Atherton Painting & Construction LLC

Founded 2006 • With Angi since July 2013

88 Hudson Street

S Glens Falls, NY 12803

Atherton Painting & Renovations is the best remodeling company in the area. We specialize in complete home remodeling, and high end painting services. We have 7 employees. All are prescreened, very experienced remodelers and painters. We are fully insured. Payment options: check, and cash only. We

11/06/2020

Alex L.

The end product looks good, just good not great or fantastic only good. James from the beginning was combative argumentative and dismissive, the person he hired to do most of the work was unprofessional and largely incompetent. The drain to my bathtub had corroded and broken completely off, repair of the tub would have required opening the wall and removing the tub. I had decided because of the work it involved it would make sense to remodel the entire bathroom. This job needed to be done quickly because of the lack of a working shower or bath in the house, I appreciate that James was able to squeeze us into his schedule but would have preferred that he’d had passed if he wasn’t able to focus sufficiently on the project. From the beginning I had to fight to get the provisions I wanted added to the contract (replacing the lighting, mirror, medicine cabinet, ventilation van and power outlet, all stuff that I would considered part of a bathroom remodeled, had to be added in a revision of the initial quote with an added charge added for the work). I also had to fight to make sure the contracted work was done. The trim around the bathroom window and door were not replaced as the contract stipulated. During the planning of the project I tried to reach out to coordinate to ensure the fixtures I purchased were appropriate and would work well, I was told to get what I wanted and he would make it work (I do believe he may have mentioned getting quality but didn’t offer more specifics than that). When I reached out to complain about the work I was told I shouldn’t have bought cheep Chinese made crap (I did research the materials before buying but lacked the expertise to make a determination on quality, which is why I hired a professional and sought advice). After complaining that some of the work quality was sub par and the work was taking too long I was accused of trying not to pay. The individual who did the work to my house was very unprofessional showing up well after 10am everyday and leaving normally by 4 (less than 6 hours of work a day) there were days he didn’t show up until after noon. The work space, and my house was a total mess during the whole time the work was on going leaving tools and pieces all over the house. There were several large mistakes made that aggravated me and caused the work to be delayed. The plumbing in the basement was of particular concern to me as it is leaking and is shoddily done, I am having another professional come in to repair that work. In the end the bathroom looks good, but it took too long and was not professionally done. I will not use him again and would not recommend him to anyone.

Description of Work
Whole bathroom remodel

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

10/04/2019

Jim F.

The owner James promised in writing on two different occasions that a carpenter would come to the house to do the work. The first time he called the night before to cancel; the 2nd time they never showed up at all. I called and emailed the owner directly and never received a response. BE CAREFUL - even if you have a job start date in writing, they will not show up, and will not call to let you know or cancel. Very unresponsive/unprofessional - no matter how many phone messages you leave or emails you send. Hire a DIFFERENT contractor/Painter!

Description of Work
Decorative trim and finish molding

Category woodworking

08/22/2019

james B.

James promised to have the job started within a few weeks of signing an agreement. Took a $400 deposit then continued to promise through the summer and fall that the job was about to begin. Went silent not returning calls all fall and finally got a call back after painting season promising to start the job "first thing" in the spring. It's now late August and no calls are being returned. Criminal customer service. AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Description of Work
Painting Work, Complete Exterior

Category house painters

We had a lot of rain and got behind. I planned on getting it done this year. It’s been raining almost every single day this season. I’m sorry you feel this way. I can understand your frustration. I will send back your deposit.

03/16/2019

Steve F.

James' crew does a great job. Ben and Pat did tremendous work and are very accurate and thorough. We have already hired James' staff multiple times and would hire again.

Description of Work
2 bathrooms and a panty/mud room remodeled.

Category home remodeling, interior painters

02/14/2019

Joseph S.

James was really nice and very helpful helping me to get done what we were looking to do.

Description of Work
taping of drywall

Category drywall

12/20/2017

Bernard O.

