Top Hammer Construction Corp

Founded 1978 • With Angi since June 2010

78 Cove Rd

South Salem, NY 10590

Top Hammer Construction Corp. has served the South Salem, New York, area for more than 30 years with a long-established reputation for quality home renovation and construction services. We are licensed and fully insured, thus assuring that you are hiring with a professional contracting company. For your satisfaction, we work within your budget and with a firm completion date, obtaining all necessary permits and guaranteeing that all applicable codes are met. Whether you dream of a second story, want your own outdoor patio, or have ideas for a custom kitchen, we're here to make it happen. www.Tophammer.com...

10/15/2020

Alan A.

Mike and his team did a fantastic job. From the initial estimate to the demo and installation, everything went like clockwork. Mike's glass and tile guys were courteous, careful, neat and professional. All of the shower glass, marble bench seat and marble accent pieces were salvaged and reused which minimized the cost. The finished shower looks as good as new and the shower pan is an improvement as Mike used the schluter system which adds a layer of protection that makes it watertight. I've used Top Hammer for jobs big and small and there is no one I trust more. Thank you Mike for another job well done!

Description of Work
Replace leaking shower pan

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, plumbing, water damage restoration, home remodeling

Thank You [Member Name Removed] for this great review!

03/23/2020

hana A.

Very well. Estimate was detailed and researched so we didn't stray far in cost due to unexpected small issues. Stayed on schedule and communication was swift and direct when issues arose. We were guided by reasonable expectations of time, products and cost. Never experienced having to make multiple attempts at communicating or receiving a response.

Description of Work
Finished a part of basement

Category remodeling

Thank you for this great review!

06/13/2017

Melanie W.

Mike was wonderful to work with throughout our extensive renovation projects. He competitively priced the job, was prompt in his communication, kept us posted with frequent updates, and stuck to our timeline. I'd recommend him for any task, small or large.

Description of Work
Removal of carpet Refinishing wood floors Painting Replace kitch backsplash Replace doors General project management

Category flooring contractor, handyman service, remodeling, interior painters, doors

01/21/2017

Stephen A.

Excellent. On time & on budget. excellent quality work.

Description of Work
New custom kitchen, deck, finished basement and bathroom, interior trim.

Category custom cabinets, contractors, ceramic tile, decks, electrician, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, basement remodeling

12/06/2016

Hal P.

Clear communication, upfront pricing, timely manner.

Description of Work
Rebuild of front porch completed to design.

Category decks, handyman service, remodeling, roofing, replacement windows, woodworking

11/27/2016

Alan A.

Fantastic! The work flow in the kitchen is so much better than before and the cabinetry is amazing. And no more squeaky floors! The reaction from our guests has consistently been "WOW!" In addition, the mud room is now a perfect entry way into the house and having the washer and dryer upstairs is a definite plus. One thing that made Mike stand out compared to other contractors we have worked with in the past is his thoughtfulness. Having a kitchen reno can be one of the most disruptive and stressful projects undertaken. However, Mike minimized the impact by creating a temporary kitchen for us to use during construction. We can't thank him enough for this. The basement also turned out great. We have much needed storage and so much more space to have fun. Can't wait to start entertaining family and friends! The bathroom design is terrific and the tile work is outstanding. And having the new entry way from the back yard with easy access to the bathroom will be so convenient for our pool guests. One of the most satisfying results of the project is how seamless the new addition looks. Our friends have commented that the addition looks like it was always part of the house. Can't ask for a better compliment than that. Aside from the outstanding results, Mike is a pleasure to work with. He is very knowledgeable and hires hard-working qualified sub-contractors. He's also not afraid to step in and roll up his sleeves if necessary to help get the job done. Most importantly, he is always reachable and responds immediately if an issue arises. We couldn't be happier.

