All About Chimneys and Masonry

Brunswick, OH 44212

Owner operated. Additional DBA - All About Chimneys. DBA- All About Chimneys

03/28/2022

Katie G.

We hired Eric to clean and inspect 2 fireplaces/chimneys. One chimney is to an open fireplace and one is to a wood burning stove. At the end of the cleaning and inspection we were told neither of the chimneys were usable, and even more concerning that our chimney to the open fireplace would likely implode if we were to try burning in it. We were told it was cracked the entire way up and that it would require a $7k liner to allow us to burn in it again. Since I think liners look tacky and did not want to take away from the beautiful masonry and fireplace that currently exits, we hired a mason to come out and give us a quote for tear down and rebuild. Imagine our surprise to be told by a well-reviewed and very experienced mason, that there is nothing wrong with our chimney except some spalling at the roof. We were informed our chimney is safe to burn in. When we showed the mason our assessment form, we were shocked to hear this mason is familiar with the work as well as the "need" for an insert. The mason then asked us if Eric took off the metal exhaust work to the wood burning stove and if it was all taken apart for inspection. We stated it was not and he informed us "then it wasn't inspected." We were charged $60 for a stove inspection. Overall, would not recommend this company. BEWARE of unnecessary recommendations. Overall, he did clean the chimneys, though I was cleaning up soot for a few weeks after.

Description of Work
Chimney's cleaned and inspected

11/18/2017

Carrie B.

The service was excellent. He called in advance to let me know he was running about 10 minutes late, which I greatly appreciated. Most service providers rarely give the courtesy of a phone call in that situation. He worked efficiently and was very professional. He also provided an estimate for some additional repair work that needs complete and he showed me photos he took on his camera of our chimney so I could see the evidence of the state of disrepair of the chimney. I would definitely use him again in the future.

Description of Work
Our chimney needed cleaning as it had not been cleaned in approximately five years.

08/09/2016

Judy O.

Eric came in to clean the chimney and opened the fireplace doors to look up the flue. He went back outside (I thought to get an additional item). He was outside for a while and the next thing I know is banging his ladder against the gutter in the back. Our gutters have gutter helmet on them to keep leaves out are very easily dented. From the noise he was making I knew there would be a problem and there was - the covering was dented in many places and he was up on the roof with his ladder against the chimney stack wrestling with the cap to get it off. He caused the shingles around the chimney stack to be damaged. I grabbed the camera and took pictures of the damage caused to both the gutter and shingles and took the case to small claims court - where I won. I found Eric to be unprofessional and rude. He has taken me off his "client list" - YEAH for me!

Description of Work
I need my chimney cleaned

Category chimney sweep

This bitter woman's gutter helmet were all ready dented from the roofers in many places. I only had my ladder in one place, and I also have pictures of dents where i wasn't even near! I offered to replace this piece gutter helmet at no charge just to avoid any problems but this woman refused. She stopped payment on the check and I had to involve the police in order to get paid for my services...I also found this woman to be very rude and unprofessional and I give you all F's as well

01/06/2016

Paul H.

Arrived on time. Performed the work in a timely fashion and at the estimated cost. Eric is very professional!

Description of Work
Removed old and installed new chimney damper.

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair

Thanks for the great review!

12/08/2015

sari K.

Eric is always timely and thorough. Have used him for years and will continue to do so. He has done numerous repairs as well as chimney sweeping and have never been disappointed.

Description of Work
Cleaned and inspected chimney.

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair

Thanks for the great review.

10/19/2015

Jennifer G.

Great job!

Description of Work
Cleaned & Inspected Chimney

10/14/2015

Charles S.