It went well. After contracting for a bathroom remodel, we unexpectedly started the process to move to a condo and sell our house. the buyers for our old home did not want us to do the bathroom remodel. The new condo had high popcorn ceilings that needed to be removed. The job was changed to do that instead of the bathroom. They did a great job. The ceilings look wonderful and everything was started and finished as promised.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel that changed to ceiling repair

Category drywall, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

11/27/2017

Andrew C.

Performed everything as promised and did a very nice job even though events forced us to put it off until late November. He even spruced up the window trim with matching green and made sure to hit every surface, even places I wouldn't have thought to get.

Description of Work
Scraping and painting a wood sided 4-unit apartment building. Scraped all the lead based paint and did it up to code. Laid a coat of white.

09/27/2017

Rebecca A.

The work is absolutely top quality. Mark was our project manager and performed all the work from start to finish. He was here every day on time. He had many great ideas. James is the owner and is very professional. When we started the process of looking for a contractor he was one of the very few who responded quickly and followed through with appointments and follow up. One suggestion if you hire this team is to ask a lot of questions once you get the contract. It is very detailed which is a positive, but we didn't realize in the beginning of the project how many choices we had and the cost could have climbed quickly. They were very good with discussing options and we added quite a few upgrades. They worked with us to keep the cost reasonable.

Description of Work
Complete remodel of 2 bathrooms.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, home remodeling, interior painters

[Member Name Removed], Thank you very much for a great review. It was a pleasure working for you. Have a great holiday season. James Atherton.

09/22/2017

Sufyanah M.

He sent out a guy for 8 hours of painting for like $299 or $399 and I booked a couple of those packages with him. All he had to do was paint downstairs, I just wanted it repainted. He didn't even say he was leaving, he just left and did a crappy job. I complained to the owner and he said the guy told him that he spent most of the 8 hours sanding before he painted, that is a lie. I did not go through with the other package I had. I was so mad. I told him to do the foyer and come down stairs, I wanted another wall painted where you see walking down the stairs, and he told me that he would need special equipment to paint that wall. I found out the guy I complained on eventually got fired for fooling around.

Description of Work
Interior painting.

Category interior painters

Good morning. We spent most of our time preparing your entire downstairs. We do not like to apply paint to surfaces that are not completely ready for paint. We spent 8 hours on your project like the deal agreed to. This was over 3 years ago. Is there any particular reason we are hearing about this now- 3 years later? Or did you just have a bad day?

09/18/2017

mikal B.

James was knowledgeable about what needed to be done. He explained all of the details and factored in my concerns and special requests. Al was awesome. He arrived every day as expected and cleaned up the entire area completely. He was funny and down to Earth - he has spot on workmanship and did a fantastic job with everything that came up during the project. James and Al worked closely together to provide me updated prices and a realistic timeline. Great job! Price I provided included fixtures that I chose.

Description of Work
Gutted and complete remodel of bathroom.

Category ceramic tile, closet systems, drywall, electrician, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters

09/12/2017

dean O.

terrible job of laying floor tiles wall trim is crooked already have water leaking into downstairs kitchen

Description of Work
bathroom remodel

Category home remodeling, interior painters

[Member Name Removed], I'm sorry you have had a leak. Please send me documentation in regards to the leak and I will pay for it. I would be happy to stop by. I would like to inspect the leak situation.

09/01/2017

Ronald K.

Painted my house and my shed in 5 days and it is beautiful. I had 34 shutters that need to be painted with a bold color and it came out fabulous,

Description of Work
Requested my house and shed painted. Also replace my shed doors and paint it to match my house.

Category contractors, house painters

07/25/2017

LEON T.

He was very nice, but we didn't use them. On the cost, I forget, it was quite a while ago. Just good customer service, that's all. We went in a different direction on the project.

Description of Work
We got an estimate for a kitchen remodel.

Category home remodeling

07/20/2017

Marybeth S.

He could not come up with a date in the first 6 months. Then I went into the hospital. After that he did not have anyone that could do the work.

