Docherty Tree Experts Inc

Founded 1998 • With Angi since March 2006

PO Box 501

Stony Brook, NY 11790

Docherty Tree Experts Inc has been in business since 1998 and has serviced thousands of commercial and residential clients with aplomb. We have many happily returning clients and enjoy seeing the seasonal and annual changes on their properties. Docherty Tree acquired the Tree Care Industry of Americas highest accolade in becoming accredited in the Summer of 2008. For more information about this accreditation standard please visit our website www.dochertytree.com or www.tcia.org. We look forward to working with you....

11/19/2012

Eileen C.

This company responded very quickly to our call. All the workers did an excellent job. The foreman on the job answered all our questions and the job was finished in a very timely manner. We were very, very lucky to have this company help us clean up after superstorm "Sandy"! Thank you to the crew from Docherty Tree Experts !

Description of Work
Removal of tree that fell on house during hurricane Sandy. Also removal of several other trees that fell in the back yard.

08/21/2012

Valerie B.

Jim's crew arrived early on the scheduled day and worked all day. They took great care in removing the large portion of the tree over my neighbor's property. All the debris was cleared at the end of the day and our yard and trees looked great. The crew worked until after five. We had a cherry tree that needed to be trimmed so Jim scheduled an additional day for the crew to return . The only problem we had with JIm's service was in rescheduling the work for the cherry tree. JIm's crew was supposed to return the following week, However, JIm had problems which we were unaware of. This was rectified and the work was completed. We found that texting Jim would get us an immediate response.

Description of Work
This is the second time we used Jim and his crew. Jim answered our call promptly and came the next day for an estimate. We had a large silver maple and two small trees removed. We also had a very large branch of a maple tree removed which was precariously hanging over our neighbor's roof . Jim's crew also thinned branches from four large trees lining our property. We also needed a cherry tree trimmed and shaped.

09/25/2010

edward H.

Dougherty tree service came for an estimate on the wrong date when I wasn't home after not showing up previously for the real agreed upon date. We ageed upon a price and a date for the work but once again they did not show up or even call. No work was done. They were unreliable and disorganized. Several calls also were unreturned and the office staff said they didn't know what happened to my message to call me.

Description of Work
No work performed

Category tree service

In response to member's unfortunate opinion of my company I would like to simply state that our original appointment to meet the member was arranged by the member with no one in the office as it was a holiday weekend. The member left a voice message on the company voice mail saying he would like to meet on Monday September 6, 2010. As this date fell on Labor Day and our offices were closed as of 5pm September 3rd there was not a sales representative who could have met with him. Upon our return from the holiday weekend we called the member back but he was out of town and I personally spoke with him regarding the work he was interested in. We made an appointment to perform the work and review it prior to starting. The work was more then fairly priced based on a climber and groundsman to vista prune his trees over looking a local harbor. When I arrived with my crew the morning of the job it had been raining and the trees were very wet and slick as you would expect. As we approached the member's house we pulled into a 300 foot driveway area and exited our vehicles. We were greeted by member's next door neighbor; who apparently owned this driveway not the member; and screamed and cursed at us using very colorful language that we would not be able to bring our trucks or any equipment along this stretch of road. As there was no other area for us to park due to limitations of the entry road we asked the neighbor to explain to us what we had done to receive such a greeting. She calmed down and said nothing we could park in her driveway but that she and the member had had major conflict over a past land dispute and she would not make life easy for him. At this point I thanked her for the access to her driveway and proceeded to speak to the member and explain we could not work with out access to our vehicles. I also explained that since we were working on an hourly rate and the trees were very wet with the rain he would not be getting the same production that he would on a dry day when moving in the trees would be safer and more efficient. He thanked me and we decided to reschedule for another day. I never again heard from him and after speaking with the neighbor more before our departure and another neighbor who came over to see what neighbor 1 was yelling about they also proceeded too use colorful language while discussing the member's neighborly behavior and I honestly was glad the member did not call back. Primarily because the cantankerous atmosphere between he and his neighbors did not allow me the safety and security of access to our vehicles and because I anticipated more and greater issues with based on the stories myself and my crew had heard from the neighbors. Sometimes for the health and safety of my employees I need to make a choice and this time it was not to pursue any further working relationship with the member. As we are a nationally accredited tree care company; under the terms of this accreditation we are responsible to pursue customer resolution. As the member was never actually a customer my company is not bound to this law however I would be happy to discuss the member's concerns privately at his convenience.

06/04/2010

Bob M.

This is my second time using the company. Jim Docherty arrived on time to evaluate the job and provide an estimate. He is honest and has no problem advising against work he feels isn't worth the money. The job was completed in a timely manner. The crew was professional, careful and neat. I highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Removed three medium size trees. Trimmed branches and dead wood from another four trees. Grind two stumps. Chipped and removed wood.

02/21/2009

David B.

Estimate was done quickly and accurately by the company's owner. The work was done on time and efficiently by a very professional crew. Complete clean up, no surprises.

Description of Work
Two large overhanging oaks trimmed for safety, large limbs removed.

03/06/2006

WE ARE VERY PLEASED WITH THIS SERVICE. I WOULD BE VERY CONFIDENT IN RECOMMENDING THEM TO ANYONE. THEY ARE VERY CONSCIENTIOUS OF THE APPLICATION OF CHEMICALS AND HOW THEY WILL EFFECT THE TREES AND ENVIRONMENT.

Description of Work
WE HAD THE TREES SPRAYED FOR INSECT PREVENTION.