Astar Heating & Air Conditioning Inc

Founded 1976 • With Angi since May 2011

36 Wes Warren Dr

Middletown, NY 10941

Astar Heating & A/C Inc is a customer focused heating and air conditioning company that was originally started in 1976. Located in Middletown, NY, we employ highly trained people whose goal is to make our company the best service company in Orange County New York. Our company specializes in

09/11/2022

george I.

Astar: S#!tshow Incorporated An absolute catastrophe from the moment I sent them money until they finally got their act together to finish the project four and a half months later (with mediocre results at best). Their ability to communicate was abysmal and they utterly failed to take any sort of meaningful responsibility several times over. They proved unable to track information both internally and especially coming from me (even by email!) and in the end seem not to have much of an understanding of the products they sell. The trouble initially arose from their failure to note the several times I told them I was in Putnam rather than Dutchess county. It turns out they're not licensed to work in Putnam, but rather than doing the right thing and telling me that so that we could find a solution, they gave me nebulous excuses about how there was a snag with the electrical permit and that it was going to take a little more time. They were quick to get some things installed (probably so I couldn't walk away from the contract if I learned what was really going on), but then were unresponsive and would only give me a runaround on when things would happen and never answered my questions fully. This issue almost screwed me out of a rebate as I had to tell them several times that I'm with NYSEG instead of Central Hudson before they got it right. Their initial timing estimate left me with the choice of shlepping diesel for a few weeks to keep my hot water running or dealing with 100+ gallons of fuel oil when the job was done, so I went with the former. That would've been easy if it had hit their early target of two weeks and a reasonable but manageable hassle at their late target of six. They left me cold for three unexpected months (Jan-Apr) during which I spent many hours and hundreds of dollars on diesel, firewood, and electric heaters (not to mention an astronomical electric bill). In compensation they took roughly $1200 off my $43000 bill, which feels about like getting a dollar tip on a $20 check. Along the way, there were other issues (such as their plan to leave the boiler "as a backup" for me to deal with despite my having told their sales rep point blank that my whole aim was to remove the boiler). The quality of work was OK, but by no means great. The vents they use are absurdly cheap, don't really open & close properly, and the control knob frequently comes out when I try to operate them. Information from the installation planning meeting was either ignored or changed on the fly but their technicians, and one of their guys gouged my mechanical room door while removing the old boiler tank (which would've been easily avoided with the extra minute's work to put a blanket over it) & didn't so much as apologize for it. On top of it all, I'm still finding trash from the job around my property. Finally, their design of the system doesn't allow different rooms to run different functions; an issue I never would have accepted if I'd known. (for what it's worth, that seemed a surprise to the technician who came back to address the non-functioning thermostat they initially left me with). Also: upon the end their last scheduled install day, and with zero warning that this was going to happen, the installer demanded that I pay the remaining $23000 balance right then and there as though everyone simply has that amount of cash in their checking account or available on their credit card at all times and would not leave until I put half on a card, only accepting the half payment because I could name issues they still needed to come back and fix. Jason, the rep that sold me the system in the first place was kind, courteous, and gave me lots of faith in that company. I don't believe that was misleading me intentionally, but I deeply wish that they'd sent someone less likable and more reflective of the way their company actually operates. They sell an image of professionalism that absolutely misrepresents them as a company. Listen to the complaints about their outlandish pricing and terrible service. Jason told me that Yelp offered to scrub the bad reviews for them for an exorbitant amount of money and to trust the other sites, but I can only conclude that it's a lot cheaper to manage your brand image on Angi and other, less ubiquitous review sites.

Description of Work
Replacing an oil boiler with mini splits and a hybrid electric water heater

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water heater repair

04/20/2022

Laura P.

This company refused to do the repair because the parts needed were being sent to my home by the manufacturer. The wanted me to purchase parts from them that were covered for free under my warranty.

Description of Work
Repair on boiler

10/25/2019

Cindy O.

Very glad I did it. I need a new furnace. There's a lot wrong with it. Found out it's almost 15 years old and could die during winter. The tech will get me prices on different ones and will go from there.

Description of Work
Clean and check out furnace.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

05/03/2018

Linda W.

