Dunrite Design Group Inc.

Founded 1968 • With Angi since October 2007

Dunrite Design Group is a Home Improvement Company that specializes in all your residential and commercial contracting needs! We have a full team of employees that see the job completed and done right! Super Service Award winners 2013, 2015, and 2017!!! Alternate Phone: (718) 524-5262 Fax: (347) 286-4725...

Backyard 1

+29 more images

home remodeling (31)electrician (22)tile installation (20)plumbers (19)lighting (18)drywall (18)countertop installation (16)plastering (14)flooring (14)door installation (12)closet design (12)window replacement (10)

03/12/2021

Carlos M.

Admiration and gratitude are the words that come to mind when thinking about the Dunrite Design Group. The work is of superior quality and very personalized. Even though we realize that our bathroom renovation was a "small" job in comparison to what this company handles, we felt as if our bathroom was all that mattered to owner John Dunrite and his crew. We cannot emphasize enough how accommodating John Dunrite is, paying attention to all details, constantly stopping in to check the work, taking pride in the job, and even meeting us at a tile store to pick out materials. The company's crew followed John's lead with top-notch work. Vijay, manager of the work; George, who tied it all together; and all of the men, went above and beyond to help us through the bathroom renovation process. No request was a problem. Our apartment and building were respected in terms of: cleanliness, noise control, waste removal, adherence to the time that the work was done, and quickness in which the job was completed. The cost charged was beyond reasonable. We look forward to having the Dunrite Design Group return to our home for further renovations and highly recommend this company without reservation. Thank you so much!! Carlos and Susan Miranda

Description of Work
Complete Bathroom Gut and Renovation

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, closet systems, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, glass repair, lighting, plastering, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 03/10/2021

Review for Dunrite Design Group Inc. - 637 N Railroad Ave, Staten Island, NY - 39244066

It was our pleasure to work with you! We are looking forward to your next project! Your happiness is our goal!

09/01/2020

Mary Ellen P.

Dunrite was very slow to return my calls and actually show up (months, but also COVID interfered). But, once they did, they did an excellent job. I'm very happy with the results and would definitely hire them again. I already asked for an estimate on redoing some kitchen cabinets. It's family-owned business. They could use someone to organize better, but John is very responsive and the men who showed up to do the work were great. I do recommend them but not if you're in a hurry, lol.

Description of Work
Half bath added in basement

Category appliance repair, home remodeling

Work Completed On 08/11/2020

Review for Dunrite Design Group Inc. - 637 N Railroad Ave, Staten Island, NY - 38843867

07/31/2020

Mary Ellen P.

It hasn't gone at all. After months of them not returning my calls, not scheduling the job, taking my deposit, losing my check, finding my check and cashing it, I still do not have a half bath in my basement. Very disorganized company. I'm so sorry I gave them my money. They don't return calls. Very unresponsive. I do not recommend this company to anyone. John is always nice when I get him on the phone, but he never follows through with anything he tells me. Of course, I was patient due to COVID shutting every down, but now it's almost August. I started this venture in January! Very disappointed.

Description of Work
Half bath in basement

Category appliance repair, home remodeling

Work Completed On 02/01/2020

Please know that this was during the COVID pandemic while we were shut down, please see customers follow up review posted. Thank you Dunrite Team!

11/19/2019

Kai X.

