FlatRate Moving

Founded 1991 • With Angi since February 2006

FlatRate Moving is New York's most experienced and highly recommended moving company. FlatRate transformed the moving industry with its groundbreaking concept: Tell us what you want to move and we'll give you an upfront all-inclusive price. Every one of our moves starts with our all-inclusive package that includes everything you need to move. From packing lamps, mirrors, clothes and electronics to protecting floors, flat screen TVs, and handling furniture to paying for gas, tolls, and parking. We also offer additional services such as full packing, crating, or disposal all based on your specific needs. If you need to move cross country, our long distance moving division offers express weekly shuttles, guaranteed delivery dates, and heavy duty materials for a safe move. If you are relocating internationally, we are the most trusted international mover. For luxury moving, FlatRate ELITE offers our white glove moving service for the ultimate experience. We offer door-to-door full service gives you hands-free storage. Our storage facilities are safe, secure, and super-clean. We will work closely with you to create a moving package that's tailored to your specific needs and once we set the price, it's 100% guaranteed - there are never any extras or surprises. From our quote to your front door you can count on us to professionally handle your move. Our movers are trained year round in our hands-on Moving School to offer the most in protection and care....

A Service Provider's profile image

+14 more images

4.1

4.2

4.3

movers (233)storage unit (12)hauling (3)

07/13/2022

Marianna A.

Flatrate Move’s salesmen offer a very convincing pitch, but my experience with them did not live up to their promises at all. I paid $2200 to move a total of 42 items, including boxes and furniture, from NYC to Athens GA. This price supposedly included the cost for a shuttle, so that we wouldn’t have an 18-wheeler trying to drive through our small streets. However, when the movers arrived, they were in fact in the 18-wheeler so I don’t know what the point of paying for a shuttle was. Additionally, we were told that the movers would arrive between 2-5pm. They arrived at half past midnight. Worst of all, 4 of my items could not be located in the van, including a large armchair, an ottoman footstool, a box of valuable books and a large box containing framed art. These items total at least $1000 in losses for me. It has been a week since the move, and although the company dispatchers have made vague promises to look for my belongings, I have yet to hear the results of any other efforts being actually made to locate my missing possessions. And this, despite the salespitch including a barcode system supposedly designed to prevent the misplacement or misdirection of items being shipped. Given the magnitude of my lost items, both in terms of physical size and value, and the cavalier attitude of management, I can only firmly recommend AGAINST using Flatrate Move.

Description of Work
Move from NYC to Athens GA

Category hauling services, moving companies, delivery service

Work Completed On 07/06/2022

04/15/2021

Laurie F.

Great! Very professional and careful. Helpful and no items were damaged

Description of Work
Moving

Work Completed On 04/15/2021

04/09/2021

Sheng Z.

We had the full pack the day before the moving day and everything are neatly packed. The movers are very experienced and finished the move within 5 hours. We are very satisfied.

Description of Work
Moving

Work Completed On 04/09/2021

04/06/2021

Thomas K.

Flat-Rate movers are extremely organized and efficient - I’ve used them twice and they are always dependable.

Description of Work
Moved apartments

Work Completed On 04/01/2021

01/15/2021

James F.

TRULY horrible customer service. I moved in October 2020. I purchased insurance for my belongings. The majority of the items packed by FlatRate were broken. I filed a claim, and the claim was approved. Since then, I have never received payment for this claim. I have emailed nearly 20 times and have never gotten a response. I have left or 10 messages, and I have never been called back. I have literally begged them to help, and now I am here leaving a review, reporting them to the BBB, Consumer Affairs, and honestly, anywhere else to help customers know what might happen should they use their services. DO NOT RISK YOUR INVESTMENT AND BELONGINGS. NO ONE AT THIS COMPANY CARES ABOUT YOU, YOUR BELONGINGS, OR YOUR INVESTMENT. People who have refused to provide a response for over TWO MONTHS: - Cassandra Pandi - Emily Kean

Description of Work
Moving from New York to Austin

Category hauling services, moving companies

Work Completed On 01/15/2021

10/28/2020

Roni R.

Stay away! We moved from NYC to NJ last week and booked packing and moving with Flatrate. The movers came a day before to pack and didn't have enough supplies so they only packed half of the stuff. They said they will come with more supplies on the moving day. The day after I started seeing them moving our stuff without boxes, I asked them what's going on and they said they don't have boxes, only after I demanded they will pack everything they said they will go to get boxes. When we got to our new home I saw that the baby bed has many dents, when I asked the mover he said yes sorry I didn't have enough blankets so I didn't wrap it. They leaned our tvs against the wall and we didn't check. The next morning when we came to install them we saw our living room TV (a new 65' samsung tv) had a cracked screen which the movers where just hiding from us by positioning the TV against the wall. We called Flatrate multiple times and we're asked to file a report but it's been a week and no one reached us back. They sounded so nice and professional on the phone, please don't buy that like we did and don't use Flatrate moving.

