Jones Topsoil Co

Founded 1924 • With Angi since August 1995

Jones Topsoil was incorporated in 1924 under the name Jones Fuel Co. 2015 is our 91st anniversary. We sold residential coal for home furnaces in the Columbus, Ohio area. As natural gas became the fuel of choice in the 1950’s we began hauling topsoil, sand and gravel, and limestone for contractors and homeowners. Although our corporate name is still Jones Fuel Co., we do not sell any fuel. Our topsoil has always been of the highest quality because we normally strip topsoil ahead of gravel operations. Our soil is called “sandy loam” topsoil and usually comes from along Franklin County Rivers and streams. We sell three types of topsoil. SoilPlus, which is a blended topsoil, and can be delivered with our Slinger Jones trucks, is normally used for flower beds and gardens. Pulverized topsoil is our rich topsoil run through a large grinder and made easy to work with and spread. That soil is used to level out lawns and fill areas that need built up with soil. Our regular, un-pulverized topsoil is used to fill deep holes, or when the customer is using a skid loader to spread the topsoil. We also sell and deliver high quality mulch, sand & gravel, and limestone products. Because we have so many trucks, we are normally able to deliver on the same day as the order is placed, and normally within a few hours. 40 Employees. Uses subs. Cost is determined by the job. Travel charges apply. DBA Jones Fuel Co. Previous contact - John Jones. Award winning. Additional phone - (800) 867-7645....

A Service Provider's profile image

+3 more images

mulch delivering (145)stone & gravel (35)lawn care (4)excavating (2)

10/08/2020

Sharon M.

Could not have gone better. Driver was ontime, placed the topsoil where I wanted it on our driveway turnaround and away he went. If we need anything that Jones provides in the future, we will purchase from them.

Description of Work
Needed 4cy of topsoil. Liked the price and availability.

Category excavators, mulch

Work Completed On 10/07/2020

06/11/2018

John F.

Top soil was delivered promptly - driver was very accommodating on where the topsoil needed to be placed.

Description of Work
Top soil delivered

Work Completed On 05/19/2018

05/14/2018

Richard H.

Awesome! The delivery driver was very professional and courteous. Very pleased with the end result!!

Description of Work
Utilized the Slinger Jones service to spread 8 yards of topsoil.

Work Completed On 04/21/2018

07/31/2017

Karen C.

This is the best service ever!! We had 6 yards of dirt delivered to our house via the dirt slinger. He showed up on time and was very professional. The dirt was slung into the two areas we needed, which significantly cut down on the back-breaking work. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Description of Work
6 yards of dirt delivered

Work Completed On 07/29/2017

12/12/2016

keith B.

Quick, excellent quality materials and resulting garden too much to keep up with

Description of Work
Three different deliveries of various soil mixes

Work Completed On 12/12/2016

11/14/2016

Diane B.

Wonderful! I have used this company many times and they are so great to work with each time. This time I placed an order on line and they called to just confirm. Then called when on their way. Seamless! The person who operates the Slinger is just the best! He "places" the gravel with profession!! A huge thanks again! Nice job!

Description of Work
Gravel for driveway

Work Completed On 11/10/2016

05/09/2016

Keith G.

Everything was great and the quality of the soil is excellent. The call from the delivery driver was appreciated. My only complaint is I used the website and put in my dimensions and ended up with WAY to much. I could have used 1 cu yard versus the 2 that the website calculation had. It made for a mad scramble to give A LOT away to my neighbors. Some of this is on me and I should have called and confirmed because I think the site must calculate anything over 1 cu yard to then go to 2. If I used more than 1, it couldn't have been by much. I would have rather bought one and then bought a couple of bags to do the rest. Otherwise, great company...great service, just don't be lazy like me and call.

Description of Work
Provided 2 cu. yds of supersoil. I used the online site and put in the dimensions of my raised vegetable boxes and they delivered to my driveway exactly the time i requested. They even called prior to delivery to see what side of the driveway I wanted it on. I didn't have the boxes built yet or I would have definitely go the slinger service.

