HOGG HEATING & COOLING

Founded 1990 • With Angi since November 1999

4.1

7650 State Road

Cleveland, OH 44134

10 EMPLOYEES. NO SUBS. COST IS DETERMINED BY THE JOB. TRAVEL CHARGE OF $19.95 APPLIES. SERVICE FEE OF $97.95 APPLIES AS OF 7/22/08. MAY CONTACT THROUGH E-MAIL. ALTERNATE CONTACT: JACK DINNIN. 1093...

07/11/2017

Bruce D.

An old furnace that we had broke down and they were over immediately to provide a new one and it get installed and working for us. They were fine on all aspects. What I like the most was how quickly they responded to our needs.

Description of Work
They install my unit. We had a furnace and we also had an Aprilaire filter.

06/05/2017

Leah S.

They're always very good. I would say use them. They are wonderful.

Description of Work
They just checked to make sure that the furnace was working properly and the air conditioner. They made sure everything was in good maintenance order.

05/18/2015

Sharon C.

I called on 5/11/15 an answering service took my name and number stating they would call me to schedule my appt. They returned my call later that same day and scheduled an appt. for 5/14/15. My a/c was working fine but wasn't as cold as I thought it should be. A tech came out to my home, arriving at 9am and leaving 9:45am. The total charge was 279.95. I was charged a service call of 97.95! When the appt. was scheduled they never mentioned a service charge of any kind so I was quite surprised to see one. I thought service charges happened when they come out for your convenience not a scheduled appt. four days later? When I called back the next day to discuss the charges, my concerns were not heard. I was told if they come out and the unit isn't working right they charge a service fee. I personally think that's ridiculous. My unit was working they FIXED nothing!! Pouring a solution over the outside unit and rinsing it with water and adding Freon is not FIXING anything! The customer service received when I called about this charge was unreal. I was cut off and told to have a blessed day before being hung up on. Length of the whole conversation was about 2 min. I would recommend giving your business to a company interested in retaining you as a future customer. I was trying to be loyal since I used them the year prior. Think about it or you might get stuck paying way more than you expected for 45 min. of easy work!!

Description of Work
A/C cleaning, acid bath, refilled Freon

02/08/2015

Mary B.

they were a little late but only a little and did call to say they were running late. They were in and out quickly. I thought they were a little pricey but, I had no heat so you have little choice in the matter of vendor.

Description of Work
replaced flame sensor.

10/07/2014

Renee L.

These guys are awful. That was a racket. I would never ever have them back out. They lied. I was having a problem with my furnace. I just called these guys, because I saw their truck in the neighborhood. I was like, "Okay, neighborhood guys. Sounds good." He comes out to the house and tells me that I needed a furnace motor blower and I needed the furnace cleaned. I had it cleaned and then he tells me that this blower motor is going to be like $1500 and I might as well just buy a whole new furnace. And I thought, "Great, I'm going to buy a new furnace." So I went and checked out. I looked up the prices of blower motors and all the stuff. The part that he was trying to tell me I needed for $1500 was $130. I paid the guy $100 to put it in. It did require a lot of assembly. He had to take certain things apart in the furnace in order to replace this motor. It was a $130 part. But then I got this guy from Hogg that kept sending me this information and tell me that why don't I follow-up with him. I really need a furnace. So he sent me a proposal for a furnace that was actually no longer to be sold. I don't know if they're supposed to be a certain percentage of efficiency. Whatever he was trying to sell me, he wrote up this whole quote. I saved it for a long time because I was like, "I should do something about this." He wrote up a quote for a furnace that was antiquated and was trying to sell it to me and kept sending me brochures and sending me requests to talk. This guy was trying to install an obsolete furnace that didn't meet standards anymore. So I wouldn't call them. For the service call, he charged me $100 or $125 or something like that. It was something absurd because he didn't actually do anything, other than tell me I needed a blower motor which he didn't have and couldn't fix. So I still didn't have heat. They came out when they said they were coming out. But it was a whole scam. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
I used Hogg. I called them two years ago.

06/03/2014

Adam B.