Description of Work
Was to remodel the entire bathroom

Category contractors, drywall, electrician, plumbing, remodeling

07/15/2017

Jeffery S.

Never received a call back from company.

Description of Work
I contacted this company in late June/July 2017 based on the Angie's List reviews being so positive. I left three messages regarding painting our new construction home and never received any communication back at all.

Category interior painters

[Member name removed], We apologize we missed your calls. We get dozens of calls some days and need to get better at ensuring everyone gets a call back. Thank you for your review. During that particular time you called in June my family and I were on vacation.

07/14/2017

Kyle L.

Atherton responded within minutes to my email for an estimate and arrived at my home later that day. His estimate was very reasonable and the total cost of the project was as promised. While the weather in upstate NY delayed the project, once painting began his crew finished the job on the 2700 square foot home in under a week. The home looks beautiful and we get several compliments on it! With any construction project, there are sometimes unexpected set backs. As such I had a few concerns along the way, particularly concerning lead paint chips. When I reached out to Atherton about these concerns, he texted me back within minutes and had his crew promptly resolved the issue. Not only is the painting work of his team of high quality, he also uses premium paint. We have had several thunderstorms and some nights dropping below 50 degrees already and the paint has shown no sign of wear or chipping. Aside from the paint job, the sheet metal repairs to the masonite siding are virtually seamless. Would highly recommend James and his crew.

Description of Work
We purchased a house recently in Queensbury and desired some exterior carpentry and painting work. An area of the porch was in disrepair from what looked to be either dry rot or carpenter ants. There was also a handful of areas of masonite siding that were damaged. We wanted the porch repaired and repainted as well as the siding, shudders, and house painted. This was going to be a dramatic color change (going from a white house to a dark blue house as well as going from black shudders to white ones). Furthermore, the house was painted with lead paint.

Category siding, woodworking, house painters

Thank you. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I hope I can help in the future. Have a great summer.

07/08/2017

patrick C.

I was extremely pleased with the work James Athertons' Contracting Company did in my home. His worker was professional, very neat, and punctual. He started the job right on schedule and came to my home ready to work. James, the owner, professionally supervises all work. He is very easy to talk to and communicates his plans very clearly. He lets you know what he intends on doing before he starts the job. One of Athertons' best qualities is that after the work begins he wont take any steps without letting you know ahead of time. During my repair job, he called me to let me know he encountered a problem with very old electric wiring. He gave me a number of options on how to approach this matter and accompanied each idea with an estimated cost. James has done work in my house before and I was so pleased with the results that I called him back to perform this new job. All floors were covered and all lines were straight. The celing looked brand new whne he finished and I am very pleased with the results. James Atherton is now on my "speed dial" and will be my "go to" guy as long as I own a house in Saratoga Springs. His work is excellent and I highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Scraped and repaired a bathroom ceiling damaged by moisture.

Category home remodeling

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! Have a great summer!

07/03/2017

stephen K.

They did a great job, worked quickly and on time

Description of Work
Complete staining of the exterior of our house`

07/02/2017

Edwin D.

We arranged to meet on a Friday afternoon, but Mr. Atherton called and left a message, cancelling because his kids were sick. That's fine. I texted him that it was no problem and that we could reschedule the following week. After no response to my text, I called again (he mentioned that he did read my text message...). So again I arranged for him to come over, but this time it was supposed to be Wednesday at 7 am so I could review what I wanted with him before I went to work. Low and behold, no one came at 7 am and there was no phone call, so I though that maybe there was a misunderstanding and it was supposed to be 7 pm. So that evening I waited after dinner for him to come at 7pm, but no one showed up. No phone call, nothing -- not even after several weeks. Maybe you will have better luck than I had, but he certainly did not display any degree of responsibility or dependability based on my limited interaction with him.

Description of Work
I called Mr. Atherton to have estimate for several remodeling projects we wanted done. The job likely would cost 40 to 50K. This included multiple window replacements, entrance room, laundry room, bedroom and pantry remodeling and several other smaller projects.

