BECKENSTEIN FABRIC & INTERIORS

Founded 1918 • With Angi since February 2006

4.1

32 W 20TH ST

New York, NY 10011

Custom Drapery, Window Treatments, Custom Re-upholstery, Slip Covers, Custom Bedding, Upholstered Headboards, Custom Furniture, Wallpaper, and Fabrics from the best names in the business: Clarke & Clarke, Scalamandre, Romo, Stoheim, Kravet, Fabricut, Lee Jofa, Duralee, Robert Allen, Waverly, Arte to name a few....

09/19/2013

Sylvia J.

They were on time and the job took one person and was completed in 2 to 3 hrs. The work is so professional..highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Redid my leather coach

03/17/2013

Kathleen N.

Awful. Back in 2010, I had Beckenstein restuff couch cushions. Although the cushions had gone flat, the fabric and couch frame were In great shape and I wanted to save the couch. The several hundred dollar quote sounded pricey but worth it to save the couch. Almost immediately after the cushions were returned, they started leaking feathers everywhere. I thought it would get better with time, but it didn't. That year was a bad one for me for many reasons, and the couch cushions fell to the bottom of my to do list. Finally, In spring/early summer 2012, while on maternity leave, I decided to address the leaking cushions. I sent emails to a number of providers, including Beckenstein, asking for quotes. Beckenstein took weeks to respond, even though I identified myself as an unsatisfied customer. In the meantime, I got other quotes. I was told it would cost hundreds more because muslin inserts needed to be created to stop the leakage. I didn't understand this because the cushions never leaked until Beckenstein took them. Anyway, Beckenstein finally got back to me and agreed to fix the cushions for only the $150 pick up fee. That seemed like a big fee for a Manhattan pickup, but it was still cheaper than the other quotes, so I agreed. Big mistake. The cushions came back worse than before. And, of course, there is no muslin cover. Just foam and feathers shoved into the cushion cover. Every day, I have feathers all over my floor. I am not exaggerating. ALL OVER THE FLOOR! Many, many feathers Feathers poking out of the cushions. Feather stalks poking into flesh. And, I spend my day fishing feathers out of my baby's mouth. I emailed Beckenstein shortly after, but they have yet to respond. Awful awful awful. My couch is an embarrassment, and Beckenstein is all the richer. Should have disputed the charge, but who would have guessed they'd totally ignore me?

Description of Work
Couch cushion restuffing

03/06/2012

Elaine M.

From the first moment I walked into store, which was lively and attentive, to the delivery of my sofa couch pillows, i could not have asked for a better experience. No job seemed unimportant to Beckenstein Fabrics and Interiors. Evenyone was more than just professional; they were warm, accommodating and the workmanship was top notch. The results turned a tattered couch, with just the tailoring of three worn pillows, into couch that look new and revitalized. . The transformation was tremendous.

Description of Work
Quick, intuitive judgment of sewing problem (three couch pillows for Queen size couch); PROMPT service, MORE THAN FAIR pricing. Professional interactions with consultant. Delivery of couch pillows met promised schedule and was even early. Delivery service individual was professional and helped put couch pillows in proper positioning.

Category upholstery, alterations

03/03/2012

Barbara G.

It went well. They were very pleasant and helpful. I would recommend them.

Description of Work
I had two big pillows re-stuffed.

Category alterations

11/29/2011

Elayne S.

No story. It was a positive experience. I got exactly what I ordered.

Description of Work
Everything was done as contracted. The job was beautiful. The experience was positive.

02/01/2011

JUDITH H.

I liked them. It was a lot. It went fine. They were willing to come to my home. My sofa is too big to get out of my apartment. They actually did the work right in my home. They were not too fast about it, but they were efficient. Some things weren't exactly right and they kept working on them till they were. They were very persistent. The price was okay.

Description of Work
Beckenstein Fabric & Interiors re-upholstered a big sofa.

Category furniture repair, upholstery

10/01/2010

NANCY L.

Description of Work
I had cushions which had to be resurfaced, as they hadn’t been done correctly originally and the feathers were sticking out and going everywhere. Beckenstein Fabric & Interiors took the cushions away and said they would be re-covered. I offered to pay for transportation to speed things along, but they never did follow up regarding this. About 10 days later, they returned the cushions with what looks like the same covering and feathers were still everywhere. I paid in advance, over $1100. Fortunately, though, I had used American Express and was able to dispute the charges with them. It looks like the same covering. I do no know how they have the nerve. The feathers were everywhere and still on the outside of cushion. I called immediately and spoke with someone from Beckenstein called David, but he said I would have to speak with a salesman. He forwarded me, but I was on hold and never got to speak with someone. I am filing with the BBB in addition to filling a report with Angie’s List and wish there was a grade lower than F to give them.

05/20/2009

Tina F.

They were very helpful in picking out the fabric.

Description of Work
We visited them on a Saturday, picked out the fabric and the job was done two weeks later and delivered... They even fixed one of the frames of the chair cushion. It was more expensive than I would have liked for two chair cushions, but they are beautiful.

Category furniture repair

03/23/2009

Geraldine Wallman W.

The work was well done by Beckenstein Fabric and Interiors. It was expensive. It took longer than they said it would to get my item delivered back to me. The price depends on the fabric. They are very established and reputable. They do very high quality work. You know you get what you pay for.

Description of Work
I used Beckenstein Fabric and Interiors for upholstery work.

12/04/2008

Grace L.

I phoned Beckenstein and several other NYC upholstery and repair companies. Several other upholsterers in New York City did not want to be bothered with such a small job, but Tony at Beckenstein was extremely helpful. They all quoted prices higher than Beckenstein or indicated the job would have to wait until after the Christmas holidays. Beckenstein had the cushion ready in 2 weeks.