Joe came out and was right on time and very professional and courteous. He cleaned out the furnace and made sure that the heat exchange was not cracked. He replaced the filter and the thermocouple. Made sure that the furnace was working properly and everything was good before we bought the house.

Description of Work
Clean and inspect the furnace. He also checked to make sure that the we had enough water pressure.

02/17/2014

Tony G.

My mother has a boiler system with water running through pipes to heat her home. Once when the furnace went out, one of the pipes burst so she gets very upset when she has furnace problems. When it was very cold, her furnace went out and she called various repair companies that said they were 24 hours, not getting hold of any. One called back and said they could be there at 8:00 am. Hogg called at 6:00 am and said they could get there sooner. They came out and spent hours on the phone with the boiler company, cleaned the lines and pronounced it working. They got it working but it went off again. They came out again, did some more and it went off again. They came back and replaced a part. In all, they were out 4 times, replaced a part and had it working for less than a week before it went out again. We had my mother call a different, he replaced the part they replaced with a different part and it has been working for the past month. While they did not charge for each house call, they did rack up hours for essentially trying to figure out what to do and in the end, not fixing it. It cost my mother $800 and she ended up right where she started.

Description of Work
4 visits to repair my mother's boiler furnace, but never actually got it repaired.

01/07/2014

David A N.

I had set up the service call over a week ahead of time on a day I had off from work due to the Thanksgiving holiday week. The HVAC tech was prompt and courteous and went to work right away to inspect, clean and repair malfunctioning humidifier. Everything seemed to go OK. A week or two later, the furnace would not stay lit consistently due to a malfunctioning vacuum switch which senses the burner flame within so many seconds or else it shuts off the gas supply. I had to call them out late one night because the house was cold due to the furnace shutting off. The next service call was two days later when the owner, Jack himself came to fix the problem by replacing the twin vacuum switches used in my two-stage furnace type. Jack di a fine job of installing the new parts and getting the furnace back up and running smoothly. My only issue was with the service call charge for coming back out to fix something that I feel should have been spotted during the first repair. To be fair, I understand that some things have to reveal themselves in due course of a mechanical repair. But I mentioned the problem of the furnace shutting off constantly before the first scheduled repair call. Hogg installed my furnace and A/C over ten years ago and otherwise it has been running just fine.

Description of Work
Cleaned & inspected. Changed filter (my own) repaired humidifier valve. Later had problems with furnace shutting off after ignition which resulted in another service call.

01/06/2014

John H.

Hogg Heating has been my sole provider for furnace and AC maintenance since 2005. I have also referred them to friends who have also used them successfully. They have always done a great job for me, been fair, and been sure to explain the issues and options available. Just before Christmas 2013 my furnace was having issues. Hogg suggested we replace the motor to which I agreed. A couple days later another major component (unrelated to the first issue) on my furnace gave way. Looking at the fix vs. cost options available with my Hogg Rep, I decided to simply replace the furnace with a new one. Hogg credited me the cost of the new motor and put it towards the cost of the new furnace. They prioritized my case since my furnace wasn't running great as it was my house was losing heat. The new furnace is running fine thus far and I thank Hogg for making it happen! They worked with me every step of the way - and I appreciate that!

Description of Work
Installed a new furnace

12/16/2013

Debi C.

