Century Chimney Sweep Inc

Founded 1988 • With Angi since August 1999

4770 Briar Rd

Cleveland, OH 44135

Owner operated. No subs. Cost determined by the job. Exterior brickwork put on hold between Labor Day and the following Spring/Summer season.

07/05/2022

Martha C.

There are subcontractors who come out, fulfill their contract obligations. There are those that do not initially fulfill their contract obligations but work to come to terms with the client. Then there are contractors who do 80% of the job, blame the other contractors and the client and never satisfy their obligations. Unfortunately, Century Chimney is the latter. The work was sloppy and incomplete.

Description of Work
Repair chimney flue, cap and build forebrick

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

You contracted with us for work after you had a chimney fire. Our proposal stated you would first get a contractor to “open up wall, replace damaged wood studs, and widen the opening for fireplace. There is half of a lintel holding bricks up that also needs to be replaced so it holds the entire weight of the brick wall when the metal firebox comes out. After this work is completed, we can come in and do our work”. The "other contractors", one was your company, your family, You hired your brother, to do the demo work and framing. He made mistakes including installing wood right up to the firebox opening, which is how your house caught fire the first time. This was unsafe & against the IRC (international residential building code). We fixed his mistakes, and did not charge for the extra day labor and materials. We removed your metal firebox, built a new masonry one, and installed a stainless steel liner and smoke chamber to bring your home up to code. You then hired a plumber to install gas logs, incorrectly, covering the firebricks with soot. We sent techs to help. We agreed that smearing as attempting to clean it would have made it look worse. We asked for the owners manual so we could help you assemble the logs correctly, you did not have it. You emailed, offended, saying, "My family's business, [Member Business Removed], in business for over 60 years, ... One thing that distinguishes them from other contractors, besides their craftsmanship,…." Your house would have caught fire again due to your brothers negligence. Instead of being grateful for catching the mistakes that your family contractor (brother) made that may have cost you and your lives, at no additional charge, you write negative reviews. I suggest you better educate your brother and anyone else working for your family's company, so you do not make the same mistakes in someone elses home. At best, you will incur a large lawsuit after a fire. At worst, others lives will be lost. Gary Spolar, Owner Century Chimney Inc.

02/26/2022

Bill and Connie D.

Instead of CLEANING our chimney, they did a camera inspection and then insisted that our chimney needed major work done to it including installation of a stainless steel liner system. We paid them $125 for coming out and telling us they needed another $6400 to "fix" our Chimney. Because we were heading into warmer seasons and our chimney wasn't going to be used we held off. About 6 months later - heading into winter later in the year, we called another company to come out and CLEAN our chimney. They cleaned it, did some MINOR REPAIR work (under $1000) and we enjoyed lots of fires this past winter. BAIT AND SWITCH - all the way.

Description of Work
We hired this group to CLEAN our chimney.

Category chimney sweep

I reviewed the pictures on your inspection form that is stored in our Google files this morning. There are 1" (and larger) gaps and holes between every 2' section of clay flue tile in your fireplace chimney. This is a serious safety hazard that you are taking lightly, after we provided you with our report with the pictures that clearly show the defects throughout your fireplace chimney liner. Our technicians that were at your house on March 19th of 2021, Richard Petrella and Matt Bican, did not clean your chimney because it is unsafe to use in its current condition. I do hope you make the repairs needed with a qualified and CSIA certified chimney professional for your safety, the safety of your family, and anyone that buys your home. Your inspection report with photos is available for your insurance company should you have a chimney fire or other loss due to your negligence, and other parties with a vested interest in your property. Gary Spolar Century Chimney www.centurychimney.com

12/08/2021

Chris O.

I have used Century Chimney Sweep & Repair for 19 years. This company is the most ethical company I have ever encountered and they also completely honest and professional. Their technicians/sweeps are CSIA certified, which gives me further assurances they are competent. Way back in the day, Gary (owner) cleaned, repaired and improved my chimneys and as his company expanded, the quality always stayed the same, so I can wholeheartedly recommend this company. They also stand 100% behind their work, so if a warranty issue/claim, etc., ever arises, they 100% stand behind their work and always put their customer's safety and needs 1st -- a rare thing in today's business climate.

Description of Work
Re-line chimney

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

10/15/2019

Cathy B.

Look no further! Century Chimney saves the day, Tyler and Zach arrived on time and kept my house as clean as it was before they got here. They used a camera to inspect the inside of the liner, which no other sweep had done before. They found exposed wood that was charred, and an approximately 6" hole in the middle of the system! I had been using this fireplace for several years before I met the guys from Century!! My last sweep didn't find any of these issues. Tyler and Zach just may have saved our lives. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Description of Work
Needed Chimney cleaned out - never had it done before!

