Advanced Chimney Inc

Founded 1997 • With Angi since February 2012

4.1

710-1 Union Pkwy

Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

Additional email - advancedchimney6@aol.com. Family owned & operated. Cost is determined by the job. Additional phone - (800) 914-3303....

12/27/2017

John N.

The sweep went fine. Here's the other issues: After we bought this house, we brought them in for a cleaning and to so some repairs on the chimney. At that point, we thought they were a good company ... we had Peter and Paulie both come out to do work, and they were great. In recent years, though, I get an odd feeling about them. First, I have them back every year since they did the repair job on the chimney. Somehow, though, they lose the records and I get a call in August that says "we haven't been out to you in 2 years, so how about scheduling a cleaning?" Second, I have the same schedule appointment, cancel and re-schedule issues you see in other reviews on here. Third, and this is the weird one ... part of one of the repairs after we bought the house was a new cap, which has a screw-on hood. This year, I brought in another company to do the sweep and they told me they couldn't do it because they couldn't remove the cap hood since the screws were sealed with silicone (they didn't want to try and end up damaging). Now, since I had only used Advanced Chimney prior to this year, Advanced must have been the one to put the silicone on those screws. So, I called them back to do the cleaning, and asked them to remove the silicone from the screws so "anyone" could take the cap off. Their response: "why would you want to take it off, we don't need to go in from the top to do the cleaning." So now I am stuck with 2 supposedly professional chimney cleaners telling me different stories: one wants to go in from the top of the chimney and the fireplace but cannot, and the other (Advanced) just cleans from the fireplace up with their sweepers. Since the silicone on the screws has effectively forced me to use Advanced, I am suspicious, and because of the sketchy feeling some of their work has given me in recent years, that's why I gave them middling grades. Also, I have no reason to believe the service we brought out to do the sweep this year but said they couldn't (because of the silicone on the screws) is anything but telling me the truth ... why would they come all the way out here and opt not to do the job the way they do all of their other jobs?

Description of Work
annual chimney sweep.

03/18/2017

Amirtha N.

My two sentences to describe Pauli of Advanced Chimney: Pauli's is Absolutely the Best There is! He was a godsend and savior for some issues I had with my house that day! Now the long version: On the day of snowstorm in March 2017, I saw a leak thru the fire place chimney and active snowflakes during the snow storm. I went thru Homeadvisor.com and called a few companies for evaluation and capping the chimney. Of the 3 companies, Advance Chimney gave me the appointment for the time of the day I desired. The service man Pauli (Paul Newman) called ahead and provided an ETA and showed up for the appointment as scheduled. He looked at the fireplace, went up the roof, and went to the cellar to see the furnace and made a complete assessment of what needed to be done. He also made sure with me that the fire places will remain inactive/closed. The chimney needed a liner down to the level of furnace in the cellar (thru the stone wall) and a new cap top the top; we also had old vents that needed to be capped. He included also hooking the pipes in the cellar and cement back around the pipe. I was a little scared with a long list of items proposed and checked the home inspection report which also confirmed that I need to address all those items that Paulie outlined in the proposal. He also offered to haul away several old satellite dishes as part of the estimate and was ready to do the job. Paulie's passion for and knowledge of his work came across clearly during my discussion with him and I agreed for the work to be completed. Paulie and his helper Anthony went to work right away while I was on the phone canceling other later appointments! They took several hours to complete the job and cleaned up after. He took several pics before and after. While Pauli was about to leave, we realized that the heater stopped working because the pilot light went off and he made sure that the heater is working again. He took time to show me how to light-up the pilot light. I was totally satisfied with Pauli's work. His price was reasonable and most of all, PAULIE REALLY KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING. HE GOES THE EXTRA MILE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE CUSTOMER IS HAPPY. I WOULD RECOMMEND HIM HIGHLY. Ask for him by his name, when you call Advanced Chimney. While he was about to leave again, we found a leak in the bathroom in the back of the house. Because it was end of day, I asked Paulie if he can help. He and his assistant went to work right away to check the roof extension over the bathroom/laundry room and shoveled away the snow, ice, and ton(s) of water and chiseled away the frozen ice in some parts of the gutters. I was so relieved when the leak stopped. (Imagine finding somebody on a Friday night or the weekend and what they might charge for an emergency.) He accepted what I gave him for this extra work to correct the leak. Some other parts of the gutter remain frozen which have to wait for the temp to warm up. I scheduled that work with Paulie again for 2 weeks later. You can now understand the way I described Pauli's work in my introduction! Thank you Pauli.