My pilot light goes out every summer on my furnace- this year I called Hogg Heating to ask how much it would cost to light it- first I was told it was the cost of a service call which is $98 so I said no thank you- they then lowered it and said $69.00 - this was the same price as their special to clean your furnace so I asked for the cleaning since the pilot light would be lit when they were done. The worker came and after he did the what I thought was just a cleaning he produced a bill for over $334!! He said it was old an needed repairs- my point was he never asked me if I wanted the repairs and I never knew he was doing anything more than cleaning it. When I said this he took out the cost of the cleaning. I felt very pressured and this was being done in front of my young son so I wrote him a check. I went in the house and called the company and explained I had never been asked about wanting any repairs and all that was wrong was pilot light was out which happens every year- I said I would be happy to pay for the cleaning but I would be stopping payment on the check unless this could be worked out. I received a phone call back and they left a voice message (which I still have) that stated they were sorry for the and quot;mishapand quot; and then went on to threaten me with court for stealing their parts!! I immediately called them back and told them they could have their parts back but they had to put my furnace back together the way it was since I never authorized them to take it apart- this led to the woman yelling and screaming and saying she was calling the police on me and they were on their way to arrest me for stealing and she hung up. I called back and she picked up the phone and hung up. I called again and another woman answered the phone- I told her they could get their parts but they needed to come now and they needed to put my furnace back together. The repairman (who I believe is also the owner) then called and screamed at me. He came to my home and in front of my son said I obviously did not care about my family because I didn't want my furnace fixed and as he was leaving (again in front of my son) yelled that I was lucky because the police were coming to take me to jail for stealing!! Needless to say my son and I were very upset. I might add I reported this to the BBB and they did not respond for 6 weeks then gave false statements (I have the voice mail on my phone they left me). My response to the BBB is not posted because though they had 6 weeks I only had 7 days and that included holidays. So it says it was satisfactorily resolved but it was not. I did note that to perform work on someone's appliances or home without their consent is in violation of the Ohio Administrative Code. Beyond that- to not take responsibility is unprofessional- I never said I was keeping their parts - I wanted to talk to them about it.

Description of Work
Provider was scheduled for a cleaning and lighting of my pilot light- but he did work on it saying it was broke but never asked me if that was ok or gave me an estimate (I was home). Additionally they threatened me with the police and being arrested in front on my young son.

08/12/2013

Andrew P.

Description of work from my invoice: They found system not touched in many years, outside unite was caked with dirt. Found that drain line was 60 ft long and all around basement perimeter of home. Filter was 100% blocked. I noticed a stream of water running from my furnace when I ran my A/C. After calling another company, I saw an ad in the mail for Hogg Heating and Cooling. I called and they were able to come out the next day. They were even able to move up my appointment from 5pm to 11am the same day they were scheduled to arrive once I told them I had an appointment and might not be able to be home by 5pm. The actual work only took about a half hour. Two workers showed up (one was the owner) and they worked very efficiently. The owner did a great job of showing me what the issues were and how they would fix them. My unit was untouched for over a year (I purchased the house a year ago and no one lived in the house for the year prior). I would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Cleared blocked drain, performed A/C check. Replaced filter. Acid bath. CO2 blasted pipes and drain.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

07/10/2013

Woody J.

We have used Hogg Heating and Cooling for several years and have always been pleased with the service. In fact, we chose Hogg to install a new air conditioning unit three years ago. Unfortunately, the technician that arrived this time was not as professional as we've had in the past. He never removed his shoes and tracked mud and grease throughout several of our rooms. When my husband called to let the owner know, her response was and quot;I'll let him know.and quot; Not even an apology. My husband had to spend several hours steam cleaning the carpets to remove the stains. Not the kind of service that I've come to expect from this provider.

Description of Work
Our air conditioning unit required Freon.

07/08/2013

Gene D.

They put a new filter in and checked the freon etc. We are very happy with them and have used them for over 20 years. We plan on using them in the fall for an update of our furnace.

Description of Work
Hogg did a service call for an update of our a/c.

05/20/2013

cheryl E.

Installed furnace but no filter which we did not realize until 4-6 weeks later. We had another company come in to clean carpets and ducts just before furnace install. We had to add another room building into attic space. They recommended we change furnace filter when work competed but we could not find the filter only to find they never installed one. We also paid extra to have new duct work for anticipated new room. We described what we needed to have duct work around edge of room but when installed they put it down the middle because it was easier then making bends. We had to bring them back out to make necessary changes.

Description of Work
Installed new furnace and duct work to replace a 40 year old furnace in a condo.

05/13/2013

Jeffrey B.

Time for the furnace tune up and filter replacement. The Hogg crew was here on time, tuned up the furnace and replaced the filter. As the furnace was starting up, it was very noisy. The technicians then stayed to evaluate and found a malfunctioning part. They were able to find a replacement. The part was under warranty so we were happy. Overall, the work was good and timely and the crew was friendly.

Description of Work
Furnace tune up, and filter replacement.

