A Best Construction Inc

Founded 1989 • With Angi since July 2006

87 Woodman Park

Rochester, NY 14609

BBB accredited business. 10 Employees. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges....

roofing (131)home remodeling (36)siding companies (15)window replacement (12)plumbers (12)handyman (12)drywall (11)interior painting (10)gutter repair (10)woodworking (9)electrician (9)lighting (8)

10/05/2021

Marty came into my home to give me an estimate. He said he would get back to me with a quote and never did. I texted him two weeks later and he never responded. If you don't want the job be a man and say so. Totally unprofessional!

Description of Work
Misc. Interior remodeling

Category custom cabinets,remodeling

Work Completed On 08/26/2021

07/03/2020

Great job! Terrific communication and superior roofing team. We had a complete tearoff of 3 roofings and a replacement for our 3-story house and the efficient work by the team was completed in 2 days! Owner Marty Hill was great at explaining everything! The workers neatly cleaned up everything even using a blower to get all debris off the driveway etc. I recommend this company!

Description of Work
tearoff of roof and replacement

Category custom cabinets,roofing

Work Completed On 06/08/2020

07/01/2020

New deck planks, railings, and steps

Description of Work
Marty and his crew did an outstanding job with our deck project. They were prompt, courteous, and finished the job within the time frame they promised. Workmanship was great. I would hire them again.

Category decks

Work Completed On 01/08/1970

11/07/2019

It's been about a year since my bathroom was renovated. Marty and i talked over my options for the layout and the different estimates. Once I decided on the layout, Marty walked me through most of the decisions for fixtures, sink, vanity, etc., giving his thoughts, but never pushing. It took a little longer than predicted due to the Thanksgiving holiday and because I asked about a second small job, which was added. Chris and Teddy, the crew, were wonderful. Chris kept me apprised of what was going on, timelines, made suggestions when I needed advice, etc. and Teddy was good at keeping things in perspective. Those two really complimented each other's strengths. I was home pretty much all the time and they were courteous, professional and good natured. They didn't rush but they never dawdled. The few mistakes made, whether mine or theirs, were rectified immediately. I really enjoy my new bathroom, even now, a year later. The project came in a little under the estimate. This is the second time I have done business with Marty and his crew and plan to continue with him in the future.

Description of Work
Bathroom renovation

Category remodeling,home remodeling

Work Completed On 11/07/2018

07/29/2019

When Marty is "on" we have received some of the best service from A-Best that we've had in many years. However, when he is "off" we couldn't get a response from him for days/weeks, and he has essentially cut and run a few years after our roof replacement. He needs to hire someone who can manage his business when he is away or otherwise occupied. The quality of work done by his crew was mixed. The shingles that Marty picked are great quality and the installation has been mostly solid. A cheap drip edge that doesn't have proper kick-outs was installed around the house (these details were not discussed in the quote). On about half of our house, the drip edge was installed properly, such that it hangs out over the gutter. But about half of the house had the drip edge flat against the fascia, wedged behind the back of the gutters. No one can see that detail from the ground. Naturally, we have taken water damage (water-stained soffits and peeling paint in the interior walls adjacent to these gutters) in those spots because of the improper installation of drip edge. When we first noticed that problem on one side of the house (easy to see on our first floor porch roof), perhaps a few months after installation, Marty was responsive and came right out to bend the drip edge out above the gutter, which fixed the problem on that side. We didn't learn about the problem on another side of the house until two years later, after water damage had started to show. After repeated texts/calls I gave up trying to get A-Best to back up their work and I got up on my own ladder and bent the drip edge out myself. The only rain leak in the roof came around a furnace exhaust pipe that penetrates the roof deck. The caulk they used was now dried and separated from the shingles and flashing. I took some roofing caulk up there myself and sealed around the boot flashing. This has held so far and hopefully the leak won't pop up again. A-Best also installed a bathroom exhaust fan for us that has worked out well. If Marty had a good office manager, I believe A-Best would be doing top-notch work. He doesn't have the bandwidth to correct old mistakes on his own, and is too busy to handle everything on his plate. He also needs better site management to keep the crews doing proper installation.

Description of Work
Asphalt roof tear-off and replacement

Work Completed On 01/15/2019

Review for A Best Construction Inc - 87 Woodman Park, Rochester, NY - 38012745

07/14/2019

We were very pleased with the work from start to finish. Marty and his crew worked hard, kept us informed and completed the project in a short time period.

Description of Work
Install New Roof

Work Completed On 06/10/2019

04/03/2019

Requested a quote a month ago and did not receive any response

Description of Work
Trying to obtain an estimate on roofing

Work Completed On 04/03/2019

03/28/2019

When Marty Hill (owner, A Best Construction) first arrived to look at the bathroom, he provided a range of possible options for fixing the problems. He was extremely receptive to my financial circumstances and respectful of the limitations of my budget. We were able to work together to find a plan that would address all of the most pressing plumbing, tile, and mold issues, while also providing a very attractive cosmetic result. I can't say enough for the integrity of Marty and his crew. The gentlemen who worked on the bathroom (Chad and Hector) were highly skilled, pleasant, punctual, and extremely professional. They were accessible and receptive to any questions. When I returned home each day, the bathroom was left neat and orderly. The final result was beyond my expectations-- it is truly beautiful and such a welcome change after having a bathroom that was barely functioning in the months prior to the renovation! In having an opportunity to work with A Best Construction on this project, it became clear that the owner and crew members are extremely experienced and work very hard to meet the needs of the customer. I look forward to an opportunity to work with A Best Construction on future home improvement projects, and I would recommend them without hesitation.

Description of Work
Our bathroom had some major plumbing problems, the shower wall was literally falling down in pieces, there was a significant moisture problem that had caused mold issues in the bathroom and hallway, and the door was warped and peeling due to the excessive moisture and lack of a bathroom fan.

Category plumbing,remodeling,home remodeling,interior painters,doors

Work Completed On 03/27/2019

11/30/2018

Marty Hill was very responsive right from the start, providing information and answering questions more quickly than the other contractors we considered. He was very clear about what work he was planning and honest about things he wouldn't be able to get done on our timeline. His overall price was competitive even compared to discounted prices from others. Starting as soon as possible was a big factor for us and he shuffled his schedule to fit us in early. The work was done within the timeline he forecast (9 weeks for this job), and the quality of both his crew's labor and his suppliers' materials was very good. There were several plumbing issues which had to be re-worked, but all were quickly fixed once discovered. We were very satisfied and will use A Best again in the future.

Description of Work
Fully remodeled kitchen and 3 bathrooms

Category custom cabinets,countertops,drywall,electrician,flooring contractor,insulation,lighting,plumbing,remodeling,siding,replacement windows,woodworking,home remodeling,interior painters,doors

Work Completed On 10/31/2018

09/18/2018

Called to state they had several ideas, would come by the next morning to discuss possible options - never came ,no contact in the 5 weeks that have elapsed.

Description of Work
Redo kitchen. Level & replace kitchen floor

Category countertops,electrician,flooring contractor,plumbing,remodeling,roofing,home remodeling

Work Completed On 07/05/2018

Additions, bathrooms, kitchens, decks, gutters, remodeling, roofing, siding, windows, insulation & fire restoration.

NA