Eric showed up a half hour early, said he couldn't fit his brushes in from the top, so all work would need done from inside. My old sweep guy retired but he never had any problems working from the roof. Eric began the appointment by taking a phone call and yelling at a phone solicitor telling him about his do not call list.. Eric then opened the fireplace doors, and said "the chimney is too dirty to clean". WHAT??? are you kidding me??? Did he expect a clean chimney? Said it would take too long to clean, and he wasn't interested in the work. He estimated it hadn't been cleaned in 25 years. We haven't owned the house for 25 years and have cleaned it several times during our ownership. I couldn't believe my ears. I have never dealt with a more rude, unprofessional service provider in my life. He could have offered some solution, but he couldn't leave quick enough banging the shop vac against the baseboard as he flew through the house. Wish I could give him something lower than an F.

Description of Work
Scheduled appt to clean 2 chimneys.

Category chimney sweep

Upon arrival I noticed the chimney had a limestone cap built over the chimney with about 12 in. of space. This does not allow the push/pull power needed to properly clean the chimney. I entered the house and could smell the creosote. Shined a light up the chimney and it was completely coated in creosote. It was unbelievable I have never seen so much creosote. It had been in liquid form and dried forming icicles of creosote hanging from the damper, and evidence of a possible chimney fire. I showed the homeowner who stated he had not had the chimney cleaned in at least 3 years and had been burning wet wood. You are supposed to have your chimney cleaned annually, and you are not supposed to burn wet wood. There was no way I could get this chimney cleaned to a safe level. If I tried and he had a chimney fire the insurance company could come after my company. Creosote is a carcinogen, this means it causes cancer. Sorry but I am not going to risk my company and my health because you failed to educate yourself on chimney safety, and use some common sense. Solution none to offer other than tear it down and rebuild it. You gave my an F for punctuality when I was a half hour early, an F for price and I did not charge you anything, an F for quality when no work was done, an F for responsiveness when I responded to your email the next morning, and an F for professionalism when I showed and explained everything to you. This along with the statement. I wish I could give him lower than an F are all what I consider slanderous comments with intent to make my company look bad when in actuality it is your own ignorance that is the real problem. I have contacted my attorney regarding these remarks. See ya soon.

09/03/2015

Josephine K.

We hired him to do the repairs and on the agreed day he showed up promptly and went to work and was able to get all the repairs done in one single day. He was polite, professional, showed up on time and I would definitely hire him again in the future and would highly recommend him to anyone.

Description of Work
Had Eric out in early August to clean the chimney, he discovered additional work that needed to be done, we had water damage that had caused some deterioration to the chimney. He gave detailed info to us on the work that needed to be done and had photo's to show us of the damage that was only visible when you were up on the roof.

03/23/2015

Jill C.

It went wonderfully well - he is an extremely nice young man nd a real job to work with. Felt he was a very honest person with a true interest in his customers. Would highly recommend him.

Description of Work
He came right out and inspected my chimney as I noticed a little water stain on my living room ceiling above the fireplace. He explained the cracks that he found and sealed them up, He also did a patch on the flashing as we are about to replace the roof and he suggested it would be far cheaper to get it done with the roof rather than have him do it now, so he patched it. Showed him a problem with masonry on my greenhouse, and I contracted with him to come back and fix that.

Category masonry, chimney repair, fireplaces

Thank you for the great review [member name removed].

01/13/2015

LOU T.

Description of Work
Cleaned and inspected my fireplace chimney. aInstalled a top down chimney damper. Very satisfied with work.

12/12/2014

Nancy W.

Eric returned my call promptly and scheduled an appointment for the next week. He was very professional, arrived right on time and went right to work. He did a thorough job and then told me a great any things about our fireplace and chimney that I had never knew, gave me good advice about problems that he discovered. He then cleaned the dryer vent and followed the same procedure, pointed out problems and gave me more good advice about the vent. Eric's work was very clean and he left the house in good shape when he left. I was very impressed with both his professionalism and his work. I was also impressed that he didn't mess around all, and his cell phone *never rang*! That seems to be a rarity nowadays.

Description of Work
Cleaned and inspected chimney and fireplace and dryer vent.

Category chimney sweep

Thank you for the great review [removed member name].

07/13/2013

Jacqueline S.

