WALTS AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE

With Angi since June 2007

238 W GENESEE ST

Syracuse, NY 13202

We're a Complete Domestic and Import Diagnostic, Mechanical, Collision, Painting, Tires and Towing Automotive Repair Service Center located in Downtown Syracuse, New York across from the Dinosaur BBQ. We service every make and model with expert technicians, whether it's a routine oil change or complete engine overhaul....

11/11/2020

Jay G.

Other than having a Ford Escape with a transmission that should be recalled, my experience with Claude at Walt’s was more than I could have hoped for. I am in Texas and my 22 year-old daughter recently moved to Syracuse. She called and said her Escape nearly stranded her and was barely running. Well, nothing gets a dad in gear like his baby girl’s safety and security. Being 1,500 miles away makes it difficult enough and there are no shortage of repair shops, mechanics and dealerships waiting to fleece their customers. I learned every Ford dealership within 100 miles had at least a 2 week wait for an appointment. I immediately began looking for highly rated and recommended mechanics in Syracuse and came across Walt’s. I called and explained my dilemma and also that I needed someone reliable that we could trust. I was told they could get right on the diagnosis so we had it towed there. Claude contacted me, within a day, with the worse possible news, saying it would definitely need a transmission replacement. He thoroughly and patiently listened to me and answered my questions. I was able to locate a used one online (2 years newer & w/o the factory issues) Claude reviewed the price and company for me so I had it shipped to Walt’s. Claude completed the swap promptly as he had promised and my daughter was briefed on the repairs when she picked it up. She said it has driven flawlessly ever since. I cannot possibly overstate my recommendation of Walt’s, nor convey enough gratitude to Claude for taking care of my daughter and putting me at ease since honesty, trustworthiness and conscientiousness have become the exception in our world today. He even emailed me several weeks later to see how everything was going. I don’t flippantly write reviews unless I am emotionally moved to do so (< 1/yr). I can say unreservedly, if you need a mechanic, spend your money here without worry.

Description of Work
Diagnose/replace transmission

12/18/2017

Eric S.

Outstanding!

Description of Work
I was recommeded by my long-time mechanics for a transmission problem. They did a great job and Nick kept me in the loop the whole time on the progress.

Category auto repair, transmission repair

Thank you! We were happy we were able to solve your out-of-the-ordinary transmission problem.

07/05/2016

Robert S.

Description of Work
Did great job at the price estimated by the insurance company. Asked for it a day faster than usual and they delivered. Plus did full detailing and buffed out paint from a post I'd scraped against at no extra charge.

06/24/2016

Frank & Kathy C.

Description of Work
I have been using Walt's Automotive for over 10 years for all my automotive maintenance and repair needs. Their work is top notch and provided by highly skilled mechanics and is fairly priced. They also have an excellent hand wash and detailing department as well as a very good body shop. They are very customer service oriented. Walt's Automotive is located at 238 W. Genesee Street in Syracuse. The entrance is across the street from the Dinosaur BBQ on Willow Street.

03/13/2016

David M.

Description of Work
Walt's installed a new alternator in my car. It turned out to be faulty and failed within a week at night on an out of town trip. It was difficult to recoup the cost of their work as, out of necessity I had to have the alternator replaced by others as I was 150 miles from home. They balked at reimbursement claiming they didn't have the chance to fix the car. It took three discussions with the owner before he reimbursed their initial costs.

Category auto repair

We understand the frustration of having vehicle problems while out of town. While it is out of our control if a part we install fails, we always try to use top-quality parts while still being cost effective. We were never contacted at the time of the problem to be able to handle this for the customer. We do have a warranty program, and would do whatever was necessary to have the vehicle repaired. This claim was handled by the service manager, not the owner. The customer was reimbursed for their repair.

01/26/2016

Lane J.

01/15/2016

stephen R.

Description of Work
Great service! I won't take my truck anywhere else.

10/14/2015

CARLILE B.

08/29/2015

EDGAR M.

I called for an appointment on Monday and was able to bring the car in the next day. Walt's diagnosed A/C problem as compressor failure and gave me 3 different options/prices. Diagnosis was subsequently confirmed by a Hyundai dealer a couple of days later. The compressor was replaced at the Hyundai dealership when I realized that it would be covered under warranty. The people at Walt's were very courteous and professional; the shop appeared clean and well maintained. I would not hesitate to have future auto repair work done there.

Description of Work
Diagnosed A/C problem - blowing warm/hot air

06/11/2015

Paul J.

