Starkie Brothers Landscaping Inc

Founded 1975 • With Angi since May 2010

Award Winning Landscape Plantings, Construction & Masonry Designs for Over 40 Years! Our special talent is in developing our clients' visions - adding a spark of creativity to develop functional, high quality exterior living spaces. Our horticulturists, designers and architects insure that your landscape project will be a living, growing investment. Starkie Brothers grows 30 acres of ornamental trees and shrubs on the North Fork of Long Island. As commercial growers, we offer our clients several important benefits- better prices, high quality, and hearty Long Island Grown plants. WE DESIGN IT! WE PLANT IT! WE BUILD IT! WE GUARANTEE IT! Landscape Plantings...Design & Installation...Stone Veneer...BBQ's, Outdoor Kitchens, Pizza Ovens, Fireplaces, & Fire Pits...Poolside & Accents, Pergolas, Pavilions, & Gazebo's...Masonry Entrances, Driveways, Walks, Patios, Pools & Spas. Residential & Commercial - Licensed & Insured...

A Service Provider's profile image

+8 more images

lawn & landscaping (29)hardscaping (22)masonry (10)driveway pavers (8)concrete driveways (8)decks & porches (7)mulch delivering (12)lawn care (9)

08/25/2022

lorinda B.

The landscaping came out beautiful. When you hire Starkie Bros. you get the platinum package every time. We used them 21 years ago to do the pavers and landscape around the pool in the yard. We were extremely happy then as we are now. He even had several of the same workers and they remembered working on our yard. He also did our front walkway in pavers a couple of years ago. I would definitely recommend John Starkie!

Description of Work
Front of house landscape

Work Completed On 08/23/2022

07/22/2022

John T.

Outstanding work. John Starkie is a genius. Hard working professional with an artistic touch in landscape design. Turned my dump of a backyard with a crumbling patio into a work of art.

Description of Work
replaced patio and landscaped backyare

Category decks, landscaping, lawn service, masonry, mulch

Work Completed On 07/22/2022

03/20/2022

Janet E.

From the outset, we were impressed by Starkie Brothers' professionalism. First of all, a live person actually answered their business phone and, on the spot, set up an appointment for a consultation and estimate. The woman we spoke with was polite, warm and competent. John Starkie came out to our house several days later, listened to our wish list, surveyed the area and wrote up a detailed estimate. Mr. Starkie is a personable fellow but more importantly, he is a straight shooter. We liked him from the beginning and our instincts were proven to be correct. He wrote up our estimate on a Friday, by the following Tuesday our project was complete. He organized and coordinated everything: the scheduling of the cement mixer and the power washer to interface with his own technicians and move the project along most efficiently. It was a pleasure working with Starkie Brothers. We've already recommended them to several of our neighbors who've complimented the work we had done and we fully intend to employ their services in the future.

Description of Work
removed and replaced blue stone walkway; removed and replaced cement walkway; silicone sanded paver driveway

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 03/14/2022

12/15/2021

Patrick D.

John is a joy to work with. He is knowledgeable, pleasant and hard working. He has a great sense of landscape design. His team is skilled, pleasant, and very talented. I plan on doing more projects with them.

Description of Work
Landscape design and plantings

Category decks, mulch

Work Completed On 12/14/2021

08/10/2021

Lauren C.

We hired Starkie Landscaping Design to create a patio space for a hot tub. Mr. Starkie created an amazing area that exceeding our expectations. He is hands on throughout the entire process and his level of communication is excellent. The crew that completed the job was outstanding. These men are hard workers, meticulous and always made sure all areas were clean before they left for the day. As we are new homeowners, Mr. Starkie was able to provide us with recommendations for other specialists that were needed after the job such as irrigation and electric. Even after the project was completed, Mr. Starkie came back to check in on our plants as we were nervous about the heat wave. He truly cares about his customers and takes pride in his work. I would highly recommend Starkie Brothers to any of my family and friends.

Description of Work
Patio for Hot Tub

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/03/2021

Review for Starkie Brothers Landscaping Inc - 703 Main St, Farmingdale, NY - 39439104

05/03/2021

Mike V.

I Hired Starkie Landscaping Design about a month ago and recently had some issues with grass re-growing in the area of the new landscape design. I called John Starkie to discuss this issue and not only did he respond within minutes of my call he had sent a crew over 20-30 minutes after I spoke with him. if that is not prompt service and GREAT!!!! care for your customers I do not know what is I CAN NOT SAY ENOUGH how much my wife an I appreciated how quickly they came out and addressed this issue. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMENDED them to anyone in the Long Island area looking for new landscape design A+++ Thank you John and team

Description of Work
Landscape Design

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch

Work Completed On 05/03/2021

Review for Starkie Brothers Landscaping Inc - 703 Main St, Farmingdale, NY - 39317549

12/04/2020

Natasha Y.

I am so happy I could cry. I'm over the moon with the phenomenal mason walking path and garden landscaping job that John Starkie and his crew did for our home. It was an amazing transformation for our front yard. They were professional, hard working, and dedicated to completing the job in an efficient and timely manner; it only took two days. I highly recommend their services!

