Wickes Arborists

Founded 1929 • With Angi since June 2012

We are extremely proud to be one of the very few tree professionals that have Certified Arborists on staff. Certified Arborists must have extensive experience in arboriculture, pass a multi-domain examination developed by an international panel of experts, and continually improve and increase their

4.4

tree service (34)

09/16/2021

Antoinette G.

The crew was pleasant, efficient and skillful in their handling of the trees.We are completely satisfied and plan to work with them to insure that our trees remain healthy.

Description of Work
We had an extensive project involving work on 15 trees. They were pruned and shaped.Several trees needed to be removed.

Work Completed On 09/16/2021

07/02/2021

Joan S.

Jeff came to assess a tree in my yard. He showed up on time and was very pleasant. When he went to assess the tree, he answered my questions directly and gauged my understanding. I appreciated his using analogies I would understand when it seemed I didn’t fully understand. He took his time and explained the choices. I highly recommend Wickes Arborists.

Description of Work
Assessment of tree

Work Completed On 07/02/2021

05/11/2017

Melanie J.

Work Completed On 11/15/2016

09/18/2016

Iva G.

From the beginning to the end, the process went very smoothly. John came over and took his time going through all the suggested work to be done and explaining the rationale why it should be done. It left us very comfortable understanding our options, and his recommendations were very sound. The work was done very well, and we can see how much healthier the trees look.

Description of Work
Removed two damaged trees, pruned a big number of large pine trees.

Work Completed On 05/16/2016

Thank you for the review! It was a pleasure.

07/16/2016

Ilean G.

Work Completed On 10/10/2014

Thank you llean!

01/27/2016

Kathleen W.

I was very satisfied with the work, courtesy, and professionalism of the crew. They marked the gas line, electric and water lines on the property so the working environment and my home were safe. I really appreciate that I don't have the worry that something will fall on the house, street or car.

Description of Work
Took down live trees which were in danger of landing on the house, the street, the electrical lines, and the driveway. They got a permit for the work and the town sent me a copy. Also took down dead trees and pruned some others.

Work Completed On 12/01/2015

Thank you for the review! It was a pleasure.

06/25/2014

Jay B.

They are very good. They have been in business for close to 50 years. I have used Wick several times and they have always impressed me and left me very pleased with the results. In high school, I worked for a competitor of Wicks, so I know they are top notch guys.

Description of Work
Wicks did a lot of work for me, including cutting back a tree, reinforced some branches that were falling down (saving the tree) and took out another tree. They allowed me to pay it off in installments, which was very thoughtful and helpful.

Work Completed On 06/25/2012

[member name removed], Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure doing business with you. We like to treat our customers as family.

06/19/2014

Diane L.

They have the knowledgeable base and they are practical because they realize that you don't really want to spend a lot money where it's not necessary. There was a tree way back at the back of my property that they said could fall at some point or branches could come off, but they said since it wouldn't cause damage to my property, it wouldn't make sense at this point to take down that tree unless I didn't like the way it looked. Another tree in our property has some kind of disease and they suggested ways for us not to have that taken down now and there was another tree that was splitting on top and they stabilized it.

Description of Work
I've used Wickes Arborists. They did a lot of assessment and pruning.

Work Completed On 06/10/2014

Dear Ms. [removed member name], Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure doing business with you. Please don't hesitate to call us for your future needs.

05/22/2014

Joseph T.

All went well and they followed up to see how we felt

Description of Work
Cut down a tree and trimmed another one

Work Completed On 06/11/2013

Dear Mr. [removed member name], Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

04/29/2014

roman B.

Unprofessional, rude and argumentative. I had to ask him to leave.

Description of Work
he came to give an estimate to trim some trees.

Work Completed On 04/29/2014

Wickes is sorry this client feels this way. She asked us to come by and evaluate her neighbors trees. We had a Consult fee at this time which this client felt she didn't have to pay. The Arborist asked what her concerns were anyway. She wanted the trees cut in half along her property. The Arborist informed her this wasn't morally right or legal. The severe pruning would have killed the trees, which were healthy. Also, they were not her trees to make this decision. When she was told this she told him to leave. We are certified arborists and we first try and save trees by caring for them.

10/27/2013

James A.

I had three trees on my property that needed to be removed before winter set in. In addition, I had a several trees on the property that were in good shape but were in need of some pruning. I was looking for a professional Arborist to survey the property and determine how to best accomplish this without damaging the nearby trees and vegetation. In my professional life I have hired many contractors over the years. I look to hire craftsman. People that are skilled in their trade, and that care about the manner in which they perform their jobs. People, that at the end of the day take pride in the work they performed. I must say that it is often a challenge to accomplish this. Not so with Wickes Arborists. My first contact with the organization was with Mark. Mark is a Horticultural Consultant with Wickes. Mark was on time, professional, knowledgeable and polite. I never felt pressured, on the contrary, Mark's first impression made me feel that Wickes/Arborists was a well managed organization that was capable of accomplishing my goal of pruning and removing those trees that were a hazard while preserving the natural beauty of this heavily wooded piece of property. The estimate he prepared was clear and concise. Mark prepared a map of the property and each location that work would be done was clearly marked on the map. I was even more impressed when the crew arrived on the day that the work was scheduled. The crew was polite, focused and efficient in the manner that they went about their work. In performing their duties they were careful not to damage the healthy trees while removing those that were designated for removal. The crew was also careful when using their equipment not to damage the driveway. Mark came to the site at the beginning of the project to insure that the work was being carried out as agreed and at the end to make sure that I was satisfied with the finished product. The Wickes Abrorists organization has exceeded my expectations. It was a pleasure to do business with such a professional organization.