Description of Work
Two major projects: 1. Kitchen renovation last winter (2015) with updated floor plan, custom cabinets, new wood floors, expanded island, granite counter tops, stone back splash, installation of new appliances, spray foam insulation, plumbing, electrical work and lighting. As part of this project we also relocated our washer and drier from the mud room adjacent to the kitchen to an upstairs utility closet. The mud room was tiled and a small sink added. 2. Renovation of unfinished basement this summer (2016) which gave us a wide open floor plan that included an area for a home gym as well as space for a home entertainment center, air hockey and ping pong table. In addition, a storage room was built around the air handler equipment so that it is now out of the way. The most ambitious aspect of this project was a small two-level addition to house with new roof, windows, door, siding, and spray foam insulation. The addition included a full bathroom on the upper level, additional storage for our oil tanks on the lower level and a new entry from the backyard with stairs down to basement. This project also entailed an HVAC upgrade throughout the basement, insulation, electrical, lighting and plumbing.

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, electrician, excavators, flooring contractor, heating & air conditioning/hvac, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, doors, basement remodeling

10/16/2016

Stacey M.

I reached out to him to request a bid for work that needs to be done to my house. I give him an A+ for the fastest response, but he was very curt. I'm absolutely fine with taking him off our bid list, but I didn't appreciate the rudeness. It was unexpected since the vast majority of his reviews describe him as approachable and professional.

Description of Work
Addition and home renovations

Category remodeling

I'm sorry you felt that way. when I found out from you that you were getting more than 10 bids or as many as you could, I wasn't interested. That is a waste of my time and energy, I take pride in my work and very knowledgable in my field. When somebody tells me that there getting that many bids, there obvious looking for the cheapest bid. Just remember, "Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good"!

04/14/2016

Caroline D.

With a new baby on the way we decided to convert our seldom used single car garage into some much needed living space. We interviewed a few contractors that we found on Angie's list but after meeting Mike our search was over. Very friendly, very courteous and professional. Mike was in communication with us through the entire process and delivered a high quality renovation with plenty of time before the baby arrived. As an architect it is always nice to develop positive relationships with contractors and I look forward to finding more opportunities to work with Mike again.

Description of Work
Single car garage conversion into living space

Category handyman service, remodeling, architect

02/06/2016

Lauren P.

Mike Miller was wonderful to work with on our large project which included a number of the unexpected problems and obstacles that often happen when working on an older house. He takes obvious pride in his work. Through all phases from estimate to demolition to job management to finishing, Mike was professional, skilled, punctual, and courteous. He did a great job hiring good subcontractors and overseeing their projects and schedules. We've lived with our project results for a couple of years and have been very satisfied.

Description of Work
Major remodel of kitchen and two bathrooms, replacement windows and doors, hardwood and tile floor installation, structural changes, electrical upgrades.

Category ceramic tile, excavators, flooring contractor, handyman service, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, doors

03/27/2015

Marta L.

Our previous contractor had eliminated a window/closed it up in order to perform an addition elsewhere in the bottom floor of our home. It was a very precise job where measurements were crucial to having the window in the middle of the room and not to the side and not affect the structure of the new addition on the bottom floor of that room. Mike and his helper took their time and found the exact spot to open up the wall and made recommendations as to the size of the window. He did a marvelous job. I would recommend him without blinking twice!

Description of Work
He created a window in an upstairs room to turn it into a bedroom.

Category flooring contractor, handyman service, remodeling, home builders

01/09/2015

Britt D.

We ended up not going with it because of the cost. It was for a complete renovation. It needed new flooring, new posts, and new hand rails. I would definitely recommend them. They were super friendly, super professional and really helpful in basically explaining the cost. It was just a little bit out of our budget at the moment.

Description of Work
They came and gave us a quote on a deck project.

Category decks

09/28/2014

William R.

Very good job with a few minor issues. I should have done a better job in the initial bid process to avoid change orders.

Category handyman service, remodeling

08/01/2014

Mary R.

Fantastic! Mike and his staff are true professionals. I've done many renovations and remodels and never have I encountered a more skilled and professional and approachable person. Everything was done on time, communication was easy and always responded to. No attitude when I changed things, we worked it all out to my satisfaction. The best thing I ever did for my home was to join Angie's List and find Top Hammer Construction!

Description of Work
custom cabinetry, patio construction

Category custom cabinets, handyman service, remodeling, woodworking

02/20/2014

Warren K.