I don?t normally take the time to write reviews, but felt compelled to share my positive experience. I spoke to Dave in the service department about my failed transmission part (torque converter) diagnosed by a Honda dealership with a repair estimate of $2,000. Dave gave me an honest opinion that spending $2,000 to replace one part of the transmission is not wise since other parts could soon go and cost even more money! He gave great advice that a transmission should be replaced as an entire unit if one decides to do that -- and all of this was free. Thank you, Walts Automotive for your honest assessment and sparing me from wasting my money at the Honda dealership (Fox).

Description of Work
Provided helpful free advice over the phone

05/28/2015

Shirley W.

Description of Work
They did a detail on my car and I absolutely love it! My car is 7 years old and now looks brand new. I have recommended Walt's to my family and friends. I will certainly use them again.

Category auto detailing, auto repair

03/11/2015

DEBORAH A.

Description of Work
they towed an offroad car back to the lease company.

10/08/2014

eliza W.

Friendly and courteous contact Dave in front office. Reasonable price and quick turnaround for brake job. Will definitely use again.

Description of Work
Front brake on my 2011 Toyota sienna

01/28/2014

ED M.

Description of Work
Basic 100K service on Toyota Sienna. Flush and replace coolant, change transmission fluid, replace cabin air filter. You can see that the operation is well run by the orderliness of the shop area itself. Service mgr and office staff friendly and helpful. They stock manufacturer original fluids and, I assume, would use original parts when appropriate.

10/29/2013

David D.

Repair went very well. I was told that over all the exhaust system was in good shape but I had a hole in a joint. They cut that section out and welded in a new section of pipe. I am sure that had I taken the car to a muffler chain I would have been sold an entire new exhaust system. Walt's is both convenient and reliable. I've used them several times now. Yet to be disappointed.

Description of Work
Repaired exhaust system.

09/23/2013

Anne M.

The staff is very friendly and honest. They would never do anything without your permission, and they don't take advantage of female customers who are not auto experts!

Description of Work
Inspection and oil change.

Category auto repair, car inspections

08/19/2013

John H.

Walt's was fantastic to work with. I called early this morning to say that I needed my NYS inspection but my engine light was on. Their diagnostics registered an emission leak, and further testing determined that the fuel filler pipe was corroded and no longer keeping a seal on the fuel cap. They replaced the fuel filler pipe and cap and reset the engine light. After these repairs were completed, they explained that I would have to drive the car to clear all of the sensors, so rather than keep me there all afternoon they advised me to take the car and drive it at least 20 miles, then return with it tomorrow so they could re-scan in and complete the NYS inspection. During the preliminary inspection they also detected wear in both of my front wheel bearings, but after further examination they determined that the bearings were still within the limits to pass inspection. They advised me, and I agreed, that the work was not necessary at this time. They could easily have told me that the bearings didn't pass and would need to be done, but they were very honest about their condition. I was told to pay attention to the bearings and have them repaired if they become noisy, since they could fail very quickly at that point. Walt's also pointed out some issues that could develop with the power steering lines, but so far there is no immediate need for repair. Overall I feel that I was treated very well, I am happy with the work and the price, I would gladly recommend Walt's to anyone. I am so happy that I have found them, I will be brining my car there for a long time to come.

Description of Work
Repaired an emissions leak, and also identified potential problems with bearings and power steering lines.

Category auto repair, car inspections

03/20/2013

Mary B.

Was able to bring the car in the same day that I requested service. The work was completed within my lunch hour. The mechanic listened to my concerns and answered my questions. It was a pleasant experience. I usually dread having to take my car for service. I felt that my car was in good hands, and I was treated with respect.

Description of Work
NYS inspection; cleaned corrosion from wheel bead to correct slow loss of air from tire; balanced and remounted tire.

Category auto repair, car tires, car inspections

10/02/2012

Ellen Q.

I called Walt's the same day I brought my car in, the woman who answered the phone was extremely patient, thorough and friendly. She told me no appointment was necessary and that I could bring it in whenever, though she mentioned sooner was better if I wanted it back same day. The shop was easy to find and the drop off was quick and easy requiring only some basic information and a description of what was wrong. I told them I was going to leave the car overnight but they had it in one of the work bays before I even left. Within a couple of hours they had diagnosed the problem and called me with a quote. The guy who called, whose name I can't recall, was friendly, spoke clear English, and gave me an easy-to-understand explanation of what was wrong. I grew up with a decent amount of car-knowledge but I got the feeling that if I hadn't, he would have been able to explain in simpler terms if I had asked. As soon as they were finished with repairs they called and left a voicemail making sure I knew their hours and left their number if I had questions. Overall I am very happy with my experience and plan to go back to them with any future car problems I have. They were patient, knowledgable, friendly, and most importantly they were fast and their services seem very affordable. The work was performed at the shop in Downtown Syracuse, right across from Dinosaur BBQ. It was easy to find and had a small shop lot to park my car in temporarily so I didn't have to search around the area for a spot.