Category remodeling

06/20/2017

Nancy J.

It went great. Mark Galloway was contractor that James put on our jobs. He was punctual, professional, courteous and honest. He did excellent work, his attention to detail was perfect. He worked quickly and steadily rarely taking breaks. He will definitely be coming back to do more work for us.

Description of Work
Renovation of 4 rooms. Office moved to New location. Half bathroom created, walk in closet created. Laundry room relocated to New location.

Category ceramic tile, closet systems, drywall, electrician, plumbing, remodeling, interior painters

06/12/2017

kevin M.

The work is exceptional. I cannot imagine it having gone any better!

Description of Work
Painting two-story entryway, halls, and kitchen.

06/07/2017

Ava A.

Cabinets are gorgeous, so hired them to do bathroom! Very honest and they try to save you money where possible! A+ in my book!

Description of Work
Kitchen Cabinet resurface! Bathroom remodel!

Category plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

05/22/2017

Marianne S.

My bathroom looks beautiful and the contractor on the job was there everyday for the full 8 hours! He cleaned up every day and kept the job contained to the room he was working in. It took a little longer than originally scheduled but as I said I added some things to my design once the job started. I am very pleased with the finished product and would recommend Atherton!!

Description of Work
Recently completed a bathroom renovation. A quote was given in a timely manner. We agreed on a price and the contract was followed. The job started on the day agreed upon by James and I. Any add ons or changes to my original plan were charged by the hour.

Category ceramic tile, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

Thank you!!!

05/14/2017

Sheila J.

They gutted all the old kitchen completely. They removed walls, plumbing, electrical, and a window. Completely renovated the kitchen to My home. They were masterful in the redesign process, and executed with The utmost professionalism I've ever seen! They did go over budget some, BUT before they did, the owner, James explained the FEATURES and VALUE of having the over budget item (a built in whole house, intercom system for each room). Our home has three livable levels with many rooms, and this suggestion has saved so much time for our BIG and growing family. When I saw the finished results it was well worth it! It adds what a tremendous value this added to our home, as well as our day-to-day lives. Thank you James Atherton for suggesting this it's been a lifesaver. Our kitchen renovation is finished and Weill work with you and you team of exemplatory professionals again on our next project! ~Sheila Jaffe CurVe LIFE LLC. Bolton Landing

Description of Work
Total kitchen renovation.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, closet systems, drywall, hardwood floor, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review. God bless you.

05/10/2017

Ellen R.

I contacted Atherton Painting and Construction January of this year 2017 for some estimates on multiple projects throughout my home. James promptly contacted me back and scheduled an appointment at my convenience for estimates. I received free estimates for all of my projects that I was thinking about completing this year. After obtaining at least 2 other estimates, I chose Atherton for their fair estimate and good reviews here on Angie’s list. My roof needed to be replaced and was scheduled within a few weeks. It was estimated to take about two days at the most – the job was completed in a day and half in February of 2017. The crew and foremen were professional and cleaned everything up after the work was done. I was very happy with the results and the final cost was very close to the original estimate. (The foreman even warned me about a tree that could possibly fall on my roof and was able to cut down the tree for me at the same time.) In April of this year Atherton completely gutted and remodeled my full bath and half bath along with tiling my family room. The project took less than two weeks for all three rooms. Mark, who was in charge of the project, along with Damien were great – they were professional and worked efficiently; went out of their way to make sure I was happy with the final results. I love my new bathrooms and my tv room is completely transformed with the new tile. Again, the final cost for all of the projects was well within the original estimates. James followed up with me several times to go over any questions I had during the renovations and called me when the project was finished to make sure I was completely happy with the end results. I would recommend Atherton Painting & Renovation for any of your home project needs.

Description of Work
Complete Roof Replacement Full Bath Remodel Half Bath Remodel Ceramic Tile Family Room

Category ceramic tile, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, home remodeling, interior painters