It was/is a pleasure working with Top Hammer. The care and understanding Mike brings to the table is instantly apparent, he invites you into his process and genuinely appreciates and respects your point of view. He tackled a number of projects at the worst time of year (holiday season) but took it all in his stride. Not everything went according to plan but that isn't unusual. What is unusual is how prepared Mike was to go the extra mile and make things right. But don't make the mistake of calling Mike a gentleman, I did and it genuinely perplexed him, just know that he is one. We have a number of upcoming projects in the year ahead and look forward to working with Top Hammer again.

Description of Work
General contracting, electrical, light construction

Category electrician, handyman service, lighting

01/23/2014

Alanna C.

We communicated a few times via email, but I never got any estimates from him. I think he was swamped, my job was small and he simply forgot. I would give him another shot if I have something

Description of Work
None

Category handyman service

08/12/2013

Vanesa R.

Although we did not use Top Hammer services, Mike was very professional and courteous. He was very quick in sending us the jobs estimate.

Description of Work
No service provided

Category handyman service

07/09/2013

Brian O.

I did not use them. They gave me a quick turn around and they were responsive. I just felt like their price was a little bit high. It is kind of hard to get other quotes. It is summer time and people are busy and I have not gotten back a lot of responses.

Description of Work
I got a quote from Top Hammer Construction Corporation probably a month ago for bathroom remodeling and installation of some interior doors.

Category remodeling

I'm confused about the rating of a "B" of overall and a rating of "C" for price after reading the comments and never getting a price from any one else and also the rest of the comment was positive.

12/26/2012

Barbara Sondra L.

Mike Miller, owner of Top Hammer came immediately when the freak October 2011 snowstorm caused extensive damage to my roof and grounds. I had a 4' X 4' skylight smashed in, leaving the living room open to the sky. Part of the roof and gutters were damaged by the same tree falling, and patio fencing in the same area was destroyed. Roofing shingles and gutter had to be replaced. Fencing in the front of the house, on part of the decks and fencing leading up to my dog run had to be replaced. Some of the decking also had to be repaired. Mike met with the insurance claims adjuster and got everything settled quickly. He was always prompt and committed to the job. He used quality materials and did excellent work.

Description of Work
Repaired roofing damaged in snowstorm; damage caused by falling trees and tree limbs; replaced large skylight; repaired decking; repaired and replaced and installed fencing; replaced gutters damaged by falling limbs..

Category contractors, decks, fencing, roofing, replacement windows, skylights, woodworking

I want this removed, as it is not accurate.

09/18/2012

Denise F.

Mike, the owner of Top Hammer, and his employees would always arrive on time each day and would work the full day - no goofing off. We were very happy with the work that was performed by Top Hammer. They did quality work for a resonable price. They all had a very pleasant personality and did a great job on what was required of them. At the end of each day, they would clean up (even vacuum if needed). Top Hammer is old school, to be trusted and will not take advantage of you. I had no problem leaving them alone in my house to do the work. They did various jobs (new kitchen, general remodeling, painting, installing fence, installing doors, replacing windows, etc). in my house over a 3 year period. I will continue to use them as the need arises - knowing that they do quality work at a reasonable price.

Description of Work
new kitchen, general remodeling, painting, installing fence, installing doors, replacing windows, etc.

Category fencing, handyman service, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors, driveway gates

09/10/2012

Elisabeth M.

During the past 21 years my husband and I have hired Mike Miller of Top Hammer Const. Corp. to do a wide variety of major projects in our home. On the basis of these many experiences, I feel very confident in vouching for Mike's professionalism and his work and in wholeheartedly recommending him to others. Mike was totally reliable, consistently on time and on schedule, and always responsive to emergency issues. He is very knowledgeable, widely experienced and highly competent. He has high standards which are evident in the consistent top quality of his own work and that of those who work for him. He is excellent at anticipating the scope and requirements of projects, which results in no "surprises." He is thorough and does not cut corners. He was conscientious in his oversight of projects, which eliminated any possible stress on our part. Mike is most enjoyable to work with. He has always been responsive to questions and concerns, willing to research options and offer advice, clear in his recommendations and respectful of our decisions. And he is a genuinely nice person to have around!