Description of Work
A portion of my exhaust system, around the anterior, was heavily corroded to the point where it was almost dangling from the bottom of my car and made loud, awful noises whenever I drove it.

10/06/2011

Timothy F.

I think the price for the last service was over $100. There was nothing in particular, but I have been going there for years. They are fantastic. Their price is very fair. I would give them the highest grade for everything and they are very professional. They do great work and I would use them in the future too.

Description of Work
I used Walts Automotive Service over a month ago for an oil change, wiring work and tire rotation.

Category auto repair, car tires

08/01/2011

Clifford T.

They actually insured me for the diagnosis. They are great. I give them high marks on everything. They are very knowledgeable and fair. They are punctual. They are able to handle whatever I need them to do on the given time and they do it.

Description of Work
I took my car to Walt's Automotive SVC two weeks ago as my car was having problems and they also did an oil change.

06/26/2011

Kerry B.

I can't say enough good things about Walt's. In one recent instance, my parents drove out to Syracuse from Indiana. While here, we noticed a burning smell and discovered that the axle boot on their Subaru had split open spilling lubricant onto the catalytic converter. We gave Walt's a call, and Dave explained that they see that pretty regularly, that it was ok to drive it in, and they would take care of it the next morning so that my parents could head back to Indiana the next afternoon. His over-the-phone estimate was right on, and they had it ready to go by noon the next day. In another instance last summer, the front lower panel of our van caught on a rock and pulled loose late one afternoon the day before we were leaving on a trip. My wife called Walt's, and they told her to bring it right in. No real work was needed but they made sure it was securely attached and wouldn't be a problem for our trip. In another case, I left work in Skaneateles and found that my parking brake did not release. I called Walt's, and Dave told me to try the release by the back tire. That worked, and off I went. I could go on and on, as they have taken such good care of us over the years. I had never trusted an auto shop until we started using Walt's. They're fantastic.

Description of Work
We (and many other family members) have been going to Walt's for essentially all our auto service needs for more than 10 years on a variety of vehicles including a Saturn, Acura, Honda Accord, and Honda Odyssey. They seem able to handle just about any repair. We've had them do ball joints, exhaust systems, power sliding doors, sway bar links, brakes, axles, tires, etc. They are always honest, accommodating, competent, and try to do the job as cost effectively as possible.

02/26/2011

Jim K.

I have been a client of Walts for many years and have complete faith in my mechanic Eddie and his boss Dave. I dropped the car off and it needed to have something made special to complete the job as this vehicle has 192000 miles and parts are not easy to find. The part was created and welded to the vehicle and the door was rehung with some new parts and the careated part to make the door now work just like it was brand new. I give all the credit for my 192000 miles to Waalts and epecially Eddie Popcun.

Description of Work
I drove an older vehicle and trouble closing the drivers door. I brought it in got an estimate and left the car to be fixed. They call me about 5 hours later and told me the car was done.

12/25/2008

John M.

They charged over $100 more for the same tires than what I could have gotten online and shipped. Also, I've been going to them for several years now.

Description of Work
About a month ago, I had 4 tires replaced by Walt's due to a snow storm.

Category car tires

06/18/2007

Jim F.

As far as I am concerned, no one is perfect when it comes to auto work. I did have to take my truck back for more work done and I also had to chase him down a few times to get my truck in there. They are a good local shop that has been in business for years and they have a lot of repeat customers. I guess you can look at it like a mom and pop shop, that's how you are treated, personal.

Description of Work
He repaired my brakes and replaced my tie rod in my 88 Ford Bronco. It was done the same day I dropped it off.

Auto Service
    Auto Transmission
    Auto Inspections
    Auto Tires
    Auto Detailing
    Auto Towing
    Auto Painting
    Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

DOMESTIC & IMPORT DIAGNOSTIC, MECHANICAL, COLLISION, PAINTING, TIRES, TOWING AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR SERVICE AND DETAIL SERVICES.