Description of Work
The chimney needed a liner down to the level of furnace in the cellar (thru the stone wall) and a new cap top the top; we also had old vents that needed to be capped. He included also hooking the pipes in the cellar and cement back around the pipe. He also helped to fix a leak in the bathroom due to frozen gutters and extensive amount of snow/ice on the roof extension over the bathroom.

Category gutter cleaning, chimney caps, chimney repair

01/19/2017

Alison A.

We have to chimneys one for the furnace and one for the fireplace. The service from two years ago was great and went smooth (2100 to replace the pipe connecting to our furnace). This month we needed to extend our pipe for our fireplace since my husband built up the second floor of our house. I called several places for an estimate and my husband felt most comfortable with these guys again (1400 total cost). I called to schedule them for new years eve and I was told it would be $2100 like last time, not realizing the man gave my husband a quote of $1400...They came to my house for the install the first time with the wrong pipe (they brought the same thing as last time) and the driver/installer who drew the sketch didn't even realize they loaded the wrong materials until my husband pointed out it was incorrect. I called and corrected them about the price and my disappointment for the mistake.A few days later they came back, but with an incorrectly cut piece of pipe. Third time, they finally had everything they needed. Yes, they did get me upset with THREE install dates and price confusions. However, I would try them again because the installer was very knowledgeable (just should check his loaded truck for the right items in the future) and well mannered.

Description of Work
We needed our chimney pipe extended and a chimney cap for fireplace. Previously used (2 years ago) for a whole new furnace pipe.

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

12/26/2016

Virginia K.

They called us less than 24 hours before our appointment to cancel and didnt have another date available for 3 weeks. When the appointment arrived they wanted to cancel because we would not be home to meet them an HOUR before the set appointment time. We were home in plenty of time for the actual appointment. I will say, their call center was responsive to calls. The guy looked at the cap and interior of the chimney, declared the cap impossible to get off and that our chimney required a full replacement of the cap and all interior parts, along with the flashing repaired for about $1100. We recently bought the hpuse and since no one had mentioned problems in the inspection it seemed questionable. However, when we said we would be getting another estimate the provider became visibly annoyed and said, "good luck with that". Turns out, the general consensus of our other estimates was that none of the work they advised was required and the chimney was already clean to begin with, apparently having not been used by the previous owners. We will absolutely not be recommending this company.

Description of Work
We set up a chimney cleaning at a home show.

12/12/2016

Brian E.

Advanced Chimney, Inc. cancelled our appointment for a chimney cleaning twice: once because they were running late with other appointments and couldn't make it out to us; then again because their truck broke down. We waited for them on two separate Saturdays and they cancelled, obviously not being very considerate of our time. When they tried to reschedule us for a third time, we told them no thanks; being stood up twice was enough. Extremely unprofessional.

Description of Work
Chimney cleaning

02/17/2015

Jonathan M.

BUYER BEWARE The cleaning went fine, it was after that was the problem. Of course after the cleaning they say, this and that needs replacing, and gives me a 4,000 dollar estimate. The estimate was to replace a liner, and extend the chimney. I then get a sales call saying that I am going to harm my family because of carbon monoxide poising and after I said no, he was still very pushy and kept giving me the scare tactic. Now after 2 years, I still get a monthly call saying they are reducing the cost estimate. I answer once in awhile and say no thanks, to please stop calling me, but that doesn't do anything. They still call. I have about 6 numbers on my reject list, but they keep using different numbers. I STRONGLY recommend NOT calling Advanced Chimney for any service, because even if it is a simple cleaning, they use that as an in and try to scam you on other 'so called' repairs.

Description of Work
Cleaned Chimney

12/10/2014

ANNE T.

I got a coupon from Advanced that seemed like a good deal. They did the work, but got soot on the carpets and told me that we needed a special lining installed in our flue that costs $2,500!! Then manager called me days later to tell me how important this was... total attempt at an upsell! They did offer to come back and clean the carpets but I had had enough and didn't want to deal with them anymore. I will hire to the more expensive, but reputable local company next time -- not worth the hassle and aggravation.

Description of Work
Cleaned and checked two chimney flues

07/14/2014

F W M.

They did a good job. Their price was reasonable.

Description of Work
They cleaned my gutters.

Category gutter cleaning

06/22/2014

Daryl G.