Work Completed On 05/06/2016

04/23/2016

Diane C.

Jay, the driver, went out of his way to "sling" the dirt where we wanted it. He did not have much room to work in, but he was able to put the dirt exactly where we wanted it. Kudos to Jay for being friendly and extremely professional. Office staff was also very helpful when I placed the order.

Description of Work
Delivered Supersoil

Work Completed On 04/23/2016

03/09/2016

Charles B.

I was quite disappointed with Jones Topsoil. I needed limestone for my driveway. I called and ordered 20 tons of size 57 limestone. I told the person I ordered from that I wanted it 'tailgated'. Well, the driver called before coming and was punctual. But he apparently wasn't familiar with 'tailgating'. He didn't even know how to fasten the chains to his tailgate. I needed approx. 300 ft. of driveway gravel. He dumped it all in a 50' stretch. I had to get equipment to move the gravel to where it was needed. I called Jones Topsoil and the only answer I got was that they couldn't guarantee 'tailgating'. If they are going to advertise driveway aggregate, they certainly should train their drivers on how to dump it. The only professionalism I observed was that the driver did call before delivering and he was on time.

Description of Work
Delivered 20T of driveway limestone

Work Completed On 03/09/2016

05/09/2015

STEVEN M.

Everything went well. We had a backyard drainage project this week and the tracks left by the backhoe in our side yard prompted me to have Jones Topsoil deliver dirt to cover those tracks and cover numerous roots in the yard from our oak and pine trees. The only problem was we didn't have anyone but ourselves (age 56+) to spread the topsoil, so that is still in process bit by bit. Rick did a marksmanship demonstration putting the topsoil right where it needed to be, working around the trees and a lamp post.

Description of Work
They delivered 16 cubic yards of topsoil .

Work Completed On 05/09/2015

04/25/2015

Ottis C.

Jones Top Soil Review I had placed an order for a 30? x 34? and 5? x 14? so 1090 Square foot of #57 Lime Stone with Jones. I informed them I was concerned about the weight of the truck that would be delivering it due to the fact they had to drive up my asphalt driveway to dump the stone. I was informed on the initial quote it would be 8 tons and they could deliver it in a single axel truck and it would be $270. The driver called ahead and showed up right on time but in a 33k lb dump truck. I asked the driver about the single axel truck and he informed me this is what he was sent out with and he would contact the office. The driver was nice and polite but when he returned the office informed him they couldn?t fit 8 tons in a single axel truck. I then called the office and spoke with Jack Fink. He informed me that the dump truck would probably weigh less per axel than the single axel truck with 8 tons of gravel. He also followed up with a waiver would have to be signed clearing them of any damage caused to the asphalt by their truck. I then inquired what would be the weight per tire then since they should know the weights of his truck. His reply ?That math makes my head hurt just thinking about it.? His next reply was, ?Are you sure you need 8 tons?. I informed him that his people calculated it for me at 2 inches deep with the previous mentioned measurements. He then replied with, that should be 9 tons. I replied with how about a single axel makes two trips and was informed that would be more. The amount for a second delivery would be a total of $390. With that reply, I posed the weight per axel question again to consider the weight distribution. This time Jack replied the dump truck is probably heavier than the single axel. I asked about the contract we made over the phone and mentioned how they already took my credit card information and all. His reply was, we don?t have any business because they haven?t processed my card yet. In short I sent the driver home and wrote this review so people are aware of the business practices of Jones Top Soil and how Jack Fink will attempt to mislead you in shady business practices.

Description of Work
They were going to deliver 8 tons of gravel for an area behind my house.

Category lawn service

Work Completed On 04/25/2015

01/27/2015

Ron R.

They were extremely prompted in arriving at the scheduled time and managed to dump and grade the gravel to our satisfaction without a lot of direction. They were very pleasant on phone and telling us best solution for our situation and driver was very nice as well. Will definitely use them again'

Description of Work
Provided gravel for our driveway and side parking area. They dumped it and graded it and made it very easy for us.