Eric was extremely thorough and did a great job. At the end of his visit, he provided a great deal of information to us regarding our fireplace. I would highly recommend and will use him again.

Description of Work
Chimney cleaned, inspected, fixed our jammed flue and replaced cap on chimney.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

04/02/2012

Katherine B.

I would not recommend this company.

Description of Work
I would not recommend any Angie’s List member contact this company for service. I had made a phone call to this company on 3/27/12 to schedule an estimate. The neighbors on each side of us had extensive work done and appear to be satisfied with this company’s work so we felt it should it be on our short list of potential contractors. Either we unfortunately caught him on a bad day or this is just his general stance. As I made the appointment for an estimate, I told him we had been in the house for 6 years and were not sure what needed to be done. The man informed me that the cost is $50 to come out but it would be taken off the price of any work that was completed at a later date. He rattled off the price of cleaning the chimney, etc. and I told him that is fine but we have no idea what is needed so we just need an estimate and scheduled an appointment for the following Tuesday. On the Monday following this phone call (day before the appointment), my husband informed me that he would be unable to be home for this appointment so we would have to cancel. He called the company at approximately 4pm and informed them we would need to cancel. The man answering the phone was extremely rude and told my husband we would still need to pay him $50 for the cancelled appointment. My husband said “no” and the man’s response was that there is a 24-hour cancellation policy. This was not told to us when we originally scheduled the appointment and my husband informed him of that. The man then proceeded to tell my husband he records all phone calls and will take us to court to recoup the money. My husband then told him good luck with that and was immediately hung up on. This behavior is completely unprofessional, we should have known better the minute he said it was $50 to just come out and look around.

Category masonry, chimney repair

THIS WOMAN CALLED AND SCHEDULED A SAFTEY INSPECTION FOR 10:00 AM ON APRIL 3RD 2012. I DID INFORM HER THAT WE CHARGE $ 50.00 FOR AN INSPECTION AND SHE AGREED. THIS IS WHERE WE CHECK THE ENTIRE CHIMNEY FOR ANY PROBLEMS, RUN A CAMERA DOWN THE CHIMNEY TO CHECK THE INTERIOR. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR AN ESTIMATE AS SHE CLAIMS . AT 5;O4 PM ON APRIL 2,HER HUSBAND CALLED TO CANCEL THE APPOINTMENT FOR THE NEXT MORNING TALK ABOUT UNPROFESSIONAL!! I DID ASK IF HE WOULD LIKE TO RESCHEDULE AND HE DECLINED. AT THIS TIME I DID INFORM HIM THAT WE REQUIRE 24 HOURS NOTICE FOR ALL CANCELATIONS AND THAT IF HE CANCELED NOW HE WOULD BE CHARGED $50.00 FOR CANCELING WITHOUT 24 NOTICE. THIS IS CLEARLY POSTED ON OUR WEBSITE!! AND HOW ABOUT COMMON COURTSEY? REQUIRING 24 HOURS NOTICE FOR CANCELATIONS IS NOTHING NEW, WE HAVE HAD THIS POLICY SINCE 2008. AS WELL AS JUST ABOUT EVERY DOCTOR, DENTIST, MASSUSE,HAIRDRESSER AND SERVICE PROFESSIONAL! THIS IS TO GIVE US AN OPPURNITY TO FILL THIS OPENING. I AM IN BUSSINESS TO MAKE MONEY, NOT HAVE PEOPLE WASTE MY TIME! HAD THIS GUY RESCHEDULED THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO CHARGE. NOW YOU ARE GOING TO ME AN F BECAUSE YOU DID NOT READ THE WEBSITE AND HAVE THE COMMON COURTSEY TO GIVE ME PROPER NOTICE. WELL I GIVE YOU AN F AS WELL ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU I DO NOT WANT DO BUSSINESS WITH. I HAVE AN A PLUS RATING WITH THE BBB, NO COMPLAINTS EVER! BECAUSE THEY DO NOT LET PEOPLE LIKE THIS LADY BASH YOUR COMPANY BECAUSE SHE FAILED READ THE WEBSITE OR ASK ABOUT CANCELATIONS. WHEN YOU MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE DOCTOR DO THEY TELL YOU ABOUT CANCELATIONS? NO BUT CANCEL AN APPOINTMENT WITHOUT NOTICE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS! (comment removed)

01/27/2010

GEORGE R.

