FRED'S CARPET

Founded 1959 • With Angi since February 2006

318 LARKFIELD RD

East Northport, NY 11731

Fred's Carpet is a third generation family business celebrating over 50 years of 'Old Fashioned Service.' Currently owned by Andy and Marianne Capobianco, we have been proudly serving the East Northport area since 1959. Our courteous and knowledgeable staff, combined with our great selection of

10/02/2018

Bruce F.

Chris was incredible. he arrived on time, was fully repaired to complete the job, and did what was needed. very polite and he treated my property as if it was his own. we're completely satisfied with the work. no one could have done a better job than this.

Description of Work
carpet was pulled up by water mitigation team to dry sub-flooring, needed to be reset and resealed where carpets met.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Thank you so much for your kind words... It was a pleasure doing business with you!

02/12/2018

Heidi G.

The carpeting always came in on time and we never had to wait weeks to have it installed. We highly recommend Fred's Carpet.

Description of Work
We have been using Fred's Carpet since 1984. We replaced carpeting in both our homes and relied on the expertise of both Andy and Mary Ann. They offer quality carpeting, but most important is their excellent customer service. We would never think to go any place else.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Thank you so much.....you are such a pleasure to do business with!

10/20/2017

john M.

Everything went smooth as glass on both installations.

Description of Work
Carpeted my granddaughter's bedroom and recarpeted my living room.

10/13/2017

Thomas F.

Very smoothly. The person that did the job was very efficient, neat and we could tell that he knew what he was doing as part of our kitchen subflooring had to be rebuilt.

Description of Work
New sheet vinyl in kitchen and dining room and new carpet on stairway and loft.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Thank you for the positive review, you were a pleasure to do business with! Sincerely, Marianne Capobianco

09/05/2017

Lorraine G.

I just remember the service was fantastic, the installation as well. I would recommend them to anybody. I'm very satisfied.

Description of Work
Carpet installation.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Thank you! You are a pleasure! I had so much fun helping you find the perfect Carpet! All the best, Marianne

08/01/2017

Kathleen T.

Very well and the installers worked quickly and well even vacuuming upon completion.

Description of Work
wall to wall carpeting in our bedroom. My only complaint was that I had read that it was good to use an electric stretcher. I was assured that it would be used and was not.

06/20/2017

Michael G.

I called in morning when they opened and they asked me if they could call me back in 1 hr. Well no one called back all day, so I called them. When I called, they said sorry for not calling back and that they didn't have time to install this carpet for me. It is about 1 hr of labor only. I then said in not in a rush and can wait to have it installed and lady kept saying sorry, I I wish I could help you. I am amassed that they are turning away business. I am a business owner and know that treatment like that will come back to you, especially when you are dealing with local people who talk alot.

Description of Work
small home theater room carpet install. room was only 12 x 18.

Category carpet installation

So thank so much for your feedback, Tuesday mornings are our Monday mornings and quite hectic, we had a display that collapsed in the store which commanded our attention. When you spoke with sherry in the am she explained to you that there are a lot of variables when a customer buys there carpet online, firstly, we have no way of knowing whether it is first quality, so we can not guarantee an install, Secondly, we have limited installation hours available with our expert installers, they are in high demand, we must give preference to customers who actually purchase their carpet from us. We do carry even the highly specialized carpet that you purchased online. Too bad you didn't find us on Angie's list before you did your online purchase As we would never turn away a legitimate customer. We pride ourselves in excellent product selection, accurate estimating , installation and customer service. We have a stellar reputation in the community that we have earned with hard work and integrity, I sincerely hope that as a business owner yourself, you can Appreciate that online reviews Tell a one sided story and although you are entitled to your opinion , they should not be used as an intimidation practice.

05/21/2017

Phillip N.

We are so happy with our choice and grateful for the care, attention and concern Fred's showed helping us chose our flooring. The service was perfect too. Measurements taken right on schedule. Installation was right on time, professional, courteous, cleaned up, trash bagged and bundled. I had gotten so used to box store non-service, I was in awe of the care and attention we received by this family business. Do yourself a favor, stop by and choose from a larger selection, get advise from pros and feel thanked for spending your hard earned money at a family owned business.

Description of Work
We needed a new floor in our kitchen. We had decided long ago on a cork floor for both environmental and aesthetic reasons. Didn't happen. Why? Because the sales people at Fred's asked questions. Do you have a pet? Yes. Consider something other than cork. It will absorb urine and you won't be happy (Fred's sells cork flooring and it was more expensive than what we ended up with).

Category flooring contractor

04/10/2017

Richard W.

