A-1 SMITTY'S PLUMBING

Cincinnati, OH 45236

LOCALLY OWNED AND OPERATED

10/07/2020

Mary W.

Deceptive business, price gouging, extremely inappropriate communication: We hired A-1 for a leaking water line. They fixed the issue in a timely manner and at a great price. They offered their services again to patch up our driveway in July 2020. They quoted us 1900 for the whole job which was a reasonable price therefore we agreed to have the job completed. We agreed that half of the cost would be paid upfront and the second half would be paid once the job is completed. Not only has it taken them 3 months to finish the job that should have taken no more than 6 weeks they threatened us on several occasions. Near the end of September, they stated that they would not complete the job until the second half of the payment was received. We assured them several times that once the job was complete they would get their money. They came back a few days later and worked for about an hour. We pointed out a leaking pipe that they had replaced during the water line issue and asked for them to take a look at it. He spent about 5 minutes and fixed the pipe. The next day we received a bill for 124 dollars for fixing the pipe and a threat that they would put a lien on the house and take us to court if we did not immediately pay the bill along with a 30 dollar late fee for each day we did not pay it. We attempted to explain how that is price gouging and the exact response we received was "we run this show pal." They continued to state that they would not continue work on the driveway until we paid the second half of the total. We sent them an official letter stating that they are no longer allowed on our premises and we will have to find another contractor to finish the work. They responded that only a judge can grant that and then a laughing emoji face. We contacted our lawyer who stated that we had the legal right to fire them. I highly recommend NOT using this company for any services. The only reason I am giving them a D and not an F is they did a decent job on the water line (despite it leaking three months later and them charging us 124 dollars for something they failed to fix the first time and took only 5 minutes to fix)

Description of Work
Repair driveway

Category handyman service

10/16/2017

KEN B.

Called Bob on a Monday and he promised to do the work the following day. He arrived right on time. New parts were required, so he had to go to the plumbing supply. The entire job including the trip took around 3 hours. When he left everything was in working order and you never would have known anyone was here. Bob even moved the refrigerator for my wife so she could clean in back of it, and then moved it back. I thought that was a pretty nice touch.

Description of Work
Install new kitchen faucet (supplied by me) and supply lines. Connect garbage disposal, and insert new drains in already installed sink.

07/26/2016

Peggy W.

He removed the old water heater, and took it away. He was great. He actually needed another part that was not included in the estimate, so he had to go get it. He did not charge me extra to do this. The installation took about a half a day or less. He is very honest, and I use him now for everything. He does not inflate the prices, or try to rip you off. He is very reasonable.

Description of Work
He installed a hot water heater.

11/17/2015

Keisha A.

Description of Work
Repair leak in main water supply line and snaked both the main and secondary sewer lines. |Mr. Bob was very nice and professional. He fixed the water line and was reasonably priced. Other plumbers quote 6000 to replace entire line. Mr. Bob said he wanted to see the line to determine if it needed to be replace or if it could be fixed. Upon visual inspection of the line he said it was in good shape and only a repair was needed. |Would recommend him to anyone needing plumbing work. He won't do unnecessary work and over charge.

08/19/2014

FRED C.

Called Smitty's and he was out the same day to do a lawn irrigation system backflow device test (required annually by Hamilton County, Ohio). He completed the test, provided me with all the paperwork, which I submitted it to the county. Done. Great service!

Description of Work
Lawn Irrigation - Annual Backflow Test (Hamilton County)

07/07/2013

Richard P.

My wife and I were supposed to be leaving for a family 4th of July celebration when we discovered a sewage backup in our basement family room. When I realized that the problem was going to be more than I could fix I began searching Angie's List for a plumber. I found A-1 Smitty's Plumbing. Mr. Schmidt was prompt and arrived within the hour as promised on a Saturday for an emergency call. Water was backing up in the basement. Within minutes he was able to pinpoint the problem which was a piece of paper towel stuck in the anti-backup valve which was preventing it from sealing. He removed it and the water began to drain as it was intended to. Mr. Schmidt was extremely professional, courteous and friendly. I would not hesitate to recommend Bob for any type of plumbing work and would definitely use his services again. Bob saved the day and we were able to go enjoy our celebration. Thank you so much Bob.

Description of Work
Had a sewage back up in the basement. Came over and opened up the clean out pipe, discovered problem and cleared the obstruction and fixed the problem.

03/06/2013

Deborah G.