This is one of those reviews that are so deserved, but as a client you internally hesitate to write because you fear OTHER people will realize what a gem you have discovered and you want them all for yourself. I write online reviews fairly rarely, unless something is truly terrible or on the flipside, if an entity has truly blown me out of the water. I don’t think I’ve ever had an instance in the construction industry where someone deserved a higher review from me than these folks do. I live in Florida and help my mother manage a property in Park Slope. She needed to redo her entire first floor kitchen, polyurethane the floors in the entire two-story apartment, paint the apartment and we needed it done in one month (between tenants). She has been through the absolute wringer with the worst of what New York contractors have to offer, including a slew of poor performing, outrageously expensive, and/or completely unscrupulous individuals and companies, including one we had to take to court for failing to complete a job. All of these contractors had good reviews or came recommended from other people. My mom had literally given up hope on finding someone that wouldn’t rip her off or give her the runaround. I desperately needed to find someone that would both be fair as well as be willing to spend some time with her. I needed someone who wouldn’t get frustrated having to work with and answer questions from someone who wasn’t intimately familiar with the technicalities of renovation. I needed a decent human being. I interviewed over half a dozen contractors, all of whom I found off of Angie’s List and were well reviewed. Not surprisingly, a few of them weren’t pleasant and one guy made it seem like I was straight up inconveniencing him (seriously?). I got some who couldn’t give me a straight answer on price and some that were so high, I couldn’t believe they were getting any work. I honestly don’t understand how some of these folks survive. I guess people are desperate in the City these days, but I’d made up my mind to find someone I felt I could trust to do good work, be fair, and be caring before I’d let my mom give money to another “compromise,” no matter how long it took. During my initial contact with John at Dunrite, he made me laugh. “Listen.” He told me. “I’m the best.” It wasn’t said in an obnoxious way. He instantly reminded me of my grandfather who was an old school New York clothing salesman in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s… and I mean that in an absolutely good way. My grandfather was a true gentleman with a good heart and a great sense of humor. He was someone who deeply cared about the quality of his work and the people he sold to. I immediately got the same vibe from John. He had great reviews on Angie’s list and between that and my gut, I decided to go with him. Boy am I glad I did. I provided designs that I had drawn up using an Ikea planner. He used his materials and put together a close match to their product, while also identifying some areas the Ikea folks had made mistakes with. We had a very tight timeline, and he was very careful not to overpromise in that area. He made us give him five days more than we wanted, but ultimately I was very appreciative of that because I felt he put effort into making sure he was creating a schedule that he could actually deliver on. John was always available to answer the phone if I had a question, or he would call me back in very short order if he couldn’t pick up. This alone was priceless based on our other experiences. As expected, there were a few additional things that we encountered during our renovation, including having to replace windows, moving some electrical, and adding some paint work. All of these things were done at reasonable cost AND ULTIMATELY DID NOT PUSH THE COMPLETION TIME FRAME BACK. He found us high quality, expensive tiles that were on clearance and hence wound up fitting into our budget. He provided his input as to the stone countertops and we love the end-product. At our request, he did custom work on the island cabinets to make them more interesting. We finished the project on schedule and without any further budget increase for the initial project (only for the add-on items which were again, very much within reason). The quality of work was overall excellent and great care was taken to leave the house in exceptional condition when they were done. The workers were all pleasant and efficient. There were some little finishing things that needed to be addressed after the job was completed. I gave the list to John, and made a great effort to make sure every loose end was tied up. He went above and beyond to do so, including some things that were outside the project scope. He clearly invested himself personally in this project and was also very proud of the final result. Another thing John told me during our first conversations was that he keeps his clients forever. A lot of people out there talk a big game, but I can tell you that from this experience that he was right. John and the folks at Dunrite have indeed earned my (and my mom’s) business for life. You guys rocked it.

Description of Work
Remodel Kitchen, Repaint Apartment, Stain and Poly Wood Floors

Category ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, electrician, hardwood floor, lighting, remodeling, replacement windows, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 10/01/2019

It was our pleasure to work with you and mom! Your happiness is our goal! You are forever part of the Dunrite family!

10/31/2019

Corinne M.

The ceilings in our living room and dining room were ancient, cracking and peeling under the weight of the heavy texture that had been applied decades ago. The Dunrite crew installed brand new ceilings just below the old ones. The process of running the electrical, applying dry wall, plastering, sanding and painting took even less than the promised five days, and the results are outstanding!

Description of Work
Replace ceilings in our dining room and living room; install recessed lights in the living room

Category drywall, electrician, lighting, plastering, remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 10/29/2019

We love our repeat customers! We are happy to have exceeded your expectations yet again! Can't wait for a future project! Happy Holidays!

10/30/2019

Dana F.

We had a great experience. They are extremely helpful. They would answer any questions and listen to any concerns. They helped us with making decisions. Whenever I call, George will always respond and has come over to fix any little problems that may come up. I highly recommend them and look forward to using them again on next project .

Description of Work
Kitchen, bathroom ,floors

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/29/2019

It was our pleasure working with you! We can't wait for the next project!

10/27/2019

Corinne M.

Dunrite did a great job, transforming an ugly outdated kitchen into a beautiful modern one that still preserved the character of our nearly 100 year old home.

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel —walls, ceiling, window and floor needed to be gutted and replaced, new electrical lines had to be installed, as well as new cabinetry. They also installed new quartz countertops and a subway tile backsplash.

Category ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, electrician, hardwood floor, lighting, plastering, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 10/27/2019

It was our pleasure working with you! We can't wait for the next project!

10/27/2019

D W.

Amazing. Fast, clean, and they are very professional. I would hire them again and refer

Description of Work
They built me a whole house.

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, closet systems, concrete repair, countertops, concrete driveways, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, glass repair, hardwood floor, insulation, lighting, masonry, plastering, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows, home builders, marble & granite, stucco, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, cabinet refacing, doors, basement remodeling, swimming pools

Work Completed On 10/27/2019

10/26/2019

Nancy C.