10/10/2019

Garrett H.

This crew was so friendly, and so professional. "Graham" was the name of the sweep that arrived here. They ran a camera all the way up the inside of my chimney, and found a hole where someone apparently had vented something else into it in the past. Smoke, sparks and heat could have got into my attic if they had not found this. They might have saved us from a very bad situation! They also installed a cap to keep animals out, filled in a small hole in our fireplace wall, and put our damper plate back on track.

Description of Work
Chimney Cleaning, chimney cap, reset my damper, patch a missing mortar spot in the fireplace.

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

10/04/2019

Janet K.

Tyler and Zachary from Century Chimney arrived on time and kept my house as clean as it was before they got here. They used a camera to inspect the inside of the liner, which no other sweep had done before. They found exposed wood that was charred, and an approximately 6" hole in the middle of the system! I had been using this fireplace for several years before I met the guys from Century!! My last sweep didn't find any of these issues. Tyler and Zach just may have saved our lives. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Description of Work
Chimney inspection

12/29/2018

Ken K.

A Century Chimney camera inspection of the chimney in our 90-plus year old house revealed badly deteriorated flue tiles. The damage -- which made our fireplace too hazardous to use -- was beyond ordinary repair and required the installation of a stainless steel liner. Century installed the liner, insulating it with Thermix; parged the smoke chamber; installed a new damper and crown; and performed all the necessary grinding and tuckpointing of the masonry. The chimney is tall (about 27 feet) and the liner job was challenging. Owner Gary Spolar was onsite for the daylong job. He and his team really know their stuff. In addition to being experts, they were also punctual, responsive, friendly, and thoroughly professional. Plus they left the site clean, inside the house and out. The work was done in September 2018. We've used the fireplace multiple times since then and it works perfectly.

Description of Work
Installation of a stainless steel chimney liner. Parge of smoke chamber. Installation of new damper and crown. Grinding and tuckpointing.

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Thank you again for the kind words, Mr. [Member Name Removed]! Please let us know if we can be of service in the future. Gary Spolar Century Chimney Inc.

11/26/2018

Jessica S.

Guys came to clean and inspect chimney. Interactions up to the day of work were fine. Bob was responsive and helpful. However, once the guys came to our house it all went off the rails. First off, it seems like like they just had an agenda, pointing out multiple and apparently fatal flaws in the chimney. The only solution for this was a $6500 chimney liner. Sensing how potentially important this was, we called in two additional and independent contracts to inspect the chimney. Both of these guys basically said "the chimney is fine." Old houses like this are riddled with issues and there are always risks, but they were minimal and there are ways to mitigate risk that don't involve this $6500 liner. I think Century Chimney used dramatic pictures of cracks in mortar to play up what is essentially not a big deal. Oh and by the way, the first guy we called in for a second opinion had to do a complete chimney clean, saying he wouldn't stick his expensive camera up our chimney without it... so one of the main things we hired Century for - cleaning - doesn't appear to have been done well at all.

Description of Work
Chimney Sweep and Inspection

Category chimney sweep

[Member Name Removed] It is our responsibility as Certified chimney technicians to make you aware of any safety issues you may have within your wood-burning system. Upon further review of your files and pictures we've taken, I can also see the gaps between your liner tiles as well as vertical cracks in your tiles wide enough to put my fingers into. Your smoke chamber is not finished properly, and has a hole big enough for me to put my fist into. These are serious safety issues, and should not be taken lightly. If you get enough contractors to your house, you will of course get the answer you seek, even if they are incorrect. I will forward the pictures to you again, if you request them. I will also contact Angie's List to see how I may upload the pictures to this response to your review. Please be safe, and use whoever you will to complete the repairs. NFPA 211 codes as well as IRQ codes to describe your situation are available upon request. Stay safe, Gary Spolar Century Chimney Inc

04/05/2018

Connor M.

Bob in the office was very helpful and went out of his way to get someone to our house within hours. Tyler was very knowledgeable and went through every step of the inspection and the needed repairs in a clear, concise, and professional manner. Gave me names of alternative companies to comparison shop. Would highly recommend.

Description of Work
Damper misplaced on chimney. Replaced at no cost. Inspection performed.

Category chimney repair

11/21/2017

Robert Wayne P.