I use them all the time. They do an excellent job. I will recommend them and use them, again.

Description of Work
Heating and A/C Service

11/01/2017

Debra M.

Aster evaluated the system and assisted us in determining the boiler/ water system best for us. Work was done over 3 days, everything was neat. Workers were very courteous.

Description of Work
Install of new boiler and indirect water heating system.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

11/01/2017

Ute M.

Astar is always on time. They worked efficiently and leave the work area very clean. Installation was done in one day.

Description of Work
Purchase of new propane fired boiler and installation.

Category heating oil companies

10/07/2017

Betsy C.

John completed the work in a professional and friendly manner and we felt confident in his work expertise.

Description of Work
John completed a routine maintenance service of our water system and UV light

Category water softeners

10/06/2017

Ruby S.

John was friendly did not waste time. Went to work got the job done. Came in went over the work that was done. I paid him sign the papers and he left.

Description of Work
My air condition was service.

10/05/2017

Susana T.

Arrived within projected time frame applied rimnely to treashs behaved in a professional manner was responsive to questions.

Description of Work
Heat and AC tune ups filter replacement

04/24/2017

David W.

Terrific job. Professional, competent & courteous service.

Description of Work
Retrofit installation of indirect fired water heater.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Thank you very much for your review! We look forward to helping you again in the future.

04/18/2017

Peter D.

A-Star was on time, responsive to my needs and provided quality service. Their technicians are very courteous and knowledgeable.

Description of Work
AC/water maintenance

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

03/19/2017

timothy S.

30 Years ago when the heat went out at work on Christmas eve at 2am, Astar responded immediately !! Now today as a homeowner, when my furnace stopped working , I called AStar first!! ( not because the name starts with an A). Kyle the Service tech, could not get to my home because the roads were closed for a local event. He had to park his truck a mile away and carry his tools and parts. Instead of postponing the appointment, my heat was repaired quickly ! I am glad to see there level of service continues to exceed expectations ! Ed , Kyle deserves a Raise !!

Description of Work
Repair HVAC system

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for your kind words about Kyle - we appreciate it and we look forward to helping you again in the future!

12/30/2016

Peter S.

I have used AStar in the past and will continue to use them for all my future heating system needs. AStar staff from telephone reception to the completion of the work by the technician were professional, courteous and knowledgeable. Technician was prompt and complete all of the work in a timely manner. Exceptionally thorough in his diagnostic work and in the completion of the repair work required. He took the time to explain every detail of the job with me and gave me a better understanding of how my heating system works. I have used AStar in the past and will continue to use them for all of my heating system needs. Great job and I can't recommend them enough!

Description of Work
Boiler maintenance and replaced motor and general tune-up of heating system.

12/16/2016

MIchelle Renee F.

It went extremely well, workers were on time & courteous. The left the house clean after the job.

Description of Work
Replaced HVAC & furnace.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for your review! We look forward to helping you again in the future.

12/14/2016

Tomas V.

It was sort of a transfer, I had bought a unit, I was really unhappy with it. The owner came out and they basically swapped out the unit and only charged me a small portion of the unit. So, they did the right thing! It was somewhere around $3,000.

Description of Work
They replaced the system.

12/14/2016

Tomas V.

It was like $15,000. I would give him an “A”, the equipment sucked.

Description of Work
They installed a new system.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review.

10/08/2016

Robert B.

Complete HVAC Water Boiler qualified technicians and very courtesy excellent workmanship

Description of Work
Complete HVAC

10/04/2016

Brian M.

The experience was good. They were very punctual and very professional. The servicemen even wore plastic booties to make sure he’s not messing up the house. They came exactly when they say they were going to come. They did their normal job. With price, you always like the cheapest.

Description of Work
They did inspection to our air conditioning system, cleaning and replacement of the filter.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for your review! Our team looks forward to helping you again in the future.

09/26/2016

James H.

They are a very honest company. I had a few questions and the owner spoke and met with me. Great respect for this company.

Description of Work
Annual cleaning of furnace and HVAC.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for a great review! We look forward to helping you again in the future.

09/19/2016

Eric A.

No one wants to have to do these things but ASTAR was punctual, professional, and courteous. Their pricing was also very fair.