Awesome. The entire crew was professional, friendly, trustworthy. The are experts at their craft. I was consulted and kept informed every step of the way. Suggestions were offered related to quality, price, design - which I totally appreciated. The project was delivered on time. The end result is a beautiful, energy efficient home. It went from the worst house on the block to the envy of the block. I have been using the company for other properties for over 20 years. My loyalty is not only due to their craftsmanship but also to their outstanding customer loyalty. My home flooded during Superstorm Sandy - the owner John called me that morning asking what emergency repairs I needed - he had a crew shortly thereafter repairing my destroyed outside basement door and treating the basement to prevent mold. All of the Dunrite customers in Sandy impacted neighborhoods were treated the same way.

Description of Work
Entire home renovation - inside and out. All new electric; walls, floors, ceilings, air conditioning units, lighting, open concept floor redesign, beam replacement and reinforcement, kitchen, bathrooms. New windows, siding, garage wall reinforcement and siding.

Category ceramic tile, closet systems, concrete repair, countertops, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, gutter repair, insulation, lighting, plastering, plumbing, remodeling, siding, replacement windows, garage builders, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 11/01/2018

It is always our pleasure to work with you! Your happiness is our goal! You are forever part of the Dunrite family!

09/17/2019

Jason G.

Renovation went amazing. Johnnie, Vijay and Georgie were all the best. I have already recommended them to a friend with a huge commercial renovation and he was as pleased as I was . I can’t say enough good things about Johnnie and the gang

Description of Work
Total gut renovation of a 2 family home

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, closet systems, concrete repair, countertops, concrete driveways, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, glass repair, gutter repair, hardwood floor, insulation, lighting, masonry, plastering, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows, garage builders, home builders, marble & granite, stucco, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, cabinet refacing, doors

Work Completed On 03/01/2019

It was our pleasure working with you! Your happiness is our goal! Thank you for the recommendation and we hope to work with you again in the future!

06/26/2019

William L.

Best thing we did when we decided to replace a bathtub with an easy-to-step-into shower was to call Dunrite Designs. Owner John came, listened carefully to what we wanted, then helped us figure out the best way to achieve it. A few days later, he returned with Vijay, who was going to lead the team, to show us a choice of tiles and walk us through what to expect. From demolition to completion, Vijay and his crew covered floors both inside the apartment and the public hallways, meticulously cleaning up at the end of each day. As with so many things in life, there were the occasional ‘unpredictables,’ but when something didn't turn out quite right, John immediately came to check it out and had it corrected. And we knew he would, never doubted it for a second. Why? Because from the start John and Vijay listened, took the time to answer any and all our questions, and never once cut corners. Thanks to them and the rest of the crew, have an elegant shower that looks like it has always been there (and has those baby-boomer, aging-in-place accessories known as secure grab-bars). If we ever have any other remodeling project, we will call Dunrite first thing and unreservedly recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Replace tub with shower

Category plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 06/13/2019

Review for Dunrite Design Group Inc. - 637 N Railroad Ave, Staten Island, NY - 37950825

It was our pleasure working with you both! Your happiness is our goal!

05/11/2019

keith H.

John, v.j. and the boys were amazing. We bought our house knowing hat it had good bones, but looked like it handnt been updated since the 70’s/80’s. We have a 5 star hotel kitchen and bathroom now thanks to dunrite and my wife’s hard work. We are already planning our next job which we would love dunrite back for! (Adding another floor to the house)

Description of Work
We re-did our kitchen and bathroom

Category ceramic tile, concrete repair, countertops, drywall, electrician, lighting, plastering, plumbing, remodeling, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 05/11/2019

Review for Dunrite Design Group Inc. - 637 N Railroad Ave, Staten Island, NY - 37870094

It was our pleasure working with you both! We can't wait for the next project!

04/11/2019

Lillian M.

DUnrite was always on time, professional and responsive to any concerns and to my needs/desires regarding the project. I’d hire them again and have recommended them to neighbors.

Description of Work
Kitchen renovation and bathroom ceiling repair.

Category remodeling

It was a pleasure working with you!

10/29/2018

Daryl L.

It went great and I am extremely please with the results. The Dunrite team were there every morning on time and worked throughout the day. The were organized, professional and experienced. George the foreman was thorough and conscientious. I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodeled.

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, closet systems, concrete repair, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, plastering, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 10/29/2018

Thank you so much it was truly a pleasure working with you!

04/19/2018

Virginia F.

Excellent. John, the owner, was wonderful to work with and patient with all my questions. V.J., the electrician, was extremely professional and articulate. He gave me very clear explanations about the work he was doing - he could be a teacher. I would highly recommend Dunrite.

Description of Work
Bathroom Renovation.

Category ceramic tile, electrician, flooring contractor, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 01/22/2018

Thank you so much it was truly a pleasure working with you!

02/20/2018

alan G.

Work was done quickly and efficiently, and the cleanup after the job was top notch.

