommended pruning the girdling root although they advised that it was impossible to say whether the tree would recover. They also provided a lower cost estimate for the other pruning work and debris cleanup. I advised McCullough's within a week that I wanted to schedule the work. It took several weeks to get the work scheduled so it was nearly a month from the time of the estimate to completion of the work. From my experience this isn't unusual for a tree company during the busy summer months. Overall I was pleased with McCullough's for this service. Now it's a matter of waiting to see if the tree recovers.

Description of Work
Clean up a large amount of debris from a tree that fell onto one of my trees and prune the storm damage. Minor pruning of storm damage from another medium sized tree. Prune a girdling root that was strangling a medium sized Maple tree.

09/21/2013

Jill U.

I got a recommendation on them from a friend. They responded to me fast and he's a certified arborist. I am excited for when they come out and trim the tree.

Description of Work
I plan on using them to trim a tree.

08/07/2013

Lindsay L.

We were received a quote shortly after we called. They did a great job. The trees was very large and hung over the house. McCullough's took the time to carefully cut them down without causing any damage to my home and little damage to my yard.

Description of Work
McCullough Tree service removed two trees for us.