Description of Work
Mason Walkway/Path and Landscaping

Category landscaping, masonry

Work Completed On 12/02/2020

11/13/2020

Joe P.

This was our 1st experience with Mr. Starkie and we had a wonderful experience. John came to our house with paper, pen and tools to design a layout of what he envisioned for our house. It was 100% perfect and to the tee to what we were looking for. His men worked hard and was always neat and meticulous in what they did. They were a joy to work with if we needed anything else and very quick to take care of those things. John was always on-site to check on the work and to always keep my wife and I informed on what was being done. Great job to Starkie Brothers and looking forward to working with them again in the future. I will definitely recommend.

Description of Work
Driveway, walkway to the front door, side area to the kitchen door and landscaping in front

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch, driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/18/2020

10/26/2020

Diane T.

Excellent job in all areas. The finished look is beautiful. Tree selection was great. Layout of plants is really pretty. Professional job all around! I would highly recommend this company and will use them again.

Description of Work
Planting, weeding, lawn leveling, top soil and seeding.

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch

Work Completed On 10/26/2020

08/26/2020

Tammy J.

The service was excellent! We are very happy with the outcome. Starkie brothers gave our front yard a beautiful high end curb appeal that will last. We love our new driveway, pavers, and landscaping. Thank you!

Description of Work
Driveway, pavers, landscaping

Category concrete driveways, masonry, mulch, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/26/2020

08/07/2020

Kaitlin S.

We have worked with John Starkie twice. Once he did our landscaping in our front yard, and the second time we hired him to do a huge masonry job in our backyard and driveway. He responds the same day, always- within an hour. John is brilliant. Genius designer. He was present on our job multiple times a day for the duration. He is meticulous. His men are meticulous and worked 10 hours a day to get the job done in time for a party. Our yard is beyond gorgeous- cars stop often to look in and see the work . Bravo to John and his team. Would hire again and again for everything.

Description of Work
Masonry and driveway

Category decks, concrete driveways, landscaping, masonry, mulch, driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 07/24/2020

Review for Starkie Brothers Landscaping Inc - 703 Main St, Farmingdale, NY - 38788649

08/02/2020

Anthony B.

John was great. I had no idea where to start with remodeling the landscaping and hardscaping in front of my house. But John hand-drew a comprehensive plan and gave a fair price. His team was very professional and very efficient. Shrubs are guaranteed for a year! Cant beat that! John is also known to follow up with his customers year after year to continue to make sure they are satisfied. Will certainly keep John in mind for future hardscaping work!

Description of Work
New shrubbery and hardscaping

Category lawn service, hardscaping

Work Completed On 07/27/2020

06/22/2020

Bob M.

Excellent. Contacted me immediately and returned calls and questions in a very timely fashion. The final work result was beyond our expectations.

Description of Work
pavers patio & walkway, cultures stone siding, landscaping & design

Category decks, masonry, hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/22/2020

05/11/2020

James M.

John and his team were very professional and highly competent. The new driveway looks great, and at a very reasonable price. Would definitely recommend . In fact, I am having them back to do some landscaping now.

Description of Work
Redesign and repair asphalt driveway with new pavers

Category driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 04/27/2020

05/06/2020

Deborah F.

Excellent!! Extremely happy with the service. The workers were on time, professional and cleaned up after the work. The project was done on time and excellent quality. Would certainly hire them for future projects.

Description of Work
the backyard needed topsoil and sod

Category decks, hardscaping

Work Completed On 05/06/2020

08/02/2019

Ralph G.

Starkie Brothers did an outstanding job. They removed old, overgrown shrubs quickly & quietly. Then, they prepped & poured concrete & laid pavers in a completely redesigned walkway & driveway. Finally, they planted all new shrubs. The workers were neat, respectful & professional. All of this was done in 4 1/2 days of HOT Summer weather. We can’t recommend them enough. We are thrilled!

Description of Work
Walkway, driveway & landscaping

Category concrete driveways, landscaping, lawn service, mulch, driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/02/2019

06/13/2019

Jo Ann E.

Excellent work. I have never seen a person so passionate about their work. John was extremely attentive and understanding, even when my personal opinion may have differed slightly from his professional one. He guided me through the planning and even made changes along the way as the project developed. His crew was very kind and hard working. I would hire him again in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
major plantings front and back

Category landscaping, mulch

Work Completed On 06/12/2019

Review for Starkie Brothers Landscaping Inc - 703 Main St, Farmingdale, NY - 37928204

Thank you so very much Mrs. [Member Name Removed]! It was our pleasure to have the opportunity to work for someone as kind as you! We also appreciate your time to review us and posting the pictures of your project. Always remember, any questions or concerns at any time, just let us know. Enjoy the summer and your beautiful home! Best Regards, Cheryl

11/20/2018

Tricia L.