This was a big job for Eric. 4 Chimneys. He did a great job cleaning the easy ones. He did a fair job doing a masonry repair. But did did not properly inspect and clean one of the flues and was not truthful about it. This negligence has caused me great problems and expense.

Description of Work
Inspect, clean and repair 4 chimneys.

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney repair

Concerning the flue the member states was not properly inspected, I explained to him this flue needed to be cleaned first to be properly inspected, and he declined. I was completely truthful with this customer and even showed him pictures of chimney. The member did not want to spend the extra $59.00 to have this flue cleaned so it could be properly inspected, this was his own negligence that caused him the problems.

06/14/2009

Mary Ann F.

ERIC CAME OUT AND SURVEYED THE JOB. HE WAS PROMPT IN SUBMITTING HIS ESTIMATE. HE INCLUDED ITEMS IN HIS ESTIMATE THAT OTHER COMPANIES DID NOT. I ASKED THTAT THE JOB BE COMPLETED BEFORE THE END OF JUNE. ERIC KEPT ME POSTED AS TO WHEN HE WOULD BE STARTING THE JOB. HE ARRIVED WHEN HE SAID HE WOULD AND COMPLETED THE WORK ON SCHEDULE AS PROMISED. THE STEPS LOOK GREAT. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ERIC FOR ANY MASONRY WORK(STEPS;CHIMNEYS, ETC). I WILL BE REFERRING HIM TO FRIENDS AND CO-WORKERS.

Description of Work
REPLACED THE FRONT STEPS OF MY HOME

Category masonry

Thanks member you were a great customer.

09/15/2005

JOE L.

RON WENT UP ON THE ROOF AND LOOKED AT IT. HE STAYED WITH ME UNTIL IT WAS FIXED.

Description of Work
HAD THE CHIMNEY COME OUT OF THE ROOF.

Category chimney repair

10/12/2003

SUSAN J.

IF UNABLE TO RESPOND TO A JOB, A SERVICE PROVIDER SHOULD AT LEAST LET THE PROSPECTIVE CUSTOMER KNOW THAT THEY CANNOT BE ACCOMMODATED.

Description of Work
I WAS VERY INTERESTED IN THE LEAFPROOF GUTTER SYSTEM. AFTER A LENGTHY INTERNET SEARCH, I FOUND THIS PROVIDER IN MY GEOGRAPHIC AREA. I E-MAILED HIM AND RECEIVED A RESPONSE THAT HE SERVICED MY RESIDENTIAL AREA. I TRIED TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR HIM TO COME OUT AND ESTIMATE THE JOB. AFTER BEING TOLD THAT HE WAS GOING ON VACATION AND TO CONTACT HIM AFTER A CERTAIN DATE, THERE WAS NO RESPONSE TO MULTIPLE E-MAIL REQUESTS AND PHONE MESSAGES LEFT WHEN HE HAD RETURNED.

Category gutter repair

I DID INFORM THE MEMBER ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION THAT I NO LONGER DO GUTTERS. I LEFT HER A MESSAGE AND RESPONDED PROMPTY TO HER EMAILS. I AM SORRY IF YOU DID NOT RECIEVE RESPONSES BUT WE ARE A CHIMNEY AND MASONRY COMPANY NOT A GUTTER COMPANY. I DID SOME GUTTER WORK FOR ONE MY REGULAR CHIMNEY CUSTOMERS BUT THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I NORMALLY DO. SORRY FOR THE INCONVIENCE.

08/14/1998

USED FOR CHIMNEY CLEANING. VERY POLITE, CLEAN AND PUNCTUAL.

02/25/1998