11/11/2011

Tim B.

Two years ago we paid $1,600 to have Jack install a heating zone in our house, using our existing boiler. That system never worked correctly, as it overheated one part of the house and under heated another. We tried to have him out to fix it this year but he failed to show the first time and was late without calling the second time. Then, he provided an estimate of nearly $1,000 to install an additional valve that should have been installed the first time around. That hardly seems right given what we already paid $1,600. if he had properly estimated the job two years ago, we would probably elected to go a different direction. Installing a separate forced-air furnace for the one room in question would only have cost of $2,000. To boot, his wife on the phone was very unpleasant. I've worked with Jack for 10 years. He installed our boiler and my heating system in the garage but I think we will have to move on to someone else at this time.

Description of Work
Installed heating zone for one room.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

The member has been taken care of and his issues have been resolved. As of the last service date, we have had no complaints from the customer

08/13/2011

ETTA R.

He very nice and even sent a follow up letter. Their price was more than another quote that I received. I would recommend him, he seemed like he would have been good to do business with.

Description of Work
He came and gave me a quote on a new system.

06/06/2011

Mary Beth G.

Found another company that I was very satisfied with

Description of Work
IN MY OPINION I did not receive good customer service. IN MY OPINION I would NEVER hire them again.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

I have mailed all documents and invoices to Member on 7/18/11, showing that she was never charged for any parts. She did not call yearly for routine maintenance. During the routine maintenance the flame sensor is sanded and cleaned along with the furnace. Member was left all manuals and informed that yearly maintenance is a must not only to keep the unit working well but to honor all manufacturer warranties. I have sent all documentation to Member confirming all my statements. We are confused as to why we have not heard from Member since 2009. A permit was pulled with the City of Parma and the Inspection was done on 11/2/11 which passed at that time. I am requesting that Member remove this unfavorable report at this time. Hogg Heating has honored all warranties to Member and no wrong doing was done on the part of our company.

05/11/2011

Robert S.

The furnace and A/C is less than 3 years old. The work performed was very good as far as I could tell. My only complaint was the lack of professionalism: after the service man left I had to clean up the dirt he tracked on the hall tile and basement carpet.

Description of Work
Clean and check furnace and A/C

03/18/2011

Katharine M.

I found them in the value pack. They had very reasonable rates. I intend to call them again. They were very good.

Description of Work
I hired this company to clean my furnace.

03/15/2011

Paul S.

Furnace went out one day and Hoggs was the third company I called and the first one who said they could be there in two hours or less. When technician opened the furnace he quickly determined that a safety measure had turned the furnace off and just as quickly located a dead bird that was the cause of the safety measure. He removed the bird, did some small repair, and ran some tests to make sure the furnace was working properly. He also commented on how dusty the interior was and he went out to his truck to get a vacuum and carefully cleaned the entire interior. I asked him about duct cleaning and he said he does not recommend it very often but that in our case it looked like a good idea. (They do not perform that service) He also noticed how bent my old filter was from the force of the furnace and suggested we lower the blower speed which I agreed to. The furnace runs great now and the filter no longer gets bent up. Technician was personable and efficient. I will call them again in the spring for an AC check-up.

Description of Work
Discovered a bird had flown into my furnace. Removed bird, cleaned up inside of furnace, replaced filter and did some rewiring as explained below.

01/25/2011

Diane S.

We have used them in the past and are familiar with them. They are really good.

Description of Work
We used Hogg Heating & Cooling to replace our furnace.

01/08/2011

Ellen M.

The crew was courteous, timely and did a good job. Cleaned up after themselves; I would hire again.

Description of Work
I had a break-in and all of my copper piping was stolen. They came quickly, provided an estimate and completed the job in a couple of days. They were responsive and professional.

Category water heater repair

03/29/2010

MARY J D.

They are very nice. It seems like a family run business.

Description of Work
Bought air filters from them.

11/10/2009

Trisha R.

asked for a bid to do air conditioning. after reviewing bids from a few contractors decided to replace entire system. Good job.

Description of Work
replaced old heating system, replaced duct work, added central air conditioning