Work Completed On 10/07/2014

12/23/2014

David B.

Womnderful provider. De;ivered on time and placed product where I needed it.

Description of Work
delivered gravel and topsoil.

Work Completed On 08/01/2014

10/31/2014

Robert C.

He was really wonderful. They've been really good. They were very prompt and easy to work with. All of it was kind of expensive but it was very comparable to other companies. Everything just went perfectly. We used the literally from August and we just had them come back last week. We had used them six times. We've used them many times and they've always been prompt, punctual and the price that was quoted. Everything's just worked out great. I don't have dates but they have been out to our house at least four separate occasions and probably about six or eight loads. I would say at least one in August, two in September and then we just had one last week. They brought 20-22 tonnes of gravel, an entire truckload. They place it and put it around where we had the concrete done and the finished the driveway. They were on time and polite on the phone, all those things matter when you're sending thousands of dollars. Their pricing was comparable to everyone else; we used some random smaller company and it sounded like we got a much cheaper deal, but then when they came, they charged us a delivery fee of $125 or something and it took away all the savings. I was very happy with the price.

Description of Work
We have used Jones Topsoil for our gravel hauling needs. We had them do our driveway and they brought two loads. Then we had them bring three different loads for the barn that we had concreted because we did some of the preliminary work ourselves and that included leveling out the gravel and stuff so we had the gravel delivered for that. Then now, after everything done, we had them bring one last load just to make the driveway to the barn match the driveway out front.

Category pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 10/17/2014

06/16/2014

Philip S.

The slinger truck put it right where I needed it. They came in shot it where it belongs. Very little miss as far as where I wanted it. They did a good job.

Description of Work
topsoil

Work Completed On 06/10/2014

06/14/2014

Terry L.

Driver was excellent placed gravel as directed, tailgated 30 tons up the driveway, dumped remainder where directed. Driver was courtesy and professional in working with us to place as noted above. Will definitely use to deliver additional products in the future. The only reason for a B rating on punctuality was driver had to make second trip to deliver all materials instead of sending a second truck, with the first delivery Thanks for a job well done!!

Description of Work
Provided 40 tons of #57 limestone for driveway and various projects around property

Category lawn service, pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 06/13/2014

06/05/2014

Jay O.

Really fast. Called in the order at 8:30 and received delivery by 9:30 AM same day!

Description of Work
delivered 2 tons of soil

Work Completed On 06/05/2014

06/02/2014

Dawn J.

They arrived during the timeframe I chose - 10-12. They arrived around 10:45 and delivered the topsoil where we asked. The quality of the dirt seems great as we had grass growing in a few days. No complaints. I would use them again.

Description of Work
Delivered topsoil

Work Completed On 05/31/2014

05/09/2014

Joe K.

Horrible customer service. I was hung up on when I inquired about delivery. Its really hard to believe they are in business with so many good providers of mulch and soil. Please do not use this company.

Description of Work
I tried to them to deliver top soil and the constantly missed delivery dates.

Category lawn service

Work Completed On 05/09/2014

05/05/2014

Erin M.

Jones Topsoil was incredibly easy to work with. Ordering online was easy and delivery was prompt. We saved time and money by ordering from Jones.

Description of Work
We bought 7 cubic feet of topsoil to fill an excavated pond.

Category excavators, mulch

Work Completed On 04/10/2014

04/27/2014

William H.

Delivered on the exact day and time that I wanted delivery. Driver was very polite and helpful. Did his best to lay the gravel down where I needed to go. He did a great job working around overhanging trees.

Description of Work
Delivered 15 tones of gravel for my driveway and a building project.

Cost $393.3

Work Completed On 04/25/2014

03/14/2014

TIM K.

driver called 20 minutes out, as requested, showed up on time, wriggled the truck thru an alley with 3" clearance, dumped the gravel as requested. totally recommend.

Description of Work
5 tons of gravel for parking area of rental property

Work Completed On 03/13/2014