Starkie Brothers was one of our top choices when it came time to rip up our old concrete patio and replace it with pavers. We knew we would get quality work that would be sustainable for years to come. John met with us on several occasions and was patient with us throughout our decision-making when it came down to the design of our project. John had great ideas...he was detailed in his project plans, discussing everything from rip up & removal, drainage, piping, design and layout. John took the time to come to our house on several occasions until every detail was discussed and finalized. He even met us at the supply place to look at our options re: pavers. Our project was broken down into two parts - 1) a rear patio off of our house and 2) a paver patio surrounding a new pool as well as a black top driveway. Part 1 was completed this Fall. John and his crew were at our house every morning as scheduled. They worked diligently to complete the project in 4 days. His crew was very friendly and communicated with us throughout. John kept us updated via text and phone calls, even sending us pictures of the progress throughout the day! He had our kids create a time capsule which he buried for them. The work was neat, organized and all cleaned up at the end of each day and at the end of project. We have yet to decide on landscaping but the groundwork has been laid by John for irrigation. Part 2 will be completed in the Spring, giving the area around the new pool install time to settle. Will update review once that part is complete. Pics are before/during/after

Description of Work
Rip up and removal of concrete patio and driveway; replace with paver patio and blacktop

Category masonry, hardscaping

Work Completed On 10/25/2018

Review for Starkie Brothers Landscaping Inc - 703 Main St, Farmingdale, NY - 37565500

Thank you so very much Mr. & Mrs. [Member Name Removed]!! Our Pleasure!! Thank you so very much for taking the time [Member Information Removed] post this review along with the photo's. John absolutely loves what he does, but when he has the opportunity [Member Information Removed] complete a project for customers as nice as you & Mr. [Member Name Removed], it makes his heart happy!! He loved doing the time capsule with your children. He would remark everyday how smart and wonderful they are! We are always here if you have any questions or concerns. Once again, thank you for taking the time during this busy season. We wish you the happiest of Thanksgivings [Member Information Removed] you and yours! Best Regards, Cheryl

10/25/2018

Julia T.

Working with my ideas, John came up with the most unique, peaceful, well designed plan. His hand drawn ideas came to life better than expected. His care for detail, aesthetics, and workmanship were outstanding. His crew was meticulous, knowledgeable, and sensitive to my needs as the project progressed. The results are outstanding. A unique feature of the job is my L shaped, stone dog run behind the planting! . Here are some photos of my newly landscaped peaceful place. Thank you. Julie Tedeschi

Description of Work
It was time to change my raised-bed railroad tie vegetable garden in the backyard to something else...

Work Completed On 09/26/2018

Review for Starkie Brothers Landscaping Inc - 703 Main St, Farmingdale, NY - 37503070

Thank you so much Mrs. Tedeshci for all your kind words! I rarely get out of the office and really appreciate seeing the pictures! It was truly our pleasure to work for someone as nice as you! Please feel free to call if you have any questions or concerns at anytime. Best Regards, Cheryl

10/11/2018

alan S.

john and his men did great work..they told us how they were going to perform the work..i did some of my own research and they built it the way it should be...they cut no corners..looking at other jobs in the area done by others than starkie...you can see the difference..they were on time....cleaned up daily....the design they used is unlike some of the more average designs around the area....not the cheapest...but when we first spoke...how they were going to do my project played a major part in our decision to hire them...everyone that sees what they did are complimentary of the look created...

Description of Work
stonework in front and back

Category concrete driveways, landscaping, driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 10/11/2018

Thank you Mr. & Mrs. [Member Name Removed], for your kind review! We work hard to meet expectations like yours, and we're happy to hear we hit the mark. On behalf our entire team, it was our pleasure! Please feel free to contact us if your have any questions or concerns, at anytime. Best Regards, Cheryl

08/30/2018

Maryellen G.

It went great. Our house could be in a magazine. We just wanted to spruce up our front after fully renovating our home. Starkie Brothers came to look at our property and right there gave us some design ideas and a price range so we knew what to expect when he returned with our planting plan. We gave a small deposit and less than a week later we scheduled our install. The crew showed up at 9am with John Starkie to get them started. They had us look at the real layout before they planted anything to make sure we liked it and then they started planting. They were all done start to finish in 3 hours and did a great job cleaning up too. John Starkie also gave us some idea of the easy maintenance we would have to do. I would recommend Starkie Brothers for any of your landscaping needs

Description of Work
Landscaping front of our house

Work Completed On 08/30/2018

Review for Starkie Brothers Landscaping Inc - 703 Main St, Farmingdale, NY - 37365540

Thank you so very much Mrs. [Member Name Removed], It was our pleasure! Thank you for the kind review and know we are always here if you have any questions or concerns. Best Regards, Cheryl

06/28/2018

Gregory S.

John Starkie was in contact with us on a daily basis. He did what he said he would do and it came out great. The work was beautiful and done in a professional manner. I will hire him again when it comes time to do our driveway.

Description of Work
900 square foot patio

Category decks, concrete driveways, landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/13/2018