What was a positive, they were responsive to getting out to my home to quote, and did get a "custom" job done in three days. However, they needed a $1,500 deposit on the spot (when they gave the estimate) and really pressured me, as they basically made it urgent, and no time to comparison shop, get a second opinion. The $2,410.90 was paid on install. Overall, I never got a good explanation of what exactly they were even going to do, and the only written document I got was a handwritten slip after the job was fully paid, which looked like a restaurant check. I can only assume that I got taken advantage of, and hope that someone who reads this review will at least get a real world experience point of view. Since then, I've been told several times I probably wasted a lot of money.

Description of Work
My roofing company recommended that I have my Chimney Cap replaced before they started/finished the roofing job, and called in Advanced to take this on. This was despite the fact that the liner "looked like it had never been used.' Advanced quoted a "Custom" Chimney repair, and said they'd have it in 3 days, which was needed for it to be installed before the roofing job.

11/20/2013

Leslie M.

This $49 offer quickly turned into a sales pitch for $3,300 worth services that a licensed chimney inspector confirmed I did not need. The Advanced Chimney Inc representative initially tried to be an expert at chimney repair but ultimately was just a salesman. The representative initially talked me into some minor additional services but then told me he could not clean my chimney because there was a law that apparently stated his company could not clean my chimney unless it has a stainless steel liner. One liner would cost me $1300 and he talked me into adding a second liner in my boiler as well for another $1,300. I gave him a deposit on 11/1/13 for the $1,850 so he could pick up the needed supplies. I had three days to cancel the contract. My husband told me I needed a second opinion so I shopped around and found an chimney inspector. The inspector said my chimney was so clean it didn't need to be cleaned, and I only needed $1,200 worth of routine maintenance work. Therefore I immediately cancelled the $3,300 contract I had with Advanced Chimney Inc. However, it then took me three weeks of wrangling with Advanced Chimney Inc to get a refund of my $1,850 deposit. I actually had to drive to their business to physically pick up the check because they kept telling me they would put it in the mail but they never did. I do not recommend anyone else use Advanced Chimney Inc.

Description of Work
This company left a flier in my mailbox for a $49 offer to clean my chimney.

11/05/2013

PAUL P.

They were very professional and knew exactly what they were doing. They were able to take care of the problem very quickly. They have great prices and were cheaper than other companies I looked into. They came out to give me an estimate and were able to take care of the problem the same day. Scheduling was easy and they were able to come out within 48 hours. There were three technicians and it took about 2 hours to complete the work.

Description of Work
They installed a chimney liner and connected the flu pipe to the boiler.

09/04/2013

Franklin B C.

They did a great job. The men were punctual, professional and friendly. Advanced chimney always does a good job. I have used them for about six or seven years now.

Description of Work
Advanced chimney put a liner in from the boiler up and out the associated chimney.

05/03/2013

Eugene M.

They a did a great job. The technician they sent, Peter, took his time and made sure everything was to my specifications. I know that the job went so well because of Peter. He cleaned up after he was done, and I could not even tell that he had been to my house! I would recommend Advanced Chimney Inc to anyone looking for chimney sweeps.

Description of Work
Advanced Chimney Inc did a standard chimney cleaning for me recently.

04/29/2013

Marco/Antoinetta G.

They came in to do an annual Chimney sweep when they told us they found some issue with the chimney. They said it was unsafe and needed to be repaired. The connection to the boiler was repaired and then they said it need a new sleeve in the chimney. We at first agreed to have it done at what seemed to be a fair price but we then realized it would be too much of a burden at that time so on the very next morning we canclled the job. We are still waiting for the refund of our deposit, which was actually fully charged on our credit card.

Description of Work
Chimney sweep and small reapir

04/07/2013

Betsie B.

Professional and knowledgeable!

Description of Work
Chimney safety and function assessment. Cap install

03/08/2013

Nicole H.

Chimney liner installed to stop water leaking through chimney mortar inside house. Pricing was in-line with other quotes, serviceman was knowledgeable, punctual, and could do the work the next day if we wanted to go ahead. Turned up the next day and finished the job within a couple of hours. No more leaks and puddles, yeaaah!!

Description of Work
Chimney liner installed.

01/07/2013

Martin G.

Prompt courteous service. Very clean and professional. They installed a stainless steel liner for my fireplace chimney. I have not used the fireplace since installation so I cannot comment on how well the job was completed. I do have a concern about this company. I have used them three times and each time after the inital visit to inspect and clean, they find a problem they recommend be fixed for a substantial cost. Two years ago it was for a stainless liner for the boiler chimney ($1,800), last year mositure proofing ($1,300). I did not get a second opinion which may have been a good idea. Howeve,.this company received a good rating on Angie's List and an A- rating from the Better Business Bureau.

Description of Work
Chimney service and repair.