Description of Work
Removed some trees that had become a hazard and pruned other trees.

Work Completed On 10/21/2013

Thank you so much, [member name removed], for the "pat on the back" we love to get. What you described in your review is what we strive to achieve with EVERY customer. We hope we can serve you again in the future for the care of any of your "green assests" Sincerely, Barbara Soldano, Office Manager

08/06/2013

Joseph T.

The work went extremely well as it was over 100 degrees and the people also provided a nice cleanup afterwards as well

Description of Work
Cut down huge black locust tree and trimmed river birch

Work Completed On 07/19/2013

Thank you for your great review. We appreciate your interest.

03/25/2013

marcia W.

The price was based on what we had done. We had a couple of things done, and it was not cheap, but I felt that they provided good service. They were actually doing the job of climbing the trees and taking the branches down. They were very good. It is the way that they took care of everything. They were safety minded. They looked like they knew exactly what they were doing and were very helpful in terms of doing other things like my husband ask them to pile up some of the smaller branches so that he could save them for our son’s fireplace. They were very accommodating. It took us awhile to get them to get here, but I am not sure what affected them the most either the storm or their vacation schedule. They actually finished before the big storm last fall.

Description of Work
Ira Wickes Arborists did root seeding of the trees for us. They also trimmed a lot of different trees.

Work Completed On 09/12/2012

07/31/2012

Timothy K.

Called them on the phone and was told I have to pay $100 up front to have someone come out and provide me with an estimate of the work. They said I would receive a $100 credit if I used them for the work. I will be taking by business somewhere else.

Description of Work
Tree removal and pruning.

Work Completed On 07/30/2012

Wickes is very sorry you feel that way. We employ professional, certified arborists who are trained and knowledgeable in all things "Green". We used to charge a Consultation Fee due to the fact that the arborists were spending at least 1 hour reviewing and diagnosing your greenery. Then coming up with a treatment plan. There was no charge for an "Estimate" which would be a simple pricing of labor & equipment to prune or cut down trees.

06/13/2012

James T.

It is a family-run business, and I deal with John Wickes, the owner's son, and I am very happy with him because he has been keeping his eye on one of the largest flowering cherry trees in front of my property, and as a matter of fact, he just pruned it during the winter time.

Description of Work
I use Wickes Arborists to take care of my trees. He has been taking care of my trees for the past 15 years. He comes about four to five times a year to spray for insects and stuff like that. During last Christmas, he pruned a couple of trees for me.

Work Completed On 05/01/2012

Thank you so much for your appreciation of our services and our dedication to our clients!

04/12/2012

Carole G.

I have been using them for twenty years. They also provide pruning services and nutrition for my trees. I give them an "A" overall.

Description of Work
They sprayed my property for ticks.

Work Completed On 03/29/2012

11/01/2011

Thomas C.

We have used them for years. They are a very good tree company. The job went excellent yesterday. I just think that they are excellent to deal with. I haven’t got the bill yet but they did a very good job. Mr. Wickes is the arborist there.

Description of Work
Ira Wickes Arborists came yesterday to look at our trees and see what needed to be done.

Work Completed On 10/31/2011

07/22/2011

Christine N.

Ira Wickes is good, I use them throughout the year. They are not the cheapest people around but you get what you pay for.

Description of Work
Ira Wickes provided tree and shrub management checking for any insects or infestations.

Work Completed On 07/01/2011

07/14/2011

Linda A.

They are local here. They are very efficient. They don't leave anything behind. They have good equipment. We live in a very crowded area across the street from the public library. This street has many old trees linings. There are many wires overhead, and it is a tricky job. They came and climb on the trees. They suspend themselves from bucket trucks. They tie chains and things on the large heavy logs. They trim them back and ride them back to the ground. It is amazing to watch. They chip everything as they go. They are just wonderful. They do the job in a very short time. They are very pleasant to work with. I enjoy the care that they take of the whole environment on the street when they do the work. They are arborist, so they take extra care. I won't recommend them for cleaning the bushes. The cost is worth it because we have old trees, and all the people in our street further down the hill, had to lose their old trees a few years back. There were some disease that spread; but our tree wasn't hit because it was being treated. The price was fair. We will use them again in the fall.

Description of Work
I hired Ira Wickes Arborists two summers ago to trim a tree in our front yard. They take care of a tree, and medicate it.

Work Completed On 07/23/2009

10/19/2010

Cecilia H.

Job was performed as expected from beginning to end. No surprises.

Description of Work
Used this service to remove fallen trees and remove stumps. Job was thorough and area left free of debris. Workers arrived on time and were very mindful of other vegetation as they worked.

Work Completed On 10/12/2009

08/23/2010

Jerome S.

They were prompt. They did a very good job. They are more expensive than their competition, but I think their quality is better. Their clean-up was very good as well.

Description of Work
He trimmed trees around our property.

Work Completed On 05/10/2009

12/02/2009

RUTH H.

I like them very much because they do a good job and it looks nice, but they also clean up really well. They might be a little expensive but I feel like it is a job well done and it is worth it. I used them a couple years ago as well and I will continue to use them.

Description of Work
Ira Wickes Arborists cut down three trees and they trimmed all of the evergreens around my house.

Work Completed On 10/14/2009

11/23/2006

REBA M.

Badly, we were given the estimate for the work to be done. We did not question the price because Ira Wickes was an old established company. They had to return to do the job four times until we were somewhat satisfied.

Description of Work
Trim and shape pine trees.