Description of Work
Packing and moving

Work Completed On 10/28/2020

08/13/2020

Robert F.

I am a repeat FlatRate customer as my wife and I have used them several times. I am not sure if the company is under new management or just went downhill but the horrific experience my family had should serve as a WARNING to any potential customers. Flatrate has novice movers that severely damaged my apartment floors back in June. They promised to compensate me for what they acknowledged was their fault. The movers event apologized. They sent me an amount of $662.50 in an email that they would settle for (which is light). Long story short, the check never came and the claims department said they are “still reviewing.” At this point I will be taking them to court, which is certainly not what I had in mind when I hired FlatRate.

Description of Work
THE WORST EVER

Category delivery service

Work Completed On 06/12/2020

Review for FlatRate Moving - 555 W 25th St, New York, NY - 38804311

06/05/2019

George R.

Extremely professional and hard working. Lots of tough logistics to overcome but the guys never complained. They work as hard as anyone and never lost their good nature. I don’t know how they motivate their people but whatever they’re diving it’s extremely effective. Makes for a very pleasant experience. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Description of Work
Moving apartments. Large job

Work Completed On 06/05/2019

02/25/2019

Antonio M.

The whole process was well organized, the people who worked with me before the move were friendly and competent. The actual move process went absolutely smoothly. It was absolutely the best experience I have ever had moving anywhere. I cannot recommend Flatrate Moving enough for an affordable and easy moving experience!

Description of Work
Interstate Moving

Work Completed On 02/21/2019

Thank you for the feedback, [Member Name Removed]! Really appreciate the kind words. We're happy that you're happy with your move!

02/09/2019

Betty Ann F.

For the many. times we've moved from office to office, or house to apartment or apartment to apartment, no move was as efficient, careful, and diligently done by a very pleasant and knowledgeable crew as Flatlate. I've recommmended them to friends and I'd certainly use them again.

Description of Work
Furniture moved to storage so that floor could be replaced.

Category hauling services, moving companies, storage units

Work Completed On 02/06/2019

Thank you for the recommendation! Please think of us for all of your moving and storage needs.

01/16/2019

Daniel C.

Fantastic! Movers were great. Hard working, organized, friendly, and the crew leader was just a total Pro!

Description of Work
Move apartments

Work Completed On 01/10/2019

Thank you for your feedback - we will let the Foreman know how pleased you were. - FlatRate Moving Customer Service Team

12/16/2018

J T.

Flat Rate’s performance was exceptional throughout- from the initial estimate to the final move. Every interaction was courteous and professional. I would recommend Flat Rate without reservation to anyone undergoing the always difficult and stressful process of moving.

Description of Work
Apartment move

Work Completed On 12/16/2018

Thank you for your feedback! Nothing makes us happier than a happy customer. - FlatRate Moving

07/25/2018

Birgit G.

Excellent experience from the first contact up to the moving crew.

Description of Work
In city move

Work Completed On 07/20/2018

07/09/2018

Vanessa O.

This team helped me move on the 4th of July at no extra cost. The traffic was light getting out of the city and we were done before dark (and the fireworks!). The team was professional and very careful to make sure nothing was broken or scratched. The even kept working when it rained during the last hour without a complaint. Note: the actual movers do expect more of a 15% tip though, in cash, but well worth it to protect your items from getting damaged.

Description of Work
Moving from New York City to Suburb

Work Completed On 07/04/2018

Holiday's can be difficult to move on - so happy that you're happy with your move! - FlatRate Moving

01/22/2018

Jim V.

Without a hitch. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Description of Work
Home move cross-country from New Jersey to California.

Work Completed On 03/04/2018

Thank you, [Member Name Removed]. It's always really nice to hear from happy customers. All the best!

11/11/2017

Brittany S.