12/30/2012

Martin G.

Very well. Servicemen were punctual, courteous and professional. Very clean - it was a rainy day and they brought drop cloths to ensure there would be no mess. However, i have used this company three times and each time they come up with an expensive repair or improvement. Two years ago it was a liner for the oil burner chimney ($1,800) moisture proffing the next year ($1,300) and this year the other liner ($2,300). I did n ot get second opinions which I probably should have done but this company does get an overall good rating on Angie's Llist and a A- rating on the Better business website. Even if the liners were not an emergency at this point I do feel more secure having them installed to prevent fires, carbon-monoxide problems, etc. Expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Description of Work
Inspect and clean chimneys for fireplace and oil burner. Installed stainless steel liner for fireplace chimney

11/09/2012

Davis K.

I liked his knowledge and workmanship. He was very clean and knew how to work.

Description of Work
We have used Advanced Chimney Inc. They repaired the top of the chimney and installed a new chimney cap. They installed a chimney cap for the woodstove chimney and painted it. They also installed an insert in our double chimney, fixed the piping coming out of the furnace, and put a damper on the fireplace chimney.

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

10/15/2012

craig S.

Did not show up for appt....when I complained they had someone there later in the day and apologized...job came out good and price was really good ...we would use them again

Description of Work
swept chimey cleaned out firebox

08/09/2012

Lawrence S.

they arrived as scheduled to provide a quote to reline 2 chimneys. they did not perform and adequate inspction to identify all of the problems - they ony provided a quote for re-lining and did nt recognize other problems with the fireplaces or chimneys. the products that they quoted for use were inadequate and might not be code compliant.

Description of Work
Company provided a quote for chimney relining. they did not perform thorough inspection and if I had used their service, i would have still had problems or needed to have additional work done.

06/15/2012

Jon P.

Workers were neat and leaved no mess. Only "suggestion" is it appeared their brush needed to be replaced. Seems like it would have been more thorough if the wire brush had more bristles. Notwithstanding, they cleaned the flues and there is now now smell of soot.

Description of Work
had 2 chimneys cleaned.

06/14/2012

Ruth G.

They were clean efficient and did the job right away in just a half an hour.

Description of Work
They came to inspect the chimney after being highly recommended by my Oil company. They found the chimney was dirty and wAs in need of a new liner.

04/03/2012

Peter L.

The entire job went very well as always. They used floor protection to keep my home clean. These guys really knew their trade.

Description of Work
I have been using Advanced Chimney for the last 10 years. Each time they came the service was exceptional. We just bought a new home and wanted to have the chimney swept and inspected. The gentleman that came was very polite, and took great care to keep our home clean while the work was being performed. The men took their time and swept the chimney very well. I did not have a chimney cover so they recommended I have one installed. Once again, I am very satisified with the work and look forward to having my chimney cleaned next year!

03/13/2012

ALLEN Z.

The Advanced Chimney reps said that I needed to replace the entire length of the liner in the boiler flue in order to convert, and if I wanted to continue to use our four working fireplaces, I should do the same with those flues. Their estimate was for $13,600. Another chimney contractor looked at the situation and said the except for one boiler flue tile, quite near the top, that has shifted and should be replaced, the flue liner looked to be perfectly sound, as did all the others. For other reasons having to do with some quirks in the flues in our 1860 brownstone, dating back many decades, he recommended not converting to gas, for safety. His estimate to repair the shifted tile was $800. I got bad advice from Advanced Chimney and a very expensive and an unnecessarily extensive work plan. When I told this second contractor about the earlier proposal, with mentioning Advanced, he said that there are many chimney contractors who propose to do unnecessary work, and when I told him that it had been Advanced, he nodded sadly and said that he wasn't surprised to learn this. Apparently, Advanced is notorious in this regard and cannot be trusted.

Description of Work
I did not hire this company. I sought a consultation and estimate regarding what, if anything, I would need to do with my chimney flues if I wanted to convert my system from oil to natural gas. I concluded that the company was trying to sell services that I did not need.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

The member has been misinformed. First off the second contractor's opinion isn't correct just cause the price was cheaper. Advanced does NOT work in an unhonest way thats why we have been in business 15 years, are certified by two different agencies and is referred by over 100 companies. The NYC code is if you switch from oil to gas YOU MUST PUT IN A LINER! This other contracter most likely tried to make a quick buck by fixing the top and badmouthing advanced. If the member investigated further he would have found our proposal was the correct way to restore his chimneys. We understand a homeowner can choose whoever they want but to bad mouth us after not choosing us really is not the right thing to do.