Workers were excellent. The owner was not very friendly and short when asking questions, luckily he has excellent people working in the show room that compensate for him.

Description of Work
Carpet runner

02/24/2017

Marion K.

Within the four years we've had the tile, they've had to come out twice. They came to repair the same section of the boards underneath the tile both times. The gentleman who came out each time to fix the issue was arrogant about the whole situation and it felt like he tried to brush us off, suggesting we just cover the section with a rug.

Description of Work
Installed kitchen tile and laid boards underneath.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor

I am sorry you are still having this problem, I would like to call you to discuss this problem, I will,call you tomorrow, marianne

09/27/2016

John P.

Could not have been happier. Second time using them - there was no other place I thought of calling. The selection process was smooth, hassle-free with many choices given and no pressure at all. Setting up the installation was just as easy - it was such a pleasure working with Andy and the installation team was prompt and extremely professional. No need to shop elsewhere - at Fred's you'll get personal, professional service that you won't find anywhere else, especially the big-box retailers.

Description of Work
Installed carpeting in two upstairs rooms and closets

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Thank you so much for the beautiful review! You were a pleasure to do business with, it's customers like you that help keep the family owned Local retail business's thriving, we always strive for excellence and it's really nice to see that our hard work is appreciated. All the best, Marianne

08/04/2016

Gary M.

Fantastic. Very pleasant and efficient. Great job. Fair price.

Description of Work
Carpet Stretching

10/28/2015

Tom F.

Got excellent service from the people in the store on choosing resilient vinyl flooring. Paid $25 to get an estimate, and then had the vinyl installed. Good selection of quality flooring and generally good and well fitting installation. But the installer complained a lot about the layout of my basement and about his employer -- guess he thought the job would be easier. This was on a Friday, and when he saw the job would take longer than the 1 day I was promised, he said he couldn't return to finish until the following Friday. I had to call the store to complain and then he agreed to come back next day to finish the job. He also finished one edge with cove molding that doesn't match the color of the floor -- not sure why but he convinced me it was the best way. Also had an issue with the estimate -- the estimator gave me the price on a slip of paper without any itemization of the extra charges beyond the advertised "installed price." The extras cost around $1,000, and did include removing carpet and skim coating the floor, but in retrospect this seems excessive. The installation was very basic and did not include gluing down the floor, just fitting and laying it in place.

Description of Work
Assist in choosing vinyl flooring for basement, remove carpet, skim coat floor and install resilient vinyl.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Thank you for your feedback, this installer is no longer working for us... As far as the estimate , we are always available to answer any questions regarding charges. When determining the difficulty of a job, it is important to take into account getting a roll of material which is usually 300 to 500lbs. Into your basement. Unfortunately, this occasionally makes for a cranky installer. We have looked at our pricing structure and have made some Adjustments base on our wonderful new installers requirements .

08/05/2015

Scott W.

We just bought a house a decided we needed to replace carpet because of condition and color. We have had mostly wood floors in NY and Travertine Floors in FL, so we were not sure what direction to go. We went to Fred's unsure about color, type and needed pet friendly. Marianne went above and beyond with her customer service! She provided the service we needed that you will not find at big box stores. She pulled out our wall color on paint deck and furniture color swatch to show us how it would look on many different carpets. She really listened and showed us some choices she thought might fit. We took home 3 samples and ended up going with her top pick and we Love it! We want to put it in our Master. We also were on a tight time crunch since we were moving in a very short time and wanted install before move in. Fred's was honest on time frame and got it installed on time!

Description of Work
Installed carpet in our Family Room

03/23/2015

Lorelei D.

We found Fred's Carpet through recommendations on Angie's list. Our experience choosing the carpet in the store was excellent. The saleswoman was very professional and helpful. We were able to get an estimate very quickly and had the carpet installed in just a couple of weeks. The installation was great... very professional staff and no hassles. We have recommended Fred's to a neighbor that was looking for new carpet and they were pleased as well.

Description of Work
Installed 2 rooms of carpeting

02/12/2015

laurel P.

very well Minor adjustment required some time later and they fixed it promptly

Description of Work
2 jobs a floor in my business and a carpet in my home

01/19/2015

Richard G.

Ww have used Fred's for many flooring jobs for over 14 years. They are always neat, clean, punctual, professional, reasonable, and great to work with! They are the reason why local businesses RULE! Thank you, Fred's, and thank you Angie, for a service well worth the price.

Description of Work
Repaired and replaced wood subfloor in bathroom, and laid a BEAUTIFUL designer vinyl tile floor.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Thank you so much for your beautiful review, you were a pleasure to deal with. Sincerely, Marianne

10/20/2014

Barbara H.