I called for an estimate, we set up a time, he arrived as he promised. The quote was to run a gas line to a fireplace. He provided a verbal quote, but not a written one. I have to be honest that I felt somewhat uncomfortable with his professionalism. He made a reference about me and my husband being romantic together once the new fireplace was installed and he said that he likes to do plumbing work so he can "help the damsel in distress." In general, I am a person who tries to be optimistic about others and make positive comments (and I do not want to jeopardize this man's livelihood in any way), but as a woman I would have felt uncomfortable with this plumber doing work on my home if I was there alone.

Description of Work
I received an estimate from this plumber. His quote was very low compared to others and he was punctual for the estimate. However, I could not verify his plumbing license online. He did not provide a written estimate, a business card, or any other information. Even though his estimate was very low compared to others, I did not choose him because I could not verify that he is licensed.

01/10/2013

Christopher W.

He's wonderful and was a life saver. He was very, very, knowledgeable and very honest and very reasonable. Their home is quite old and it's one of those 1900 era homes that has been around forever, so they had to figure out what was going on and why the upstairs commode was not working. He didn't want to do it but he had to poke a hole in the downstairs bathroom ceiling which was directly below the upstairs bathroom. He got rained on because there had been a leak that nobody knew about, but he didn't curse or say anything about it. I would have had him do a bunch of more things, but my husband was kind of watching his nickels. He seems to know all kinds of things regarding antiques. He's fascinated with old buildings and old everything. He told us that he had done some work for another customer and the guy had this beautiful granite pink sink and he was going to throw it out and he asked if he would mind if he took it and he integrated it into a vanity. He's very into restoration and preservation. He came over immediately and I couldn't believe how fast he got there and fortunately he was not committed to anything else at that particular moment. I know he's busy because we found him through another company that handles hot tubs and toilets and bathrooms and Smitty does a lot of their work at their homes. I always call someone I know to ask for a referral and he immediately mentioned Smitty. He was very good and explained everything as he was going along so we would know what was going on. He was just a peach.

Description of Work
A-1 Smitty's Plumbing went to my daughter's home who was nine months pregnant and fixed both of her toilets.

09/27/2012

Tom Z.

Bob responded to my inquiry quickly. He definitely knew what he was doing, and he made the repair effectively and efficiently. He also installed a ball valve shut-off on the same pipe for just the cost of the valve. Overall, a pleaseure to work with - wouldn't hesitate to call him again.

Description of Work
Removed and replaced an outside hose spigot.

01/27/2011

Jessica K.

It was going badly until Bob showed up, he fixed my sink drain tubing and gave me some good advice for avoiding future problems. Thanks again Bob.

Description of Work
Speedy service and repair, and a nice guy as well. Thanks Bob.

01/19/2002

ERIC B.

VERY NICE, GOOD JOB, REASONABLE RATES. CREDIT TO THE SMALL BUSINESS INDUSTRY.

Description of Work
RESET LOOSE TOILET, FIXED LEAKY FAUCET.

09/15/2000

Bill W.

Description of Work
FURNACE CLEANING

09/15/2000

STANLEY F.

Description of Work
STOVE

ROD'S HOME IMPROVEMENTS-RODNEY BARNES

Rod's Home Improvement and Repairs is an owner-operated company. Our focus is always on quality and customer satisfaction on every job. We can provide most any home improvement/home repair or remodeling service you may need...large or small... and keep your cost at a reasonable price. We are licensed and insured as well. We offer free estimates and a special discount for all Angie's List members.

Mscapes, LLC

Mscapes, LLC specializes in Landscapes, hardscapes, and outdoor aesthetics. (Tree and bush trimming, mulching, landscape maintenance, tree removal, stump removal, sod, retaining walls, free standing walls, paver patios, pillars, drainage and downspouts, sprinkler system installation and maintenance, decks, fences, concrete removal and installation, grading, aeration, over-seeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, fertilization, and pest control.) Mscapes guarantees and stands behind all work that we do. We have worked to build a great reputation over the past 20 years within the community. We have an A+ rating the the BBB. Our friendly and knowledgeable employees are great at giving ideas and recommendations on ways to spruce up your outdoor spaces. We strive make sure to get all jobs done within a timely manner, while also providing quality work.

Award 2022
    Murtland's HVAC

Small family owned business, never subcontract work out. Over 15 years experience, 3rd generation heating and cooling company. Service all major brands. We provide financing, 24 hour service, and we have Saturday installation.

1 Year

ALL PLUMBING REPAIRS AND INSTALLATION PLUS WORKS ON GAS LINES BACK FLOW PREVENTER TESTING AND REPAIR.

New construction