Description of Work
I needed a long sofa cushion re-sized to fit on top of an ottoman. Beckenstein did the work perfectly and for a good price.

11/04/2007

Ivan C.

Though we didn't take the most expensive option, the cushion we got was better than the original had ever been, and it was ready several days earlier than we had been expecting. The people at the store were helpful and we plan to go back there to have other pillows made in the near future.

Description of Work
A sofa cushion that had never been great was losing its will to live, so we brought the cushion casing to Beckenstein to have a replacement made.

07/26/2007

geraldine S.

I had to search out someone else to complete the cleaning and repair. Oh, and by the way, this top notch cleaner told me the fabric had not deteriorated, but did show fading and dirt as I expected. It was possible to clean it and the repair would be easy. I'll have them back in 2 to 3 weeks.

Description of Work
Beckenstein sold me the fabric and made the shades a few years ago. I had a great deal of difficulty with them then. In essence, the order was never placed, causing a few months delay. They were finally installed. It is now time to have the strings repaired as many of them have broken. After contacting Beckenstein, being told that they would be happy to repair them, and then having them dismantled, they called only to tell me they needed to be cleaned first. (They told me this could be done after repair.) They then said that they didn't want to repair them. I finally found one of the finest cleaners in NY to take them. They also are sending them to an upholsterer/window treatment firm who will repair the strings. Basically, I have found Beckenstein to be unreliable and extremely unwilling to provide customer service. It is a mediocre firm at best and I would never recommend them to anyone.

11/15/2006

TRISH R.

Beckenstein made a three-panel set of solar window shades for my oversize window. I paid half upfront, and three weeks later my shipment arrived. Their extremely competent installer, Carlos, did a great job and gave me advice on how raise and lower them and keep them clean. It turned out that my initial measurements (which I did myself) were off, and made the quote higher than they should have been. So the owner, Larry, credited me toward the balance. Good work and honest. How refreshing!

Description of Work
I came into Beckenstein with my own measurements and looked at samples for the type of window shade I wanted. After okaying the quoted amount, I paid half the balance and Beckenstein sent their installer Carlos to my apartment a week later for a more exact set of measurements. He asked me detailed questions about what kind of shade pulley I wanted and about placement. He gave me excellent advice. The window shades took about three weeks to make, then Carlos returned with an assistant to install them. He was fast and efficient, and the shades look great.

05/26/2006

THE CHAIR AND SOFA WERE RENOVATED TO MATCH THE NEW CARPET VERY WELL. THEY DID A VERY PROFESSIONAL AND BEAUTIFUL JOB. THEY WERE VERY CAREFUL AND NEAT. THEY CLEANED UP ALL THE MESS.

Description of Work
THEY CAME OUT WITH SWATCHES AND FABRIC SAMPLES. WE PICKED WHAT WE WANTED AND WHEN IT CAME IN, THEY CAME OUT REMOVED OLD COVERING OF OUR SOFA AND CHAIR AND REPLACED IT WITH THE NEW.

05/26/2006

THIS COMPANY HAD A HUGE SELECTION OF FABRIC. THEY MEASURED TWICE FOR ME AND INSTALLED THE SHADES WONDERFULLY. THEY GAVE ME A FREE ESTIMATE AND DID A FABULOUS JOB. I WOULD RECOMMEND THEM.

Description of Work
I HAD THIS COMPANY MAKE CUSTOM SHADES FOR ME.

02/08/2006

I AM VERY HAPPY WITH WHAT THEY DID. IT TOOK THEM AWHILE TO RESPOND TO OUR CALL BUT THEY ARE VERY BUSY. IT TOOK THEM AWHILE TO FIX EVERYTHING BUT IT WORKS EVEN BETTER NOW THAN IT DID BEFORE.

Description of Work
THEY REPLACED THE ROCKING UNIT IN OUR CHAIR AND ALSO REPLACED THE STUFFING IN THE CUSHION.

Category furniture repair

Impress Wallpaper

My name is Ari Rosenzweig, owner of Impress Wallpaper in Brooklyn NY. We are a family run wallpaper installation business that is passionate about creating beautiful walls for people. We have seen a big increase in decorating with wallpaper in New York and surounding states and are excited to see wallpaper make a big comeback. With experience in decorating and a special focus on wallpapering you can rest assured that we are professional in every way. It is our goal to ensure our clients are happy with the finished job. We never get tired of seeing the big smiles on our clients faces when they see the end result of how beautiful wallpaper can look in their homes and work places. Wallpaper certainly transforms interiors and it's our pleasure to ensure that the installation is professional and affordable. We are experts in all kinds of wallpaper installation, having worked for designers, building contractors and many private clients. For a free quote contact us on 1-646-926-2382 / info@impresswallpaper.com

Offers by Impress Wallpaper  on Angi
    K N P Zuniga Painting

We have the experience and dedication to get the job done right! Specializing in painting services; We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won't leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Call or click for your FREE estimate today!

Shamrock Painting & Wallpapering

My name is Kevin Granahan. I'm a painting and wallpapering contractor for residential and commercial projects in Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens & Brooklyn. I bring over 20+ yrs experience, offering professional,neat, meticulous work at reasonable rates. We pride ourselves on treating each project, from estimate to completion, as if it were our own.

MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check, Visa
    Satisfaction

Re-Upholstery, Custom Drapery, Hardware, Motorized Shades, Custom Bedding, Custom Throw Pillows, Upholstered Beds, Upholstered Headboards, Custom New Furniture. Shop-At-Home, Pick-up and Delivery, Installations.