I called and made arrangements for the company to come out and give me an estimate on getting the chimney recapped and a screen put on top....I also said I may need more work on the chimney but was wanting them to assess the situation and give me a quote. They said that was not a problem that they would come out and give me a quote...This was 3 weeks in advance and they called two days in advance to confirm that we were going to be home and that the appointment was still on. I told them we were and that we would be home and available. Then the day before our appointment the owner calls and tells my wife that they will not come out and give us a quote. He said if they come out they need to be able to do the work. So he wants us to agree to pay for whatever they do when they show up without knowing what amount we will need to pay or even give us ballpark figures on what it may cost? What customer would agree to pay whatever they charge without a quote(which they said they do) or even some ballpark numbers so I know what I am dealing with. Sorry but I cannot agree to that so the guy cancelled our appointment we waited on for three weeks. I thought it was unprofessional of them. Just tell me up front you do not do quotes instead of agreeing to do the quote and then cancelling at the last minute. Thank you

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Mr. [Member Name Removed]: Your wife called to cancel the video inspection we had on our schedule for you. Your review is fabricated, based on something that literally never happened, and we never worked for you, yet you took the time to write paragraphs and give us a grade of F. I hope whatever in your life brings you to do such things gets better for you. Have a wonderful day.

11/16/2017

Lisa S.

Called office and spoke with Bob. I told him that the chimney had a blockage and he told me that "they do not do appliance vents". He said they only do liners. He then proceeded to tell me to contact a plumber. Plumber? I then looked at their website and see that they do perform all chimney services so I called him back to clarify this is indeed a chimney that needs cleaned and/or repaired. He then stated that "if the furnace is vented to the chimney that they won't service those, only service ones with fireplace". It just doesn't make sense. It also contradicts their website page that describes the process of putting in a new liner to vent the furnace up the chimney. I have gathered from these two conversations that either Bob is sabotoging business for the owner or he is a complete moron. Either way that the owner has allowed this person to be the first point of contact of his business and losing clients because of it. Hopefully Gary the owner will read this review.

Description of Work
Chimney sweep and possible repair

11/07/2017

LYNETTE K.

After the initial estimate, the cover was ordered and we were informed that they could do the work in about two weeks. They removed the old wood insert (which had been ravaged by a raccoon(?). They removed the vent and painted it b/c replacing it would have meant removing the entire stack. (BIG BUCKS) They installed the cover and put the vent back on. We received pics of "before" and "after". The workers were professional, yet friendly. I would recommend Century Chimney. A great company to work with on this project.

Description of Work
We needed to have the old wood insert removed & have a chase cover installed.

Category chimney caps

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! Reviews like this mean the world to us here at Century Chimney Inc. We enjoyed working for you. Gary Spolar Century Chimney Inc

08/24/2017

Kathy M.

OK so far but we have not had a lot of rain

Description of Work
Waterproof chimney for fireplace

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

Thank you for the review [Member Name Removed]! We are here if you need us in the future. Gary Spolar Century Chimney Inc

05/06/2017

Ed B.

Excellent. Bob, who schedules the appointments, is very knowledgeable and knew exactly what the problem was when I called. They called the day before to confirm the appointment and also called on the day of the appointment to let us know when they expected to arrive. We're very satisfied with the work that was done. We'll definitely have them come back to inspect the chimney yearly.

Description of Work
The chimney cap needed to be resealed.

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

02/24/2017

Julie R.

He was fantastic - right on time, quick, helpful and left everything very clean. I will be calling him again for regular chimney inspections and cleanings.

Description of Work
We had a wood burning cooking fireplace in our kitchen that the previous owners of our home had converted to gas. Gary came out after the gas line was capped and removed all of the gas log equipment, cleaned out the fireplace, scrubbed down the brick to make it safe for food prep again, fixed the damper/flue and inspected all the other chimneys in the house.

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! Gary Spolar Century Chimney

02/19/2017

Patricia P.

I give century chimney a grade of F. I hired them to inspect and clean my chimney as well as clean out my dryer vent. They inspected my chimney and did no cleaning. How could it not need a cleaning after a decade of no cleaning. Instead they gave me a $1,000 estimate for repairing the parse smoke chamber repair. The worst part of this service is the dryer vent service. After cleaning my dryer vent they had no additional supplies to properly secure the hose above the dryer and install into vented area back in place. They rigged up the dryer hose with duct tape that I provided. After using the dryer, the hose has fallen out of position and also out of the window vent area. I come to find out the hose's gear clamp that secures it was cut and the tech secured the plastic clamp with duct tape. Now it's broken. Shoddy workmanship and absolutely no pride in service. If you are offering a service, why wouldn't have proper supplies especially if you're going to charge somebody hundreds of dollars for a service.

Description of Work
Chimney inspection - suppose to do cleaning. They did not. Clean dryer vent.

Category chimney sweep

We are so sorry about the dryer vent, Mrs. [Member Name Removed]. Please let me know if we can make it up to you. Regarding your fireplace, it was not used enough in that 10 years to become dirty, so we did not want to charge you for more than the inspection on that part of our service.