The installation went well. Very good service.

Description of Work
THey had a wonderful selection and were very helpful.

08/19/2014

louise M.

We have two sets of stairs that are heavy traffic areas. The last carpet that we had installed (by another carpet store) showed every piece of dust tin spite of asking the salesperson to recommend a carpet for this area. When I arrived at Fred's Carpet the sales person (who I wish I could remember her name) listened to my tale of woe and showed me a carpet that she thought would work. She showed me a few others and gave me samples to bring home. The carpet she selected for me works so well that we probably could get away with cleaning it once a year or every other year. In other words it is exactly what we needed for this area and we are very grateful they helped us. You would assume that this would happen in every carpet store but trust me it doesn't.

Description of Work
installed carpet on stairs

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Thanks for your kind review, you may have had sherry, amber, or myself Marianne help you, we are so happy you love your selection! Thanks again for your vote of confidence !

06/12/2014

John and Gena C.

The job went very well. The sales help was good. The installation guy was good. We are not terribly with the product itself and honestly, I have to go back to them. They were accommodating in terms of letting me bring samples back to the house. They did a nice neat job on the installation. Our stained master carpet has stains on it. One day when I am off from work, I am going in there and show them pictures of it. That would be the only negative thing. When I came in, I told them that we have a dog that occasionally pees. So, we got a stained master carpet and they suggested an extra like stain shield padding which was a good idea which does not allow that to go into the wood. My dog peed on it three times. All three times, I got it flooded up right away and did all the cleaning, but it was the same where the urine was. All my other carpets in the house stained master or not cleans up very well. They do not have that problem.

Description of Work
I used Fred’s Carpet. They installed carpet in my son’s room.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Hello [Member Name] , we would be happy to address your concerns with the carpet, our products are backed by very comprehensive warranties, please call me at your earliest convenience . Marianne Capobianco 368-1850

04/01/2014

Paul J. N.

It went very well. I wasn't really surprised. The installation people were very thorough, clean and they did it in a timely manner. They were very attentive. It was quick.

Description of Work
I used the carpet sales/installation/repair service of Fred's Carpet.

03/19/2014

Roger P.

It was a big job and they did a very good job. We ordered the tile that we wanted 3 months in advance and told them the date we needed the work done. They were supposed to do the work on a Monday and they called at 5:30 on the Saturday before saying they didn't have the tile and that they were closed on Monday, which was something we didn't know. Not only were we upset, the installer was upset because he lost a day's pay because he was expecting to come on that Monday. The tiles came Tuesday morning and the installer picked them up. He started on Tuesday and it took 3 days to do the job. The installer did a great job and the floor is beautiful but Fred's Carpet dropped the ball on ordering the tiles. The workmanship was great. We had no way of judging the price. The installer was punctual and we didn't have any problems with him at all. We probably wouldn't use them again.

Description of Work
We used Fred's Carpet to put in a tile floor in our kitchen, foyer and hallway.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor

We are so sorry that we had to delay your job by one day. This winter has been a challenge , many deliveries had been delayed due to weather, causing hiccups in the installation schedule. We take pride in our professionalism and strive for perfection . We will use your situation as a learning experience, for sure! If you are in the area , please stop by for a complimentary bottle of floor cleaner and an opportunity for us to apologize in person! All the best, Marianne

03/17/2014

Jennifer H.

Most recently we had Fred's Carpet install hardword floors in the living room, dining room, hallway and kitchen. From the selection process to final installation everyone we worked with were attentive to our needs, answered our questions, were most helpful with selection and displayed the utmost professional standards. Of note, Maryanne and Andy were especially helpful and went out of their way to make sure we as customers were very satisfied. Additionally, I redid my son's room to make it my office/guestroom. Maryanne's keen knack for colors and decorating flair were of great help to me in picking just the right stye and shade of carpet. Whenever I go into Fred's to pick anything new, I count on Maryanne's expertise.

Description of Work
Over the years, we have used Fred's Carpet for all of our flooring needs.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Thank you so much, you were a pleasure to work with! All the best, Marianne

02/06/2014

Tony D.

Work was completed when scheduled, floor was expertly installed. I would use Fred's Carpet again!

Description of Work
Removed old vinyl tile and put down new floor tiles.

Category flooring contractor

Thank you, it was a pleasure doing business with you! All the best to you and your family,....marianne

12/03/2013

Matthew M.

The store worked with me in holding the carpeting for a few weeks since I was having some construction work done in he den. When I notified the store that they can deliver the carpeting, they were on time and proceded to do a very professional job. I am very satisfied with the result.

Description of Work
Installed padding and carpeting in den and on staircase.