Description of Work
New Central Air Conditioner and Hot Water Heater.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water heater repair

Thanks so much for your review - we appreciate it and look forward to helping you again in the future!

09/16/2016

Edward M.

After an extensive process of having different contractors evaluate my home & submit their estimates for the installation of a Bosch tankless boiler/water heater combination unit as well as new baseboard heating, I selected AStar Heating & Cooling. Their staff impressed me from start to finish. Initially, I met Aaron who provided a thorough explanation of how the work would be done, offered other options that I did not know of or considered at the time, and provided a fair estimate that was similar to most of the other contractors. Next, when the time came for the projects to be completed, the technicians, Robert & Trevor, were on point. They always arrived in a timely manner & started working right away. They worked efficiently & quickly to get the projects done in the time frame promised. However, they did not rush, they took pride in their work & made every effort to make sure the work was completed neatly & done properly, as they thoroughly tested out the systems to make sure their were no issues/problems in their setup & performance. They also thoroughly answered my questions about the installation of the new systems as they went about their work. At the end of each workday, they made sure to clean up the job site & were very mindful in not dirtying my new floors by wearing plastic booties whenever they had to walk over them. The Bosch tankless water heater/boiler combination unit has been working without a hitch. I barely notice the difference in the time lag of receiving hot water in comparison to the old 40 gallon tank water heater I previously used. Overall, I highly recommend AStar Heating & Cooling. High quality work done high quality professionals. All of them put my mind at ease on what was a very necessary home improvement project.

Description of Work
Installation of a Bosch tankless boiler / water heater combination unit as well as new baseboard heating.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water heater repair

Thank you so much for the great, detailed review. We look forward to helping you again in the future!

09/15/2016

Barbara P.

I think they are aggressive but excellent at their job.

Description of Work
They are excellent but their prices are high. They did my air conditioning maintenance.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review! Our team looks forward to helping you again in the future.

09/08/2016

Jack G.

All team members we had contact with during our project were extremely professional.

Description of Work
Central air conditioning system install.

07/31/2016

Lenny K.

Pump needed to be replaced our to a ground fault causer by a power surg. On the advice of BD at a salt replacement was concern by insurance.

Description of Work
Replace heat pump.

07/28/2016

Brian M.

Great! Tech wore booties so floor wasn't marred. Gave info on status of system.

Description of Work
Annual maintenance & filter change.

C2G Environmental Consultants LLC

C2G Environmental Consultants, LLC specializes in underground storage tank removals and abandonments, above ground storage tank removals and installations, remediation of contaminated soil, groundwater investigations, and emergency spill response. By choosing C2G Environmental, you can be assured that your environmental project will be handled with the utmost care and professionalism. C2G Environmental is a full service environmental company. What sets us apart from other companies is our highly trained staff of professional geologists and hydrologists, as well as technicians. We do not use sub-contractors or rental equipment. We are authorized by New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey to remove and haul contaminated material. Our Services: • Tank Removals, Abandonments & Installations • 24 Hour Emergency Spill Response • Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) • Geoprobe & Vac Truck Services • Water, Soil, Air Testing/Monitoring • Liquid/Soil Transportation & Disposal • Petroleum Facility Compliance Audits (Class A/B Operator) • Phase I & II Environmental Site Assessment

Wallace Energy

For over 80 years, Wallace Energy has been the name that your NY neighbors have trusted for all of their home comfort services (heating oil, propane, air conditioning, electrical, generator). From always being there when they need us 24/7 to pricing and payment plans that help them manage their energy costs throughout the year, your neighbors chose Wallace Energy as the local company that provides total home comfort, total peace of mind and great savings on energy costs. Find out why by letting us do the same for you today!

Foamco Inc

Foamco Inc is a New York-based contractor with more than a decade of experience in the home improvement industry. With headquarters in Bullville, New York, we focus on providing homeowners, builders and remodelers, and architects, with a cost effective insulation solution that provides superior performance, energy savings, and comfort in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Financing Available

Residential and commercial installation, repair of boilers, furnaces, heat pumps, air conditioners, gas fireplaces, log sets, water softeners, RO systems, sterilizers & generators