11/30/2016

Kimber G.

Very polite and prompt. Checked out my fireplace and interior of chimney and was honest with me & told me I didn't need a cleaning! Then they did an inspection on the exterior of the fireplace & furnace chimneys. Gave me input on what they thought needed to be done and when. No sales pressure, felt very comfortable with Patrick. Had them do some of the work now and will definitely have them back in better weather to do the rest. So glad I called them!

Description of Work
I hired them to do a cleaning & inspection (we hadn't done that for years)...

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

11/07/2016

Marilynn B.

Did quality work in time frame and price quoted. Professional appearance, gave complete explanation of service. I would use again and recommend to others

Description of Work
Repaired chimney and replaced flashing

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

07/25/2016

Jaime E.

Nice gentleman. Came to do a chimney cap, but noticed cracks and wear on the concrete chimney crown. Recommended a product to fix it but never felt pressured to do it right away. Decided to complete the repair. They finished promptly and took more pictures to show all completed work.

Description of Work
Chimney cap/ chimney crown repair.

07/21/2016

Andy M.

Gary called to ask if he could come about 1/2 hour earlier. That was great for us. When he arrived he put his tarp in place and inspected the inside of our chimney. He said it was a little dusty but did not need swept unless we really wanted it done! He then went on the roof to inspect the outside and cap. He made a recommendation concerning the cover. He is completely professional and courteous. He charged us for the inspection only.

Description of Work
chimney swept

04/26/2016

Jill G.

They were very professional. They were running a little late so Gary called to let me know what time they would be arriving. They inspected the fireplace and chimney. Pretty quickly they determined that the fireplace was in good shape but the chimney itself was no longer attached to the house and needed to be completely rebuilt. Since they don't do full rebuilds themselves, he offered to refer me to someone else who could help us get a quote. Both guys were clear and able to explain things that they saw on the fireplace and chimney and what their recommendations were. I would definitely work with them again.

Description of Work
Inspected the fireplace and chimney on a potential house prior to us purchasing the home.

Category chimney repair

02/25/2016

Evan L.

Gary was quick to respond to our phone call and along with a co-worker arrived on time the following day. They were extremely helpful and professional and performed the repairs and maintenance we required. Definitely would use them again for chimney and fireplace issues.

Description of Work
Replaced 3 steel chimney caps and cleaned a frequently used fireplace top to bottom.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! It was a pleasure working for you.

12/30/2015

Walda O.

They came in with their tarps and set up. We have used them in the past and been very satisfied. When done, they left a mess on the hearth. I called and they said other people often have dirty hearths as if this was normal. I told him we do not. When it came time to pay we were stunned at the price and the increase. They were charging $150; we reminded them of our Angie's List discount of 8%. This would take off $12; they took off $10. Ultimately, we paid $150 even money which included the tax that was not figured correctly at 6.5%. We have used this company since 2011, 2011 - $118.53 2012 - $118.53 2013 - $123.92 2014 - cannot locate invoice but service was performed 2015 - $150 When we asked about the tremendous price increase, they replied that's the way it is. It was not the owner that had been there in the years past. Maybe this was a new regime. Ultimately, we are not satisfied.

Description of Work
cleaned chimney

Category chimney sweep

Mts. [Member Name Removed]: Our price increase came several years ago, as we were adjusting to the increased price of goods, as well as getting in line with our competitors pricing. We still charge less than our competition with the same credentials and experience. Our company is under the same ownership, and I apologize if one of my employees left any soot near the opening of your fireplace. It is not common practice, and I did not minimize your concern as you stated in your response to Angie's List. Please let me know if there is anything we can do in the future for you.

10/19/2015

Stephanie L.

Gary was prompt in contacting me to schedule my appointment and provided pricing over the phone, He arrived on time with an assistant. They inspected the chimney and gave me a quote to clean which was the same as the one on the phone. He also shared with me the worst-case scenario and pricing. Gary is very professional and spent enough time with me to help me understand what goes on with a chimney and how to maintain it properly. Very happy with the service and will use and recommend this company in the future. SLH (Avon Lake)

Description of Work
Provided a chimney sweep.

08/31/2015

Sean D.

We recently bought a new house with a fireplace so we wanted to have the chimney inspected as it was not evaluated during the home inspection. Contacted Century Chimney Sweep to set up an appointment and was called back the same day. They arrived on time and after inspecting the chimney determined no service was necessary, not even a cleaning. Very professional, would very highly recommend their services.

Description of Work
chimney inspection and cleaning.

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair, fireplaces