Description of Work
-Installed new roof (in 1991 & in 2008), -repaired and painted water damaged wall and installed beautiful wood ceiling in living room (March 1992), -replaced front door (Sept 1992), -built new deck and repaired upper/balcony deck (July 1992), -repaired upper/balcony deck (Sept 2003) -replaced patio door, repaired door frame, and replaced siding (March 2010), -painted house exterior and replaced rotted trim (May 2010), -did fabulous job of adding a beautiful stone veneer to the foundation of the house and re-doing the front steps with blue stone (June 2010), -installed exterior drain pipes (Aug 2010), -sealed driveway (Aug 2010), -responded immediately to my urgent request in regard to flood damaged basement floor which he removed and replaced Feb 2011), -installed new sump pump (Feb 2011) , -contracted for and oversaw the installation of a new automatic garage door, (Jan 2012) -contracted for and oversaw the installation a whole house generator (Nov 2011), -contracted for and oversaw the installation of central A/C (which included removal of wall A/C units and wall repair), (Feb, April 2012) -built fence (matching house siding) to screen propane tanks (Aug 2012)

Category decks, flooring contractor, garage doors, handyman service, heating & air conditioning/hvac, masonry, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, siding, water damage restoration, home builders, woodworking, drain pipe, house painters, doors, driveway pavers

07/16/2012

HARRIET B.

We had a lot of water damage so we re-waterproofed. He totally refinished it. He did a very nice job. He was extremely capable and reliable. He communicated well. He was meticulous and did good work. He was very good.

Description of Work
I used Top Hammer Construction to refinish our basement. This involved new drywall, ceiling, lighting fixtures and flooring.

Category handyman service, remodeling, basement waterproofing, basement remodeling

07/09/2012

Doug R.

Top Hammer finished our job on time and on budget. What a unique experience in today's marketplace!!!

Description of Work
Top Hammer did a wonderful job building a 12' X 12' deck onto our home. They took care of everything, from applying for the permits through getting the Certificate of Occupancy. The work was first rate, the materials were of top quality and the job was completed on time and on budget. I can count on one hand how many times I have been able to say that about any construction work I have had done. I wouldn't hesitate to hire these guys for any future work, ranging from a small job to building an addition, or for that matter, an entire house (which they have successfully done in Greenwich, CT). They know their stuff, and I have complete confidence in recommending them to anyone.

Category decks

12/18/2011

Barbara Sondra L.

Top Hammer Construction is first rate! When the October 29th snow storm caused a huge branch to destroy a skylight, leaving a 4.6x4.6 foot hole in my roof, Mike Miller, owner of Top Hammer, came immediately and closed the opening with a sheet of plywood. He very quickly submitted an estimate for that repair which I submitted to my insurance agent. He was here when the insurance adjuster came to view other extensive damage to fences and decking and gutter, and conferred with him as to what had to be done. When my insurance company paid me for the damage, Mike came and did the repair work in a prompt and meticulous fashion. I would recommend Top Hammer without reservation. Barbara Levine, South Salem, NY

Description of Work
Top Hammer Construction is first rate! When the October 29th snow storm caused a huge branch to destroy a skylight, leaving a 4.6x4.6 foot hole in my roof, Mike Miller, owner of Top Hammer, came immediately and closed the opening with a sheet of plywood. He very quickly submitted an estimate for that repair which I submitted to my insurance agent. He was here when the insurance adjuster came to view other extensive damage to fences and decking and gutter, and conferred with him as to what had to be done..

Category contractors, decks, fencing, handyman service, remodeling, garage builders, skylights

03/29/2011

Peter G.

They were fine. They did a great job. I will definitely use them again in the future. I would rate them high overall.

Description of Work
I used Top Hammer Construction to install a hand rail next to the outdoor steps.

Category handyman service, wrought iron

11/19/2010

TREVOR H.

I was very happy with the guy. He was very professional. I didn't have any problems with him at all. It was just regarding cost, it was just a bit too high than what I expected. Apart from that, I would have used him if it wasn't so expensive. I would recommend him to someone else.

Description of Work
Provided an estimate to do a driveway and build a double garage.

Category concrete driveways, garage builders