This was the worst moving experience of our lives, and we're afraid the review below will not do our nightmare justice. However, we cannot let another person or family use them without knowing of what we experienced: non-responsive customer service, shoddy packing, late delivery, and numerous broken items. The reason we chose FlatRate Moving was because of the reviews and they were referred by another moving company. Let me also say, the initial call to discuss our family's needs was professional and thorough, and I felt good about their communication. That would be the beginning and end of any positive experiences with FlatRate. Delayed delivery: Our nightmare began as soon as our items were packed up from the home we were leaving. We confirmed a delivery window of 7/7-7/16, and we had to be available within 24 hours (in a long distance move) which we confirmed we would, and made ourselves flexible. I called the long distance moving line and spoke with an operator on 7/5 to see if they had any idea to when it would be delivered, and they told me "definitely at the end of the window but to call back in a few days with more of an update." I called on 7/9 and the operator said the exact same thing. I continued to call every 1 to 2 days only to receive the same answer. They also said I would receive an email 4 days out with a status update, and that never happened. On Saturday, July 15th I made yet another call (without one form of communication from anyone) to an operator who told me "your things will definitely not be there by tomorrow, the last day of your window, and because it is Saturday I do not have any further information for you." I will have someone call you first thing Monday morning. We moved from CA to DC, and because of this delay, we had to get a hotel room for 2 additional nights. Let me reiterate, I never received ANY form of communication regarding this delay or an update for that matter. On Monday morning I received a call from Adam who called himself our moving manager. I was never told we had a moving manager named Adam, nor had Adam ever reached out to me. Adam said our moving truck would be there the following day, 7/18 at 8am. I expressed my frustrations with Adam, and he told me he would tell someone "who could compensate for my frustrations and hotel nights" and have them call me. A follow-up call promised all expenses would be covered. Broken contract: The following day, our movers arrived on time and were very nice -- but we later learned they were wholly disconnected from FlatRate; FlatRate hires local movers to move you out -- a driver to move your stuff -- and local movers at your destination to unpack you. However, halfway through the day, they told me they were not being paid by FlatRate to unpack us. We had no idea this was the case, and per the contract sent to us, it included unpacking. Also, the home we left was 100% packed up by the moving team. The contract also said that they would dispose of all boxes. they didn't and we were left with 25+ unpacked boxes. The contract also said they would put all items in the correct rooms. The problem with that is that the original movers had mislabeled most boxes and did not organize the items (i.e. glassware with baby blankets and computer screens with clothing.) It was a mess, and there was no way for the movers to put boxes in correct rooms. At the end of the move in, the main mover said to me, "sorry for the mess, but this is not our fault." Destruction of items: The other big issue, were the items destroyed during the move. When they packed us, there were several items that were very fragile, and they put them in special crates. One of these items was the marble top to our dining room table. When the movers were delivering this, they pulled it out of the crate and it was cracked down the entire middle. Shelving, a dresser and many other items were also damaged. We are currently in the process of filing a claim for this. Lastly, I called Adam and the claims department several times throughout our move in day. I was in tears asking to speak with anyone who could offer me some help through the process. I was even willing to pay the contract movers to have them stay and unpack. Finally, the COO David Giampietro, called me back. I went through everything with him. He asked me what he could do to help. I asked him if he could send someone over to pick up the 25+ boxes that I was going to have to empty. He said they don't offer this. I asked him if there were more movers to come back and help, and he said if we were in NYC he could but not in DC. I was at a loss. He told me he would call me back the following day to let me know if he had any movers he could have come by. Despite several calls a week to David I have yet to hear back. Don't be fooled by the name, FlatRate, the true cost is too much time, too much money, and unnecessary tears.

Description of Work
Long-distance move

Work Completed On 07/31/2017

06/26/2017

RICHARD E.

The move and storage process went very well

Description of Work
move from NYC to LA including storing some things temporarily

Category moving companies, storage units

Thank you so much for the feedback.

06/07/2017

Caroline B.

FlatRate is good. Two people came out, they were nice and didn't drop anything.

Description of Work
I use FlatRate Moving.

Work Completed On 12/12/2016

05/03/2017

Courtney M.

I moved from NYC to SC and both my moving teams (the team who loaded my truck and the team who unloaded my truck) were excellent! The movers were professional, pleasant and very efficient. They loaded and unloaded my items incredibly fast and were great about where each box was going in the new house. The communication from my long distance coordinator was fantastic. He kept me apprised of the progress of the movers and when to expect delivery. The moving teams themselves were fantastic and I would hire all of them again.

Description of Work
I moved from NYC to SC. I hired the movers and moved to my new home all within 3.5 weeks.

Work Completed On 04/28/2017

03/27/2017

Deborah B K.

FANTASTIC SERVICE AND ATTENTION TO DETAIL. A+++++

Description of Work
Moving home and office virtually simultaneously - these guys were AMAZING!

Work Completed On 03/27/2017

01/31/2017

MICHAEL D.

They showed up on time, charged us exactly what they said they would and kept our stuff secure in storage for what ended up being a year. Here's the important thing, that caused me to write this review. When our items came back, we noticed that there was damage to some of them. I contacted Flatrate and had a response from a senior executive, hours after writing an email.....on New Year's Eve, no less. Within a few weeks they took the steps to repair the damage that some of our things had sustained. These guys are the real deal, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for an honest, responsible moving company that will also store your goods and be responsive if you encounter any problems along the way.

Description of Work
We needed to have our furniture taken out of our apartment while it was being renovated. Flatrate came, packed everything up for us and moved it into storage during the time that construction was taking place.

Category moving companies, storage units

Work Completed On 01/31/2017

01/09/2017

Justin W.

Exteremely traumatic experience. Had over $10k in damages to art, a completely broken console table, a damaged chair arm, number of broken glasses and dishes, nicks and scratches to furniture. Movers missed the move date by 2 days and when it arrived 15 items were missing. They were scheduled to be delivered a month later. Flat Rate did only compensated me a couple thousand for the damages (even though I paid for the extra insurance) because i did not itemize properly all the valuable items. The customer service rep was combative and was not fazed at all when i threatened to take legal action. I strongly advise against using them.

Description of Work
Cross country move from NY to SF.

Work Completed On 01/15/2016