Description of Work
Window replacements

Category replacement windows

Work Completed On 01/17/2018

Thank you so much! It was truly a pleasure working with you!

10/26/2017

Leah E.

The whole project went very well and was well coordinated. John was amazingly attentive to our design needs (i'm an architect) as well as keeping an eye on our budget. He was able to do all of the work, with great craftmanship and was professional throughout the experience. Vee J, his foreman for the job, was always prompt on site, took special care of the work being done even changing out some finicky details I wanted, and catered to our every changing deadline needs. They even finished the project early because we needed to move back in sooner! Both John and Vee J were easy to get a hold of in a pinch, and since completion of the work, I've recommended Dun Rite to many friends and coworkers. They were really a pleasure to work with. Would hire them again easily.

Description of Work
We had 2 bathrooms and our Kitchen completely redone.

Category ceramic tile, closet systems, countertops, drywall, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 05/17/2017

Thank you so much. It was truly our pleasure working with you!

10/24/2017

Manuel M.

All work was done to our satisfaction. When we had questions, John, the company owner, answered them patiently and clearly. He also provided effective suggestions. VJ, the foreman, was professional, worked efficiently and agreeably.

Description of Work
Dunrite did our kitchen renovation as well as some windows and some work on one of out bathrooms.

Category ceramic tile, countertops, electrician, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, cabinet refacing

Work Completed On 10/15/2017

Thank you so much. It was truly our pleasure working with you!

10/19/2017

Gabrielle P.

AMAZING! This was the first home renovation I have ever done, and had a lot of questions, needed a lot of hand holding. Dun Rite (John and his amazing team) not only put up with all of my incessant questions, but they were so delightful, helpful, and really knowledgeable on their products. If I liked something, John would let me know if it was within my budget, and found me a comparable replacement in my price point, and did all he could to make sure I got precisely what I wanted and would work within my budget. Even when I changed my tiles (entirely) 3 days before construction, John and his team didn't miss a beat. Every vendor they sent me to was extremely helpful. The whole experience was above and beyond what I could have hoped for. I dealt with other contractors before and ultimately did not use them (one I canceled a week before construction) because I was unhappy with their attitude and professionalism. Dun Rite puts all of these other companies to shame. Not only is the quality of their work amazing, every one of their staff was a pleasure to work with. I have recommended Dun Rite to everyone in my building, my social circle, and my colleagues (who also have rave reviews.) I will be using them for all future contracting needs I have.

Description of Work
I completely renovated my bathroom (demolish and replace) in my co-op apartment. Removed my cast iron 1950s sink, bathtub, pink and grey tiles, and toilet. Moved the shower head to another wall, completely changed the style and feel of the bathroom.

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 10/19/2017

Review for Dunrite Design Group Inc. - 637 N Railroad Ave, Staten Island, NY - 36443420

Thank you so much! It was our pleasure working with you! Dunrite Team!

09/22/2017

sylvia N.

It could not have gone smoother or better. John from Dunrite is old school and takes pride in his work. His employees could not have been cleaner or more hard working. I expected a nightmare and what I got was a contractor you only dream about. I had both my bathroom and kitchen completelety remodeled at the same time and all while I was working from home. The workers kept the disruptions to a minimum. John could not have been more responsive. When I texted or called (and I had so many questions) he responded immediately. He had so many great suggestions and the supplies were are of the highest quality. I would never consider using anyone else. The job was completeled before the expected completion date and was within budget even with the upgrades I choose to add. I can't recommend this company highly enough. The office staff was pleasant and responsive. The workers were clean and friendly. John is the best in his field. This company is a real find. You can't go wrong. I know have a well constructed, beautiful, elegant and functional bathroom and kitchen. I couldn't be more pleased. The pictures do not do the job justice. It is so much more gorgeous in person. Any job I have in future I will only speak to Dunrite,

Description of Work
kitchen and bathroon remodeling

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, countertops, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 09/22/2017

Review for Dunrite Design Group Inc. - 637 N Railroad Ave, Staten Island, NY - 36289814

Thank you so much! It was our pleasure working with you!

08/31/2017

mafan G.

The agreed time frame went even better with work actually starting even earlier than the first start date and ending earlier than first estimated (work was also done on Saturdays). VJ and his crew were punctual and efficient and always kind enough to explain things throughout the process. Although there was once a slight issue with communication, John (the owner) was always responsive and professional. Overall, the work done went great and I am pleased with the final results.

Description of Work
Renovation of bedroom and bathroom (new walls, tiling, painting, fixtures)

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, closet systems, drywall, electrician, plastering, plumbing, remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 08/08/2017

Thank you so much! It was our pleasure working with you!

07/24/2017

Maria Pocchia G.

Completed the work exactly as promised

Description of Work
Roof pitch rehab

Category remodeling, roofing